Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I thought I'd talk a little about my ride today. I started by adjusting the rear derailleur, as I have been having a little trouble. Here is my bike on the stand.

xFjMi.jpg

It was a mildly sunny day with a lot of wind. At some points I was riding 14 mph into a 25 mph wind. Here is a picture to show how windy it is near my house.

WnA2A.jpg

So I got 10 miles from my house and out of the blue it started to rain. We never get rain at this time of the year. Needless to say I wasn't prepared. But I took a break under a bike path rest area.

QT0Ig.jpg

The rain didn't end, so I hopped back on my bike and rode home in the rain. At this point the 25 mph wind that would have pushed me home had become a dead calm. Oh well. :smile: The best part about rain riding is that there are a lot fewer pedestrians on the bike paths to worry about.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Just been out on my Dawes Sardar tourer, bit windy today and was going for a hilly route so with a few weeks off thought this would be best option.

2 hours either directly into the wind or climbing between Wormit and Strathmiglo via Newburgh, followed by a 2 hour respite as I got a massive shove across the Howe of Fife, up Cults hill, down to Kennoway and Leven and a long the East Neuk to Crail, then hit the wind again all the way home.

6hrs. 42mins and 30 seconds
    19.9kmh average
    57kmh max (was holding back on the hills due to road conditions and the wind causing handling issues)
    133.44km total
    And the calculator I use reckons 267 Calories ????????????

Off for a bath I think, no chance of me standing up in a shower.

(GPS failed a couple of times so going to need to stitch the route together)

What calculator are you using? That can't possibly be right! :noway: Did you miss a digit out someplace???!!
  • libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a new hybrid last year. I have a Giant and shes sooooo comfy.

I did a bike ride called round the bay in a day (aussies will know this one) my friend and I did the 50km over the bridge, we really enjoyed the buzz and planned on doing it again this year.... but 70km this time.

now they have changed the course and lengths and now we will be doing 100km. Im happy to do this but my friend is pooping her pants..... I believe we are fit enough and capable.... her hubby does road racing and is putting the fear of god into her :grumble:

the weather has turned rather chilly and damp so she isnt keen to ride outside as much, we do RPM and Im going to get one of those doodads that you put your bike onto and turn it into a spin bike to do some more training.

I must say too, I was in London a month ago and I was mighty impressed at the amount of bike riders dicing with death.... saw one poor girl who looked like she knew how to ride, hammering it down the road with a double decker bus inches from her back wheel.... she was giving the driver some stick... rightly so!!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to post some pics of my new paint job. I painted this over Memorial day weekend as I had the bike apart to upgrade teh Tiagra dirvetrain to Ultegra.

5781761665_a7c68f602c.jpg
    bike1 by zj8674, on Flickr

5781761781_b1e8ab3c24.jpg
    bike3 by zj8674, on Flickr

5782314120_aa18103023.jpg
    bike4 by zj8674, on Flickr
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options

What calculator are you using? That can't possibly be right! :noway: Did you miss a digit out someplace???!!

Yes that's missing a Zero!
    Or I accidentally set it in Motorbike mode
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options

Yes that's missing a Zero!
    Or I accidentally set it in Motorbike mode

LMAO!!!! I did wonder!!! :smile:
  • NiallWallace
    Options
    Yesterday's madness
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/269078

5hrs 28min 50s
    21.1kmh
    115.44km

Headwind all the way back from Milnathort so happy with the speed :-)

SportsTracker: 4126.1 KCal
    Calculator: 2032kcal

I need to get me an HRM
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's madness

5hrs 28min 50s
    21.1kmh
    115.44km

I need to get me an HRM

Great ride!

Well done...

I'm doing the coast to coast in August :noway:
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I cycle to and from work every day, its 9 miles each way so 18 a day. Some days Il go the scenic route along the seafront and do 10.5 miles each way,

Ive noticed a huge difference in my legs and bum area and the weight has fallen off my weighst

I really enjoy it, I go nice and slow (4min 30 miles on flat ground, about 6-7 up hill)

I only get annoyed by one thing and thats car drivers who cut up the cycle lane!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love my bike! :heart: I live in a small town and I ride it everywhere. As soon as the weather is warm enough my bike comes out, gets a tune up, and off I go. :smile:
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Just got my new ride this week. Replacing my hybrid for the rest of tri season at least. I'll post pics when I get a chance, hopefully today.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I cycle to and from work every day, its 9 miles each way so 18 a day. Some days Il go the scenic route along the seafront and do 10.5 miles each way,

Ive noticed a huge difference in my legs and bum area and the weight has fallen off my weighst

I really enjoy it, I go nice and slow (4min 30 miles on flat ground, about 6-7 up hill)

I only get annoyed by one thing and thats car drivers who cut up the cycle lane!

Be happy you have a bike lane, here in Tokyo they are very rare, and totally ignored!

Glad you are enjoying your rides, that is important!:bigsmile:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's madness

5hrs 28min 50s
    21.1kmh
    115.44km

I need to get me an HRM

....and you have ONLY lost 11Kg :noway:

Great effort for sure!

I got a Cat Eye HRM, it works but my iPhone makes it all screwy, so if I want to use it I have to turn off my iPhone. Make sure that the unit you get is shielded from this type of thing.
    Cheers!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Question for you guys.

Since I have switched from my hybrid to my roadie, my left hand gets really palsy after my rides. I can barely move it or use it to do anything. I am trying to switch up the way I am gripping throughout the ride, but nothing seems to be helping. I also bought a little ball to try and strengthen my hand. I have noticed that it is getting worse instead of better. I had my spinning class yesterday and my hand feels weird this morning. I wouldn't think spinning would affect it since the hand positioning is totally different. I am stretching my hands and fore arms before and after riding. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My hands go numb a lot -- so much so that I can't even shift. So, I had my hubby change the angle of my handlebars by 10 degrees so that they're slightly more towards me. It's helped a ton. Before that, on long rides, my back and shoulders would tense up from my posture and I'd be SORE for a few days after. Now I don't too much on my handlebars, if that makes sense, and don't have any back/shoulder muscle aches and my hands are better. They still do go numb from time to time, but it's not near as bad as before.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    <3 bike riding. I picked it back up in the last month. So far in June I have logged 35 miles.
  • NiallWallace
    Options
    ....and you have ONLY lost 11Kg :noway:

Great effort for sure!

Can't really run a decent deficit on those distances, if anything only 25 to 30km worth.
    If you try and avoid eating the exercise calories on that you'll manage around 2 hours before bonking.

Been about a kilo every week except 2 where there was no movement and 1 where I lost half a kilo probably due to no cycling defict.
  • NiallWallace
    Options
    Which route for the C2C?
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Which route for the C2C?

Morcombe to Scarborough (via Sedburgh.)
  • NiallWallace
    Options
    Which route for the C2C?

Morcombe to Scarborough (via Sedburgh.)

Want to give one of the C2C routes a shot some day, just not sure which.