• jimtripin
    jimtripin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi ...... what is 5x5?
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Hi ...... what is 5x5?

5x5 literally means 5 sets of 5 reps, though there is also an underlying philosophy that emphasizes the use of compound muscle/joint barbell exercise like the squat, deadlift, bench press, etc…

For more information on the StrongLifts 5x5 program, read here.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Also, just a note. Mehdi didn't create this program, it was Bill Starr ages ago. Mehdi has packaged up a successful website that has a heap of great info but he definitely didn't create the 5x5 program.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Also, just a note. Mehdi didn't create this program, it was Bill Starr ages ago. Mehdi has packaged up a successful website that has a heap of great info but he definitely didn't create the 5x5 program.
    It is actually more closely related to Ripptoe's Starting Strength. All of Starr's beginner programs (that I am familiar with) use ramped sets and light, medium, and heavy days, whereas SL and SS are linear and performed with all sets across. 

To your point though, no  it is not an original concept created by Mehdi.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    greg,

sorry, i miss quoted him. i think what he says is a caloric surplus on days you train and low carbs on days you dont. but thanks for the clarification.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    This is suppose to fit well with the anabolic diet. I've done 5x5 before and it's great for building strength and size. I'm thinking of doing it again and incorporating the anabolic diet with it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Ripptoe bought 5x5 to the world's attention, specifically through "The Strongest Shall Survive" which was then built upon by the Wichita Falls guys, Pendlay and Rippetoe.

SL 5x5 is more like Rippetoe's routines as has been said, especially in "Practical Programming."

Whatever the history there is NO doubt that 5x5 is an excellent methodology.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    This is suppose to fit well with the anabolic diet. I've done 5x5 before and it's great for building strength and size. I'm thinking of doing it again and incorporating the anabolic diet with it.

That's a good idea actually. I don't follow 5x5 but I'm lifting heavy nevertheless and I'm also following the AD at a slight calorie deficiency. My strength has been improving very well but my bodyfat has definitely come down. If you don't have the book you can get it for free by Googling Anabolic Diet PDF. One of the great things about pairing up the AD with this is that after your two carb-up days your next 2 to 3 workouts are explosive from the built-up glycogen stores.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Did my first set of Deadlifts every yesterday. My spine didn't crack in half and I didn't **** my pants so I think it went well. lol Did 95 pounds, and had 3 plates on each side as a platform. Hopefully it wasn't too high up. In the SL manual, it says you want the bar about 9" off the ground, and my phone is 4.5" so I used that as a measuring tool at the gym to set it up.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, today I added a SL workout in between my Couch to 5K training days (only on week three so it is still pretty easy for me). I have backtracked on my squats from my heaviest so that I'm not sore for running tomorrow. We'll see how it feels.

I tried the bent over rows with dumbbells as someone suggested. I used 30 lbs in each hand. I'm short, I have short arms and a large chest (sorry if TMI) -- due to this I didn't feel like I had a very large range of motion. I couldn't get the weights far enough back to really contract my shoulder blades. I guess I'll see tomorrow whether I used those muscles.

Have a great evening,

Shari
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Nice work schwiggity. 100lbs next time :)

Tigeratty: with rows, I like to use a weight that I can still squeeze the shoulder blades together when they are as high as they can go. You may have too much weight to do this at this stage? Chest size shouldn't matter if you're using db's either :)
  • lakersfan4life
    Options
    can someone give me an idea of whats considered a low carb diet? As in grams allowed per day? or is it a percentage of your daily calories?
  • JNick77
    Options
    Nice work schwiggity. 100lbs next time :)

Tigeratty: with rows, I like to use a weight that I can still squeeze the shoulder blades together when they are as high as they can go. You may have too much weight to do this at this stage? Chest size shouldn't matter if you're using db's either :)

Some trainers recommend holding it at the top for 2seconds too.

@lakersfan4life: There are various ways to eat low-carb. A very basic approach is to stay at 100grams or less per day and then balance the rest between fat and protein. If you want something more specific and structured check out the Anabolic Diet.
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    So my university gym has some stupid no standing overhead press or olympic lifts rule. Am I going to lose out that much if I do seated Overhead Presses instead? (I know it won't be involving as much core or leg stabilizing muscles, however I do run already so I think the stabilizers in my legs are pretty well conditioned).
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    That's farked but as long as you keep upping the weights progressively it should still be ok. Squats and DL's are kings anyway :smile:

So how are you progressing so far? Any form issues?
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    That's farked but as long as you keep upping the weights progressively it should still be ok. Squats and DL's are kings anyway :smile:

So how are you progressing so far? Any form issues?

Squatting low enough is still a bit hard. I need to have a friend do a form check video for me sometime, but everything is feeling better, and I'm setting up visual cues to know that I'm going low enough by checking my form in the mirror when I do a body weight squat and where my eye line is when I'm low enough.

I thought Deadlift was going to be a big issue, but after watching some good videos and reading the SL guide many times over, my DL form seems to be good. I went backwards and did Inverted Rows because I wasn't strong enough yet to do the recommended 65 lb. rows. Got 5x3 inverted rows on the first day of it, so I should be able to move onto rows soon enough.

I'm glad this thread is here. Definitely some great help.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    good stuff mate :)
  • JNick77
    Options
    So my university gym has some stupid no standing overhead press or olympic lifts rule. Am I going to lose out that much if I do seated Overhead Presses instead? (I know it won't be involving as much core or leg stabilizing muscles, however I do run already so I think the stabilizers in my legs are pretty well conditioned).

I've heard of smaller local gyms that don't allow deadlifting and olympic lifts because they don't want the injury risk or the assoiced noise of the weights hitting the ground but a university gym??? How the hell do their football players train without being able to do some olympic lifts at least. Interesting... What school?
  • lakersfan4life
    Options
    this sucks. i have to find a new gym since mine uses the hectagonal weights........
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    this sucks. i have to find a new gym since mine uses the hectagonal weights........
    What's the deal with the recommendation to only use truly round weights? Mine uses octagonal. What's the effective difference?