StrongLifts 5x5

Options
Who here is/has been doing StrongLifts 5x5 program or any other 5x5 program for that matter? I have been seeing this grow in popularity both on MFP and other places and was just curious. Feel free to friend me so that we can all support one another; getting under the barbell is not always easy.

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I started this last week and have suggested multiple times on the site.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I did 5x5 for bench and squats for a while when working on increasing my strength.

I liked it.
    Right now I'm on a high volume program and I've gotta say I'm not a fan. (Neither are my joints)

Gonna go back to something similar soon. Or I may switch to the Layne Norton Power/Hypertrophy split.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I have suggested it many times to people. There is a learning curve to it so most people don’t bother; they would rather stick to their machines. To each their own I guess. Glad to see it growing theough.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I have suggested it many times to people. There is a learning curve to it so most people don’t bother; they would rather stick to their machines. To each their own I guess. Glad to see it growing theough.

Yep. A lot of people don't want to learn how to squat, deadlift, bench, or do any compound lifts for that matter.

I think freeweights and machines BOTH have great benefits. I use them both.
    However, if I had to pick one to use for the rest of my life, definately gonna go with free weights.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I am going to be teaching a weight lifting class using this program over the summer. I figure it's a great way to teach people how to lift with these basic exercises and it will be away from the main gym. Now, just hopefully people will show up. :smile:
  • End6ame
    Options

Yep. A lot of people don't want to learn how to squat, deadlift, bench, or do any compound lifts for that matter.

I think freeweights and machines BOTH have great benefits. I use them both.
    However, if I had to pick one to use for the rest of my life, definately gonna go with free weights.

Yeah, I get the attraction to machines, but with a quick Google search and a little practice, there is nothing you can do with a machine that can't be done with free weights. And the benefits are always going to be better.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I'm game. Read up on it a while ago, but never started.

Gotta admit -- I'm intimidated by the free weight area of the gym.

Can I assume that the free guide on the StrongLifts.com site will outline how to do squats on my own at the gym, without injuring myself? I don't have a buddy at the gym to spot me.
  • End6ame
    Options

Can I assume that the free guide on the StrongLifts.com site will outline how to do squats on my own at the gym, without injuring myself? I don't have a buddy at the gym to spot me.

Yes there are good how-to guides on the website. It's a great program, hope you enjoy.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks Grglandr for starting this topic. With the SL community now being closed off to new members, I would love to have a mini-SL community here on MFP to trade notes.

I started Stronglifts last December and great results so far. And that is with working through injuries and being devastatingly sick earlier this year. I have been blown away by how fast my strength can increase and I look forward to the coming months of growth.

I stick pretty much to the standard of the SL 5x5, but I do also add some of the Rippetoe Starting Strength assistance exercises and occasional light cardio (10-15 min on an elliptical after lifting when I do it).

I am having a challenge though where I am starting to stall on Bench Press. I am curious where others first stalled. I know it is different for everyone. I am 6'5" and stalled first at 155 in sets 4 and 5, but was able to work through it with a couple sessions. Now at 160, same thing. I know how the program treats it, and will work through it. What weight did you first stall on Bench?

It seems a little light to be stalling here for me and it may be that I just need to refine my technique. I also do not always get the best sleep, which could be a factor.
  • ganesha303
    Options

Yes there are good how-to guides on the website. It's a great program, hope you enjoy.

The SL site resources are great, and I also strongly recommend this book, "Starting Strength":
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303238351&sr=8-1

It describes in exhaustive detail all the exercises in the Strong Lifts program, showing proper form and explaining how to be avoid injury.
  • End6ame
    Options
    The newest version of the full guide is not on the website for download at the moment. But I have it in a Google Docs share that Mehdi (creator of StrongLifts) has explicitly gave me permission to provide it through. There are also some spreadsheets for tracking progress and other things.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2_ZhkS25DtrMjk1YWMyNDgtOThlNi00ZDBiLWJkOWMtZTIyMTVjNmFmNTA5&hl=en
  • End6ame
    Options

The SL site resources are great, and I also strongly recommend this book, "Starting Strength":
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303238351&sr=8-1

It describes in exhaustive detail all the exercises in the Strong Lifts program, showing proper form and explaining how to be avoid injury.

+1 The book is excellent!
  • End6ame
    Options
    Thanks Grglandr for starting this topic. With the SL community now being closed off to new members, I would love to have a mini-SL community here on MFP to trade notes.

I started Stronglifts last December and great results so far. And that is with working through injuries and being devastatingly sick earlier this year. I have been blown away by how fast my strength can increase and I look forward to the coming months of growth.

I stick pretty much to the standard of the SL 5x5, but I do also add some of the Rippetoe Starting Strength assistance exercises and occasional light cardio (10-15 min on an elliptical after lifting when I do it).

I am having a challenge though where I am starting to stall on Bench Press. I am curious where others first stalled. I know it is different for everyone. I am 6'5" and stalled first at 155 in sets 4 and 5, but was able to work through it with a couple sessions. Now at 160, same thing. I know how the program treats it, and will work through it. What weight did you first stall on Bench?

It seems a little light to be stalling here for me and it may be that I just need to refine my technique. I also do not always get the best sleep, which could be a factor.

I haven’t stalled, per se, on bench press yet. I had a shoulder injury a while back which prevented me from doing most exercises for a while. When I restarted it has taken me longer to build up my bench press than the standard 5lbs per session, sometimes taking two or three. I anticipate a stall coming soon though, as I am starting to struggle more and more.

I hurt my should benching 165lbs, (relaxed my form while re-racking) So I guess you could count that as a stall, as I was out for about two to three months.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    The newest version of the full guide is not on the website for download at the moment. But I have it in a Google Docs share that Mehdi (creator of StrongLifts) has explicitly gave me permission to provide it through. There are also some spreadsheets for tracking progress and other things.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2_ZhkS25DtrMjk1YWMyNDgtOThlNi00ZDBiLWJkOWMtZTIyMTVjNmFmNTA5&hl=en
    Thanks!
  • ganesha303
    Options
    I haven’t stalled, per se, on bench press yet. I had a shoulder injury a while back which prevented me from doing most exercises for a while. When I restarted it has taken me longer to build up my bench press than the standard 5lbs per session, sometimes taking two or three. I anticipate a stall coming soon though, as I am starting to struggle more and more.

I hurt my should benching 165lbs, (relaxed my form while re-racking) So I guess you could count that as a stall, as I was out for about two to three months.

I would not consider that a stall. Injury is different. Interesting. I assume you have hit some stalls on the Squats and DL's considering the weight you are doing? If so, where did you start hitting those?

If Medhi's formula is right for squat stalls (1.5x body weight), I should not hit it until 330 lbs!
  • End6ame
    Options

I would not consider that a stall. Injury is different. Interesting. I assume you have hit some stalls on the Squats and DL's considering the weight you are doing? If so, where did you start hitting those?

If Medhi's formula is right for squat stalls (1.5x body weight), I should not hit it until 330 lbs!

My first stall on squats was at 245lbs (body weight at the time). Then, I didn’t stall but it took me three attempts to break into the 300’s. I have just currently stalled at my 340 and am working back up in 3x5 and working out some form issues that I noticed under the heavier weight. On rows I am stalled at 140 and am now working back up. Press was at 105, now again at 125 (I hate press). Deadlift I have never stalled on, I deliberately took some time to solely focus on grip strength for a bit though, which is why it is lower than my squat.
  • ganesha303
    Options
    My first stall on squats was at 245lbs (body weight at the time). Then, I didn’t stall but it took me three attempts to break into the 300’s. I have just currently stalled at my 340 and am working back up in 3x5 and working out some form issues that I noticed under the heavier weight. On rows I am stalled at 140 and am now working back up. Press was at 105, now again at 125 (I hate press). Deadlift I have never stalled on, I deliberately took some time to solely focus on grip strength for a bit though, which is why it is lower than my squat.

After you stalled, do you stall again at each 5lb increment? Or once past a block, do you start getting 5lb increments on the first try again?

Also, how disciplined are you on sleep?
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Look very interesting! Would love to try it out.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx

try this link. it will set up a program for you. message me if you have any questions. i did the power cleans and overhead presses and did front squats instead of back squats. it's pretty intense, but alot more fun than 3 sets of 10-12 reps. zzzzzzzzz
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

there are some good Ripptoe videos on youtube for bench techniques
    can't access them at work or i'd paste a link