StrongLifts 5x5

Options

Replies

• InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have suggested it many times to people. There is a learning curve to it so most people don’t bother; they would rather stick to their machines. To each their own I guess. Glad to see it growing theough.

Yep. A lot of people don't want to learn how to squat, deadlift, bench, or do any compound lifts for that matter.

I think freeweights and machines BOTH have great benefits. I use them both.
    However, if I had to pick one to use for the rest of my life, definately gonna go with free weights.

I wish I could squat but I blew my knees out :(...I defiantly agree that free weights are the best I get most my weightlifting info from Bodybuilding.com they have a ton of knowledge..I am trying to get as big as I can with out looking like a freak.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have suggested it many times to people. There is a learning curve to it so most people don’t bother; they would rather stick to their machines. To each their own I guess. Glad to see it growing theough.

Yep. A lot of people don't want to learn how to squat, deadlift, bench, or do any compound lifts for that matter.

However, if I had to pick one to use for the rest of my life, definately gonna go with free weights.

I wish I could squat but I blew my knees out :(...I defiantly agree that free weights are the best I get most my weightlifting info from Bodybuilding.com they have a ton of knowledge..I am trying to get as big as I can with out looking like a freak.

Just checked out Bodybuilding.com and it looks amazing, thanks for the knowledge yall!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Just checked out Bodybuilding.com and it looks amazing, thanks for the knowledge yall!

if you want good info go to the powerlifting forum. those guys will actually help you. there's a LOT of junk on that board, but also a lot of good info. you just have to sort through it.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll stall on bench until I get close to 200 as I was doing 90 lb dumbbell press before I started this. I'm going to stall quick on the OHP, however, since I hadn't really worked my shoulders. I have no idea where I'll stall on squat and deadlift as my legs are already strong.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    My first stall on squats was at 245lbs (body weight at the time). Then, I didn’t stall but it took me three attempts to break into the 300’s. I have just currently stalled at my 340 and am working back up in 3x5 and working out some form issues that I noticed under the heavier weight. On rows I am stalled at 140 and am now working back up. Press was at 105, now again at 125 (I hate press). Deadlift I have never stalled on, I deliberately took some time to solely focus on grip strength for a bit though, which is why it is lower than my squat.

After you stalled, do you stall again at each 5lb increment? Or once past a block, do you start getting 5lb increments on the first try again?

Also, how disciplined are you on sleep?

Once you stall, deload, and work back through your stall point the rate at which you stall again really depends on the lift. For OHP, it is very soon; It was only 20lbs later for me. Other exercises are a bit longer with squats and deads being the longest. I was able to add 70lbs to my squat before stalling again. That being said, just because you passed your previous stall point and have not stalled again yet, does not make the lifts easier, they are still brutal as hell and will take everything you have to complete.

As far as sleep goes, <chuckling> I have a two year old that is going through a phase of waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to play, read stories, eat, potty, you name it. So if I get seven uninterrupted hours, I am quite happy. Our second child is also due June 1st, so it is not going to get any better.
  • End6ame
    Options
    I'm game. Read up on it a while ago, but never started.

Gotta admit -- I'm intimidated by the free weight area of the gym.

Can I assume that the free guide on the StrongLifts.com site will outline how to do squats on my own at the gym, without injuring myself? I don't have a buddy at the gym to spot me.

http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx

try this link. it will set up a program for you. message me if you have any questions. i did the power cleans and overhead presses and did front squats instead of back squats. it's pretty intense, but alot more fun than 3 sets of 10-12 reps. zzzzzzzzz

Madcow is an intermediate program that uses weekly linear progression rather than per workout linear progression, as a result, progress is slower than on SL5x5. Any beginner has the capacity to increase their work weight by at least 5lbs on most lifts, per workout for a while and should take advantage of this. The problem is that some people with some lifting experience allow their ego to get in the way and refuse to call themselves a beginner and jump straight to an intermediate program.

A good progression in programs from beginner to advanced would be:
    Beginner: StrongLifts 5x5 OR Starting Strength (perform as long as they work)
    Intermediate: Madcow 5x5 (2-3 cycles) AND/OR Texas Method (2-3 cycles)
    Pre- Advanced: Wendler’s 5/3/1
    Advanced: StrongLifts Advanced OR Starr/Pendlay 5x5 (perform as long as they work)

This approach would maximize an individual’s muscle building potential, taking full advantage of the beginner period and working up to periodized routines. Depending on the individual, this is 3-4 years of programming.

NOTE: Some people may disagree with me on the placement of 5/3/1 in the list. I chose to list it as pre-advanced because progresses is slower than the two intermediate programs listed but faster than the periodized advanced programs listed. However, if you have mixed goals both strength and endurance or conditioning (things which are typically opposites) for example 5/3/1 would be a great program to pick so that you could incorporate your endurance or conditioning training without drastically compromising your recovery or strength gains.
  • hroush
    Options
    Twas my third night of 'A' tonight. It's quite fun doing this right after my spin class, but that will only continue for 2 more weeks. Found my left hamstring in sets 4 and 5 of squats. I love going down this low, definitely feel it a lot more than the way I was doing it.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Twas my third night of 'A' tonight. It's quite fun doing this right after my spin class, but that will only continue for 2 more weeks.

I save my cardio for after weights. If I do it beforehand I am too wiped to make it through the lifts...
  • hroush
    Options
    Twas my third night of 'A' tonight. It's quite fun doing this right after my spin class, but that will only continue for 2 more weeks.

I save my cardio for after weights. If I do it beforehand I am too wiped to make it through the lifts...

I did squats before my spin class once and it took me quite a while to get going in my spin class. Because I'm still so early in the program, it isn't that hard to do afterward.
  • ganesha303
    Options
    Because I'm still so early in the program, it isn't that hard to do afterward.

Indeed. Enjoy it while it lasts. And keep up the good work. :)
  • hroush
    Options
    Found a new interesting place to build up a little lactic acid, in my right forearm. Squats felt great last night and I think I went the lowest I ever have. Could definitely tell that apparel matters for how far you can go in squats.
  • ganesha303
    Options
    So what, if any, supplementation are you guys using?
  • hroush
    Options

I have EAS vanilla whey protein that I take with whole milk after my workouts. I also use this in a recipe for homemade protein bars that I use for my morning snack. Otherwise I usually have a cheeseburger or other high protein meat after my workout.
  • thkelly
    Options

whey protein
    creatine
    fish oil
    multi vitamin
    joint supplement

those are pretty much the staples imo
    sometimes i'll use a pre workout or just take a caffeine tab for a boost of energy
  • End6ame
    Options

At Large Nutrition Nitrean Protein Blend (Breakfast and Evenings)
    Muscle Milk 11oz RTD (Post-workout)
    GNC Mega Men Sport Multivitamin
    GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil
  • ganesha303
    Options
    I use creatine pre-workout and glutamine post-workout. I did a little research that seemed to suggest these are good things to do, but honestly do not know a whole lot about it. I'd be interested in opinions on these.

I also take a plethora of vitamins daily, but most applicable to training is Glucosamine Chondroitin, which has been an amazing wonder for my joint health. I also take omega 3-6-9 oil complex, b-complex, A, E, C, multi, Slenium, Royal Jelly, and a few others. FYI, I get my vitamins through puritan.com, who have great quality and amazing prices. Once a year they do a 3 for the price of one sale. I usually just order a year's supply when they do that.

Lots of Whey of course and Casein every night before bed.
  • thkelly
    Options
    I use creatine pre-workout and glutamine post-workout. I did a little research that seemed to suggest these are good things to do, but honestly do not know a whole lot about it. I'd be interested in opinions on these.

I also take a plethora of vitamins daily, but most applicable to training is Glucosamine Chondroitin, which has been an amazing wonder for my joint health. I also take omega 3-6-9 oil complex, b-complex, A, E, C, multi, Slenium, Royal Jelly, and a few others. FYI, I get my vitamins through puritan.com, who have great quality and amazing prices. Once a year they do a 3 for the price of one sale. I usually just order a year's supply when they do that.

Lots of Whey of course and Casein every night before bed.

I'm not a Doctor. i just play one on tv

Creatine is simple. buy creatine monohydrate. try to make sure is has a 'creapure' label on the product somewhere
    take a teaspoon of creatine (approx 5g), put it in your mouth and wash it down with whatever drink you want anytime of day. the timing doesn't matter as long as you take 3-5 g a day and keep your body saturated it will work

there are a lot of glutamine haters out there. the consensius seems to be that glutamine supplementation has no effect on building muscle. i have heard that it helps your immune system but don't quote me on that. i've read a lot of people taking it because they want to keep from getting run down and sick.
  • End6ame
    Options
    Creatine is simple. buy creatine monohydrate. try to make sure is has a 'creapure' label on the product somewhere
    take a teaspoon of creatine (approx 5g), put it in your mouth and wash it down with whatever drink you want anytime of day. the timing doesn't matter as long as you take 3-5 g a day and keep your body saturated it will work

^^ This on creatine. I do not take it at the moment but have read a lot about it in preparation for taking it in the future. I want to get as far as I can get without it, on food alone, until I hit a wall, then I will supplement with creatine. No particular reason, I just prefer the most natural route.
  • ganesha303
    Options
    there are a lot of glutamine haters out there. the consensius seems to be that glutamine supplementation has no effect on building muscle. i have heard that it helps your immune system but don't quote me on that. i've read a lot of people taking it because they want to keep from getting run down and sick.

What I read about it was it aids in muscle recovery. If it poses no risk, the cost is so minimal that if it does nothing, it is no big deal. The potential gain outweighs the absence of loss I suppose. Since I have pretty much used it since I started SL, I have no frame of reference without it. If it really is useless though, it would be good to know :)
  • ganesha303
    Options
    Oh I also wanted to post this tip in case it would help anyone else. I have found certain areas of my body tend to be sore post-lifting. I especially had issues with my adductors. There were a couple days I skipped training because they were so sore. Even though I stretched them regularly, they still had a lot of issues. So I ran across this little cheap device:

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx?ID=4404&CategoryID=363&img=247&kbid=1066

And just rolling it over my problem areas each day has created dramatic improvement in my challenge areas.