StrongLifts 5x5

Options

Replies

• kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I feel funny posting here as it looks like I am the only girl but here goes.

I was directed to the stronglift site by one of you guys in another post and read through everything. I decided to give it a go. Cardio and faffing around with weights is just not doing it for me. I did my first day today and had a few questions.....

1) Doing the row my neck got very sore (the muscles that go from the neck to the shoulders). I assume that means I am doing something wrong but am not sure what it is. Any ideas? I was only on 65 lbs as it was my first day.

2) I am using one of those machines at work that keeps the bar in a track and you can rotate it to lock it in at any level. Medhi mentions on his website that the bar weighs 45 lbs so to just start with the bar. When I tried that it seemed WAY too light so I am wondering if the bar is lighter on those machines? I ended up adding 15 lbs to either side and starting there but worried that I may have started too high and am going to have issues in a few workouts.

3) Becuase the exercises didn't seem too bad yet I also did 15 min cardio first and did another weight routine (with small weights) for 10 min after. Is that a mistake? Should I just stick to the 5 x 5 or is it ok to add more?

4) I work out at work, but only work 4 days a week so that means I will only get to do it twice a week. How should I handle the loading after the longer break?

I am sure I will think of more :-)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I hope that other girls will follow your lead and join us.

1. Where are you looking when you do the row? Don't try to look straight ahead as it will hurt your neck, look a couple feet in front of you. Just let your head be natural. If this isn't the problem, let us know.

2. I believe these are the smith machines that Medhi so despises. Do they have a regular power rack? My guess is no since you are working out at work. I will be going to work out in 1.5 hours and I will try to inquire about the weight as my gym has one as well, but my guess is it would be the same. I would say if the extra 30 lbs wasn't difficult for you, then it should be fine and just continue adding 5 lbs. Also remember to increase your deadlift by the same amount. I started out with some weight on the bar as well, but I had also been doing squats for a couple months before I started.

3. I taught a 45 minute spin class when I started my stronglifts (spin class and then right to lifting), so I think you should be fine. When it becomes more difficult, you may find that you don't need to do this extra any more.

4. hmm... If there is absolutely no way you could work out that third day, I would say starting out that you could do all three days as mon, tues, thurs. When you start getting into the heavier weights (maybe do this for only a couple weeks) and still can't do a third day without rest, change it to mon / thurs. This way you even out the resting period. I would keep adding weight as the program says, though progress will be slower.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I started doing this about 2 weeks ago. I bypassed SL5X5 and went straight to Madcow. I was at a bodyfat plateau and by cutting out cardio and lifting heavy I've dropped 2.5% bodyfat in 2 weeks.
  • hroush
    Options
    I started doing this about 2 weeks ago. I bypassed SL5X5 and went straight to Madcow. I was at a bodyfat plateau and by cutting out cardio and lifting heavy I've dropped 2.5% bodyfat in 2 weeks.

Nice. I haven't even read the madcow program as I knew I wasn't proportioned well for some muscle groups and wanted to start at the beginning. I have been doing this for about 2 months and am now teaching it as a class at my gym. Not too many have showed up so far though.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    I was going to start SL5x5 a couple of weeks back and my chronic meniscus tear decided to act up. While my doctor thinks the torn part has returned to where it should be, I am not convinced. It may be partially back, but usually when it goes back the pain is all gone and my knee returns to full mobility. Such is not the case. While I can walk on it is still uncomfortable and I don't have full extension. It is slowly getting better, or maybe I am just getting used to the pain, either way for now heavy lifting is out. I am waiting to hear from an ortho surgeon, but just heard there is a huge backup and wait for them in London Ontario which is where the referral went. Hopefully something comes through soon as this is putting a big hitch in my workout schedule. I will have to research Madcow, I am not familiar with it.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    I was going to start SL5x5 a couple of weeks back and my chronic meniscus tear decided to act up. While my doctor thinks the torn part has returned to where it should be, I am not convinced. It may be partially back, but usually when it goes back the pain is all gone and my knee returns to full mobility. Such is not the case. While I can walk on it is still uncomfortable and I don't have full extension. It is slowly getting better, or maybe I am just getting used to the pain, either way for now heavy lifting is out. I am waiting to hear from an ortho surgeon, but just heard there is a huge backup and wait for them in London Ontario which is where the referral went. Hopefully something comes through soon as this is putting a big hitch in my workout schedule. I will have to research Madcow, I am not familiar with it.

Madcow is on the SL5X5 site.
  • kerriknox
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Unfortunately with two wee kids at home I can't come in on my days off so it is just 2 x a week but I do a bootcamp on Monday's as well (at work). Maybe I can get the hubby to coordinate his schedule so I can pop in on Sundays or something.

I feel good after this morning though!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    2) I am using one of those machines at work that keeps the bar in a track and you can rotate it to lock it in at any level. Medhi mentions on his website that the bar weighs 45 lbs so to just start with the bar. When I tried that it seemed WAY too light so I am wondering if the bar is lighter on those machines? I ended up adding 15 lbs to either side and starting there but worried that I may have started too high and am going to have issues in a few workouts.

a standard "olympic" barbell weighs 45 lbs, but you're using a smith machine and the bar is lighter because it's on the rails. it can weigh anywhere from 15lbs to 35lbs depending on the machine.
  • hroush
    Options
    I asked about the one at my gym. It is a precor and I was told that bar weighs 42 lbs. It sounds like you'll have to ask about your particular model or maybe it will say on the machine itself.
  • kerriknox
    Options
    Yeah - I checked on the machine and it didn't say anywhere. I think it muct be closer to the 15 lbs mentioned earlier. I can easily lift it with one arm. I have fairly strong arms from hauling around my two kids, but not that strong! :-)
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Had a good one tonight. Finished off my deadlifts with 405 for 5 reps. Weights are continuing to move up. Hate the standing overhead press though.
  • hroush
    Options
    Very nice deadlift! I did 205 yesterday. I hate the OHP as well, mostly because I suck at it.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Very nice deadlift! I did 205 yesterday. I hate the OHP as well, mostly because I suck at it.

Agreed. I wear a belt but it messes with my lower back and shoulder girdle.
  • thkelly
    Options
    Had a good one tonight. Finished off my deadlifts with 405 for 5 reps. Weights are continuing to move up. Hate the standing overhead press though.

nice deadlift man.

where did you play college football?

i love OHP. i've switched to push press lately to try and break through a plateau.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I checked on the machine and it didn't say anywhere. I think it muct be closer to the 15 lbs mentioned earlier. I can easily lift it with one arm. I have fairly strong arms from hauling around my two kids, but not that strong! :-)

What is the brand name on the machine? If you know that google is your friend, at the very least it would get you to the manufacturers web-site and you could e-mail them.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

where did you play college football?

Division III school in Berea, Ohio called Baldwin-Wallace. Was also trained by Al Snow's (WWE/ECW) "Bodyslammers" and did a 7 year stint as a pro wrestler.
  • kerriknox
    Options

What is the brand name on the machine? If you know that google is your friend, at the very least it would get you to the manufacturers web-site and you could e-mail them.

I took a look today and it is 'tuff stuff' so I went to their website and of course it doesn't say anything. I asked the gym manager and she wasn't sure either and guessed more like 5 lbs so I put 25 lbs on either side for my 50 lb squat. It was hard but not too bad.

Here's another question though. The fact that I am using this rack and not a bar - does that mean I am not getting as good a workout since my core muscles don't need to keep the bar in line - the machine is doing that for me?
  • thkelly
    Options

I took a look today and it is 'tuff stuff' so I went to their website and of course it doesn't say anything. I asked the gym manager and she wasn't sure either and guessed more like 5 lbs so I put 25 lbs on either side for my 50 lb squat. It was hard but not too bad.

Here's another question though. The fact that I am using this rack and not a bar - does that mean I am not getting as good a workout since my core muscles don't need to keep the bar in line - the machine is doing that for me?

you have to be careful squatting in the smith machine that your knees don't go past your feet because that puts too much stress on your knees. i personally don't like squatting in the smith machine because it feels too awkward.

as for your question about using your core muscles you're right in your thinking, but if you're doing the lift properly you will still get a decent workout. you're just not engaging your core quite as much as you would if you were using a regular squat rack.
  • hroush
    Options
    I also agree with the awkwardness of the smith machines, it's much easier to balance the bar without the constraints of the machine.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Had a nice little workout going this morning. Finished my squat sets with 335 x 5 and then I tweaked my left front delt on my 4th set of bench presses. Icing it right now....aaaargh !