StrongLifts 5x5

Options

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Nice, have fun with that icing. I'll be off to do my workout in less than an hour.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Not a conventional "StrongLifts" exercise but I think I'm going to dump the bench press in favor of weighted vest pushups. Every time I get into a bench press routine I wrench my front delt. For some reason I don't have this issue with pushups, even with the 60 lb weighted vest.

At 43 years old with almost 30 of that being in a weight room, I have plenty of size to begin with so I'm not looking to get huge. I'll stick with the squats, rows & deads and may also replace the OHP with standing dumbbell presses, which put less stress on that front delt.
  • hroush
    Options
    Not a conventional "StrongLifts" exercise but I think I'm going to dump the bench press in favor of weighted vest pushups. Every time I get into a bench press routine I wrench my front delt. For some reason I don't have this issue with pushups, even with the 60 lb weighted vest.

At 43 years old with almost 30 of that being in a weight room, I have plenty of size to begin with so I'm not looking to get huge. I'll stick with the squats, rows & deads and may also replace the OHP with standing dumbbell presses, which put less stress on that front delt.

Found this in men's health and thought I'd pass it along:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/deltoid-muscle-strain-front
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Who here is/has been doing StrongLifts 5x5 program or any other 5x5 program for that matter? I have been seeing this grow in popularity both on MFP and other places and was just curious. Feel free to friend me so that we can all support one another; getting under the barbell is not always easy.

Thanks for bringing this up. I saw this last week and started looking into it. I really like how this program is laid out and will be doing it soon. My problem now is doing a proper squat, my old bones and joints need a little work to get into a real squat. So I’m working on flexibility and technique without weights for awhile and will start the program in a few weeks.
  • freerange
    Options

I know you just said you have been in the weight room for years, but are you doing your bench correctly? I too have done my share of weight lifting in the past but just recently I learned I have been doing the bench wrong all these years. I always had my elbows straight out perpendicular to my body. But since I started looking into SL 5X5 I decided to goggle the exercises to see if I could get some youtube examples of technique, and found your elbows should be closer to your body to prevent shoulder injury, who knew you could injure your shoulder doing bench? I always thought it was just because I had weak shoulders.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

I know you just said you have been in the weight room for years, but are you doing your bench correctly? I too have done my share of weight lifting in the past but just recently I learned I have been doing the bench wrong all these years. I always had my elbows straight out perpendicular to my body. But since I started looking into SL 5X5 I decided to goggle the exercises to see if I could get some youtube examples of technique, and found your elbows should be closer to your body to prevent shoulder injury, who knew you could injure your shoulder doing bench? I always thought it was just because I had weak shoulders.

Seems like pinning the elbows in closer to the body would be more of a tricep (close grip type movement) movement and would put a good deal of stress on that anterior delt?
  • freerange
    Options

Seems like pinning the elbows in closer to the body would be more of a tricep (close grip type movement) movement and would put a good deal of stress on that anterior delt?

I know, that is why I've always done it the other way. The one I watched didn't really pin the elbow in "close" just closer, maybe more like 45 degrees instead of 90 I was doing before. Something to read up on more I think.
  • hroush
    Options
    Who here is/has been doing StrongLifts 5x5 program or any other 5x5 program for that matter? I have been seeing this grow in popularity both on MFP and other places and was just curious. Feel free to friend me so that we can all support one another; getting under the barbell is not always easy.

Thanks for bringing this up. I saw this last week and started looking into it. I really like how this program is laid out and will be doing it soon. My problem now is doing a proper squat, my old bones and joints need a little work to get into a real squat. So I’m working on flexibility and technique without weights for awhile and will start the program in a few weeks.

Do the stretching video that is in the info on the how to squat page, it helps immensely. Do it multiple times everyday if you can. Also if you search the site for stretches you can find other ideas as well. I currently do leg swings front/back, across, and the first one mentioned.
  • freerange
    Options

Do the stretching video that is in the info on the how to squat page, it helps immensely. Do it multiple times everyday if you can. Also if you search the site for stretches you can find other ideas as well. I currently do leg swings front/back, across, and the first one mentioned.

Thanks I will do that
  • hroush
    Options
    Just got back from my class, which no one showed up to :ohwell: , so I lifted on my own. Did body weight squat today (yay!), finished the OHP set I failed on thursday (yay!), and did 225 deadlift (yay!). There was another guy lifting across from me doing some serious squats / lunges and he said I had good form in my deadlift (yay!). So, today was a good day.
  • freerange
    Options

Wanted to bump this back up to the top, would really like to get a support group going here. AND to tell BR1986, I watched a Rippetoe video last night on bench press, he mentioned the same thing, to bring your elbows in a little from 90 degrees to take stress off the shoulder.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Interesting...perhaps I'll try that.

Finished up my squats with 350 x 5 this morning. Hoisting that weight at 4;30am isn't exactly "fun." :tongue: Glad I did because it's supposed to be 95-98 degrees here in Ohio today. Also works out well because I can complete my LeanGains (16/8) fast the right way. Will likely train at that time from now on but not sure how much my body is going to like me on deadlift days. :happy:
  • freerange
    Options
    Interesting...perhaps I'll try that.

Finished up my squats with 350 x 5 this morning. Hoisting that weight at 4;30am isn't exactly "fun." :tongue: Glad I did because it's supposed to be 95-98 degrees here in Ohio today. Also works out well because I can complete my LeanGains (16/8) fast the right way. Will likely train at that time from now on but not sure how much my body is going to like me on deadlift days. :happy:

Nice workout, I've been doing unweighted squats the last couple days and flexability stuff, can already squat deeper, another week or so and I should be ready.
  • hroush
    Options
    My regular (guy) and another girl showed up to my lifting class today, so now I've had 3 girls and 2 guys in total come to my class. After my class and workout was over, I got my body fat % measured via skin fold and Omron handheld, here are the results:

Skin fold: 10.92 (first calc), 11.7 (second calc). She went through the numbers twice, so I don't which is the "right" one.
    Omron: 16% with BMI of 26.

Obviously I like the skin fold numbers more, though with the Omron number I probably have more hope of losing the gut.

I plan on meeting with her again in two months to view my progress. She also took body measurements, so I really look forward to seeing those changes.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My regular (guy) and another girl showed up to my lifting class today, so now I've had 3 girls and 2 guys in total come to my class. After my class and workout was over, I got my body fat % measured via skin fold and Omron handheld, here are the results:

what kind of class do you teach?
  • hroush
    Options

what kind of class do you teach?

I teach a weight lifting class based on the SL5x5. I show people how to do each lift and teach them the program. Should they return to class, I monitor their form and answer any questions.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

Skin fold: 10.92 (first calc), 11.7 (second calc). She went through the numbers twice, so I don't which is the "right" one.

Obviously I like the skin fold numbers more, though with the Omron number I probably have more hope of losing the gut.

I plan on meeting with her again in two months to view my progress. She also took body measurements, so I really look forward to seeing those changes.

I actually have one of those Omron hand held monitors and I thought it was WAY off. I went and got an "official" measurement at a Bod Pod. After I got the reading at the Bod Pod I used the Omron to see how much it was off. It was the EXACT same reading to the .10.
  • hroush
    Options

I actually have one of those Omron hand held monitors and I thought it was WAY off. I went and got an "official" measurement at a Bod Pod. After I got the reading at the Bod Pod I used the Omron to see how much it was off. It was the EXACT same reading to the .10.

My school has the ability to do water weight measurements, but they are remodeling that room right now, so I couldn't do that. The girl that was helping me was fairly new at doing skin folds, so she may not have been doing it right. This also took place after I lifted, so that might have changed the results as well.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Today's workout:

Squat 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 315 x 5, 355 x 5

Pushups (bodyweight only...dropped bench press due to delt injury) 5 sets

Bent Rows 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5

Pullups 3 sets (body weight)

Abs
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I haven't used StrongLifts, but I generally like 5x5 programs.

I was just looking at the website. It appears they use five exercises (squat, bench press, barbell row, overhead press and deadlift) and all of them except for deadlifts start with just the empty bar. Is that right? Assuming it is and you just add 5 pounds a week like it says, how long are you supposed to do these same basic routines? They're great exercises, for sure, but you can't just do the same routine forever and expect to continue getting results. Also, why start with just the bar if you can already do much more than that?