Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You're trying to gain muscle, right?

How much are you trying to gain?

Shortish term goals are: as much as possible to be able to deadlift 180kg, squat 140kg and overhead press whatever body weight I am at the time :smile:
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You're a couple of beasts.

Real eating machines.

I feel like such a pansy for having a hard time with 1200.

Speaking of which, it's about time for another feeding. ****.

4000 calories on a IF routine is freaking brutal.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You're trying to gain muscle, right?

How much are you trying to gain?

Shortish term goals are: as much as possible to be able to deadlift 180kg, squat 140kg and overhead press whatever body weight I am at the time :smile:

Uh, holy ****.

You are a man-beast.

I'm impressed.

And also trying to convert kg to lbs. :D
  • hush7hush
    Options
    You're a couple of beasts.

Real eating machines.

I feel like such a pansy for having a hard time with 1200.

Speaking of which, it's about time for another feeding. ****.

4000 calories on a IF routine is freaking brutal.

Just thinking about it makes my stomach stretch. Ugh.

And AGAIN, time to eat. Final feeding of the day/night/whatever.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    400lb DL, 300lb squat and SOHP will be about 175lbs :smile:
  • hush7hush
    Options
    400lb DL, 300lb squat and SOHP will be about 175lbs :smile:

Uh, holy ****.

I can't even lift 80lbs without wanting to die.
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow! this would be great for when i start school again cause i wont have much time to workout or to plan healthy meals.

this is me, but i still think its easy to plan healthy meals!
  • hush7hush
    Options
    An hour away from my 2nd 16 done! I'm liking it so far. I've actually dropped about 4lbs. But that's also the weight I jetted up over the past couple weeks, so I'm finally coming back down. I really think IF is to "blame". [: I'm liking this.
  • holly_v
    Options
    An hour away from my 2nd 16 done! I'm liking it so far. I've actually dropped about 4lbs. But that's also the weight I jetted up over the past couple weeks, so I'm finally coming back down. I really think IF is to "blame". [: I'm liking this.

wow, great job. i hope i have that much success!
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Hah, I'm sure it's just dropping off all the water weight from the mass amount of sodium filled foods I ate!

Question for my IFers: Do you exercise before or after your eating times?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Hush: re strength stuff. Well I didn't start out that strong. Takes a lot of hard work! And I'm not quite there yet :tongue:

I exercise whenever I have time which is usually straight after work at 5:30 on weekdays. As my eating window is 1-9pm that is during eating time. If I workout on the weekend in the morning, then I will take 10g BCAA's to help prevent catabolism.

P.S 1500 cals in 45 mins last night. BOOM!
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Good lord.

I want to get stronger. Do you have any tips? (As in, what sort of workouts should I be doing?) I'm pretty strength-stupid, but I'm a Cardio Queen. [:

I've been working out after work (6am), and my feeding window is 7pm-3am. SO it's after my eating window, but since my last meal is usually a piece of fruit, I feel like it's the perfect timing to utilize the carbs.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Slight tangent but I will post here anyway.

I do this beginners program since I have started strength training.

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If you make sets and reps, add 5lbs (or a bit less for upper body movements). If you fail to make prescribed, sets and reps 3 times in a row, drop the weight 10% and go again.

The only thing I changed from the above is I do weighted pullups instead of BB curls. All big compound movements, no fluff exercises, no tricep kickbacks or calf raises. Need to build strength with the basic compound lifts first.

You're workout time is far from ideal there being after your feeding window. Ideally, your largest meal of the day should be after your workout so you are pretty much doing the opposite. I would be trying to wake up a bit earlier and do your gym session before you start work and eating window opens.

When I do a fasted workout, I take 10g BCAA's before and 10g every 2 hours after to prevent catabolism. All exercise is catabolic, so you need to eat to create an anabolic environment. Hence, me eating 1500 cals after my workout last night :smile:
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Bleh. It's so hard to get my workouts in before, but I guess I'll have to try!

Does that apply only for strength, or for my mass amounts of cardio, too?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    even moreso for cardio. Cardio is more catabolic than strength training. Have you ever heard bodybuilders talking about their muscles falling off from running :P Well that is an extreme broscience example but I hope you understand.

But it does depend on intensity level as well ie. I don't worry about my bike rides to work or anything like that during my fasting time. I ride quick but it's only a short ride. If I were to go for an hour long ride or something, I would definitely be taking BCAA's pre and post workout.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Okay, I feel stupid for asking, but what is a BCAA?
  • holly_v
    Options
    i am pretty sure bcaa is a supplement for protecting lean muscle
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Just ordered some BCAAs. [:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Yes, BCAA stands for branch chain amino acid. They are found in whey protein powders (well all the ones I've seen) but I take BCAA's by them self as they are 100% amino acid (100% protein so 40 cals only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branched-chain_amino_acid
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Yeah, I read all about it, and decided I could probably benefit from them, so I bought some of the capsules.