Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I don't think I could handle every other day fasting. Once or twice a week works well for me at the moment combined with eating 16/8 most of the other days (although that often becomes 17 or 18 hours of fast with a smaller eating window.) I'm glad to hear of your success with every other day, and may try it for a limited time to see what it is like. I would highly recommend for people who do IF of any sort to do strength training of some sort as the research out there shows that is what helps preserve lean mass.
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    I don't think I could handle every other day fasting. Once or twice a week works well for me at the moment combined with eating 16/8 most of the other days (although that often becomes 17 or 18 hours of fast with a smaller eating window.) I'm glad to hear of your success with every other day, and may try it for a limited time to see what it is like. I would highly recommend for people who do IF of any sort to do strength training of some sort as the research out there shows that is what helps preserve lean mass.

If you think about it, rileysowner, you're actually doing a more strenuous regimen than I am, time for time. When I do every other day, I have a 24 hour period of fasting, followed by some hours of eating in the evening, sleeping for 8 hours (fasting), then eating again up until dinner the next day when I start another cycle. So if you add up the hours, I am doing 32 hrs fasting, 16 hrs feeding every 48 hours, or on average 16/8 just like you, except you throw in additional 24 hour fasting periods on top of that, and you sometimes do more than 16/8!

Of course, it's probably more complicated than a simple time for time comparison on average like that, since the amount of time you are in a particular fasting period affects your metabolism differently.

Also, totally agree about the strength training. I am transitioning into a regular strength training routine as we speak.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Totally agree re strength training. If I can't train then I don't fast. (not including planned rest days)
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Okay, so, apparently my "off days" from work are going to pose an issue.

This week I ended up sticking with IF on my first off day. Second off day ended up being a bit of a binge (bad, I know). Third day ended up being a total fast until 7pm today, at which point I resumed eating for my 8 hour window.

Not sure if this is the smartest way to do it (obviously a binge is never good, it was more like a semi-high calorie day.) But it seemed to work. I'm finally into the 160's today! Hoorah!

Lol! OMGoodness... this was such an off weekend for me! I didn't do quite as well as you though. Weekends are rough because everyone wants to eat out, and I've done great until this weekend, and I went off the deep end. I back at it today, though!
  • rileysowner

If you think about it, rileysowner, you're actually doing a more strenuous regimen than I am, time for time. When I do every other day, I have a 24 hour period of fasting, followed by some hours of eating in the evening, sleeping for 8 hours (fasting), then eating again up until dinner the next day when I start another cycle. So if you add up the hours, I am doing 32 hrs fasting, 16 hrs feeding every 48 hours, or on average 16/8 just like you, except you throw in additional 24 hour fasting periods on top of that, and you sometimes do more than 16/8!

Of course, it's probably more complicated than a simple time for time comparison on average like that, since the amount of time you are in a particular fasting period affects your metabolism differently.

Also, totally agree about the strength training. I am transitioning into a regular strength training routine as we speak.

While that is true, I have never been a breakfast eater, so delaying it until later in the day usually fairly easy. I find 24 hours supper to supper is pretty easy, but if I go to bed fasted, like I will today since I ate until quite late last night, I have a hard time with it. Of course I guess it depends on how you do your every other day. How do you do it (when do you stop eating and when do you start)?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I pretty much easily IF during the 5 day work week......................

I am another person that is not hungry in the morning and I find it easier to work out on an empty stomach. No sick feeling and I am energized!!!

Monday - Friday I usually wake up, have my morning coffee and then drink water or tea the rest of the day. When I get home I fiz myself a feast of food, usually meat, fat and green veggies. Finish off with a small portion of fruit that is in season at the time. Right now it is my favorite, honey crisp apples.

Saturday and Sunday my husband and I wake up late so we eat a late breakfast and then eat again toward the late afternoon / early evening.............
  • I pretty much easily IF during the 5 day work week......................

Saturday and Sunday my husband and I wake up late so we eat a late breakfast and then eat again toward the late afternoon / early evening.............

That's interesting I never thought about just doing IF during the work week. I'm waiting for weight loss to settle then I may give this a try for maintenance.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Overate yesterday. Bad.

Fasting today. 7pm-7pm tomorrow to get on a good schedule for my days off.

Plus maybe a good 24 hour water fast will help me feel better.

Been feeling awfully sick lately.

Stupid weather changes!
  • Alloranx
    Of course I guess it depends on how you do your every other day. How do you do it (when do you stop eating and when do you start)?

I usually do about 6pm to 6am. It's easier for me the earlier I start my fast (i.e. closer to 5pm). Lately though I've been getting out of work at 6-6:30, so I just do it whenever I'm able to finish dinner.
  • chrisdavey
    interesting article

http://jackkruse.com/intermittent-fasting-and-leptin/

Be warned, lots of big words :tongue:
  • Alloranx
    I usually do about 6pm to 6am.

Oops, meant 6pm to 6pm, obviously.
  • rileysowner
    I usually do about 6pm to 6am.

Oops, meant 6pm to 6pm, obviously.

I was wondering about that.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Fasting day for me except when I have my post-meal after my work out.
    Morning: 1/2 hour weight lifting, 15 Hiit kickboxing (protein shake with berries & banana) - this is the work out I were supposed to yesterday but I was tired.
    Tonight hip hop class then pork chop dinner with 1 cup brown rice.
    I still don't have a long sleep on fasting day so I'll take 2 tblspoons of black mollases with 1/2 of milk before bedtime tonight to see
    it would help.

I tried to psy myself with Alloranx 's tip < redefine the hunger pangs in my mind as probably representing the feeling of fat burning off my belly>. And it did work! Thanks, Alloranx. I feel more motivated reading your update also.
  • interesting article

Yes, it is interesting. Let me see if I got this straight. Leptin is helpful in the controlling appetite via its effect on part of the brain. Refeeding (carbs primarily) increases the amount of Leptin in lean people. Refeeding should occur on workout/training days. My question is if I don't train, per se, how important is Leptin to me? I do minimal weight training at this time. I use dumbbells and less than 20 mins a day.
  • chrisdavey
    interesting article

Yes, it is interesting. Let me see if I got this straight. Leptin is helpful in the controlling appetite via its effect on part of the brain. Refeeding (carbs primarily) increases the amount of Leptin in lean people. Refeeding should occur on workout/training days. My question is if I don't train, per se, how important is Leptin to me? I do minimal weight training at this time. I use dumbbells and less than 20 mins a day.

??? Question for the experts.

I would just say to do some weight training for the LBM retaining benefits :smile:
  • rileysowner
    Here is another post on leptin and IF. http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html

In terms of the article mentioned, Martin Berkhan of Leangain.com linked to it in a tweet which a read on his facebook page, but had only skimmed it. When some of his readers pointed out what the author was actually saying, Martin was less than impressed, to quote him, "I'm going to let him know what I think soon enough. Ignorant of me to tweet this piece of **** article." http://www.facebook.com/martinberkhan/posts/10150283349559102?notif_t=like I have not read it yet. If I find the time I will.
  • Here is another post on leptin and IF. http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html

In terms of the article mentioned, Martin Berkhan of Leangain.com linked to it in a tweet which a read on his facebook page, but had only skimmed it. When some of his readers pointed out what the author was actually saying, Martin was less than impressed, to quote him, "I'm going to let him know what I think soon enough. Ignorant of me to tweet this piece of **** article." http://www.facebook.com/martinberkhan/posts/10150283349559102?notif_t=like I have not read it yet. If I find the time I will.

I don't have a FB account so I couldn't get to what you referred to above. I did find his FB page and his twiitter page but didn't see it there either.

Still waiting for an expert to chime in on the benefits to maintain leptin level for those not weight training or who don't have an issue with appetite suppression.
  • rileysowner
    You should still have been able to read the first link. The facebook link is just to show where I got the quote nothing more.

As for Leptin levels, raising them is not a bad thing as it will aid weight loss whether you are strength training or not. Basically one day eating more will do so from what I have read, so since I incorporate regular refeeding/cheat days into my schedule every week or two, I don't stress over it. The first link given is one that Martin (leangains) has some issue with once someone pointed out what that gentleman was saying. He has said he will write a response, but did not give a time frame. I would not worry about it personally. On a related train of thought, why don't you do any strength training?
  • On a related train of thought, why don't you do any strength training?

My time and finances currently limit my strength training to dumbells. I do 20-30 mins of basic strength exercises and anything that I can do with body weight. My current goal is to lower my bmi to <10% and I'm currently at 15%.

I do incorporate a cheat day but have not been using them. I did it more so when I had less control of my appetite which is no longer the case for me. I do 19/5 and throw in a 36-40 hour long fast when I need to push to a goal. It sounds like I may have to try using my cheat days. I know that Tim Feriss advises to do it and I believe in a lot of what he talks about in his 4 Hour Body book.
  • rileysowner
    Body weight stuff is just fine for it. I have weights, but prefer body weight work as it gives me just as good a workout and the movements are often more functional. Stuff like leg extensions and other isolation movements are not that natural, and while there is a place for them their use is limited. I would suggest not discounting body weight exercises as not strength training. They can be very good for strength training as long as you know how to increase the difficulty. For example a push-up. To make it easier people can either do it from their knees or place their hands on a raised surface. To make them more difficult keep your hands on the ground and put your feet on an elevated surface like a step or bench. To make them even more difficult put your feet on a stability ball and you have even more of your core engaged. Or when you can do them with your feet elevated, bring your feet down and do them one armed. To top it all off go to the planche push-up.

Most body weight exercises can be made more difficult either by changing how they are done, or by pre-exhausting helper muscles. Again using the push-up as an example. If you pre-exhaust the triceps it forces the chest muscles to work more.

Great places for body weight workout info are www.bodyweightculture.com (free) www.bodyweightcoach.com (pay although they have a free program you can sign up for) marklauren.com (free stuff but he has an excellent book on body weight training)