Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    not really. Just trying to shovel down food as quick as possible :tongue:
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Ok, so I heard about intermittent fasting in another post yesterday and immediately ran to read "Eat Stop Eat." Now I'm working of "The Fast-Five" but I wanted to get some opinions on why people prefer a 19 hour vs 24 hour vs 16 hour fasting period? It seems as though the longer the better, and do you choose to do the shorter time periods just so it's easier? I would love some feedback sbout how everyone finally "decided" which plan was best for them. Thanks for your help!!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Ok, so I heard about intermittent fasting in another post yesterday and immediately ran to read "Eat Stop Eat." Now I'm working of "The Fast-Five" but I wanted to get some opinions on why people prefer a 19 hour vs 24 hour vs 16 hour fasting period? It seems as though the longer the better, and do you choose to do the shorter time periods just so it's easier? I would love some feedback sbout how everyone finally "decided" which plan was best for them. Thanks for your help!!

The 16/8 was the first version I came accross. I started before I'd researched the other options and by then I love 16/8. It fit into my life so well and it was working so I didn't feel the need to change. I think I like how structured it is. I don't have the best will power. With 2 fasts days/week I think I would keep pushing them back and not do them. I do throw in one or two 24 hour fasts a month because of all the other benefits shown in articles for brain function, etc. Usually I eat dinner a little early on Sunday (5:00ish) and don't eat again until Monday evening.
  • Odrinka
    Odrinka Posts: 19 Member
    I started the lean gains version of IF Saturday and so now I've been on it for a couple days. But I notice I'm really fatigued during the morning part of my fast. How long does it typically take for the body to adjust?
  • I've do 19hr daily and do a 36-40hr fast when trying to hit a goal. I've found 19/5 to work real well with my schedule and I think that will be the most important criteria. I also use a low carb methodology to my diet. Its been working real well. I think it usually takes 8-12 hours for insulin levels to go down to the point where fat storage functions are minimal.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Still doing 16/8 and things are going very well. Tomorrow will be a week and I've already lost a half inch in my waist since starting IF and not changing my caloric intake or exercise routine. I'm so loving this!
  • chrisdavey

I do 16/8 because it's easy to do everyday. It's not a chore just routine. When I tried the 24hr ones the last few hours were painful and since this is a lifestyle change not a diet, I want to use something that I can use everyday.

The bravery lover: Calorie/macro intake still matters. You can put on weight if you eat above maintenance cals even doing intermittent fasting. It's not magic but just a method to make creating your calorie deficit that little bit easier. (if you are trying to lose)

Leangains cut: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135766901&p=752479303&viewfull=1#post752479303
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone :smile: I started fast 5 last night/today - I'm super excited to see how it goes!
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    I started the lean gains version of IF Saturday and so now I've been on it for a couple days. But I notice I'm really fatigued during the morning part of my fast. How long does it typically take for the body to adjust?

Hmmm... well maybe switch your fast around a little bit. When I do a 24 hour fast, I start my fast after breakfast and finish the next morning before breakfast, so every day I eat breakfast and drink my coffee. Even if you decide not to do it that way, you can still have coffee or tea in the morning.

Hope that helps!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Geting my bump in on the new thread lol.

As for the fatigue...I never ran into it myself, so I can't really help. I'm more tired if I eat =l.
  • TheBraveryLover
    The bravery lover: Calorie/macro intake still matters. You can put on weight if you eat above maintenance cals even doing intermittent fasting. It's not magic but just a method to make creating your calorie deficit that little bit easier. (if you are trying to lose)

Leangains cut: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135766901&p=752479303&viewfull=1#post75247930
    Yes, I'm aware of that, but thanks for mentioning it. I've been eating at a deficit since February so what I meant was that I'm seeing (and measuring) a change in my body after doing IF for such a short period of time without changing my normal calorie intake. I actually misspoke, because I do admit to increasing my protein intake consistently since starting IF, but everything else has stayed the same and I'm seeing awesome results. I think my faster progress is totally due to IF and I keep seeing changes every single day. Again, I'm so loving IF!:happy:

And to the person experiencing fatigue, I've never encountered that but my suggestion is to make sure you're getting enough water in.
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    bump new thread.

i back to 16:8 and its great,
  • Geting my bump in on the new thread lol.

As for the fatigue...I never ran into it myself, so I can't really help. I'm more tired if I eat =l.

I'm more tired when I eat only if my carb intake is up (I'm on low carb).
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone :smile: I started fast 5 last night/today - I'm super excited to see how it goes!

I'm on Fast-5 and loving it. Just don't forget to eat in the latter part of your feeding period so that it wont be as difficult when you are in the stretch. Really important the first week as you adjust to IF.
    I think my faster progress is totally due to IF and I keep seeing changes every single day. Again, I'm so loving IF!:happy:

I can definitely attribute faster weight loss results to IF. I looked at the graph for when I started my program and the slope is greater after I started IF.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    I've been doing leangains-style 16/8 IF for a couple of weeks and I'm liking it a lot. Current progress notes at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KatThirteen/view/intermittent-fasting-progress-report-discoveries-150697 if anyone's interested/curious.

I'd also welcome beginner-grade tips and comments.
    My current main project is to sort out my macros - as eating large slabs of dead animal flesh isn't an option for me, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to get into protein shakes.
  • TheBraveryLover
    Never hungry, never ever feel the need to snack. IF is amazing!!!!!!! Wooo!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Bumping the new thread.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Yay, we filled up a thread! I am tucked in bed, having fasted for 26hrs I will break my fast tomorrow at 11, giving me 36hrs (I went to the movies late Fri and had popcorn and candy!). I worked today and did circuit training and cardio fasted. I don't remember how to stick to my calories without IF. I'm hoping eating mostly primal from now on and doing 2 ESEs a week will help me get losing again.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Hi! I lost my old thread about IF, so I will jump in here if you don't mind!
    I have done ESE 3 times and tried leangains.
    This week I have worked 60 hours without a day off and I have eaten CRAP daily and feel like crap because of it. I am up 4 pounds and bloated as hell.
    I think an ESE might be the kick in the butt I need to start over.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Hi! I lost my old thread about IF, so I will jump in here if you don't mind!
    I have done ESE 3 times and tried leangains.
    This week I have worked 60 hours without a day off and I have eaten CRAP daily and feel like crap because of it. I am up 4 pounds and bloated as hell.
    I think an ESE might be the kick in the butt I need to start over.

??? I thought you were at maintenance. you are one of the people I am jealous of cause you look great, weigh very little, and can eat tons of calories!
  • chrisdavey
    Lean gains + IIFYM + heavy compound lifting & just got dexa scan at 7% BF today. Very happy with that. Going to cut for a few more weeks and see how that goes and then see where I want to go (pending injuries basically)