Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    MsMonny~~I have a family of 5. I work out in a fasted state at 5:45 am and LOVE the energy it gives me. I do the 16/8 fast. I'm straving right now but because I decided to have a snack at 9 pm I won't eat til 1 pm. If I cave in 2 hours that's ok. It an individual thing not as strict as you think or noted above. At least everything I have read. Maybe leangains says this, this and this but I eat when my family eats. I don't do the strict every 3-4 hours. I eat when i am hungry within my 8 hour window.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I am REALLY mad at myself right now. i accidentally broke my 16/8 fast. I worked out and since I don't have BCAA tabs I thought I will take a half scoop of my whey protein powder (I was starting to shake w/ hunger) THINKING the whole scoop was 70 cals so naturally 1/2 would be 35 but my brain apparently wasn't working straight because a whole scoop is 140 cals NOT 70!!! :sad:
  • soulatomic
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm giving IF a try for two weeks and am doing 16/8s. (However, today I broke about a half hour early for lunch with my manager.)

While I'm hungry during the fast, I'm not feeling weak or shaky or anything. I'm unable to do exercises during the fast because I have kids and a job and need to be out the door pretty early in the morning. I suppose I could get up earlier, but I view sleep as part of successful weight loss.

An interesting thing I've noticed is the elimination of the post-lunch spike. Although I've only been doing this two days, I noticed that I don't feel sluggish after eating lunch, the way I did when I wasn't fasting. Is this normal? (I'm not complaining!)

I'm also not reaching "I'm gonna cut someone if I don't eat"levels of hunger. Woot.

Finally, after I break the fast, I notice my stomach gurgles A LOT. I imagine it's because it's gone from no food to full rather quickly. Does anyone else experience this? Is it just digestion?

Thanks for all the valuable feedback in this thread. You all have helped me a lot!

I can't answer everything but yes I feel the same after lunch and love it! I do work out at 5:45 am (I have 3 kids I have to get up at 7 and ready for school by 8) but go to bed before 9pm. Love the energy I have during my workout in the fasted state. My stomach did feel a bit wierd after eating but that was just the first few days, today I feel normal. I think it just takes the full 3 weeks for your body to really get used to this IF process. Hope I helped a bit?

Yes, thanks!
  • skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am REALLY mad at myself right now. i accidentally broke my 16/8 fast. I worked out and since I don't have BCAA tabs I thought I will take a half scoop of my whey protein powder (I was starting to shake w/ hunger) THINKING the whole scoop was 70 cals so naturally 1/2 would be 35 but my brain apparently wasn't working straight because a whole scoop is 140 cals NOT 70!!! :sad:

Awww don't worry about it!!! could have been way worse!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    JeanineSchumm: it's not worth worrying about. Stressing over little things like that will do more harm than actually doing them :tongue:

Also re bcaa's, I forgot to mention that they prevent catabolism in the event of insufficient dietary protein. So if you are around the 1g/lb of LBM daily then IMO it's probably fine without. I still have bcaa's and will use them on my morning workouts though (they're tasty as hehe)

MsMonny: Firstly, your exercise setup looks good.
    1. No need to major in the minors IMO. I like my first meal of the day to be high volume and a good mix of protein/fat & carbs. It then keeps me full for quite a while. (oats/whey/pb for me)

2. Eat whenever your family eats. You don't have to split it up exactly into 3hrs apart or anything. Break fast at 1ish, have a snack around 5ish, dinner at 7ish. all good.

3. macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981.

Also, there is no doubt, you will be hungry in the mornings for a little while as that is what you are used to. A few weeks seems to be about average to get used to it.

Hope that helps

Chris
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thought maybe you all would find this topic interesting. We are pretty much getting bashed as this support group has been mentioned. I replied of course.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/377281-what-do-you-think-about-water-fasts?page=2#posts-5146496
  • RasheedaR
    RasheedaR Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What is ESE & Lean Gains??!??
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Thanks Chris and Jeanine for your answers.

I went to bed last night after posting and was thinking about the hours and how to make it work. Yes, you are right Chris, 1, 5 and 7 would be good, even 1, 4 and 7, or better still 12, 4 and 6!

This morning I was eating breakfast and thinking, I am not even hungry but I am still eating breakfast because it is a habit! After 3 hours I was starving and I wonder if this is because I ate breakfast?? I know that if it has sugar in it (dried fruit) then I tend to be more hungry sooner.

Well, I will start this AFTER my thur night gym sessions finish (next week). This was a 7 week transformation thingy my gym was doing and not a normal time that I usually work out. Actually I hate working out at night!!

I am quite excited about this...maybe my constant eating (6 meals) is the underlying problem with my lack of losing weight. With only 3 biggish meals and no snacks, I can see how I will be fuelling my body, not oversaturating it with food!

I will still be here reading all the posts until that time next week.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    What is ESE & Lean Gains??!??

read the thread!

MsMonny: It still comes down to cals in vs out basically. If you can create your deficit with 6 meals then you will lose weight, if you can do it with 3 then you will also lose weight. There may be other benefits to the fast like the ones that alloranx posted but in the grand scheme of things you can still put on weight doing LG 16/8. (In fact I am right now :smile:)
  • MsMonny
    Options
    Yep, thats true. Can only give this a go and see if it works for my body or not! :happy:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    For sure :)
    Thought maybe you all would find this topic interesting. We are pretty much getting bashed as this support group has been mentioned. I replied of course.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/377281-what-do-you-think-about-water-fasts?page=2#posts-5146496

And although she was trying to help out.

Short 24 hour fasts with only water are very good for you. Longer term fasting can cause your metabolism to slow and your body to cannibalise itself.

So close, yet so far.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    @catwrangler-You may be swallowing air-are you chewing lots of gum? Cos that will do it. Or soda/soft drink?
    I do both but burp even before I start chewing gum or drinking soda :ohwell:
  • MsMonny
    Options
    I have been ravenous for the last couple of days and realised it is nearly that TOM.....so, my question to the ladies doing LG or ESE is how do you deal with your cravings and hunger when IF?

I am actually hoping you will all say that it dissappeared and there has been no problems coming up to that time or during! :wink:
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So, anyone else ever notice that the people that bash fasting, are the ones that have never done it?

[:
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    Just broke fast after 22 hours. I wasn't hungry, but had coffee break. Had very tasty apple. It can be done!
  • catwrangler
    Options
    I have been ravenous for the last couple of days and realised it is nearly that TOM.....so, my question to the ladies doing LG or ESE is how do you deal with your cravings and hunger when IF?

I am actually hoping you will all say that it dissappeared and there has been no problems coming up to that time or during! :wink:
    If I have what I call hormonal hungry days (I'm in menopause) I plan on indulging but MINDFULLY I hope! Otherwise, so far, I only get hungry an hour or 2 before breaking, which isn't bad at all.
  • catwrangler
    Options
    So, anyone else ever notice that the people that bash fasting, are the ones that have never done it?

[:
    I have learned extreme "diet tolerance" on MFP! I won't even bash HCG or eating under 1200 calories, it's so individualized, it's all a head game.

It's harder to ignore a personal bash but I think that's the very best way to deal with them.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

[:

Exactly. I replied to that thread and will not look back at it.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I'm still a lot more hungry during that time, but finally after 3 months, I feel like I have a handle on it. The last two months, I totally screwed things up, but this month, I've done fine. I will admit that I've eaten quite a few of my allotted calories in chocolate, but I've stayed within my limits and have managed to still lose this time :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Most of the time I'm fine during TOM, but the days I'm not fine, I may go over my daily allotment of calories, but I never eat outside of the 8 hour window. So if you know you're craving hardcore and really can't ignore it, make sure you eat it in the time period/days where you can eat. I've done LG through 2 TOMs and I've still consistently lost weight.