Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with any eating schedule. What's going to matter the most is if you are under calorie restriction or a calorie surplus. I've been on LG's 18/6 for about 4 weeks while doing Starting Strength Practical Programming routine and it's been working well. More important to me than anything else is I find it to be convenient for my schedule. My diary is open as well if anyone wants to look.
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if people use LG to lose weight or use it to when they are lean to bulk up the muscle and to get leaner??

I am not only seeing LG to lose weight, but to have it as a healthy lifestyle. I have been told that it is mainly used for the latter, not to lose weight.

You can use it for any of those three purposes: gain muscle, lose weight (truly: lose fat), or for the health benefits independent of body composition/weight. If using it for the first, you will eat more than your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), if for the second, less than TDEE, if for the third, about at your TDEE (though of course, you get the health benefits no matter what your calorie intake is). The TDEE, if you don't know, is what MyFitnessPal would calculate as your goal if you told it you wanted to maintain your weight exactly like it is, for a given level of daily activity, AKA "Maintenance calories".

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall Martin saying somewhere or other than Leangains is really intended for people who are already fairly fit and with below average body weight who want to get truly ripped, but that doesn't mean it can't be used effectively by pretty much anybody.

ESE on the other hand more explicitly bills itself as primarily for weight loss, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily more effective than Leangains for that purpose. ESE can also be used for any of those three goals. It's all in the particulars of how you use these programs.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    I have noticed since doing ESE I dont feel the need to eat every few hours. I use to feel all irritable and shaky iif I didnt eat every 3-4 hours (3 more likely!) but now I am fine.
    However I also find if I have breakfast I am hungrier throughout the day than if I start eating after lunch.
    Why is that?
  • moby77
    moby77 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi I'm thinking of trying this just looking for advice on how best to start it. Is it best to start with 2 x 24hr fasting a week Also if fasting for 24hrs is there any best time in the day to start ie after breakfast, lunch dinner? Or does it make no difference when you start in the day ? Thanks
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm thinking of trying this just looking for advice on how best to start it. Is it best to start with 2 x 24hr fasting a week Also if fasting for 24hrs is there any best time in the day to start ie after breakfast, lunch dinner? Or does it make no difference when you start in the day ? Thanks

I would not start with 2x24 a week. I would start with 1x24 a week then after getting used to that, consider going up to 2x24.

I find that starting after my supper then fasting 24 hours to the next supper is the easiest as then I am not trying to sleep with an empty stomach, and a large portion of the 24 hours is covered by sleep hours. You may find it is different for you. Try different stretches of time and see what works for you.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

I would not start with 2x24 a week. I would start with 1x24 a week then after getting used to that, consider going up to 2x24.

I find that starting after my supper then fasting 24 hours to the next supper is the easiest as then I am not trying to sleep with an empty stomach, and a large portion of the 24 hours is covered by sleep hours. You may find it is different for you. Try different stretches of time and see what works for you.

I think this would be easiest as well. I am actually doing my first 24 hour fast tonight after dinner. I had a horrible eating weekend and basically want to detox. Then if I can do this might gradually increase to 2x a week.
  • moby77
    moby77 Posts: 6
    Options

I think this would be easiest as well. I am actually doing my first 24 hour fast tonight after dinner. I had a horrible eating weekend and basically want to detox. Then if I can do this might gradually increase to 2x a week.

Thank you for replying , will try 1 x24 and see how I go, will start after my evening meal tonight :-) Can you still have tea and coffee with a small bit of skimmed milk?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

Thank you for replying , will try 1 x24 and see how I go, will start after my evening meal tonight :-) Can you still have tea and coffee with a small bit of skimmed milk?

Yes, that's what I love about this. You can have a little bit as long as it is under 40 cals.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Yes, that's what I love about this. You can have a little bit as long as it is under 40 cals.

TOTAL for all your tea & coffees, not per drink. Just in case anyone was mistaken on this :smile:

re BCAA's. Quote from the guys I get mine from.

The biggest benefit of BCAA's over straight protein is the fact that free form amino acids are readily absorbed, much more so than those available in protein powders.

Candy, your commenst about them reducing DOMS is interesting. A nice fast absorbing protein should do this too when well timed, but the fact you have mentioned you benefit from BCAA's more, further supports the theory here that rapid absorption is beneficial.

So, if you are going to have BCAA's, do not add them to your protein powder, have them seperately. People often ask me if they shoudl add them to their protein, doing this completely negates the largest benefit from them. Protein powders have masses of BCAA's in them anyway.

The largest issue most people have with BCAA's is due to the leucine content. Leucine (which should make up close to 50% of BCAA's) is non polar by nature. This means that it won't dissolve in water.

If you get BCAA's that do miraculously dissolve then I'd be very suspicious, there may not be much leucine (and other aminos) in there.

Given the problem with leucine, BCAA's aren't the most practical to take unless you blend them with other aminos. At Bulk Nutrients we offer a new product - flavoured BCAA's which are quite popular. Thanks to the addition of Citrulline Malate, they end up mixing very well, and Citrulline malate has a double effect of reducing a lot of the bitterness.

Citrulline Malate is a fantastic ingredient to add as it is assist nitric oxide levels, more so than arginine.
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    re BCAA's. Quote from the guys I get mine from.

The biggest benefit of BCAA's over straight protein is the fact that free form amino acids are readily absorbed, much more so than those available in protein powders.

Candy, your commenst about them reducing DOMS is interesting. A nice fast absorbing protein should do this too when well timed, but the fact you have mentioned you benefit from BCAA's more, further supports the theory here that rapid absorption is beneficial.

So, if you are going to have BCAA's, do not add them to your protein powder, have them seperately. People often ask me if they shoudl add them to their protein, doing this completely negates the largest benefit from them. Protein powders have masses of BCAA's in them anyway.

The largest issue most people have with BCAA's is due to the leucine content. Leucine (which should make up close to 50% of BCAA's) is non polar by nature. This means that it won't dissolve in water.

If you get BCAA's that do miraculously dissolve then I'd be very suspicious, there may not be much leucine (and other aminos) in there.

Given the problem with leucine, BCAA's aren't the most practical to take unless you blend them with other aminos. At Bulk Nutrients we offer a new product - flavoured BCAA's which are quite popular. Thanks to the addition of Citrulline Malate, they end up mixing very well, and Citrulline malate has a double effect of reducing a lot of the bitterness.

Citrulline Malate is a fantastic ingredient to add as it is assist nitric oxide levels, more so than arginine.

Thanks a bunch, Chris, that makes sense. The BCAA's I use, Scivation Xtend, do dissolve reasonably well, but they also have Citrulline Malate in them, so that explains it I guess.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm going to give this IF thing a try, using the LG method. I've read all the posts on both threads and think I have a handle on it, but still have a couple of questions. Forgive me if I've missed the answers to these questions, there were a lot of posts to read!

1. Martin suggests eating 80% of your daily calories post-workout. On a 1400 calories/day, that's over 1100 calories. I don't think I can manage that - that's a lot of food. Does anyone take a more equal approach to spreading your calories throughout the eating period? I'm planning to have a frozen strawberries/protein powder shake pre-workout (15% of daily calories) and I'd like to split my remaining calories between the post-workout meal and last meal of the day, and save another 15% for an evening snack. See any problems with this?

2. Do you strictly adhere to eating three meals/day, or do you still have some snacks? I'm looking at an eating window of 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., but I prefer to have my last meal of the day around 7. Am I messing anything up by having a snack at 8:30 p.m.?

3. Has this way of eating allowed anyone to lose fat who WASN'T already fairly lean? I need to lose probably 20 lbs. of body fat. I'm lifting heavy 3x week (following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program) and doing cardio intervals at least one other day/week, preferably two. My diet is pretty good - I eat moderate carbs and try to get 1g. protein per body weight each day, but I'm usually a bit short. I'm making a renewed effort to up my protein intake, starting today.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm going to give this IF thing a try, using the LG method. I've read all the posts on both threads and think I have a handle on it, but still have a couple of questions. Forgive me if I've missed the answers to these questions, there were a lot of posts to read!

1. Martin suggests eating 80% of your daily calories post-workout. On a 1400 calories/day, that's over 1100 calories. I don't think I can manage that - that's a lot of food. Does anyone take a more equal approach to spreading your calories throughout the eating period? I'm planning to have a frozen strawberries/protein powder shake pre-workout (15% of daily calories) and I'd like to split my remaining calories between the post-workout meal and last meal of the day, and save another 15% for an evening snack. See any problems with this?

2. Do you strictly adhere to eating three meals/day, or do you still have some snacks? I'm looking at an eating window of 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., but I prefer to have my last meal of the day around 7. Am I messing anything up by having a snack at 8:30 p.m.?

3. Has this way of eating allowed anyone to lose fat who WASN'T already fairly lean? I need to lose probably 20 lbs. of body fat. I'm lifting heavy 3x week (following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program) and doing cardio intervals at least one other day/week, preferably two. My diet is pretty good - I eat moderate carbs and try to get 1g. protein per body weight each day, but I'm usually a bit short. I'm making a renewed effort to up my protein intake, starting today.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

1. I think that adjusting the % of calories in your post workout meals wouldn't be a big deal. As far as I know there's nothing magical about those %'s. As long as the bulk of your calories comes post workout, it doesn't really matter how many meals or what the specific %'s of those are.

2. Similarly, the 3 meals a day thing isn't magical. The important pieces here are the fasting window, and the bulk of calories being consumed post-workout. If you are getting to those ends with some snacks, I don't think it matters much.

3. I have lost a fair bit of fat using the LG approach, and I still have a fair bit to lose. The success at fat lose will again mainly be driven by your caloric deficit.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1. I think that adjusting the % of calories in your post workout meals wouldn't be a big deal. As far as I know there's nothing magical about those %'s. As long as the bulk of your calories comes post workout, it doesn't really matter how many meals or what the specific %'s of those are.

2. Similarly, the 3 meals a day thing isn't magical. The important pieces here are the fasting window, and the bulk of calories being consumed post-workout. If you are getting to those ends with some snacks, I don't think it matters much.

3. I have lost a fair bit of fat using the LG approach, and I still have a fair bit to lose. The success at fat lose will again mainly be driven by your caloric deficit.

Thanks TImDog! I don't think a calorie deficit will be a problem, and pushing my "breakfast" from 7-8:00 to 11:00 a.m. wasn't a big deal at all this morning. Drinking water and coffee took my mind off food and the strawberries/protein powder gave me enough energy for my workout, so I think this is a good option for me. I'm going to shoot for a 14 hour fast window this week and up it to 15 hours next week, see how that goes and if it's no biggie, I'll try for 16.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    70 more minutes and I will have finished my first 24 hour fast. Its Halloween and I have 3 kids so it will actually probably be 27 hours before we are home and I can eat. Maybe I should try for 36 hours?
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Im in the middle of my 36 right now. Went off schedule for the weekend and going to do a couple of 36 hour fast during the week - one today and probably one before my weight day on Friday.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    elizabethblake:
    1. no problem. Do whatever works for you. (I have become used to being able to smash large meals on LG though :tongue:) And having one meal post workout and then another a few hours later would still be considered a "post workout" meal IMO. No anabolic window BS.

2. Nope. eat whenever hungry during eating window.

3. Can't help you on that one sorry.

Did you have strawberries & protein powder in your eating window or not? *confused* If it's not in your eating window then that is definitely breaking the fast.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    The only problem I am having is on weekends. During the week I have settled into an 11:30 am to 8 PM window and I find it easy and even end up with a calorie surplus which was unheard of when I was eating breakfasts.

The key to a successful IF day seems to be distractions. As long as I am busy in the mornings from waking to 11:30 I am golden.. But If I am just lounging around on a Saturday or Sunday morning I start to slide fast and furious. Gotta work on that.

How many of you folks eat back your exercise calories? My calorie budget is 1660 and I can burn up to 400 calories a day but not often. So I'm thinking by not eating back calories I would simply be zigzagging which is not a bad thing, right?
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if people use LG to lose weight or use it to when they are lean to bulk up the muscle and to get leaner??

I am not only seeing LG to lose weight, but to have it as a healthy lifestyle. I have been told that it is mainly used for the latter, not to lose weight.
    I am doing it strictly to lose weight. It's like an eating strategy for me and so far it works better than a traditional breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks schedule.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I eat exercise calories +500ish.
  • moby77
    Options
    Well I have done my first fasting, was going to be 24 hrs but started later in the evening so i didn't feel like eating so late the following day so went to bed and its turn into 36 hrs but i feel great, no probs doing it just hope that was ok to go 36hrs on first try ? Just wondering do you have what ever MFP gives you on your cal intake (i. mine is 1280) on all the other days? I would think so but just checking :-)