Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• pork_belly
    Options
    janiedoe111:
    Read this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471 re your minimum protein & fats required. Then I'd use the preset cal targets based on if you want to lose, gain or recomp (rest/workout split) . (See how my protein is the same both days, & fats higher on off days (as per LG recommendations))

JeanineSchumm: This calculator is for everyday fasting like leangains not ESE. And remember the following.

Thinking fat loss is a linear phenomenon and setting a weekly weight loss goal (ie. I will lose 1.5 lbs per week every week and if I don't I am failing and might as well give up) for yourself is a short path to frustration. Don't set numerical goals. Set behaviour/program compliance goals and with consistency, the outcome will take care of itself. Fat loss is not, and never will be, linear. Ditch using the scale as the sole barometer of your progress and pass on the setting of a weekly weight loss goal. It's just another added source of potential stress.

As always, good advice chrisdavey!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    I am trying the every other day fast approach. Supper to supper is the window so about 24 hours. This will be the second fast day. I used to do two fast days a week, so other than the proximity to my previous fast day (I would normally leave a 2 day gap) this is not that different. When I hit Sunday with fast day number three, then I will see if it is something I can do. Now to drink lots of water and tea to keep my stomach satisfied.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am trying the every other day fast approach. Supper to supper is the window so about 24 hours. This will be the second fast day. I used to do two fast days a week, so other than the proximity to my previous fast day (I would normally leave a 2 day gap) this is not that different. When I hit Sunday with fast day number three, then I will see if it is something I can do. Now to drink lots of water and tea to keep my stomach satisfied.

Jim, that's what I've been doing and it works great for me. On average, I lose about a pound every day that I fast, but more than that, I just feel like I have more control over my eating habits... I guess I just feel like I don't have as much to keep up with. I still eat really healthily, but on my eat days I don't have to freak out over sticking to a 1200 calorie diet. Then on my fasting days, I eat breakfast and I'm done until the next day.

Weekends are the kicker for me though because we have so much going on, it's hard to fast... Especially when we're eating dinners out with family, so I usually do try to stick to 1200-1500 calories on those days.

Fasting, at first, was brutal. I'd sit there and think "okay, one skipped meal down, one to go!", but now I don't even think about it. I knew I was hungry last night because my stomach was growling, but I didn't feel ravenous. It does get easier!
  • rileysowner
    Options

Jim, that's what I've been doing and it works great for me. On average, I lose about a pound every day that I fast, but more than that, I just feel like I have more control over my eating habits... I guess I just feel like I don't have as much to keep up with. I still eat really healthily, but on my eat days I don't have to freak out over sticking to a 1200 calorie diet. Then on my fasting days, I eat breakfast and I'm done until the next day.

Weekends are the kicker for me though because we have so much going on, it's hard to fast... Especially when we're eating dinners out with family, so I usually do try to stick to 1200-1500 calories on those days.

Fasting, at first, was brutal. I'd sit there and think "okay, one skipped meal down, one to go!", but now I don't even think about it. I knew I was hungry last night because my stomach was growling, but I didn't feel ravenous. It does get easier!

I've been intermittent fasting the ESE way since December of 2010. It works well, but with recent knee problems and a very busy schedule with lots of special events, I fell out of the habit of one or two fasts a week. So far today is going well.

I agree the best part is being able to no longer have this daily looming calorie count to worry about. I still count calories and will continue to do so, but it is much more freeing this way in my opinion.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

I agree the best part is being able to no longer have this daily looming calorie count to worry about. I still count calories and will continue to do so, but it is much more freeing this way in my opinion.
    THIS!

I just had a PB&J sandwich at 7:30 pm, NEVER could have done that without a morning fast. IF ROCKS!
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I broke my fast with a two egg omelet with pressed cottage cheese, red peppers and onion, half of the shrimp in a shrimp ring with some seafood sauce and a piece of lemon bundt cake. I am nice an full now. Maybe another snack before bed, but overall it was a good fasting day. Tomorrow we have a family thanksgiving meal as it was the only time family members from distant locations could make it, so I will be eating a lot. Then a fast day again on Sunday. That will be the test for every other day fasting for me. If I can do that, I can maintain it for a while. If not, then I will go back to the ESE twice a week.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I broke my fast with this :tongue:

Mini snack wrap challenge (10). Down in 11mins.

‎1700cals, 127g protein, 158g carbs, 55g fat
    378126_10150438487065923_594850922_10832844_1035013_n.jpg
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Nice video btw Chris. I'm half tempted to go do this challenge, but those bacon pancakes are still calling my name....decisions.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Mmmm Snack wraps, but double mmmm bacon pancakes.
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Ive fasted now 20 hrs with a 4 hr feeding window for going on 3 days now and Im down 2 lbs in a couple of days. Ill really try to keep this up. In doing no snacking, eating clean as best I can and exercising every day.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

THIS!

I just had a PB&J sandwich at 7:30 pm, NEVER could have done that without a morning fast. IF ROCKS!

LOL..I AGREE!!!!! :drinker: I also have been drinking my glass of wine more enjoyably.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Ive fasted now 20 hrs with a 4 hr feeding window for going on 3 days now and Im down 2 lbs in a couple of days. Ill really try to keep this up. In doing no snacking, eating clean as best I can and exercising every day.

Hmmm...maybe I need to do this. How many cals do you consume in that window? I have IF'd 16/8, 18/6 and 2 24 hour fasts and really havent moved the scale, inches or my BF %. :(
  • Vodkha
    Options
    Typically I aim for 1200 cals. I cant always get all of those calories in BUT I dont feel hungry or tired. Im working out every day day and feeling good. If there is a time during the day where i do feel hungry i will try to eat more the next day and drinks water and diet pop. I try to break fast beyween 5 or 6 and then my eating window is between then and 9/10pm. Then i fast until the following 5 or 6 pm.
  • Vodkha
    Options
    Typically I aim for 1200 cals. I cant always get all of those calories in BUT I dont feel hungry or tired. Im working out every day day and feeling good. If there is a time during the day where i do feel hungry i will try to eat more the next day and drinks water and diet pop. I try to break fast beyween 5 or 6 and then my eating window is between then and 9/10pm. Then i fast until the following 5 or 6 pm.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in again...to post a little story of my experience.

Over the last two months...I haven't been able to eat perfectly...actually, mostly I've been eating junk. I haven't counted a single calorie. Or even attempted to. Additionally, I've not been able to strength train my typical 3x a week...maybe 2x one week, then maybe not at all for a week and a half...etc.

I have...however, maintained a loose effort at eating on an intermittent fasting pattern. I try not to eat before 3pm in general...though I don't hold to that religiously (if I want a fookin donut and coffee for breakfast, I eat it)...but I do it more often than not. I rarely eat after 7pm any day of the week. Some days, I flat don't eat for 24hrs...dinner to dinner.

During this past two months...I've had no scale. My retarded cat thinks it's a throne I bought just for him...and runs the batteries dead in less than two days. But, yesterday I picked up some batteries and weighed myself. My lightest weight was 173lbs. Yesterday morning, and this morning...I'm sitting at 176lbs even. 3lbs? That's completely negligible. I vary that much from day to day.

I don't think this EVER could have happened, eating 5x a day, even small meals. My body would have rejected that crap and I'd have blown up like a balloon.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share...hope you all have a great weekend!
  • theresamommyof4
    Options
    OMGosh! I'm fasting today, and you people are killing me with the food descriptions! Lol! Okay... today is hard :)
  • theresamommyof4
    Options
    I broke my fast with this :tongue:

Mini snack wrap challenge (10). Down in 11mins.

‎1700cals, 127g protein, 158g carbs, 55g fat
    378126_10150438487065923_594850922_10832844_1035013_n.jpg

I love how they're called "Seared" Chicken Snack Wraps. They're called "Grilled" here :)
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carysjones13
    Options
    just wondering, I know a lot of people have said on here that they fast from after dinner until breakfast the next day... but surely thats what everyone does regardless if they're on a diet or not? because it's not like people wake up in the middle of the night and have a 3 course meal? sorry if i've got the wrong end of the stick on this one, i'm just a little confused :huh:
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump