Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    just wondering, I know a lot of people have said on here that they fast from after dinner until breakfast the next day... but surely thats what everyone does regardless if they're on a diet or not? because it's not like people wake up in the middle of the night and have a 3 course meal? sorry if i've got the wrong end of the stick on this one, i'm just a little confused :huh:

The difference is they don't have breakfast until 12PM or later. Hence their fast is quite a bit longer than what most people do. Technically when I break my 24 hour fast at supper time it is really Break/fast for me, but that would be 24 hours or so since the last time I ate.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    just wondering, I know a lot of people have said on here that they fast from after dinner until breakfast the next day... but surely thats what everyone does regardless if they're on a diet or not? because it's not like people wake up in the middle of the night and have a 3 course meal? sorry if i've got the wrong end of the stick on this one, i'm just a little confused :huh:

The difference is they don't have breakfast until 12PM or later. Hence their fast is quite a bit longer than what most people do. Technically when I break my 24 hour fast at supper time it is really Break/fast for me, but that would be 24 hours or so since the last time I ate.
    I do this fairly often. I did it today and didn't eat anything at all until 12:30.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Whats IF?
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I managed to break my fast when I should today. I had:

1 avocado
    3 scrambled eggs with onion and tomatos
    1 salmon burger patty
    cheese string mixed into my scrambled eggs
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    3/4 cup quinoa

This equals about 905 calories.

For a snack I will have:

1 cup milk
    2 TBSP nescafe iced coffee mix
    an apple
    a serving of organic PB

This equals about 345 calories.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Whats IF?

How about you read at least 2 posts in the thread and you may be able to work it out for yourself???:huh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I managed to break my fast when I should today. I had:

1 avocado
    3 scrambled eggs with onion and tomatos
    1 salmon burger patty
    cheese string mixed into my scrambled eggs
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    3/4 cup quinoa

This equals about 905 calories.

For a snack I will have:

1 cup milk
    2 TBSP nescafe iced coffee mix
    an apple
    a serving of organic PB

This equals about 345 calories.

And all sounds 100% delicious lol.
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I hope you all don't mind but I'm going to jump in here too, I'll be starting my first fast today :) I'm going to try 18/6 and see how it goes
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Third fast day of every other day IFing. So far so good. I am hungry, but not overly so. I will drink some more water and green tea which I know will help. I need to last to 6, but probably if I get there won't be eating until 8 making it 26 hours.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I hope you all don't mind but I'm going to jump in here too, I'll be starting my first fast today :) I'm going to try 18/6 and see how it goes

Welcome. It is normally 16/8 for leangains style but you can do whatever you want really :tongue:
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Third fast day of every other day IFing. So far so good. I am hungry, but not overly so. I will drink some more water and green tea which I know will help. I need to last to 6, but probably if I get there won't be eating until 8 making it 26 hours.

Good job! I'm fasting again tomorrow & hoping I'm not as hungry as I was yesterday :) And just after I think I'm good and used to it :tongue:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    This is what happens when I don't fast in the morning: 4 pm and only 291 calories left for the day :sad:
  • rileysowner
    Options

Good job! I'm fasting again tomorrow & hoping I'm not as hungry as I was yesterday :) And just after I think I'm good and used to it :tongue:

All went well. I'm cooking up some honey garlic sausages right now and some veggies to break fast. At this point it will be another half hour (at least) before I eat. That makes it 28+ hours so far. Not starving either. So far a win for every other day. Will weight in tomorrow morning and see how it does for my weight.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    This is what happens when I don't fast in the morning: 4 pm and only 291 calories left for the day :sad:

Time for a nice big meal.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

All went well. I'm cooking up some honey garlic sausages right now and some veggies to break fast. At this point it will be another half hour (at least) before I eat. That makes it 28+ hours so far. Not starving either. So far a win for every other day. Will weight in tomorrow morning and see how it does for my weight.

Can't wait to hear how you did!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    so today in the gym at 615am I felt a bit lightheaded a few times. It was a fasted workout. I drank some more water and was ok. Just wondering if anyone else has had that?
    the sunday was a fasting day so hadn't eaten a whole lot (but still a good meal, dessert and two snacks)
    ate today from lunchtime as not a fasting day-how yummy are the vegetarian burgers at grill'd? And only 480 calories-yay!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Nope, never felt light headed from fasted workouts. I had a good PB squat workout on the weekend fully fasted also. It's totally a mental thing.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    yeah ok it could have been from not drinking much water when I woke up or the 1/2 sleeping tablet I took the night before. The perils of shiftwork :)
  • moby77
    Options
    Hi any advice on what i should do next. I started my first 24hr fast last sunday that was fine ended up being 36hrs because i start late in the evening, I did another on the friday to Saturday (so just under a wk later) i ate normally saturday but sunday an Monday (today) I have had a sickness bug and haven't eaten a thing. I have managed to keep water down today but I dont feel like eating still but worried I'm slowing down my metabolism coz I'm not breaking my fast it's now been 41 hrs plus I fasted Friday. I still feel sick but should I try to make myself have soup? I can drink now but can't face toast or anything, a thin soup maybe, but would that be enough to stop my metabolism slowing or do you have to fast a long time to have an effect ? This is the worse bug i've had
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Hi any advice on what i should do next. I started my first 24hr fast last sunday that was fine ended up being 36hrs because i start late in the evening, I did another on the friday to Saturday (so just under a wk later) i ate normally saturday but sunday an Monday (today) I have had a sickness bug and haven't eaten a thing. I have managed to keep water down today but I dont feel like eating still but worried I'm slowing down my metabolism coz I'm not breaking my fast it's now been 41 hrs plus I fasted Friday. I still feel sick but should I try to make myself have soup? I can drink now but can't face toast or anything, a thin soup maybe, but would that be enough to stop my metabolism slowing or do you have to fast a long time to have an effect ? This is the worse bug i've had

It takes up to 72 hours to have any significant effect on your metabolism. For that matter, unlike most people think, your metabolism does not vary that much. The things that raise it may increase your burn by 100 or so calories a day, and unless you are starving long term the slowing is negligible. I would just concentrate on getting well, and stop worrying about your metabolism. For that matter if you are ill with a fever, your metabolism is increased which is why your body temperature is up.
  • moby77
    Options

It takes up to 72 hours to have any significant effect on your metabolism. For that matter, unlike most people think, your metabolism does not vary that much. The things that raise it may increase your burn by 100 or so calories a day, and unless you are starving long term the slowing is negligible. I would just concentrate on getting well, and stop worrying about your metabolism. For that matter if you are ill with a fever, your metabolism is increased which is why your body temperature is up.

Thanks for being so quick, will stop worrying now an stick to water until I feel 100%.