SWaT Walking Group - May Walk

Options
The SWaT Walking Group May Walk is starting! Congratulations to everyone that walked with us last month and I hope you will stay with us through May.

New members are always welcome. :flowerforyou: This is a great group if you’re looking for friends and support so if you would like to walk with us just jump right in. Any kind of walking is acceptable, outside, inside, Walk away the pounds, treadmill, etc. There is nothing special required to join, just post your goals for the month and your set. You decide your own goal(s) as we are all at different levels and all have our own schedules. Just check in whenever you would like, daily, weekly, whatever works for you. This walk will end on May 31st, but we’ll keep going as long as everyone wants.

I know we’ve lost a lot of folks along the way but you walkers that are still here are going strong. If you would like to add in some weights or other exercise just post it along with your walking goals. However you would like to do it is fine.

The SwaT Walking Team originally stood for Sansone Walking Team (after the Walk Away the Pounds founder) and we just liked the name so it stuck. For those of you that aren't familiar with Walk Away the Pounds they are walking workouts by Leslie Sansone. They are easy to do for someone who is uncoordinated (like me) or older (also like me) or that just can't handle the more strenuous workouts for whatever reason. They can be done in your living room right in front of your TV or computer. They are easy to find at Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy, online and lots of other sources. They can be rented from Netflix and downloaded from the Internet. One of our members has a list of her workouts that are available online too.

I’m not sure keeping the same thread had the benefits I hoped for so I am starting a new one for May. You guys are great and hopefully I’ll get myself re-motivated.

You've all done great this month whether you made your goal or not. You still exercised for a whole month and that's something to be proud of.

Replies

• anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Love those DVD's I have so many of them...
  • sarahsx9
    sarahsx9 Posts: 9
    Options
    I wanna do it! i like walking :)

idk if my signiture is gonna work so,

CW:191
    GW: about 185 or less
  • TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Hello Walkers!!! :flowerforyou:

I'm dropping in quickly just to say Hi! Heading out to dinner with Hubby soon :wink:

Welcome NEW COMERS! WE Love to have you on board. (Bookworm94 and anolan807 )

Lets get our Butts up walking Tomorrow :blushing:

Have A GREAT NIGHT EVERYONE!!!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,258 Member
    Options
    Well count me in again! This thread makes me stay consistent with exercise and I love chatting with everyone. I surpassed my goal for 450 minutes of exercise in April but was 14 miles short of my walking goal of 50 miles due to the week I was sick. For May I will challenge myself to do 720 minutes of exercise per week and walk 40 miles. I plan to add in biking this month and continue with Zumba and strength training. This group has been extremely helpful to me! This will be my 4th month participating and it made me stay active through the winter when I usually crawl under a blanket and knit or read. Thanks to Sandy for keeping us all going!

So tomorrow starts our May challenge! Woo Hoo! Happy walking everyone!
  • Lesliet05
    Lesliet05 Posts: 148
    Options
    Finally getting back into the swing of things. Tax season was just so busy and then getting stepped on by a horse, It has been a rough couple of months, I have been able to walk 2 times this week and no swollen toe. Still have to take it easy so I will say 20 miles in for May.
    Anything has got to be better than 3 miles for the month LOL
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Glad to see all you walking pals, and nice to see the newcomers. Thank you Sandara for the new thread which allows me the inspiration of y'alls company!
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I would love to walk with you. I walk with Leslie just about every day. I will walk 180 minutes a week. Does anyone do the walk and kick dvd? I was wondering how you count that.
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Good morning!

just walked 5.94 miles Pompano Park

Heading out for the day. Going on the boat and having a nice lunch out with Hubby

Enjoy your day everyone!!!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm glad to see the new walkers joining us.

Leslie it's good to see you back.

Karen, I always use the walking 4.0 miles per hour to log most of the WATP workouts. Some of them are more aerobic but when I logged them as aerobic it calculated exactly the same calorie burn as the walking 4.0 for me. So I just use the walking 4.0 to keep it simple. I sometimes use the 4.5 or 5.0 mile per hour on her faster walks. The walk & Kick is a good one. If you like it check out he Punch up your walk if you ever see it anywhere. It's one of my favorites.

I have a birthday lunch to attend but I'll be back later to set my May goals.

Have a good Sunday everyone and enjoy your boat ride Teresa, it sounds like fun.
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    I got my 30 minutes of weight lifting in tonight.

Thanks Sandara! It was one of the best days I've had on the boat. I wish you all could have gone. It was absolutely Perfect! I never wanted it to end today, Sooooooo Relaxing.

Have a wonderful Night !!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I went to the gym with my son. He did his weight lifting while I walked 40 minutes on the treadmill at a brisk pace. I did 20 minutes of weights mainly upper body and then leg presses. Minnesota is gray and gloomy today and we've seen snowflakes off and on! No yard work going on at my house. I like sun and warmth when I work in the yard.

My sister called today. My mom is really slowing down. I think I told you earlier this winter she is in very late stage dementia and we've been waiting for her to pass since December. She slept all day yesterday and never woke up, and also couldn't be woken up by anyone. She woke up for breakfast and then went back to sleep again today. My brother said she opened her eyes this afternoon but wasn't present in the moment but trance like staring into space. From what I've read in the hospice book the person turns inward as they prepare for death. I've prayed over the last months that she would go peacefully in her sleep without pain. She hasn't known us in years, sits in a wheelchair all day, can barely eat or drink, and barely speaks. No quality of life there.... She lives in Michigan so I haven't seen her since Christmas but I would rather hold that memory of what she looked like then than now. She is down to 94 pounds and very weak. So I'm expecting the call any day :cry:

Exercise and checking with all of you helps keep me on track. Between the stress of work and thinking of my mom I could be emotionally over eating but I'm not going to!

Take Care and I'll check in tomorrow.
    Jenny
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Where do you go to get the walking tracker?
  • jrbanta
    Options
    anolan-go to tickerfactory.com You can configure an exercise ticker and set your goal. Pick a code you will remember. When done making your ticker go to the Bbb code on the next page and cut and paste it into your signature box on MFP. You can update as you make progress toward your goals for the month. You can have more than one ticker for different goals just cut and past the Bbb (?) into your signature box. Go to message board, click on signature, and paste into top box and save. It should show up under your post. Good luck!
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sandy, for setting up the thread. I agree with others; this is a great way to keep me accountable. I've decided to stick with 60 miles for May (it's the two miles per day recommended, and the variety of DVDs I have from 1 to 5 miles help keep me on target even if I miss a day here or there).

Karen, like you, I have the Walk and Kick DVD, but I haven't done it yet because I had the same issue with how to log the miles. It's about 30 minutes, which is what her two mile walks average, so I guess that's what I'd use. Similar to Sandy, I use the 3.5 (instead of the 4.0) brisk pace walk. It usually notes a few calories below what my HRM reads, but I figure the cushion may help me. :bigsmile:

Jenny, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. It's a tough time, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Happy May Day to all!

exercise.png
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been doing a pedometer challenge to up the amount I walk so will def be up for this. I'm hoping for 3 miles per day walking but will try and push through that. :)
  • MarieS135
    MarieS135 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

I think I will give this another try. Kind of lost me there towards the end of April. Setting my goal alittle lower this time. I am doing maintenance now and finding it hard to stay motivated to exercise and log my foods. My weight has stayed the same for the last couple months so I must have learned something.

Welcome new walkers! :flowerforyou:

jrbanta - I am so sorry about your mom. I have gone through exactly the same thing with my mom. My heart goes out to you and your family. I know this is a very stressful time and getting alittle exercising in will definately help you.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm in again! I walked 78 miles at work last month and tried some new workouts--some of which I really like. I am again going to track miles walked at work and do my new workouts in the morning. I am going to add another after work starting today. I am hoping that will help with my SEVERE energy drain after work!

This morning's workout is done.

Welcome to our new walkers!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I want to join! I need to get my butt in gear after only losing 3 pounds in April And I haven't exercised in over 2 weeks. I love Leslie and I have a 5K this Saturday. I pledge to walk at least 2 miles per day for the month of May starting today!
    I need to get off my butt. My Mom promised me a new outfit if I make it to 234 this month!
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hello Good Morning WALKERS!!

JENNY!
    I Am SO Sorry , I'll be praying for you and your family through this very sad time. My Heart goes out to you all :heart:
    [ Big Hug]. Between work And Your Mom I don't know how your holding up. GOD BLESS YOU!!! Stay Strong!

Walked 2.9 miles on the treadmill and pushed in 15 minutes of weight lifting.

You All Have a Blessed Day!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Thanks Teresa! No updates on her status today.
    I'm not exercising tonight but relaxing instead. Too cold to ride my bike outside and I don't feel like walking. I'll do extra tomorrow eve!

Teresa we had our first corn on the cob of the season and it was from Florida. It was a nice treat tonight. Your food log looked like you made really good choices today. I could learn some lessons from you. Too much indulging lately on my end...

Have a nice evening everyone!
    Jenny