Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - May Challenge!!

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
Welcome (back) to our EIGHTH instalment of our KICK *kitten* Monthly Challenges, my Kick-*kitten* Twenty-something friends! :bigsmile:

April is finally behind us, the weather is warming up, and summer is just around the corner. Time to shed all those outer layers, throw on our shorts and tees, and get active! Looking forward to seeing some creative goals this month to coincide with all this sunshine and definitely planning on seeing a lot of MEGA milestones reached. I know many of you are nearing your goal weights, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few more Challenge 'Vets' slip into maintenance mode (or damn close to it :wink: ) in May. It's shaping up to be a really good month, ladies and gents! :happy:

For those of you unfamiliar with our challenges...

This group/forum is an on-going conversation between motivated, dedicated and totally kick-*kitten* young people all working towards their own individual goals. Each month we are tasked with setting reasonable and attainable goals for ourselves and then checking-in with the group periodically, either to post questions or advice, update on your own personal progress, or provide support and encouragement for those of us that struggle with the everyday stresses and ups & downs of our journey toward healthier living.

Here's how it works:

1) As our veteran members (and newbs alike) sign onto the challenge once again, a list like the one found at the bottom of this post will start forming. This is our “goals list”. If you want to join the challenge, we ask that you copy and paste the most up-to-date list and tag your own screen name and goals to the bottom – this is so that we can keep things moving along and no one gets left behind! (If you notice that someone's been left off, due to a high volume of posting, please incorporate their goals back into the list whenever possible.)

2) Set attainable and realistic goals! I cannot stress this enough, and we will regularly be posting PSAs (as always) to this effect, but I am going to throw it out there right now just so that we're clear. This group is dedicated to supporting healthy living, first and foremost, and that includes physical, emotional and mental health. So set goals that you know you can reach, with hard work and persistence, and find ways to celebrate small victories whenever you can. This will help you stay motivated and on track! We recommend setting some non-scale goals along with a scale goal if you are trying to lose weight – seeing progress in your fitness, your measurements and your diet is a great way to celebrate small changes in your life that make a HUGE difference. Be flexible, know that things aren't going to go perfectly as planned every day, and allow some wiggle room for a bad day here and there. We all have them!

3) Once your goals are posted, stay active and enjoy the benefits of this awesome community. Oh, and invite your 20-something friends! Let's keep this group moving, ladies and gentleman!

But before all of that.... Here's the list of April goals. How did you do? Reach your goals? Still have things to work on? Did challenges arise throughout the month that you weren't expecting? And how did your goals change over the month?
smashlee1984-curb fastfood eating, complete ripped in 30 (6x/week for 4 weeks), make an effort to be thankful and happy and make healthy (fitness and lifestyle choices) 
wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family 
alwhisler-drink 64oz daily, lose 5 lbs, work out 3x/week, no beer. 
halina20-lose 5 lbs, finish insanity, stay away from jammy dodgers, run 30 mins straight, drink lots of water. 
kvr414-Lose 2 lbs, continue limiting fat intake to >45g/day. Increase a low carb/low GI lifestyle. stay committed to this thread! 
mkingraham (Megan)- Lose 7 lbs, strength train at least once a week (we're going to start easy), and run 3 times a week. 
springstorm: Lose 7 lbs, drink water 64 oz/day, exercise 3x/week, No binges, log everything, sacrifice soda. 
crystalfaith: workout at LEAST 4 days a week, continue progressing through the C25k challenge, drink more water! 
ngoat: (nancy) lose 3lbs, work out 3x/week and drink more water 
spellbinder25: (1)Lose 4 lbs, (2) Run 3 times/week, (3) Run 3 miles on the treadmill by the end of April, (4) Do strength training 3 times/week. 
shannonaufman: lose 6 pounds, walk 50 total miles, drink 64+ oz of water daily, continue C25K, run an entire 5K 
meagalayne- maintain between 125-128lbs; continue with YogaFit once a week; increase my H2O consumption to at least 6 cups a day; quit my job by May 1st; take time every day to feel happy and enjoy the journey! 
Rachellynch83: drink at least 64oz of water a day, keep up with c25k, finish 30 Day shred, increase outdoor family activities 
missjaygraham87 (Jay): Lose 7 lbs, do pilates 3x/week, walk the dog daily, start C25K, drink 7 glasses of water daily. 
edryer123-GW 138, and to get in a 10 minute mile by the end of the month. 
tjradd73-to lose 8lbs, drink 70ozs of water/day, 3 days/arms, 3 days/abs, >90minutes cardio/week. 
hroush-break 190, workout 3+ days a week. 
yvalcaraz-(Yolanda)-Complete 30 day shred, Run for 3 miles w/o stopping, 1000 crunches 3x week, Lose 8lbs, Weight lifting class 2x week 
silhouetted25 (Samantha) -1. Go to the gym at least 4 times a week, but would like to hit 5 times 2. Cut out most white flour products/pastas/breads & eat mainly whole wheat or gluten free 4. Eat more grains and lentils 5. Go on a hike 6. Balance work and working out effectively 
terrilien21 - Drink at least 5 glasses of water a day, get in at least 4 workouts a week, have one cheat day a week (saturday), no beer, stay positive!! 
fitmommy2012- lose 6 lbs, P90x everyday, at least 6 cups of water a day, be happy with self, stay motivated 
Sambloid - Lose 10 lbs and be able to do 50 push ups 
Meggonkgonk- To reach 137lbs, to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30 
Allie7383- start and stick with ChaLean Extreme, bust out of the 150's, continue to work on my running, cook more often, and stop making excuses! 
Finncmh- loss on scale, get back to lifting, run 2-3 times a week, complete 5k April 17th, walk to work at least 3 times a week, better presence on thread than March 
lizzymaez - eat healthier/watching calories, start riding 2-3 times a week, cardio/running at least 3 times a week, and yoga at least twice a week. 
jennro7781 to lose 10lbs 
lemmyhead: log everything every day, exercise 3x week (this doesn't include my walk to work every day), sign up for and start training for the 10km run that will be held on June 19th. 
WanderLaura: Lose 10 pounds; Eat meat a maximum of 1 time/ day (no pork or beef); Jog 3x/ week for a total of 24 miles/ month! :); Do strength-building exercises 2x/ week! ; Be able to do 5 push ups with no knees by May 1st . :) 
emmarie1630-lose 5 pounds, bootcamp 3-4x/week, more sleep, less stress, tons of water 
shelsab- lose 5 lbs. run 3xweek. limit my sweets. 
JessYas-100 PushUp Challenge and lunges at least 3x/week, and get down to a scale weight of 133. Also, I'm cutting out alcohol again! Yes! :) 
mikmakmom- Get into the 130s (lose 4lbs) 
rai8759: 162 lbs by 4/25, 150 min cardio per week, drink 8 cups of water a day and eat at least one fresh fruit or veggie per day 
Goffb28: Lose 5lbs & job on treadmill for 20 minutes straight. 
kayakawaii- lose 5 pounds; eat fruit EVERY DAY; and not drink AT ALL this month 
fromaquizer- Reach first GW; strength train 3times/week and run 2times/week; ake my food everyday (no emergency takeaways!) 
amandamcphee23- Eat clean; Stay within calorie range; Have interval running incorporated into my walks (up to 5:1's run/walk); Get my partner motivated; Keep coffee consumption to 1 cup a day 
lostalykat- get back to 169(before hawaii weight) get back into healthy eating. Work out at least 1 time a week and do yoga 1 time a week. Be calm and collective for wedding planning! 
nausicaa11- lose 6 pounds, exercise 5 days a week and hit the 8km/h mark on the treadmill. 
Keep up the hard work everyone, and make the month of May a great one! :drinker:

Much love, Meag :heart:

Replies

• Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meag! I always try and join the monthly challenges, but then I lose a day or 2 and I've missed about 30 posts. Plus, my phone is internet handicapped so the only time I'm on here is when I'm in class (lol) or when I have some down time to update my blog. So MY GOAL for MAY is

Leela30: comment more on this month's challenge; eat at least 80g of protein a day

(a personal trainer told me the only way I'm really going to see any serious change in my body fat is to eat at least 100g of good protein a day. Seeing as though I'm a "pescetarian" I end up eating a lot of dairy protein (yogurt, cottage cheese, whey protein shakes) but my goal is just to eat more protein even if it's not the best kind..it's a start!)

I can't wait to hear how everyone did in April and HEY! This is our last month before potential bathing suit season! Let's make it a good one!
  • believeinmagic
    Options
    Hoefully this will keep me motivated, this seems like fun :)
    Believeinmagic: To lose 13 pounds; eat more vegetables and do more strength training.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    MAY'S GOAL LIST

Leela30: comment more on this month's challenge; eat at least 80g of protein a day
    Believeinmagic: To lose 13 pounds; eat more vegetables and do more strength training
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Bump for tomorrow!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone:
    I’ve had a few really hectic weeks, and especially joining the softball team at work has been a much bigger commitment than I originally intended (Great because I could seriously use the social life but still more than I expected).
    Ok I need to go to bed pretty desperately but I wanted to get a jump on May, if I may :wink: .
    Meggonkgonk- To reach 137lbs, to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30

So I KILLED my weight goal- I weighed in yesterday morning at 135.4- just over my original final goal! I have not gotten out to the 10k course yet (maybe I will try tomorrow?) Getting out to central park to run the course is tricky from Queens. Grr Argh. I also didn’t make my time goal- though I have run my 4m run at a 10 min mi pace- which so far I’m fairly happy with. So all in all, pretty happy with

Weight wise, I’m slowing my goal- I’m gonna stick with .5lb/wk until I get to 130 and then decide if I want to lose any more. I think I’m hovering right around “done” and I don’t want to overdo it. So I’ll increase my cals if I feel ok also. So my goals for this month:
    MAY'S GOAL LIST

Believeinmagic: To lose 13 pounds; eat more vegetables and do more strength training
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 133lbs; to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30
    Good luck this month everyone!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Allie7383- start and stick with ChaLean Extreme, bust out of the 150's, continue to work on my running, cook more often, and stop making excuses!

ok so AFM... let's see.. I did 1 day of CLX, but didn't stick with it... however I started the 30 Day Shred instead, and tom will be day 4.. still stuck in the 150's, however i didn't gain, still back and forth between the same 2 pounds..i didn't get to run as much as I'd have liked, however I did inprove my time, and was able to do 2 miles in under 20 min!! The cooking was a little better than last month, but still a work in progress... and as for the excuses.. yeah still working on that as well..

April was a crazy month between work issues and applying for grad school, but now that nonsense is gone, at least partly, and i feel this month i can really really focus on losing again..

so here goes for may: get out of the 150's finally, continue with the 30 Day Shred, work on increasing my running distance, and overall feeling good about myself!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    MAY'S GOAL LIST

Meggonkgonk: To reach 133lbs; to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30
    Allie7383:get out of the 150's finally, continue with the 30 Day Shred, work on increasing my running distance, and overall feeling good about myself!
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Oh, can I join?? I don't know if I'm doing this right or not, but here goes...

Allie7383:get out of the 150's finally, continue with the 30 Day Shred, work on increasing my running distance, and overall feeling good about myself!
    SpaceCoconaut: To lose 2-3 lbs a week and stick to my experiment.
  • shannonaufman
    shannonaufman Posts: 383
    Options
    My April goal was:
    shannonaufman: lose 6 pounds, walk 50 total miles, drink 64+ oz of water daily, continue C25K, run an entire 5K

Well, I started the month at 176, and saw 172 on the scale earlier this week. Today I weighed in at 173. So I'll say I lost 3.5 pounds of the 6. I have come to the conclusion that I'll never complain about a loss. So I'm happy I lost during April, and hope to up the loss in May. I would say I successfully met my water goal on 20/30 days in April, which is not too bad. I'm definitely going to try to be more diligent about that in May. I definitely continued with C25K, but way over estimated my progress. I had hoped to finish C25K in April, but decided to take it as the program recommends. So I just finished week 7 day 3 today (!!) and will absolutely, most certainly, finish C25K in May. I also started Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred this past week, and I'm doing it on my 'off' days from C25K.

So my May goals are: lose 4 pounds to hit 169. Drink 64+ ounces of water 25/30 days. Finish C25K. Start One Hour Runner. Stick with 30DS.

Updating the list:

Shannonaufman: lose 4 pounds to hit 169. Drink 64+ ounces of water 25/30 days. Finish C25K. Start One Hour Runner. Stick with 30DS.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    GOnkS!~!~!~! Congrats goncrats!~! You rock!~!

Shannon and Allie, Great work and awesome May goals!~!~!~!

Newbies!~! Welcome welcome, your going to love it here!~!~!

~..... So I just noticed that I WAS NOT on the April list. LoL... I must have just jumped right in when I got back and never joined. Well, if anyone noticed, thanks for not throwing me under the bus~!~!~! lol. My goal was to reach 150. Everything up to this point has been pretty lax for me since I didnt know how I was going to handle all the changes that were happening in my life. So now that I am still alive and still motivated I am setting a CONCRETE goal for this month and STICKING WITH IT!~!~!

That said, I decided not to go with the 9 pounds (it is kind of insane for me). I am shooting for 6!~! Still ambitious, but reachable, I belive~!~! If you didnt see all of my exclamation points, im super excited about this month!~!~!~!~!~!
    I am trying to focus on myself rather than the fact that everywhere I go people are trying to get me to buy Mother's Day presents. And this year my birthday falls on Father's Day. Its going to be hard, but I know I can get through it. (If I start falling I know you guys will notice and kick me in the bum!~!)

here we go!~! . I, Kandace Anne, vow to loose 6 pounds in the month of MAY. I will learn about the Glycemic Index of foods and incorporate Low GI foods more in my diet. I will Jog outside where people can see me (!~!~!) 3 times a week. I will make and follow a workout schedule.

Shannonaufman: lose 4 pounds to hit 169. Drink 64+ ounces of water 25/30 days. Finish C25K. Start One Hour Runner. Stick with 30DS.
    ~KanCrav~ Reach 143, Jog at least 3 times outside,follow WO schedule, incorporate Low GI foods into my diet.
  • KanCrav
    Options
    oh, BTW, i met my Apri Goal!~!~! woot woot!~!

Meag, very nice intro to our Kick *kitten* group. I thought I was at one of my meetings for a second...lol, it is VERY profesional!~!

.............. just so everyone knows, I cant spell! and I type whatever pops in my head, so just try to work with my NONability to form a correct word OR sentence!~!~! :bigsmile: :drinker: <thats coffee.. :flowerforyou: <thats a flower for each of you wonderful people joining in May. here is some more :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Happy May!!

April Goals: 162 lbs by 4/25, 150 min cardio per week, drink 8 cups of water a day and eat at least one fresh fruit or veggie per day

My current weight as of Friday was 164.4, and I will be changing my WI date to that since most often I'll be taking my cheat days on Saturday or Sunday (as I did yesterday). Didn't loose what I wanted, but definitely had a wake up call. Whaat? I can't take 3 or 4 out of a 7 day week as cheat days and still loose weight?!! Shocker...

But seriously I have been dealing with refocusing myself on what I really want instead of what I want right now (mmm.. donuts) as well as my emotional/mental baggage surrounding food. I know that setting "rules" in themselves will not make them magically disappear, but it is still necessary and I don't plan on neglecting the psychological side of my unhealthy use of food.

Otherwise, did a good job of drinking water and eating at least one fruit or veggie (and now have so many of them in my fridge!! aren't you all so proud?!!) Also got pretty consistent work outs in after I got over my cold. Overall I could have done better with planning work outs and actually eating within my calories and eating nutritious calories instead of empty ones (mmm.. donuts).

Ok! May is a new month! Today is a new day!

Starting Weight 164.4 - Goal Weight 160.4
    One day off per week (food)
    WI Friday mornings
    JM 5-6 days a week
    Cardio 3-5 days a week for at least 20 or 30 minutes
    Tracking every day except cheat day
    Eat less processed sugar (all I want is soda, juice, cake, cookies ahh!!! sometimes i think i'm an addict!!)

For those of you who do not know my hubby and I are planning to start trying to get pregnant starting in June, so this is a key month for me to get a better workout schedule going. Basically whatever you did (for exercise) before you were pregnant you can do while you are pregnant, and I'll still keep trying to loose while trying to conceive but probably at a slower pace (unless I read otherwise). So thanks in advance for helping me fight for a healthy me today and a healthy pregnant me tomorrow!!

As a side note.. Just borrowed "You! Having a Baby!" from my girlfriend and am excited to start reading!!!

Love you guys!
    Rachel =D

p.s. TJ... your picture is so intense!! I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark ally. lol. :laugh:
  • rai8759
    Options
    ~KanCrav~ Reach 143, Jog at least 3 times outside,follow WO schedule, incorporate Low GI foods into my diet.
    rai8759: GW 160.4, One day off per week (tracking food), WI on Friday, JM should kick my *kitten* 5-6 days a week, Cardio 3-5 days a week x 20-30 min., Tracking every day except day off, Eat less processed sugar
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    So I know I have been pretty MIA this last month...trying to figure out how to do this without having to log my food and honestly I just haven't had the time to dedicate to logging on and responding to all the posts. I still am pretty consistenly reading through and trying to respond when I have a few "extra" minutes...mostly weekends when my girlies are watching some morning cartoons while I'm enjoying my coffee :drinker:

For all those that are new welcome and KanCrav is RIGHT you ARE going to love it here...you will get out of it what you put into it!! The ladies on here are SUPER supportive and motivating!!!! They have accepted me (and I'm not even in my 20's anymore :grumble: -even though I feel like it :laugh: )

Gonks....AWESOME job!!!
    Kandace...great job on sticking with this even though life got in the way!!! I was just up visiting my mom for the weekend and yesterday would've been their 35 wedding anniversary (my mom had a rough day-thank goodness she had 2 little girls to keep her mind off my dad not being here) and I also took my girls to his gravesite (my oldest has been there before and understood but I had to explain it all over to my 2 year old) as we left both girls waved goodbye and kissed the headstone...tears flowing:heart: I'll be thinking of you :flowerforyou:

AFM:

Ran a 5k yesterday and did very well...not a PR but pretty close. My time was 26:11. I placed 1st in my age group out of 9 and 13th overall out of 91. So it was a smaller race but it was a pretty one...half was a trail run and the other half was pavement! I have picked out the rest of my races for the year and have at LEAST 2 a month...mixing up 5k, 10k, a couple 10 milers, and another 1/2. SUPER pumped!!:love::love: I LOVE RUNNING!!!!

April goal:
    wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family

I pretty much met my goals from April...my WO's kind of varied from week to week depending on what I had going on-it was a BUSY month with work; parent-teacher conferences, report cards, etc. but we did have spring break so I got to amp up my strength and running. As far as new fruits and veggies...we tried ruttabagga (spelling???), star fruit, and ugli fruit this month-girls didn't like any of them (don't think either of the fruits were ripe enough). I was able to spend a lot more time with family outside this month which is part of the reason why I haven't been posting so much.

On to May...I really don't want to change anything...I am happy where I am physically and mentall!!! So I am keeping my goals the same this month!!! I think I have finally found the balance :noway: 33 years later!!!!

wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family, AND try to post at least ONCE a day!!!
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Oops...we must've posted at the same time!!!

rai8759: GW 160.4, One day off per week (tracking food), WI on Friday, JM should kick my *kitten* 5-6 days a week, Cardio 3-5 days a week x 20-30 min., Tracking every day except day off, Eat less processed sugar
    wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family, AND try to post at least ONCE a day!!!
  • rai8759
    Options
    I feel like we've done that before, lol. Thanks for fixing it!!

So I went hunting for new motivational quotes this morning and have just been cracking up reading all these quotes on food and dieting. It is inspiring me to see if you guys wouldn't mind me doing a quote of the day? I think it would be fun, and it would also keep me on mfp at least once a day. What do y'all think? Here is quote #1

"When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won't dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn't taste that bad." ~Janette Barber
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ^ Lol! @ That quote.
  • KanCrav
    Options
    Nice quote...!~!~!~! I feel that way about these Rice Crispy treats I made... I made them so I can share them at a meeting, of course there are still ALOT left and they keep calling me, and I answer.. :( ohh they are soooo good.

Here is a quote I read this morning that stuck with me and helped me start the day, and month with a great mindset. (not nearly as entertaining as Rai though..lol)

"I can actually change my thinking, by altering my thinking, I can change myself. My thoughts create my future. What I will be tomorrow is determined by what I think today." -Daily Reflections for May 1st.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Finncmh- loss on scale, get back to lifting, run 2-3 times a week, complete 5k April 17th, walk to work at least 3 times a week, better presence on thread than March 

Well even though I had my ups and downs last month I really think April was a great month for me. Looks like I pretty much maintained this month. Still trying to figure out what works for me with the WL but I did lose 10 inches between March and April so I am still really happy with that!

I definitely started the month off running a little rough but I completed my 5k (which ended up being 4+ miles the 17th and have been kicking *kitten* with a new running program ever since! I am running another 5k on Mothers Day with my mom but truling working towards a 5k in June on Fathers day with both my parents. Pretty cool that they have gotten in to this too! Been walking to work anywhere between 3-4 times a week so that is great. As for my presence on the thread some days were better than others

This Month:
    I really just want to focus on my fitness and not obsess on the scale. Its been very frustrating and I just need to let it go since I am being really successful with all my other actions. So my goals are going to be to continue working on my running plan every week and I am starting a push-up and squat challenge on Monday. So I am really just going to focus on the fitness aspect of things this month and see where that takes me.

Happy May!

-Cait

PS- Exactly 5 months from today is the big day! EEEEP hard to believe that when this group first started we were talking about it being a year away! GAHHHH