Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - May Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• pixycats
    pixycats Posts: 62
    Options
    This sounds great! I'm definitely in.

Leela30: comment more on this month's challenge; eat at least 80g of protein a day
    Believeinmagic: To lose 13 pounds; eat more vegetables and do more strength training
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 133lbs; to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30
    Allie7383:get out of the 150's finally, continue with the 30 Day Shred, work on increasing my running distance, and overall feeling good about myself!
    SpaceCoconaut: To lose 2-3 lbs a week and stick to my experiment.
    Shannonaufman: lose 4 pounds to hit 169. Drink 64+ ounces of water 25/30 days. Finish C25K. Start One Hour Runner. Stick with 30DS.
    ~KanCrav~ Reach 143, Jog at least 3 times outside,follow WO schedule, incorporate Low GI foods into my diet.
    rai8759: GW 160.4, One day off per week (tracking food), WI on Friday, JM should kick my *kitten* 5-6 days a week, Cardio 3-5 days a week x 20-30 min., Tracking every day except day off, Eat less processed sugar
    wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family, AND try to post at least ONCE a day!!!
    pixycats: lose 5 pounds, continue C210K at least 3/week, stay under calorie goal 6/week, rest one day/week
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    May List:

Leela30: comment more on this month's challenge; eat at least 80g of protein a day
    Believeinmagic: To lose 13 pounds; eat more vegetables and do more strength training
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 133lbs; to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30
    Allie7383:get out of the 150's finally, continue with the 30 Day Shred, work on increasing my running distance, and overall feeling good about myself!
    Shannonaufman: lose 4 pounds to hit 169. Drink 64+ ounces of water 25/30 days. Finish C25K. Start One Hour Runner. Stick with 30DS.
    ~KanCrav~ Reach 143, Jog at least 3 times outside,follow WO schedule, incorporate Low GI foods into my diet.
    rai8759: GW 160.4, One day off per week (tracking food), WI on Friday, JM should kick my *kitten* 5-6 days a week, Cardio 3-5 days a week x 20-30 min., Tracking every day except day off, Eat less processed sugar
    wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family, AND try to post at least ONCE a day!!!
    pixycats: lose 5 pounds, continue C210K at least 3/week, stay under calorie goal 6/week, rest one day/week
    finncmh- not focus on the scale loss! keep working on running plan that I came up with for the 5k in June. Start the push-up and squat 6 week challenge
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Meag- Great idea to put the rules out there early. Thanks for taking the time to put it all out there (esp with your hectic sched on the weekends)

Kandace- Thank you soooo much! Glad you are excited about this month! I think 6 lbs is a great combo of ambitious and reachable. Good luck!!

Rachel- Glad to hear you are back on track and on focus

Melissa- Thanks! And way to go on the race!

Don’t have a lot to update since, you know, yesterday. Just wanted to check in while I had the time
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Cait - congrats on the inches loss! Sometimes I feel like is more important than the scale numbers. And Hooray for the big day getting 1 month closer!

Rai - that quote is hilarious! Thanks for posting it!. May is a great baby making month! :smile:

Kandance - Great job on winning in your April challenge!

Gonks - Congrats on beating your scale goal! That is great news and always deserving of a few pats on the back.. or a pedicure lol

Allie - Goodluck on the grad school apps. I HATE applying to schools, :sick: so stressful. I hope you get in to your top choice!

Melissa - I can't wait to hear about these awesome veggie recipes.

Shannon - great job on your April loss!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am back and ready to tackle this month. April was crazy to say the least. But I am here and ready to make this month count!

finncmh- not focus on the scale loss! keep working on running plan that I came up with for the 5k in June. Start the push-up and squat 6 week challenge
    lostalykat- To get back to 169 by June 1st. Work on headache prevention and be mindful of what I am doing and eating. Focus on my new training plan and enjoy life. Stress less, yoga more!
  • shannonaufman
    shannonaufman Posts: 383
    Options
    Hellerrr fellow @ss-kickers! I'm excited that today is the first day of May, but, looking at what lies ahead of me this month, I'm a little concerned. I'm heading home (to my parents') house for a week tomorrow. They are definitely not healthy eaters, and I feel bad when I don't eat what my mother cooks. I plan on offering to cook dinner each night while I'm home, so maybe that will keep things under control... but I'm still a little nervous. After I get back from home, I'm spending two weeks doing some fieldwork with a fellow PhD candidate, which means 8-10 hour days in the field... and it also probably means fast food lunches. I suppose I can just pack a lunch and eat it in the fast food location? I just don't know. So I stand by my goals, but I'm still just a little nervous about how this month will go. I'm hoping my running routine and new 30 Day Shred routine will keep me on track weight loss and exercise-wise.

Sorry if that was a rambly post without much purpose... but how have you guys dealt with similar stuff in the past? Staying with friends or family who don't eat healthy? Or working in an environment where lunch options are limited?
  • Leela30
    Options
    Hellerrr fellow @ss-kickers! I'm excited that today is the first day of May, but, looking at what lies ahead of me this month, I'm a little concerned. I'm heading home (to my parents') house for a week tomorrow. They are definitely not healthy eaters, and I feel bad when I don't eat what my mother cooks. I plan on offering to cook dinner each night while I'm home, so maybe that will keep things under control... but I'm still a little nervous. After I get back from home, I'm spending two weeks doing some fieldwork with a fellow PhD candidate, which means 8-10 hour days in the field... and it also probably means fast food lunches. I suppose I can just pack a lunch and eat it in the fast food location? I just don't know. So I stand by my goals, but I'm still just a little nervous about how this month will go. I'm hoping my running routine and new 30 Day Shred routine will keep me on track weight loss and exercise-wise.

Sorry if that was a rambly post without much purpose... but how have you guys dealt with similar stuff in the past? Staying with friends or family who don't eat healthy? Or working in an environment where lunch options are limited?

Hey Shannon,

I think offering to cook for your mom would be a great idea! It works as a treat for her AND you can stay on target. IDK how close you are with your mom, but I'm sure she'd understand if you explained to her you are trying to be healthier and watch what you eat so even if she still wants to cook, maybe you can eat what everyone else is eating but just make your own modified version of it. It's really hard for me when I'm home too but luckily this website rocks and if you know the ingredients you can make a rough guestimate.

About the fieldwork: I'd pack food. Back protein bars, peanut butter sandwiches, stuff that won't go bad sitting out all day. (if you can't buy the ingredients there, I'd just pack a jar of PB lol). And if you HAVE to eat out, then look for the healthier options.. salads without the dressing, grilled chicken, don't eat the bun on the burger. It's not easy but you can do it!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all of the newbies this month so far!! And welcome back to all of our vets :happy:

Kandace-I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your excitement for this month!!! And WTG on reaching April's goals, and awesome goals for May! Let's do this girlie!! :happy:

Rachel-hehe thanks!! I was trying to toughen it up a bit for this month to show the drive that I feel!!! You still did pretty good in April and have some kickass goals for May!! *cheers* to you for getting that body baby ready!! And I love the qoute of the day idea!! this one was funny as hell...I don't think that I have ever reached in the trashcan to get out something that I wanted to eat!?!?!?! LOL :laugh:

Cait-you did awesome in April and I am sure you are gonna kill it in May too!!! Can't wait to hear about all of your wedding plans as they finish coming togethor!! :wink:

Shannon-as for being back at home...I would suggest either packing your fave healthy cereals and snacks to eat or go to the grocery store as soon as you get there!! Stick by things that you know and if/when you get the chance to cook show em how its done the healthy way!! Also really try to focus on being extra active while you are there to try and balance out some of the days/meals that you can't control! I don't know if you will be at a hospital while you are doing your fieldwork...but if you are, there most likely will be someplace to bring/leave a lunch!! If not...I would recommend going online and doing some quick research...look up every possible restaurant menu and pick 1-2 things that you can have from each and still be safe!! You will do great :smile:

AFM-still working on my April goals as you all know...my final WI is on Wednesday and I feel like I have really kicked it hard this last week so we shall see!! Got in an extra workout today (yoga burn) and have finished coming up with a workout plan for the whole month!! I can't wait to post how I did for April and my new goals for May...let's kill it this month ladies!!:love:
  • alwhisler
    alwhisler Posts: 6
    Options
    Awesome to look back at my April goal and although I didn't cut out beer, I definitely maintained the water consumption and 3x/week workouts :)

Great job everyone and thanks for being such great motivation!!

My May goal: Increase my run to 45 minutes non-stop, get down to that lower pant size instead of being in-between :)
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    Hey everyone! I would love to join this group, you all sound like great support and I am inspired by everyone's goals for May!

A quick few things about me: I am getting married in Sept 2012 and I want to look hot and be healthy bride. :tongue: I am graduating from nursing school in June and my life is super crazy right now because of that. June will also mark my 1yr commitment to weight loss (even though I joined MFP in Dec). I love life and I just want to be healthy!

I have been stuggeling the past few weeks between 160-162lbs and I want to be out of the 160s!!! Between Easter and a quick vacation to Wisconsin Dells with my fiance I have fallen off the wagon a bit. I want to get back on and keep my weight loss going.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone! I hope I post right, if not please feel free to fix it for me!
    -Natalie

lostalykat- To get back to 169 by June 1st. Work on headache prevention and be mindful of what I am doing and eating. Focus on my new training plan and enjoy life. Stress less, yoga more!
    WannabRN10- get out of the 160's!!! Work out at least 3 days a week (piloxing class, hot yoga class, and weights class). Eat Dairy Queen only twice (it is my fav!). Stay in a positive mind set and not get over-stressed with school.
  • Leela30
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I hope everyone's day is going well. I'm really proud of myself I completed all my monthly goals for today!
    I drank 8glasses of water
    truthfully stayed under my calories
    worked out
    ate >80g of protein, though not enough for my workout.

It's not everyday I do it right so I just wanted to share in the joy! lol:happy:

Have a goodnight everyone and good luck reaching all your goals for tomorrow! :flowerforyou:
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    hahaha ok super quick post just because i was laughing at Rachel's quote... did anyone ever see that episode of sex and the city where miranda substitutes chocolate for sex and gets like obsessed with it? she ends up eating this cake, then gets mad and throws the rest away, then reaches back in for it, then finally pouring dish detergent over it to stop herself lol.. i just loved it, and then she calls carrie and says something about having to be checked into the betty crocker clinic lol.. i know i've felt like that sometimes, minus the actual going in the garbage!
  • tjradd73
    Options
    UPDATING LIST

WannabRN10- get out of the 160's!!! Work out at least 3 days a week (piloxing class, hot yoga class, and weights class). Eat Dairy Queen only twice (it is my fav!). Stay in a positive mind set and not get over-stressed with school.
    alwhisler-Increase my run to 45 minutes non-stop, get down to that lower pant size instead of being in-between :)
  • tjradd73
    Options
    hahaha ok super quick post just because i was laughing at Rachel's quote... did anyone ever see that episode of sex and the city where miranda substitutes chocolate for sex and gets like obsessed with it? she ends up eating this cake, then gets mad and throws the rest away, then reaches back in for it, then finally pouring dish detergent over it to stop herself lol.. i just loved it, and then she calls carrie and says something about having to be checked into the betty crocker clinic lol.. i know i've felt like that sometimes, minus the actual going in the garbage!

If I ever do this....please feel free to reach over and smack the *kitten* out of me!!! LMAO:laugh:
  • sarahmay25
    sarahmay25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to this forum, and I'm not well acquainted with making and keeping goals. So I am going to share my May goal with you guys so that I can't pretend like I have no one to dissappoint lol! So I have always hated running and abdominal work. Most of my fat is carried in my abs (which is really unhealthy), so this month I will work do an ab circuit every day of the week except rest day. And as far as running. I want to make a better time on a mile by the end of every week

alwhisler-Increase my run to 45 minutes non-stop, get down to that lower pant size instead of being in-between :)
    sarahmay25- Complete an ab circuit every day of the week except rest day, and decrease my finish time of a mile by the end of every week.
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!!! Here is our quote of the day:

“Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.” - Anonymous

Melissa – Super great run schedule. You continue to be a major beast (in the best way) =D

KanCrav – Nice quote. =D Motivational ones were actually what I was looking for, but I just started messing around.. lol.

Finn – 5 months! Is the wedding keeping you busy yet? I feel like that is where I started having more to do. 10 inches since March sounds spectacular!!

Lostalykat – Glad you're back!

Shannon – Girl!!! My hubby's family is just like you are describing your parents. IF it is cooked in house it is like total decadent comfort food, but we wind up eating out a whole lot. I definitely agree with Leela BRING FOOD! Last time I went I brought peanut butter, apples, oatmeal, some pre-cut veggies in baggies and my own fat free dressing (basically packed a little cooler).

Another thing you can do is look up the nutrition information for the fast food chains or restaurants you know you might be visiting (like if you Dad loves McDonalds... have a plan). You can absolutely eat out, but often if you don't plan you wind up eating something crazy that you thought was ok. That will also help you find out which places ones you prefer if asked. It can be super stressful to be questioned about why you are not eating what your family “normally” eats, but have some way to say or remind yourself that you are making an important change and why. Also if you have a smart phone there is a My Fitness Pal app!!! Makes it super easy to track your food and exercise.

Have an exercise plan. When I go visit my in-laws (who I LOVE) I plan on getting up early to do SOMETHING... run, walk, exercise dvd. Be realistic about what you would do (like I wouldn't want to Zumba in front of my father-in-law haha). And have fun!!! =D

Natalie – Welcome! I've been off the wagon for a while and am also trying to break out of the 160's! Seems like I can't get myself into the 150's... but now that I'm back to bringing it I'm looking forward to seeing 15_ before I get pregnant. Congrats on nursing school!!!

Leela- Great job in April

Allie- I am not a Sex in the City fan.. but I have seen that episode!! so funny! I think I have been tempted to take stuff out of the trash before... confession time... but I think I MIGHT have done it once to something completely packaged... that was also on top of the trash...

AFM- Had a good day today. I normally take Sunday off exercise-wise. Ate well. I did pig out on some mini marshmallows just an hour ago while catching up on Dancing with the Stars (the only sweet thing in my house right now besides fruit!), but then I chucked the rest of the bag across the room!!! A minute later I was went reaching for them and was like.. hmm.. where did they go?? lol. I didn't eat any because I didn't want to get up and get them. I say that was a pretty good strategy on my part. Exercise tomorrow to start the week off right! Run and JM. Cut up a watermelon and packaged it into servings to eat in event of a sugar craving and planned dinner for Monday night.

Currently working on a bad case of heartburn from said marshmallows.... Going to finish DWTS and read some of my pregnancy book. Have a busy but fun week ahead!!

Rachel =D
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Todays news is awesome. His death does not justify the loss of thousands of American family memebers in the military but It does give us a reaon to stand a little taller today.

Happy Monday Kiss *kitten* MFPers~!~!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday-I got busy cleaning the house from top to bottom and running other various errands. As for April

mkingraham (Megan)- Lose 7 lbs, strength train at least once a week (we're going to start easy), and run 3 times a week.

Well I started April at 223.5 and when I weighed in on Friday the scale said 213.5 which would be 10 lbs gone!!!! But then I promptly started TOM on Saturday and so the scale this morning says 217, but my fat mass is still where it was when I weighed in at 213.5- so While at this exact moment in time the scale say 217 which would be a 6.5 lbs loss I am calling my 7lb goal for April total *kitten* kicked!

I have been strength training in that I have been doing boot camp once a week, but its not strength training in the way I really want to so I don't know that I really accomplished that goal, and I am pretty sure I ran 3 times a week so I feel good about that! I am excited for May and have some seriously exciting goals this month!

I want to get to 208 which would be a total loss of 43 lbs and would put me half way to my goal! so that is 5.5 lbs this month assuming that my 213.5 that I saw on Friday stays around. I also want to put some serious effort into strength training so that I can drop another size. I have definitely lost enough weight but I think things need to tighten up so that I can lose some more inches.

Other then that I can't wait to keep kicking butt with all of you lovelies!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    sarahmay25- Complete an ab circuit every day of the week except rest day, and decrease my finish time of a mile by the end of every week.
    mkingraham (Megan)- get down to 208, strength train at least 2 times a week, run 3 times a week
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    great job in April!!!!! I never ended up posting a goal for April, but it was pretty good overall. I managed to stay in my 5 pound weight range between 130-135. I had some extra indulgences with travel, and friends visiting so there was some ups and downs but I guess that's to be expected. I have been doing a lot of running and got a PR in the 5k. This month I will be doing a 10k end of May, so I will be working towards improving my time in that.

This month my goal is to stay towards the lower limit of my weight range and to enjoy life, exercise, and social events and not dodge anything that may involve unhealthy food or drinks. I need to be able to do social things, and just use moderation.

mkingraham (Megan)- get down to 208, strength train at least 2 times a week, run 3 times a week
    eleanoreb (Eleanore or El) - improve 10k run time, stay in bottom part of weight range, face food head on and not give in to temptations (rather than just avoid)