Pregnancy 2011- May

Options

Replies

• JKilty
    JKilty Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just joined yesterday and I am in some serious need of support/motivation. I can't help but notice how friendly everyone is and supportive one another. I hope this helps:)

A lil about me. My DH and I are TTC but I would like to lose some weight. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), have thyroid issues and some other hormone imbalances. Anyone else have similar problems?

I don't have PCOS or thyroid issues, but I hope that you find the support and motivation you need!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Brittony - My back feels like it "catches" (I don't know how else to describe it) sometimes when I go from sitting to standing and walking. I wouldn't call the pain excruciating, but it's definitely enough to make me hold my back and waddle ridiculously until it uncatches. :laugh: I'm sorry you're having so much pain. I don't think I would consider any severe pain normal until you're in active labor, but what do I know? :tongue:

Anne - I'm starting to swell more, too, with the heat. :ohwell: I just try to keep my feet propped up as much as I can. I'm not sure it helps, though, to be honest.

Rachel -- Love that bump!!

meokk -- I could personally never get down with my mom or MIL moving in for longer than a few days. But, then again, we all live in the same country (in the same state, even, for now). My mom is about 2 hours away and MIL is 2.5 hours away and that's still close enough for them to come and go for a few days at a time here and there. The max amount of maternity leave I can take and still get my old job back is 12 weeks. I'm still hoping a miracle happens and I can stay at home for good, or at least only go back part-time. I'm not holding my breath for either to happen, though. :ohwell:

Lynn -- :laugh: While I was reading your snowmobile/snowmachine rationale, I was thinking "Snowmachine? Wouldn't that be something that MAKES snow?" and then I read on that's exactly what you think. Sorry you're having a bad day at work. Sounds like it's time for a sign up sheet to be posted outside of the conference room. Scheduling for dummies style. What's the point of scheduling the room if no one acknowledges the schedule? :grumble: I would be such a mega-***** about it. Is it nice enough outside to have a picnic type lunch today? (grasping)

jenzimmer -- I hope you punched your husband after he said that about your weight. It sure wasn't a very supportive thing for him to say. You ARE doing fabulously! It doesn't matter where you started last pregnancy vs. this one. Completely irrelevant.

Thanks for all the thoughts for my mom on Sunday. She is coping incredibly well most of the time.
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP!
    I thought I gained 25 pounds over night.... until I realized my husband had his FOOT on the scale!!!!!!

o_O

rofl!
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks that is a big help.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Rachel- Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if my insurance pays for a chiropractor. I already told my husband that, if I can make it through the rest of this pregnancy without doing anything about it, I'll be hitting the chiropractor afterwards if it persists. It just drives me crazy that I can't do simple things like lift my left leg without an extreme pain shooting through my body. I agree with you Julie, I don't think I should have to experience extreme pain until labor. I've got a pretty good tolerance too (well IMO at least). I may not be good with illness, but I handle injury type pain pretty well. I guess that's why I've made myself deal with this for many months now. It's just gotten way too painful in the last week.

Carina- HAHAHAHA! Mean hubby!

jenzimmer- That wasn't a very nice thing for your husband to say! I bet he thought he was so smart :smile: Boys just don't get it sometimes. You are doing really well! You need to gain weight for the baby and I would consider this pregnancy a clean slate from the last. You can't consider pre-pregnancy weight from a previous pregnancy. You are doing exactly what you need to be doing! Get back in that bubble your husband tried to burst :tongue:
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options

jenzimmer -- I hope you punched your husband after he said that about your weight. It sure wasn't a very supportive thing for him to say. You ARE doing fabulously! It doesn't matter where you started last pregnancy vs. this one. Completely irrelevant.

I know right!? Ugh! Men just don't get it. :grumble: I don't really think he understands what its like for a women. Yes, we have to gain weight for the baby. Each one of us is on here because we want to be healthy and we one way or another are struggling with our weight. Either we've hit our goals and are just "watching it" or it's still a work in progress. Thanks for the kind words. When I was expecting DS he was not supportive either. I put on 50 pounds and it was really hard on me. I was kind of depressed about it. So I've been so good, and I'm trying not to gain 50 with this one as well. Thanks again! :smile:
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    I'm just looking at maternity leave policies / payment etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_leave and am amazed. The US is the only one on the list that has "0 weeks" paid as national policy.

So interesting! Aftering meeting all you ladies on this board I realized how lucky I am. (though I likely pay for it through higher income taxes or something) Some european countries sure have it good, I bet their taxes are outrageous!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just joined yesterday and I am in some serious need of support/motivation. I can't help but notice how friendly everyone is and supportive one another. I hope this helps:)

A lil about me. My DH and I are TTC but I would like to lose some weight. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), have thyroid issues and some other hormone imbalances. Anyone else have similar problems?

Hi! Mostly this thread has women who are currently pregnant but we have a sister thread called Fit for Future Families. I started there. A lot of those ladies have PCOS and they know so much about it and other issues that you are describing. You are of course welcome to stay here :smile: but they may be able to help you more.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all of the newcomers! I havn't been counting calories due to getting sick so I am not much help. Sorry!

JenZimmer- How rude. I would have punched him too. You are doing awesome!

Carina- oh my, I would have been panicking. haha.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    I just happened to find this group while being nosy!!! I am a mommy to 2 little boys ages 3 and 1. I would like to lose alot of weight before TTC-ing #3. My husband and I are thinking in about a year and a half. Looking for anyone who can be supportive of my journey!!!

Welcome! You have come to the right place. the ladies here rock!
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    So I'm bummed. My hubby rained on my parade last night big time. So I've been SOOO proud of myself with this pregnancy. I've been walking and really careful with what I eat. So far I've gained 7 pounds which I think is good! I was looking back and at 17 weeks with my ds I was up 15! :noway: So I shared this with DH last night, I was all excited. And he says "wait, how much do you weight right now?" And I said, I'm 143, my pre preg weight was 136. He goes, "well you started out with kayden at 131, so really you are heavier starting this pregnancy and 131+15=146 so really you are only with in 3 pounds of where you were last time." BOOOOOO! Talk about bursting my bubble!!!! :sad:

How rude!! The previous pregnancy should not matter, its about where you were when you started this one.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    So the test was not as bad as I expected, the sugar drink did not taste good but I managed to get it down without gagging or feeling nauseous so yay! Should get my results by tomorrow or Thursday.

Also booked my 20 week anatomy scan for June 7th so the countdown is on ! I cannot wait to find out boy or girl.....

Jen - silly hubby, I can't tell if he's being mean or if he's clueless, either way it's time to tell him to zip it :grumble: :bigsmile: 7 lbs is perfect for you I think ??? I'm up 5lbs as of today but also started overweight so trying to stay under 20lbs total gain.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Rachel- Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if my insurance pays for a chiropractor. I already told my husband that, if I can make it through the rest of this pregnancy without doing anything about it, I'll be hitting the chiropractor afterwards if it persists. It just drives me crazy that I can't do simple things like lift my left leg without an extreme pain shooting through my body. I agree with you Julie, I don't think I should have to experience extreme pain until labor. I've got a pretty good tolerance too (well IMO at least). I may not be good with illness, but I handle injury type pain pretty well. I guess that's why I've made myself deal with this for many months now. It's just gotten way too painful in the last week.

There are things you can do to try to shift baby off your spine and hopefully off that sciatic nerve. You should google that because I don't know off hand what they are. Sciatic nerve pain will start at the low back and curve out through one of your buttocks (or both depending), down the back of the leg and in extreme cases all the way to your big toe. Sometimes chiropractic manipulation can help, if it's just a tweak of your spine - most likely it is, vs disc injury - sciatica if very common in pregnancy with the strain on your low back and sometimes baby putting direct pressure on a specific vertebra and thus that bone pushing on your nerve bundles - but it's really hit or miss as well on if a chiropractor will work, especially since you 'can't' get an Xray to verify what it is that is pushing on the spine. Some simple things that can help - posture. I know it's hard but try to not swayback as much as possible. Some of those support girdles or underwear etc could help take some of the pressure off the front, which would also help take some of the strain off your back. Stretch your hamstrings often and well. That will often help a lot with sciatica. Work on your back muscles - pregnant the best bet is some light lifting and some swimming. Phys therapy can give you very specific exercises to help if your dr will prescribe it and your ins will cover it, or if it's worth it to you out of pocket. While preg no Dr would recommend doing anything more unless you get incapacitated by it. And I mean, can't walk can't function incapacitated. It SHOULD be something you can manage and recover from quickly after preg, and if it doesn't go away get some Xrays and if they don't show something definitive, get an MRI to rule out disc injury. If it gets really unbearable during preg (and it would have to be pretty bad since sciatica is a common symptom) MRI's are safe during pregnancy. Like I said though, you probably have to ***** quite a bit about it to your Dr before they would put in for an MRI. I can relate to what you are going through. I had that moderate to severe pain for about 6 years with flare ups of SEVERE pain from time to time. I currently have some nerve pain, but hoping it is just typical preg sciatica and not my disc acting up. It makes me wince and grit my teeth from time to time but compared to what it was (in pain 90% of the time to some degree) it is very manageable now!
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Brittony: I’m experiencing similar pain but it’s more in my groin and thigh area and a little in my back and today at my appt my doc said that it was a result of the way the baby is positioned. Today it felt as if it was going to pop into place I tried to force it but it just hurt more so I just stretched a little.

Rachel: Cute bump!!! I really need to post mine.

Lynn: I’m sorry to hear about your luncheon and I want to thank you for the effort you put into recognizing your volunteers this world needs more people like you.

Mel: I hear you on the take out it seems that since I’ve been so tired my husband keeps bringing home fast food also he’s made a meal here and there which I’m thankful for but the takeout is really hurting my healthy eating. Not to mention the 24pack of Dr. Pepper he brought home on mothers day 

Ron: yay!! Gender scan!! Hopefully your LO isn’t modest like mine.

Julie: good job on getting a lot of rest! A close friend of mine always tells me if you feel you need to rest now is the time to do so cause when baby comes you will be lucky if you sleep in 2-3 hr increments.

Jen: I’m sorry about your hubby’s comments I think that you’re doing GREAT! I agree w Julie that you are starting this pregnancy on a clean slate!

AFM: My appt went very well and was quick! I did gain 3lbs but I’m thinking that most of that is water weight since I have been swelling more and more the last three days. It’s likely due to all the eating out that hubby and I have been doing. Otherwise baby is measuring just fine, blood pressure is fine so no big concerns which I’m happy about. My only gripes to her were the pain in the groin/thigh area and the swelling. We are starting our birthing classes tonight so I’m really looking forward to that yay!!
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So the test was not as bad as I expected, the sugar drink did not taste good but I managed to get it down without gagging or feeling nauseous so yay! Should get my results by tomorrow or Thursday.

Also booked my 20 week anatomy scan for June 7th so the countdown is on ! I cannot wait to find out boy or girl.....

Jen - silly hubby, I can't tell if he's being mean or if he's clueless, either way it's time to tell him to zip it :grumble: :bigsmile: 7 lbs is perfect for you I think ??? I'm up 5lbs as of today but also started overweight so trying to stay under 20lbs total gain.

You did the gulcose test already? Hmm, well that should be coming up soon then. I thought I did that like at 25 weeks with DS. Guess not lol. Yea, he's clueless. It's word vomit. He never really thinks about it, it just comes out. :laugh: He then went on to tell me that "you're gonna gain weight. Don't worry about it." Well after a comment like that how can I not! I'm 5'6 and pre preg weight is 136 so 7 pounds is right were I should be. My Dr said between 25-35 gain for me. I would like to keep it under 35, hence me on here! :laugh:

We have our ultrasound booked for June 2nd. Are you finding out? Any "gut feeling"? With my DS I just knew he was a boy, and I was right! So it'll be interesting this time to see if my gut is right again.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    JEN:
    I'm totally finding out - I cannot wait but hubby does not want to know - this might be tricky. No gut feeling but I'd quite like a girl :heart:

I had an early glucose test because I was overweight when I started my pregnancy, I think 25-28 weeks is normal and I'll be getting another then! lucky me.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yea, he's clueless. It's word vomit. He never really thinks about it, it just comes out. :laugh: He then went on to tell me that "you're gonna gain weight. Don't worry about it." Well after a comment like that how can I not! I'm 5'6 and pre preg weight is 136 so 7 pounds is right were I should be. My Dr said between 25-35 gain for me. I would like to keep it under 35, hence me on here! :laugh:

Mine keeps saying "honey, you're pregnant. you're gonna get fat." or "you're pregnant, you're supposed to be fat". Men. :grumble: It doesn't bother me coming from him though because he's not mushy so this is typical talk for him not something insulting or insensitive exactly.
  • sexylily
    sexylily Posts: 68
    Options
    Hello!! How do I join?
  • Mamatoabunch
    Mamatoabunch Posts: 749
    Options
    So I'm bummed. My hubby rained on my parade last night big time. So I've been SOOO proud of myself with this pregnancy. I've been walking and really careful with what I eat. So far I've gained 7 pounds which I think is good! I was looking back and at 17 weeks with my ds I was up 15! :noway: So I shared this with DH last night, I was all excited. And he says "wait, how much do you weight right now?" And I said, I'm 143, my pre preg weight was 136. He goes, "well you started out with kayden at 131, so really you are heavier starting this pregnancy and 131+15=146 so really you are only with in 3 pounds of where you were last time." BOOOOOO! Talk about bursting my bubble!!!! :sad:

Really, really, oh my gosh. I'd bop your dh for you.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Mamatoabunch Posts: 749
    Options
    My dh keeps saying I am not, not fat. Which is lovely of course, he is great. But holy crap my thighs and knees have become exponentially fatter in the last two weeks.