If you think you gained muscle... Read this.

Options
123457»

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    ^^^Samies
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Based upon the number of “you probably gained muscle” posts I have seen this week so far, I felt this needed a bump.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Based upon the number of “you probably gained muscle” posts I have seen this week so far, I felt this needed a bump.

LOL!! I quit reading the threads for that reason. So much misinformation out there.......
  • djorifici
    djorifici Posts: 1
    Options
    amen.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I also dislike when people say the gained weight because they "gained muscles". If it were that easy, we'd all look like Mr. Olympia in a few months!
    Couldn't have said it better than this.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there who can explain all this in laymans terms? its look very interesting and some of it i can grasp, but it does confuse me! i think i lost brain power alnog with weight! thank you
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Is there anyone out there who can explain all this in laymans terms? its look very interesting and some of it i can grasp, but it does confuse me! i think i lost brain power alnog with weight! thank you

In summary:
    - You will not gain muscle by accident, it takes intentional work
    - Muscle size and muscle mass are not the same thing.
    - Muscle mass = muscle density and attributes to strength and power (think Olympic weight lifter)
    - Muscle size = build up of fluid in the muscle cells and attributes minimally to strength (think bodybuilder)
    - Gaining muscle mass typically requires lifting heavy (75%-85% + of your 1RM)
    - Lifting at this intensity automatically forces you into a lower rep range because you can’t lift a heavy weight as many times as a lighter weight.
    - The speed at which you lift can also be a factor in the amount of weight you can lift.
    - Faster lifting = the ability to lift heavier weights, which lands you in the lower rep ranges
    - Slower lifting = requires lighter weight and will land you in the higher rep ranges
    - The average male should expect no more than 1-2lbs of muscle mass gains per month
    - The average female should expect no more than ½-1lb of muscle mass gains per month
    - In most cases building muscle mass requires a calorie surplus, except in individuals with higher BF%
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options

In summary:
    - You will not gain muscle by accident, it takes intentional work
    - Muscle size and muscle mass are not the same thing.
    - Muscle mass = muscle density and attributes to strength and power (think Olympic weight lifter)
    - Muscle size = build up of fluid in the muscle cells and attributes minimally to strength (think bodybuilder)
    - Gaining muscle mass typically requires lifting heavy (75%-85% + of your 1RM)
    - Lifting at this intensity automatically forces you into a lower rep range because you can’t lift a heavy weight as many times as a lighter weight.
    - The speed at which you lift can also be a factor in the amount of weight you can lift.
    - Faster lifting = the ability to lift heavier weights, which lands you in the lower rep ranges
    - Slower lifting = requires lighter weight and will land you in the higher rep ranges
    - The average male should expect no more than 1-2lbs of muscle mass gains per month
    - The average female should expect no more than ½-1lb of muscle mass gains per month
    - In most cases building muscle mass requires a calorie surplus, except in individuals with higher BF%

Thank s for taking tim eout to explain, i understand woohoo, much appreciated
  • chroi23
    Options
    disregard this post