Considering Atkins

Options
*I thought I made a post about this, but I could not find it.*

I am considering Atkins and I know that many frown upon it, but I have been doing alot of research and I really think I would like to give it a go. So much has changed since I tried it 8 years ago. So, I would like to get reviews from anyone who has tried the new Atkins and had success or failure. I want honest reviews and honest opinions please.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you read the book and FOLLOW it. Too many people stop at the induction phase and then wonder what went wrong. Check out Paleo/Primal it's a lot like Atkins but IMO better.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into www.marksdailyapple.com / The Primal Blueprint instead of the Atkins philosophy.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.

It's bad for your kidneys.

Don't hurt your organs.

No matter the topic you can ALWAYS find research to support it online. But, don't believe everything you read. It's a horrible diet and the minute you stop your body gains back much of the weight. Horrible.

If you notice, MFP lays out your calories and nutrition for each day. It's balanced.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into www.marksdailyapple.com / The Primal Blueprint instead of the Atkins philosophy.

Agreed.
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've done strict low-carb in the past. In my experience, it's a difficult lifestyle to maintain. The MFP lifestyle is easier because you don't end up craving carbs.

That said, I try to keep to a low-ish carb diet, and low-ish fat as well.

Everything in moderation.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    The problem with Atkins is that it isn't really maintainable... 90% of the time the second you go back to eating normally the weight will come right back... so either to do low/no carb forever, or you go into it knowing there's a good chance that weight loss won't be maintainable in the long run. I've decided to go with the calorie counting/portion control because I KNOW that it is something I will be able to maintain in the long run.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I did it last summer for a couple months. I read the book and followed the plan exactly as outlined...and I was starving! They recommend eating 1800 calories, but I personally felt sick trying to eat the protein/fat ratios they recommended. However, I am really glad that I did Atkins, because it taught me how to really evaluate what I was eating. Since then, I've cut back on added sugars, switched to whole foods, totally cut out high fructose corn syrup, and I just make healthier decisions period.

And as a side note - when your body is in ketosis, your breath really does smell horrible, I was constantly using mouthwash to counteract it. And you'll have to be sure to eat/drink a lot of fiber to counteract the constipation you may experience.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Just ignore all the haters :) Ignorance is bliss...

check out www.marksdailyapple.com

don't just try a diet b/c it's what someone is blindly telling you to do. (like following the standard american diet just b/c the govt tells you to, for example) Do your own research, use some commone sense. read lots of information from both sides? try out different stuff until you find something that works with your body. We're all different. I prefer Primal eating b/c it's not just a fad diet, it's a lifestyle. yes, the book is written by somebody, but it's a way of eating that's been around for way longer than the way most people eat now. If you prefer to do the Atkins thing, then go for it. Just do what you feel is right for you. Anything that omits grain/sugars is going to be a big positive!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins ten years ago, and yes the weight came off. However, I just couldn't live with some of the restrictions and buying "low-carb" substitutes for everything. Result is the weight slowly came back on. That being said, however, I really do believe that reducing carbs is really key to lowering weight; I truly believe that. This time, however, I am doing things a little different, in that while I'm not using the 'low-carb" diet, I'm trying as best possible to avoid the "fat-carb" combination in most of my meals. If I want something a little fatty, I try to go low-carb. If I want carbs, and I emphasize good carbs, i.e. fruit, whole-wheat stuff, etc., I try to go low fat. I am fine with eating quite a bit of lean protein whenever, and have a lean protein-based, low-carb breakfast. Then, for lunches, I tend to have something lower in fat and that's where I give myself my carbs, i.e. quinoa/brown rice with grilled veggies, hummus and low-carb pita, etc. Then, for dinner, a balanced meal with minimal carbs. I can live like that, and have found great success in just trying to avoid that nasty fat/carb combo.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.

It's bad for your kidneys.

Don't hurt your organs.

No matter the topic you can ALWAYS find research to support it online. But, don't believe everything you read. It's a horrible diet and the minute you stop your body gains back much of the weight. Horrible.

If you notice, MFP lays out your calories and nutrition for each day. It's balanced.
    It is sooo not healthy!!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Why try a gimmick when you can eat a balanced diet and enjoy all foods but just do so in moderation? Do you really think that you can follow Atkins for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE? Once you come off Atkins and start eating "normal" your body will put the weight back on. The only way to really control weight is to eat a balanced diet, watch your caloric intake and exercise. Everyone wants the secret to being "thin and healthy". Well, there it is.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Wait. Before everyone derails into a "low carb is horrible" trainwreck, keep this in mind: "YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO EATING JUNK AND KEEP RESULTS"

This applies to every single one of you reading this.

YES YOU. You define what is junk in your lifestyle. It's that food that causes you to put on weight once again. That crap you need to keep out of the cupboards.

You cannot eat the "MFP" way of 55% carboydrate and controlled portions, go binge on cake for a week, and expect to lose weight. Guess what, that ain't gonna fly. Same as someone eating an Atkins lifestyle needs to understand how and when to increase carbohydrate consumption in the form of healthy carbohydrate. That level that they need to consume is dependent upon them. They will find out how much to conume to continue loss and eventually to maintain.

YOU follow what works for you. Many are on a controlled carboydrate diet (myself included) and it has worked for us and continues to work. I have come to adapt to the reality that I cannot cheat all the time and eat cakes, beer, and breads and high carbo-load foods or I will go back to being the fat, unhappy sugar addict I was 7 years ago.

Ain't no magic solution.

And as for renal failure during low carbohydrate, could you back up your source please ?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Wait. Before everyone derails into a "low carb is horrible" trainwreck, keep this in mind: "YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO EATING JUNK AND KEEP RESULTS"

This applies to every single one of you reading this.

YES YOU. You define what is junk in your lifestyle. It's that food that causes you to put on weight once again. That crap you need to keep out of the cupboards.

You cannot eat the "MFP" way of 55% carboydrate and controlled portions, go binge on cake for a week, and expect to lose weight. Guess what, that ain't gonna fly. Same as someone eating an Atkins lifestyle needs to understand how and when to increase carbohydrate consumption in the form of healthy carbohydrate. That level that they need to consume is dependent upon them. They will find out how much to conume to continue loss and eventually to maintain.

YOU follow what works for you. Many are on a controlled carboydrate diet (myself included) and it has worked for us and continues to work. I have come to adapt to the reality that I cannot cheat all the time and eat cakes, beer, and breads and high carbo-load foods or I will go back to being the fat, unhappy sugar addict I was 7 years ago.

Ain't no magic solution.

And as for renal failure during low carbohydrate, could you back up your source please ?

Sing it, Barn!

The way someone chooses to eat in order to lose weight must be something they do for the rest of their lives. It does not matter what diet you're on, because if you ever go back to eating crap (and we all do once in a while, cuz we're human), the weight loss/maintainance is not sustainable. I don't care if you eat 300 carbs a day or 30, if you eat crap, you're going to hinder your body composition goals & progress.

btw, giggling at all the paleo/primal warriors on the thread. *Hugs* Love my Grok Stars! My vote is for paleo/primal. Nothing beats eating whole, unprocessed foods!
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I personally felt like *kitten* on the Atkins. Big time. But some people like it. It was just not something I could maintain, personally. I was tired all.the.time.

I have learned that I feel really really good when I eat healthy carbs, like whole grains and fruits, and stay away from simple sugars/carbs.

I personally believe that moderation is the key to success. Smaller portions, healthier "whole" foods. It has to be something you can stick with for the rest of your life.
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice so far. I tried atkins 8 years ago and only did induction because I didn't really know what I was doing. However, I researched it this time and understand that you slowly up your carbs til you find your daily carb limit that keeps you from gaining weight and having sugar cravings. I did gain the weight back 8 years ago, but like I said I didn't try to change my habits I just changed them for 2 weeks. I have to say that losing then gaining back weight does not just happen with Atkins. Infact, it can happen if you follow MFP too. I started MFP last June and lost 27 pounds by August. Guess what? I gained 23 of it back and I am in the same boat that I was in before. I have to say though I am always starving and thinking about what I am going to eat next and if I eat this for lunch and this for dinner I still have this many calories to eat before bed. I don't think that is healthy at all, but that is what MFP does for me. I am at a loss, but I know I want to make a change, but after doing MFP and returning to my old habits I don't know what to do.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You cannot eat the "MFP" way of 55% carboydrate and controlled portions, go binge on cake for a week, and expect to lose weight. Guess what, that ain't gonna fly.

That's so true.

But, if you're trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle, you can't really binge on anything because binging itself isn't healthy, mentally or physically. A slice of birthday cake at a party or an occasional doughnut won't hurt (I lost weight and am maintaining eating sweets in moderation) but if you eat half a sheet cake, or an entire platter of potato skins, or a bucket of fried chicken, you're erasing the calorie deficit you've tried so hard to achieve. For some people, a carefully planned treat staves off a binge.

To the OP: Atkins works for some but is difficult to adhere to for a lot of people. Try it, the worst thing that can happen is that you find it's not for you and switch to something else. But you won't know unless you try.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options

YOU follow what works for you. ...

Hear, hear. And, well said. As well as to whoever above said "everything in moderation." OP, whatever you do, just make sure you do a lot of reading on whichever lifestyle change you're thinking of adopting. Only you'll know for sure what is maintainable for YOU.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    You cannot eat the "MFP" way of 55% carboydrate and controlled portions, go binge on cake for a week, and expect to lose weight. Guess what, that ain't gonna fly.

That's so true.

But, if you're trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle, you can't really binge on anything because binging itself isn't healthy, mentally or physically. A slice of birthday cake at a party or an occasional doughnut won't hurt (I lost weight and am maintaining eating sweets in moderation) but if you eat half a sheet cake, or an entire platter of potato skins, or a bucket of fried chicken, you're erasing the calorie deficit you've tried so hard to achieve. For some people, a carefully planned treat staves off a binge.

To the OP: Atkins works for some but is difficult to adhere to for a lot of people. Try it, the worst thing that can happen is that you find it's not for you and switch to something else. But you won't know unless you try.
    I completely agree. I don't want to live a lief where I can never have a peice of pie. It is just not right for ME. I just need to learn to eat a peice and not the entire pie ;)

Any and every diet/lifestyle is going to have points where we stumble and fall back. It is human, we are not perfect. I have lost weight and gained it back many times. For me, Atkins was just not something that made me feel better. Yes, I lost weight, but it was not worth feeling like crap day in and day out. Moderation in all things makes me feel BETTER, and therefore seems easier to maintain for me.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice so far. I tried atkins 8 years ago and only did induction because I didn't really know what I was doing. However, I researched it this time and understand that you slowly up your carbs til you find your daily carb limit that keeps you from gaining weight and having sugar cravings. I did gain the weight back 8 years ago, but like I said I didn't try to change my habits I just changed them for 2 weeks. I have to say that losing then gaining back weight does not just happen with Atkins. Infact, it can happen if you follow MFP too. I started MFP last June and lost 27 pounds by August. Guess what? I gained 23 of it back and I am in the same boat that I was in before. I have to say though I am always starving and thinking about what I am going to eat next and if I eat this for lunch and this for dinner I still have this many calories to eat before bed. I don't think that is healthy at all, but that is what MFP does for me. I am at a loss, but I know I want to make a change, but after doing MFP and returning to my old habits I don't know what to do.

You sound alot like me. I too have lost and gained on and off for the last 8 years! my "normal" diet was awful! and i was always starving when i was counting calories/watching portion sizes. that's why I love eating primal. I'm always full, and the cravings go away after you get rid of the carb/sugar addiction. I def think you should give it a try, and if you don't like it you can always try something different!
  • Yummymummy135
    Options
    I'd seriously advise against it. I did it years ago and got a very very severe kidney infection after only 2 weeks on it and when I stopped I put back on the weight I had lost. Its soo not worth it. Just stick to a low carb diet instead!