Considering Atkins

Options

Replies

• heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Wait. Before everyone derails into a "low carb is horrible" trainwreck, keep this in mind: "YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO EATING JUNK AND KEEP RESULTS"

This applies to every single one of you reading this.

YES YOU. You define what is junk in your lifestyle. It's that food that causes you to put on weight once again. That crap you need to keep out of the cupboards.

You cannot eat the "MFP" way of 55% carboydrate and controlled portions, go binge on cake for a week, and expect to lose weight. Guess what, that ain't gonna fly. Same as someone eating an Atkins lifestyle needs to understand how and when to increase carbohydrate consumption in the form of healthy carbohydrate. That level that they need to consume is dependent upon them. They will find out how much to conume to continue loss and eventually to maintain.

YOU follow what works for you. Many are on a controlled carboydrate diet (myself included) and it has worked for us and continues to work. I have come to adapt to the reality that I cannot cheat all the time and eat cakes, beer, and breads and high carbo-load foods or I will go back to being the fat, unhappy sugar addict I was 7 years ago.

Ain't no magic solution.

And as for renal failure during low carbohydrate, could you back up your source please ?

I love this comment and totally agree!! If you wanna try a different diet for a bit of variety go for it and let us know how you got on as i'm sure A LOT of us are curious! You may find it useful to also look at the consequences of restricting food groups too though as a means of educating yourself. Carbs are the bodies main energy source so if you cut them out and your exercising, what is your body going to use?? I would love to try it but unfortunately I love potatoes, weetbix and rice too much!

Do whatever you want hun just make sure your happy and healthy when you do it. We're only experts in our own lives.

if you cut carbs your body will use fat as your fuel - it's simple!

The last sentence was cut off my last post ... I meant to say if grandma didn't eat it years ago, why are you???
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have to say ...

** clipped**

And finally no matter what lifestyle you choose NOTHING beats eating REAL natural foods that comes from God --- not a lab, nota box, not a pill or powder! If my grandmama di

Ditto to everything you said--thoughtful and well-considered post.

Might I add--it would be helpful if people who say they always gain when going back to a *normal* diet, would indicate what is normal for them. To me, normal does not include sweetened beverages (soda, juice, etc), fast food, chips, packaged cookies, cakes, bars, snacks, etc.; however, I know that for many people eating food that comes out of a box is a way of life. Maybe there's something wrong with the old normal?

I'll state for the record that I've adopted (as closely as possible) a way of eating that excludes grains, restrict dairy and sugar/sweeteners (what is referred to as paleo/primal) and while I record what I eat on MFP, I'm not concerned about calories. My carbohydrates come from low/no-starch vegetables and fruit (as does the fiber), fat from vegetables (i.e., avocado, coconut, etc, more fiber) and lean meat, and protein from meat/poultry/fish. Unless you use protein supplements (exist only to make money for the manufacturer IMO), it's almost impossible to overload your body with protein.

There are no essential amino acids in grains that you cannot get from eating like this--grains are not necessary to survive or thrive. I stopped drinking milk 30 years ago when I started running and experienced intestinal cramps--it was suggested to me that dairy was a common cause of *runner's trots* and sure enough the discomfort ended when I removed milk from my diet; I still eat greek yogurt a couple times a week, and occasionally cheese--it's my indulgence. Calcium is leached from the body (read: bones & teeth) in the process of metabolizing the excessive carbohydrates modern society consumes--reduce those and you get the calcium you need from vegetables, nuts, etc.
  • heniko
    Options
    Zeromilediet - LOL ditto to everything you said also! You seem to be eating much like me. You are always welcome on the Primal/Paleo group. :)

Zero mile diet, interesting name! I *try my best* do the 100mile diet - your name makes me think you may be doing the same?!

For those that don't know the 100mile diet isn't a diet at all persay but a commitement to eating, buying and supporting locally grown foods that are seasonal, fresh, hormone and not genetically modified. Anyone interested for more read here: http://100milediet.org/why-eat-local
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    AHHHHH, never mind. :) Stop, step away from the computer,,,,,, ARRGGHHH I can't ignorance is rampant on this thread,,,,,, no, no, I can’t do it, the mods have warned me already to be nice,,,,,, “argh hands on ears talking in weird devilish voice” But I can’t stand it, they must be told,,,,,, no don’t do it, it’s not worth it,,,,,, I must, I must,,,,, no don’t they will burn you at the stake,,,,,,, b,b,b,but their ignorant words are harmful to those wanting true knowledge,,,,,,,, “breaths deeply” ok I will bow out of this one, this time.

oh, freerange, I love you... a lot of the posts on this thread have had me beating my head against my desk... (and the ones that made me smile and stop banging my head on the desk- you know who you are :love: )

I eat primal. I love it. But to each his own. But guess what- low-carb lifestyles are totally maintainable if you CHOOSE to stay on them. And my kidneys are not exploding, I'm not in danger of a heart attack or stroke- so stop hatin', fools!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are confusing ketosis wtih ketoacidosis?? Furthermore, although I have never tried Atkins, I think its a tad misleading to claim that once you stop Atkins you will gain all the weight back. Well obviously, if you stop ANY diet and start eating crap again (ie processed carbs), you will gain weight back. That has nothing to do with the diet but more to do with what you eat and don't eat. Not that I am advocating Atkins...I'm just saying you can't fault Atkins for people putting weight back on as a result of their choices in eating.

Ahh yes! Common sense! Thank you! :)
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options

and i don't believe i was talking to you when I was encourageing freerange to state his opinion. I don't call people ignorant. I call the comments ignorant. and people coming to a topic that is asking for advice on low carb diet and stating that she will die of a stroke and will go into renal failure is ignorant b/c they don't understand the diet. You don't have to agree with it, share your experiences, that's fine. not everyone reacts the same to eating on a low-carb lifestyle. so i'm not asking everyone to eat this way b/c i know it's not for everyone. but what i am asking is for people that do eat this way get a chance to do so in peace!!! and to be able to discuss it in public forums without people putting them down for it. and for people like you to stop following us low-carbers around just looking for a chance to start some drama. we are just trying to help people that are asking for it. we are not going to such topic threads as "high carb diets" and telling them how wrong they are! We are replying to low-carb topic threads to provide them with the knowledge we have on the subject, so get over yourself!!!

Right on, Kim!
  • writtenINthestars
    Options

and i don't believe i was talking to you when I was encourageing freerange to state his opinion. I don't call people ignorant. I call the comments ignorant. and people coming to a topic that is asking for advice on low carb diet and stating that she will die of a stroke and will go into renal failure is ignorant b/c they don't understand the diet. You don't have to agree with it, share your experiences, that's fine. not everyone reacts the same to eating on a low-carb lifestyle. so i'm not asking everyone to eat this way b/c i know it's not for everyone. but what i am asking is for people that do eat this way get a chance to do so in peace!!! and to be able to discuss it in public forums without people putting them down for it. and for people like you to stop following us low-carbers around just looking for a chance to start some drama. we are just trying to help people that are asking for it. we are not going to such topic threads as "high carb diets" and telling them how wrong they are! We are replying to low-carb topic threads to provide them with the knowledge we have on the subject, so get over yourself!!!

Right on, Kim!

DITTO

I've tried every diet out there....and you know what>? I have cheated on every single one....with counting calories I still get away with unhealthy crap in my diet...but when I started doing Paleo/Blueprint whatever, I could just eat things and be happy with it. I haven't cut out all my dairy but when I do it's for my own reasons, not because a book told me so. I eat a lot less breads and processed grains because I have food allergies to certain things but still enjoy some brown rice now and then. There are all sorts of reasons for someone to want to try a low carb diet and it would just be nice if the people who don't follow it would step out of the way and let the people who have years of experience give some advice to HELP the newcomer...not to derail them.
  • heniko
    Options
    Love your avatar Leslie! :)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    You know what I find cool, every time one of these threads start and the haters come out of their hole, I get so many friend request. There are a lot of people out there starting to open their eyes, ears and minds; they are starting to think for themselves. The old SAD (standard American Diet) has let them down, and they are finding REAL answers in, low carb, clean, Paleo/Primal, lifestyles (diets).

I understand one diet doesn’t fit everybody, BUT this lifestyle will fit most anyone willing to give it a real shot. Unless you have an underlying disease (probably caused by SAD) there is nothing about this diet (lifestyle) that is unhealthy, or unsustainable. In fact this diet IMO, has the best chance of turning your health around, but please consult a doctor if you do have health problems. I will say this, if your only concern is to lose weight and you are so addicted to SAD that you are unwilling to give it up, PLEASE DO NOT ATEMPT low carb or Paleo, you are better off counting calories for the rest of your life. If however you are more concerned with HEALTH, and are willing to stop eating things that make you sick, this is IMO the best option. SAD and the FDA’s food pyramid are not compatible with optimal health, just open your eyes and look around you.
  • writtenINthestars
    Options
    haha, thanks! I have it on my computer screen at work also and it just makes me laugh....and remind me to go walk at lunch ;)
  • heniko
    Options
    You know what I find cool, every time one of these threads start and the haters come out of their hole, I get so many friend request. There are a lot of people out there starting to open their eyes, ears and minds; they are starting to think for themselves. The old SAD (standard American Diet) has let them down, and they are finding REAL answers in, low carb, clean, Paleo/Primal, lifestyles (diets).

I understand one diet doesn’t fit everybody, BUT this lifestyle will fit most anyone willing to give it a real shot. Unless you have an underlying disease (probably caused by SAD) there is nothing about this diet (lifestyle) that is unhealthy, or unsustainable. In fact this diet IMO, has the best chance of turning your health around, but please consult a doctor if you do have health problems. I will say this, if your only concern is to lose weight and you are so addicted to SAD that you are unwilling to give it up, PLEASE DO NOT ATEMPT low carb or Paleo, you are better off counting calories for the rest of your life. If however you are more concerned with HEALTH, and are willing to stop eating things that make you sick, this is IMO the best option. SAD and the FDA’s food pyramid are not compatible with optimal health, just open your eyes and look around you.

thumbs up freerange!

I noticed all he friend requests too!
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options

If people in the US followed a diet based on smaller portion sizes and healthier choices (AKA not fast food) we would be much healthier. I do not think one needs to follow the diet the works for YOU to be healthy. Plenty of countries do not have the obesity problem that we have and do not eat following your guidlines. Hell, the french diet is all about breads and cheeses and wines. Yet they are not fat. It has more to do with the American lifestyle, not the reccomended diet. But I guess my eyes are closed.

ETA: There is a lot of judging going on in this post, and a lot of back patting for those doing the judging on both sides of this argument. If a diet works for you, great. It is AWESOME that you found something that you can live with. But just because it works for you does NOT mean it is the right choice for everyone, and it does not mean that you should look down on other diets/lifestyles.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    If people in the US followed a diet based on smaller portion sizes and healthier choices (AKA not fast food) we would be much healthier.

So true, but would they be in optimal health?
    I do not think one needs to follow the diet the works for YOU to be healthy.

The reason I worte,,,,,,,,,,, you did read my whole post didn't you?
    Plenty of countries do not have the obesity problem that we have and do not eat following your guidlines. Hell, the french diet is all about breads and cheeses and wines.

I think (know) your assement is a bit off with the French.
    But I guess my eyes are closed.

you said it not me
  • pittielover23
    Options
    If people in the US followed a diet based on smaller portion sizes and healthier choices (AKA not fast food) we would be much healthier.

So true, but would they be in optimal health?

Plenty of countries do not have the obesity problem that we have and do not eat following your guidlines. Hell, the french diet is all about breads and cheeses and wines.

I think (know) your assement is a bit off with the French.
    But I guess my eyes are closed.

you said it not me
    OK, your right. I didn't realize you knew everything, including what is best for everyone. My assessmet of the French is not off, in fact, that applies to most European countries. They certainly do not all eat your diet, and their life expectancies are much longer than ours in the US., which would make me believe they are in pretty dang good health. Of course there are many factors beyond eating that go into it, but the way the view food, eating and portion size is a huge part of it.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_lif_exp_at_bir_tot_pop-life-expectancy-birth-total-population
  • pittielover23
    Options

And yes, I did. I read this part : "I understand one diet doesn’t fit everybody, BUT this lifestyle will fit most anyone willing to give it a real shot."
  • heniko
    Options

If people in the US followed a diet based on smaller portion sizes and healthier choices (AKA not fast food) we would be much healthier. I do not think one needs to follow the diet the works for YOU to be healthy. Plenty of countries do not have the obesity problem that we have and do not eat following your guidlines. Hell, the french diet is all about breads and cheeses and wines. Yet they are not fat. It has more to do with the American lifestyle, not the reccomended diet. But I guess my eyes are closed.

ETA: There is a lot of judging going on in this post, and a lot of back patting for those doing the judging on both sides of this argument. If a diet works for you, great. It is AWESOME that you found something that you can live with. But just because it works for you does NOT mean it is the right choice for everyone, and it does not mean that you should look down on other diets/lifestyles.

LOL your post makes me laugh! I'm French. And living in France in this so called healthy French lifestyle. Yet I'm FAT! And most of the people here have major ED like Anorexia. While there are some diets craze here now the main diet method is starvation!

And the point that while the traditional French diet is rich in fat and moderate grains it is NOT rich in sugar. Sugar and HFCS has made people fat -- not the fat! And the grains well depending on how you look at it - it is not easily digested in the human body. And isn't a food(s) that offers effective and efficient digestion and nutrient absorption in the body.

And while I can say if people did move enough, stop eating poison like processed food ... and were eating in moderation the proper portions yes maybe it would work as a startig point for most everyone ... to get the motivation to live a healthy lifestyle ... but some people like obese people, diabetics who have insulin resistenceto name a few this would not be enough of a change.

So again, I see no point to post negative responds to low carb lifestyle unless you yourself are a doctor, scientist, read the book(s) and tried them out. I know years it happened, everyone hating on vegetarians and vegans ... but nowadays every second person is one ... so everyone should think along these lines -- LOW CARB ISN'T A DIET BUT A LIFESTYLE!

And as I mentioned several times on the thread, as many others have too - one size doesn't fit all ...

But that was directed to the haters not you Pittielover as I see you are just asking ...
  • pittielover23
    Options

LOL your post makes me laugh! I'm French. And living in France in this so called healthy French lifestyle. Yet I'm FAT! And most of the people here have major ED like Anorexia. While there are some diets craze here now the main diet method is starvation!

And the point that while the traditional French diet is rich in fat and moderate grains it is NOT rich in sugar. Desserts here are not eaten daily - fruit is favoured.

And while I can say if people did move enough, stop eating poison like processed food ... and were eating in moderation the proper portions yes maybe it would work as a startig point for most everyone ... to get the motivation to live a healthy lifestyle ... but some people like obese people, diabetics who have insulin resistenceto name a few this would not be enough of a change.

So again, I see no point to post negative responds to low carb lifestyle unless you yourself are a doctor, scientist, read the book(s) and tried them out. I know years it happened, everyone hating on vegetarians and vegans ... but nowadays every second person is one ... so everyone should think along these lines -- LOW CARB ISN'T A DIET BUT A LIFESTYLE!

But that was directed to the haters not you Pittielover as I see you are just asking ...
    Dude. I am not arguing that this works for people. If it works for you, awesome. And no country has 100% of a healthy population. I was making a point that it is the American lifestyle of fast, processed foods that is the issue, not carbs themselves.

But it appears taht I am talking to myself.
  • heniko
    Options
    In my last sentence I mentioned I wasn't referring to you in a negative way but replying to the French diet which made me laugh. If my comment came across negative -it wasn't meant to so I apologize.
  • pittielover23
    Options
    In my last sentence I mentioned I wasn't referring to you in a negative way but replying to the French diet which made me laugh. If my comment came across negative -it wasn't meant to so I apologize.
    Thank you. I just get sick of the holier than thou attitudes some people have about their diet. I just see it as finding something that works as a lifestyle for you. We are all different, and therefor have different needs. If you find a lifestyle that works for you, that is amazing! But to say that people that choose to follow a different path are basically ignorant just rubs me wrong. Obviously LOL (And that goes both ways in this discussion)

Obvisouly if someone is donig something totally unheatlhy to their bodies that could cause them damage, that is a different story.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I just get sick of the holier than thou attitudes some people have about their diet. I just see it as finding something that works as a lifestyle for you. We are all different, and therefor have different needs. If you find a lifestyle that works for you, that is amazing! But to say that people that choose to follow a different path are basically ignorant just rubs me wrong. Obviously LOL (And that goes both ways in this discussion)

Obvisouly if someone is donig something totally unheatlhy to their bodies that could cause them damage, that is a different story.

People eating junk food because it is in their calorie range is doing something unhealthy and damaging to their body.

I don't get where people that are focusing on whole and natural foods are gving off this holier than thou attitude???? It is words on a computer screen. I don't get any emotion from the computer screen.

I believe the emotions mostly come from a place where it sticks with the person that is reading it and some how becomes offended. **merely my opinion*** I have done it in the past myself, I have since gotten a grip because there is no emotion there in reality.

I tried to stay off this forum because of the ignorant comments, but I can't sit back anymore and say nothing.

All of the demeaning posts in regards to the Atkisn Lifestyle is due to unedcation about the plan and going off of something they heard...........by definition that is ignorance, whether it be the person or the comment, it still goes back to the person.

There is nothing about the Atkins plan that is unhealthy. The facts, studies and the peeople that have successfully gotten their health back are there.

I challenge every single person that has something negative to say about the Atkins plan to sign up for a website called low carb friends and check out the success stories and educate yourself about it, even if you would never embark on the journey.

Just to educate yourself and arm yuorself with a bit more knowledge. Learn something new today!!!! I challenge you!!!

To those of you that did the Induction phase and never moved on to the other phases - well you didn't do the Atkins plan. There are 4 phases to that plan.......

To the person that said you can't have bread on Atkins - your wrong. Plain and simple.

It is a temporary removal of bread until you add back in all of your veggie carbs, fruit carbs, dairy, beans, legumes, lentils, starchier vegetables and then you add in grains. They are added back in last because they are highest on the glycemic index..............

Here is a post I made recently outlining all 4 phases of the Atkins plan. I thought it would dispell a lot of the myths, but I was so wrong after reading these posts here. <<<<SMH>>>

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/229665-rant-this-is-what-the-atkins-plan-is-truly-about?hl=atkins+rant