Considering Atkins

Options

Replies

• BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    AHHHHH, never mind. :) Stop, step away from the computer,,,,,, ARRGGHHH I can't ignorance is rampant on this thread,,,,,, no, no, I can’t do it, the mods have warned me already to be nice,,,,,, “argh hands on ears talking in weird devilish voice” But I can’t stand it, they must be told,,,,,, no don’t do it, it’s not worth it,,,,,, I must, I must,,,,, no don’t they will burn you at the stake,,,,,,, b,b,b,but their ignorant words are harmful to those wanting true knowledge,,,,,,,, “breaths deeply” ok I will bow out of this one, this time.

lol....everyone has a right to voice their opinion!! obviously! if the "haters' can come and "hate" on a diet they know nothing about, then we can voice our opinions as well. especially when we are actually giving the OP the support she was asking for. Not just telling her she's doing it all wrong.

Like you imply, it doesn't hurt for people to hear both sides. No need to call people who don't agree with you a hater and ignorant.

Not calling people that don't agree with me anything,,,,, calling ignorant comments what they are.

I don't believe I was talking to you.

LOL, nanny, manny, boo, boo. Really? Whom were you talking to? I was talking to you.

It isn't difficult. I was talking to the person I replied to.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    AHHHHH, never mind. :) Stop, step away from the computer,,,,,, ARRGGHHH I can't ignorance is rampant on this thread,,,,,, no, no, I can’t do it, the mods have warned me already to be nice,,,,,, “argh hands on ears talking in weird devilish voice” But I can’t stand it, they must be told,,,,,, no don’t do it, it’s not worth it,,,,,, I must, I must,,,,, no don’t they will burn you at the stake,,,,,,, b,b,b,but their ignorant words are harmful to those wanting true knowledge,,,,,,,, “breaths deeply” ok I will bow out of this one, this time.

lol....everyone has a right to voice their opinion!! obviously! if the "haters' can come and "hate" on a diet they know nothing about, then we can voice our opinions as well. especially when we are actually giving the OP the support she was asking for. Not just telling her she's doing it all wrong.

Like you imply, it doesn't hurt for people to hear both sides. No need to call people who don't agree with you a hater and ignorant.

Not calling people that don't agree with me anything,,,,, calling ignorant comments what they are.

and i don't believe i was talking to you when I was encourageing freerange to state his opinion. I don't call people ignorant. I call the comments ignorant. and people coming to a topic that is asking for advice on low carb diet and stating that she will die of a stroke and will go into renal failure is ignorant b/c they don't understand the diet. You don't have to agree with it, share your experiences, that's fine. not everyone reacts the same to eating on a low-carb lifestyle. so i'm not asking everyone to eat this way b/c i know it's not for everyone. but what i am asking is for people that do eat this way get a chance to do so in peace!!! and to be able to discuss it in public forums without people putting them down for it. and for people like you to stop following us low-carbers around just looking for a chance to start some drama. we are just trying to help people that are asking for it. we are not going to such topic threads as "high carb diets" and telling them how wrong they are! We are replying to low-carb topic threads to provide them with the knowledge we have on the subject, so get over yourself!!!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The definition of ignorant is lacking in knowledge, or awareness. So if someone says that the Atkins diet is about eating all the meat and cheese they want (which will lead to strokes), that is being ignorant. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just saying, "If you don't know what you're talking about, then you shouldn't be posting inciteful and inflammatory remarks which are based out of ignorance of the subject."

And yes, I have (prob. 10 yrs ago) done the Atkins diet, but I never made it to Phase 2. Phase 1 was too hard for me to follow. Primal is easier for me. But at least I have DONE it, and RESEARCHED it, so I know what the complete diet entails, which, by the end, you are back to incorporating carbs, altho to a lesser degree than you were initially.

Certaintly, some folks do better with carbs than others. I have one good MFP friend, who has lost about 100 lbs, and eats about 3x the carbs that I do. But her diet is CLEAN. And I mean CLEAN. She eats her steel cut oats, whole grain this and that, and her bloodwork is super, and she is lean, and doing great. I wish I could eat carbs like that!

But, like some have posters have said, some people can process carbs better than others. I have found that I get bloated and gain weight easily, if I eat carbs, even if my diet is very clean. Ultimately, you have to just figure out what works best for your body. That said, it is really great to get educated on what/how/why food works in us like it does. I've found the people here very enlightening. I only started my primal journey about 2 mos ago, b/c of what I discovered here!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

It isn't difficult. I was talking to the person I replied to.

Next time you're not talking to me delete my quote from your reply, it's easy even I did it on this reply. ;)
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options

and i don't believe i was talking to you when I was encourageing freerange to state his opinion. I don't call people ignorant. I call the comments ignorant. and people coming to a topic that is asking for advice on low carb diet and stating that she will die of a stroke and will go into renal failure is ignorant b/c they don't understand the diet. You don't have to agree with it, share your experiences, that's fine. not everyone reacts the same to eating on a low-carb lifestyle. so i'm not asking everyone to eat this way b/c i know it's not for everyone. but what i am asking is for people that do eat this way get a chance to do so in peace!!! and to be able to discuss it in public forums without people putting them down for it. and for people like you to stop following us low-carbers around just looking for a chance to start some drama. we are just trying to help people that are asking for it. we are not going to such topic threads as "high carb diets" and telling them how wrong they are! We are replying to low-carb topic threads to provide them with the knowledge we have on the subject, so get over yourself!!!

Wait, where I have ever followed anyone around looking to start drama? I have pointed out once when a paleo board person was trolling a vegan board, but I have no problem with the low carb lifestyle. I just like people to get a chance to present the facts without ad hominem attacks being flung about by supporters of one side or the other.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Frankly, the only nutrition question we really need to ask ourselves is: how should I eat in order to optimize MY function. For example, I don’t care how “healthy” you might think vegetarianism is, if you are fatigued and storing tons of excess body fat while eating vegetarian, clearly it’s not the right type of diet for you. On the flip side, to all those individuals who brag that they never eat any vegetables but who walk around with a 30 lbs spare-tire sitting around their midsections or a lovely set of scars from a recent quadruple bypass surgery… guess what, your diets suck too. There is no “one size fits all”, best diet.

However there are several studies supporting low carb diet versus low fat & Mediterranean diet. HDL levels were best in the low carber with a stellar result from the med diet. Low Carbers also saw best triglyceride results. What is even more important, carbohydrate reduction shows to dramatically improve your cardiovascular risk profile. So you got to ask the question: if lower carbohydrate diets are more effective for weight loss and are good for your heart, do our supposed health organizations (American Heart Association) really know what they are talking about?

Just a thought…
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Why try a gimmick when you can eat a balanced diet and enjoy all foods but just do so in moderation? Do you really think that you can follow Atkins for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE? Once you come off Atkins and start eating "normal" your body will put the weight back on. The only way to really control weight is to eat a balanced diet, watch your caloric intake and exercise. Everyone wants the secret to being "thin and healthy". Well, there it is.

when you stop watching your caloric intake, you'll gain weight too. simple.
    also it's clear to me that many of the "don't do it it's unhealthy, unsustainable, whatever" crowd either have done a few weeks of induction and then gave up, or only know about atkins through hearsay.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is right up my alley!

I happen to have kidney problems and eat this way. I make sure to drink an amount of water each day that is tied to my weight (so yours would be different) but suffice to say it is a lot. In addition I have lemon in one glass (usually the first in the morning) which aids in my kidney function. In healthy individuals with no risk factors or family history of kidney disease, low-carbohydrate diets such as the Atkins Diet are unlikely to cause kidney problems. However, the Atkins website advises people with pre-existing kidney disease not to use the Atkins Diet because of the risk of further damaging the kidneys. If this is of concern to you, a doctor can test your kidney function before you start the Atkins Diet. You may also want to have your doctor monitor kidney function on a regular basis while you are on the diet.

I want to leave you with one final thing, this way of eating (Atkins, primal, et al) is a lifestyle, not a diet. I consume clean whole food and in return my body is efficient and strong.

Best of luck to you as decide what is right for you.
  • lodro
    Options
    It really depends on how much you like carbs to whether you will be able to stick to the diet or not. Also it depends on how you body reacts to the low carb diet, some do great on it and others will pass out from a week with no carbs. Depends on the person :)

Most people who are insulin resistant and benefit most by a carbohydrate restricted diet very, very much like carbs: you could say they are addicted to them.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Lifestyle or diet, you guys are spending way too much time quibbling over semantics than actually discussing anything meaningful. Whether you call it a 'lifestyle change' or a 'diet'...it just doesnt matter . You can call it "ketchup" or you can call it 'thin tomato paste with some sugar and salt', it's still going to taste the same. Whatever.

Now that said: Atkins may be the best thing SINCE sliced bread, but it doesnt let you eat any bread. Deal-breaker. That's all it took for me to say no. I loooovvveee my carbs. I think I'd have a better chance of making a "lifestyle change/diet" stick as a vegan than an Atkins. No way in hell I'd ever be able to succeed long term on a diet that restrictive. So whether it's healthy or not, whether it would work for you or would not....doesnt matter to me, because I'll never stay on it anyway.

Just sayin', to each his own. Do what you think will work for you, as nobody knows you better than you know yourself. I always get a kick out of people who get so upset by others 'hating' on their _insert diet of choice here_. Why such a personal attachment to it? I dont get it. You would think someone just shot their dog(s) or something.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you read the book and FOLLOW it. Too many people stop at the induction phase and then wonder what went wrong. Check out Paleo/Primal it's a lot like Atkins but IMO better.

I 2nd reading the book and following it like it was meant to be followed. I seem to lose quicker on Atkins, but its to hard for me to keep up with family, work and lack of money (I don't know about the rest of you but high protein foods seem to be expensive).

You can always give it a try. Or if you don't want to go to hard core, you could always just slowly try to cut down on your carbs. Like try to keep it under 100 a day.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Lifestyle or diet, you guys are spending way too much time quibbling over semantics than actually discussing anything meaningful. Whether you call it a 'lifestyle change' or a 'diet'...it just doesnt matter . You can call it "ketchup" or you can call it 'thin tomato paste with some sugar and salt', it's still going to taste the same. Whatever.

Now that said: Atkins may be the best thing SINCE sliced bread, but it doesnt let you eat any bread. Deal-breaker. That's all it took for me to say no. I loooovvveee my carbs. I think I'd have a better chance of making a "lifestyle change/diet" stick as a vegan than an Atkins. No way in hell I'd ever be able to succeed long term on a diet that restrictive. So whether it's healthy or not, whether it would work for you or would not....doesnt matter to me, because I'll never stay on it anyway.

Just sayin', to each his own. Do what you think will work for you, as nobody knows you better than you know yourself. I always get a kick out of people who get so upset by others 'hating' on their _insert diet of choice here_. Why such a personal attachment to it? I dont get it. You would think someone just shot their dog(s) or something.

Well said and agreed, all except for that last part. If you signed on mfp every single day and every single post you made had people bashing you, if every single topic that was anything about your lifestyle of choice had people putting it down, don't you think you would get a little tired of it??? So this is us getting tired of it. We respect other people's choices, so all we're asking is to respect our's. End of Story. I can't stand to see genuine people ask genuine questions about low carb diets, and when we try to help them, the thread turns into another argument about what is soooo wrong with eating this way. We get tired of having to defend ourselves so much. It is def getting old. Okay, so there are a ton of different ways of eating, just b/c someone eats differently than you doesn't make it wrong. Just like you said.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Well said and agreed, all except for that last part. If you signed on mfp every single day and every single post you made had people bashing you, if every single topic that was anything about your lifestyle of choice had people putting it down, don't you think you would get a little tired of it???

That's the thing, they arent bashing YOU. They are bashing YOUR DIET. Not the same thing. You are just interpreting it way too personally (which is what I was referring to when I mentioned the shooting your dog thing). Though I would imagine there are many who say "YOUR DIET SUCKS AND YOU ARE A MORON FOR USING IT!!!!!"....caps lock is cruise control for cool you know, but, you know...those people make me laugh too; I'm talking about them as well.

Now that said, would I get tired of it? Not really no, I dont care at all what people think about my diet .... or lifestyle change, whatever you want to call it. What I care about is whether or not it works, and it's either going to work (or not work) regardless of what you think of it.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Wait. Before everyone derails into a "low carb is horrible" trainwreck, keep this in mind: "YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO EATING JUNK AND KEEP RESULTS"

This applies to every single one of you reading this.

YES YOU. You define what is junk in your lifestyle. It's that food that causes you to put on weight once again. That crap you need to keep out of the cupboards.

You cannot eat the "MFP" way of 55% carboydrate and controlled portions, go binge on cake for a week, and expect to lose weight. Guess what, that ain't gonna fly. Same as someone eating an Atkins lifestyle needs to understand how and when to increase carbohydrate consumption in the form of healthy carbohydrate. That level that they need to consume is dependent upon them. They will find out how much to conume to continue loss and eventually to maintain.

YOU follow what works for you. Many are on a controlled carboydrate diet (myself included) and it has worked for us and continues to work. I have come to adapt to the reality that I cannot cheat all the time and eat cakes, beer, and breads and high carbo-load foods or I will go back to being the fat, unhappy sugar addict I was 7 years ago.

Ain't no magic solution.

And as for renal failure during low carbohydrate, could you back up your source please ?

AGREED. (P.S. love your name)

I'm also thinking of taking a stab at Atkins. It's not (and never was, really) that "all cheese and meat" diet everyone thinks it is. If you know how to eat healthily and you FOLLOW the diet, the WHOLE DIET, there's no reason for you to have so many health problems after doing the Atkins diet.
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ignoring is best.

http://xkcd.com/386/
  • MissKim
    Options
    Ignoring is best.

http://xkcd.com/386/

lol, love it
  • lodro
    Options

I know. It's totally like loving carbs.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have to say ...

- I agree with Freerange if you want to follow Atkins or any diet, you need to take the time to read and clearly understand how it works and also WHY. And I agree a Primal lifestyle NOT diet is IMHO better for me -- but may not be for others!

- Doing any diet that requires you to change your habits is only sustainable if you choose to change your habits for life, not for the duration of the diet and/or weight loss. If you lose, then go back to eating crap of course LOGIC PEOPLE the weight will come back!

- Before you choose a low carb lifestyle be sure that you want to sustain it for a lifestyle!! If not, don't even bother starting it! Barney explained this well ... it applys to any diet or lifestyle change! You can't stop eating BigMacs lose the weight, then go back to eating BigMacs then except the weight to not come back!

- Show me the studies, let me talk to the doctors who say low carb hurts the kidneys ... I have only read opinions and editorials.

- Blisterpeanuts - how are you keeping a low carb and low fat diet? Eating high protein?

- Fruits, seeds and vegetables have fiber in them naturally, so if you eat these then no constipation. There are other ways to get fiber and also to not have constipation then eating bread or pasta.

- I have read so many myths on ketosis. Ketosis is a normal physiological state caused by very normal and healthy body functions. Ketosis allows the body to function efficiently and live off of stored body fat when necessaryYour body is in ketosis every night .. hence the morning breathe. I think many people confuse ketosis with ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition commonly associated with Type 1 diabetes and insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetes

- I agree with every word you said MissKim

- Carly - restrictions are only put on yourself by yourself. If you miss bread or cake, you can easily make them with non-grain ingredients like coconut flour or almond flour. And with the Internet you can find so many methods.

- I don't understand what's not balanced about not eating sugar and wheat? Obviously people won't die without them ... so?

- And I wonder why people keep saying in one sentence 'It's not health' 'Don't do it' .. but give no proof!

-JPod gimmick? Would you tell a vegan or vegetarian since they stop eating meat their way of life is a gimmick? Many people out there, including me stop eating grains not for the simple reason of losing weight, not as a diet, but a life change after a lifetime of feeling sick and being sick. It's sustainable if you choose to make it so!

- For the woman who got a kidney infection I feel sorry for you, but the link between the Atkins diet and kidney stones has not been verified, nor has it been invalidated, but experts have raised the point that the effects of no or low-carb diets can have some seriously negative effects on the body. People on the Atkins diet usually develop ketones, which in turn raises the acid levels in the blood, as well as an increased chance of high levels of calcium in their urine.

If you do had a pre-existing condition, then it would be impossible to avoid kidney stones when using the Atkins diet, hnce the reason you got it. Hence the reason they tell you to consult a doctor before making any dietary changes/going on a new diet.

And what are the major factors for people to get kidney infections or stones? -- Not drinking enough water, drinking soda, high sugar intake, being sedentary, consuming soy, having high blood pressure, and too much caffeine. eating more protein only would attribute if you had already preexisting issues.

- The video link Aurelina posted I watched long ago - very informative and not bias at all -- WATCH IT!

- dgfurman - ditto ditto ditto very well said dear!

- What are the most allergenic foods on the planet? wheat, dairy, soy, lab made faux food additvies hidden in food allergens , nuts, shellfish and fish. I never heard of a vegetable or legged animal being an allergen. So i don't get the problems with omitting one or more of these allergens from your daily life.

- And as Pam said no one diet or lifestyle is one size fits all. each one us can and should try different lifestyle (diets) before judging them ... I ate mostly bread and pasta all my life, rarely meat -- it was a horrible hungry starved life -- now I'm eating the way my body wants me to eat and I have never felt better!

And finally no matter what lifestyle you choose NOTHING beats eating REAL natural foods that comes from God --- not a lab, nota box, not a pill or powder! If my grandmama di
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    Wait. Before everyone derails into a "low carb is horrible" trainwreck, keep this in mind: "YOU CAN'T GO BACK TO EATING JUNK AND KEEP RESULTS"

This applies to every single one of you reading this.

YES YOU. You define what is junk in your lifestyle. It's that food that causes you to put on weight once again. That crap you need to keep out of the cupboards.

You cannot eat the "MFP" way of 55% carboydrate and controlled portions, go binge on cake for a week, and expect to lose weight. Guess what, that ain't gonna fly. Same as someone eating an Atkins lifestyle needs to understand how and when to increase carbohydrate consumption in the form of healthy carbohydrate. That level that they need to consume is dependent upon them. They will find out how much to conume to continue loss and eventually to maintain.

YOU follow what works for you. Many are on a controlled carboydrate diet (myself included) and it has worked for us and continues to work. I have come to adapt to the reality that I cannot cheat all the time and eat cakes, beer, and breads and high carbo-load foods or I will go back to being the fat, unhappy sugar addict I was 7 years ago.

Ain't no magic solution.

And as for renal failure during low carbohydrate, could you back up your source please ?

I love this comment and totally agree!! If you wanna try a different diet for a bit of variety go for it and let us know how you got on as i'm sure A LOT of us are curious! You may find it useful to also look at the consequences of restricting food groups too though as a means of educating yourself. Carbs are the bodies main energy source so if you cut them out and your exercising, what is your body going to use?? I would love to try it but unfortunately I love potatoes, weetbix and rice too much!

Do whatever you want hun just make sure your happy and healthy when you do it. We're only experts in our own lives.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of another board where there is a large atkins following and a large number of atkins maintainers. If you lose weight with ANY and ALL methods and go back to eating how you used to you will gain the weight back.

The biggest success story on the other board is several years into maintaining, his cholesterol levels/bp/sugar etc are all in a very healthy range, something they were far from before. He eats lean meat and healthy fats...the old image of greasy fry ups is a misconception.

That said its not for me, I accidentally hit ketosis and hated the taste in my mouth...no way I could live with it...and that is what you have to do if you choose the atkins way, its a way of eating for life, not just for weight loss.

Google the different phases, see what you can expect...but nothing is written in stone as everyone has different carb tolerances. I hit ketosis after 4 days of between 60 & 80g carbs but they all came from green veg, if there are any pasta, rice, bread or potato carbs my maximum is about 40g.