Considering Atkins

Options

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Ok, mellow a bit please. A couple of points.

1. This is a meta-analysis, I have done those, but there are limitations with this analysis. They are often done if there a mixed results in different studies. But the studies included in this analyses are all based on small and inconclusive studies and this is not much better. (putting 10 piles of crap together, just gives you a really big pile of crap). I think the researchers are overstating their findings, but they do raise the point that they do not understand what causes the heterogeneity in the studies included. That is key, I think, why do some people on certain diets restrictions do well and other ones not. But then you need a lot more data, on exercise, fiber intake, alcohol intake, smoking, etc. This can be done with large studies, but not studies with small sample sizes and this meta-analysis is based on this.
    2. There are a number of other articles showing that there is no difference, are showing increased health risk associated with low carb diets. That’s my main point, there is no consensus on this topic, and at best it is marginally better, and most likely it is no different than just calories in and out.
    3. Do note that this study compares low carb/high protein versus low fat diets. I think that focusing only on either low fat or low carb is not well supported. Calories in and calories out, bring you weight down into a healthy range is the key factor to decrease all kind of health issues. That's much more important, than how you actually do it. I think, we can all agree about this.

To conclude this, I think the end conclusion of the following paper says it best:

Busetto, Marangon & De Stefano. High-protein low-carbohydrate diets: what is the rationale? Diabetes Metabolism Research and Reviews (2011) 27: 230-232.

"In conclusion, all types of diets inducing an energy deficit may be effective for short-term weight loss, regardless of their composition. To increase the protein content of the diet and/or to reduce the carbohydrate load may produce both favourable and unfavourable metabolic effects in comparison with conventional low-fat diets. These differences are anyway small. Concerns about longterm safety do not suggest the promotion of high-protein low-fat diet as a component of a lifestyle modification programme, whereas safe low-fat diets have proven longterm benefits."

I take it that your last quote is from a study addressing the metabolism of diabetics? So that is probably what the "proven longterm benefits" refer to as well? Benefits for diabetics?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add I posted my 6 month results but also have shifted macro ratios around. Same caloric restriction overall but made up of different intake.

I found out, through trial and error, that for me (and perhaps me alone or perhaps others as well) going above about 30g non-vegetable carbs means I don't lose weight. Period. I can be at a 500 or 750 cal deficit each and every day throughout the week, but go above 30g carbs and poof, zero weight loss. I tested this for some time, and in fact taking my normal diet, subtracting 64 calories of fat/protein, and replacing whatever that was with a MGD64 (ultra-light beer) = 0 weight loss. I tried the same with Oreos (1 cookie is roughly 50 calories, 8 carbs). Both of these would bump me up from ~25 carbs daily to over 30, and both lead to 0 weight loss every time.

Again, that's just me. One instance out of billions.

No, your not one instance............many of us out here are just like you!! I have to be very strict for losing. Maintaining has now become easy and have learned how to balance the good and bad foods. 90% eat good, 10% lee way for bad when maintaining........

The longer I go the less I want any bad for you processed foods.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    HI! I have been doing Atkins since February 15 this year, and have never felt better! I've dropped 30 pounds, I'm never tired, I NEVER crave food, I'm never hungry! I only do intense excersize 2 days a week (Zumba), besides moderate housekeeping, and I'm still losing. I stay right around 20 Net carbs a day, mostly vegetables and salads. I eat meat, cheese, and healthy fats like avocados. I would encourage you to give Atkins/Low Carb or the Paleo diet a try (I've heard great things about Paleo!). Ultimately, each individual is different, and you'll figure out what works for you. But, the science surrounding/supporting Low Carb and a diet high in good fats is sound. It seems like a lot of programs that used to be "low-fat/low-calorie" (such as Weight Watchers) are coming around and realizing the science behind it works! Believe me, I've tried cutting calories and excercizing more, and I never lost any significant weight. And, I was hungry all the time, and miserable! Give it a try for at least 3 weeks, (Induction is 2 weeks). I promise you if you follow the diet correctly, you'll feel better after the first week!
  • Nenachaos
    Nenachaos Posts: 13
    Options
    My best advice is to buy a copy of "YOU! the owners manual" and follow the diet that it suggests . this book is amazing and the diet yeilds results. even the revised atkins can be dangerous for your kidneys heart and colon .If you want to use protein to help you burn fat or lose weight whatever try drinking whey protein shakes 3 to 4 times a day
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to buy a copy of "YOU! the owners manual" and follow the diet that it suggests . this book is amazing and the diet yeilds results. even the revised atkins can be dangerous for your kidneys heart and colon .If you want to use protein to help you burn fat or lose weight whatever try drinking whey protein shakes 3 to 4 times a day
    agreed
  • Grokette
    Options

There is nothing detrimental in regards to Atkins..........

What about meat and green leafy veggies is detrimental to your health in any way?????????????
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

can you back up your claims?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

can you back up your claims?

No they cannot, it's just gossip repeated so many times people believe it. Makes me sad.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Help me out here ... how is drinking faux protein (whey milkshakes) superior to having real food-based protein like turkey, chicken or beef? Also, please post your reference for the claim that protein (i.e., Atkins) is bad for your kidneys and heart and colon (presumably several studies?) Thanks.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Help me out here ... how is drinking faux protein (whey milkshakes) superior to having real food-based protein like turkey, chicken or beef? Also, please post your reference for the claim that protein (i.e., Atkins) is bad for your kidneys and heart and colon (presumably several studies?) Thanks.

While many advices given by Dr Oz I have seen are sound ones, the diet he recommends itself is a low fat one - so yes it goes along with the "curren" coventional wisdom of eat low or no fat ... but that doesn't mean it's sound or even healthy advice. Just one more way to sell books. And no way for sure any packet or shake or microwavable dish is going to equal the vast bounty of God's naturally created foods! No way! And for anyone who believes they do, well I'm sorry their just setting themselves up for who knows what kind of other issues down the line!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Good point, Heniko! It occurred to me before I even read or did Atkins, that there was a strong correlation since the 70's between the widespread use of processed/microwaved/preserved foods and the rise of obesity in this country. Conventional wisdom is not always correct...
  • Grokette
    Options

There are no sound studies that point to this. The studies actually show opposite of the healing effects of protein and the nutrients from the vegetables that a person begins eating while starting Atkins and then just adds more veggies, fruits, nuts and so on.

There are more and more studies showing the health improvements of a person eating the Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, Primal, etc way!!!
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

There are no sound studies that point to this. The studies actually show opposite of the healing effects of protein and the nutrients from the vegetables that a person begins eating while starting Atkins and then just adds more veggies, fruits, nuts and so on.

There are more and more studies showing the health improvements of a person eating the Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, Primal, etc way!!!

Ok grokette,

Since you are such a strong promoter of Atkins, Paleo, HVG, high saturated fat and cholesterol diet. What are your results so far? I have posted mine above just counting calories. We have been posting here about the same time. Are you making progress? And if so, are you doing better not counting calories?
  • BodyByBrusselSprouts
    BodyByBrusselSprouts Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Is this really what this has come to? "I've lost this much weight so my diet is better than yours" Jeez that is sad.

Dave
  • asilva3111
    asilva3111 Posts: 44
    Options
    Don't do it.

It's bad for your kidneys.

Don't hurt your organs.

No matter the topic you can ALWAYS find research to support it online. But, don't believe everything you read. It's a horrible diet and the minute you stop your body gains back much of the weight. Horrible.

If you notice, MFP lays out your calories and nutrition for each day. It's balanced.

Agreed! All the cholesterol addition to your body for what, a diet? And as soon as you stop it or you eat carbs your body balloons again.

Good luck!
  • asilva3111
    asilva3111 Posts: 44
    Options
    Don't do it.

It's bad for your kidneys.

Don't hurt your organs.

No matter the topic you can ALWAYS find research to support it online. But, don't believe everything you read. It's a horrible diet and the minute you stop your body gains back much of the weight. Horrible.

If you notice, MFP lays out your calories and nutrition for each day. It's balanced.

Agreed! All the cholesterol addition to your body for what, a diet? And as soon as you stop it or you eat carbs your body balloons again.

Good luck!
  • Grokette
    Options

Ok grokette,

Since you are such a strong promoter of Atkins, Paleo, HVG, high saturated fat and cholesterol diet. What are your results so far? I have posted mine above just counting calories. We have been posting here about the same time. Are you making progress? And if so, are you doing better not counting calories?

I have lost 37 pounds just since February 4, 2011 when I returned to being serious about my health and getting rid of the aches and pains. I have lost more inches, to the tune of 3 clothing sizes. I posted progress pics in my profile for the difference in my face, neck and body......

I also lost 100+ pounds in 2003 (about a 6 or 7 month time frame) and kept it off until 2008 when I had a car accident in which I am lucky to be here and functioning well.

I can't count calories and "eat in moderation" it causes me to gain weight.
  • Grokette
    Options

Ok grokette,

And, how about stop stalking me and putting me in the spotlight? Your seem to intentionally post in threads I post in, just to call me out.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Ok grokette,

Wow is about all I can say. For anyone else reading we are all at different stages in our health journey, Jkonps has already stated he is almost to the end of his weight loss goal, we would expect his numbers to be better than they were when he started. Putting someone that is still in the first stages of their journey on the spot is childish and proves nothing. Kind of a nanny, nanny, boo, boo thing we used to do as kids,,,,,, look at me I lost weight what have you done. GIVE ME A BREAK.

While I’m addressing Jkonps,,, how is the critique of the Duke study going?
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Agreed! All the cholesterol addition to your body for what, a diet?

I eat a dozen eggs and a pound of cheese a week. When I bulked a few months back, it was 36 eggs and 2lbs of cheese. My cholesterol very likely hasn't budged. I'm between healthcare insurance providers right now, but next Dr visit I will as always get full blood workup and I bet I'll be textbook perfect, just like I was last August in the middle of losing ~50lbs on Keto.
    And as soon as you stop it or you eat carbs your body balloons again.

Wait, so you're saying if I stop dieting I will gain weight? DUH. That can be said of ANY diet. That is why "diets" don't work - LIFESTYLE CHANGES work.