Replies

• Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Ok thank you!
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    WOW! I have to say this thread is crazy! I just wanted some advice and boy did I get it :)

So, if anyone wants to know my plan here it is....

I have decided to eat whole foods with the ocasional treat like icecream or a candy bar. I wouldn't say I am going Primal, but if you want to put a name to it I think that one would fit the best. I plan to eat veggies, protein, and fruit. I will probably eat some bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes but not often because I do not like the stuffed feeling I get afterwards. I CANNOT say no to chocolate forever, so it will be my little treat once in awhile. The same goes with Campfire Mochas from Caribou coffee (you do not want to know the nutritional info for that). I will still log my food, but I will eat til I am full and if that means more than 1200 calories a day then so be it. I will probably run or walk a mile or two a day and do a little strength training a few times a week.

Here is what I think a typical day would be like for me....

Breakfast:

2 boiled eggs
    1 cup of watermelon (my fave fruit) or 1/2 cup of berries
    maybe a serving of bacon??

lunch:
    salad with grilled chicken with (not sure what to do for dressing yet) topped with almonds and a boiled egg
    OR
    flounder filet with broccoli (my fave lunch ever!)

supper:
    pork, chicken, or fish with asaragas or broccoli

snacks:
    nuts, berries, and veggies

treat:
    skinny cow icecream or something like that

So, what do yall think? This is not set in stone I was just thinking this sonds like the kind of meals I like to eat.

*THOSE WHO ARE PRIMAL EATERS* Does this sound like a good way to eat for primal? Also, can you help me figure out a dressing that I can buy or make that would be good on salads that sticks to primal? I like ranch, italian, as well as dressings found at japanese steakhouses. I DO NOT like bluecheese or thousand island. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a healthy approach! I mostly just eat meat, eggs, fruit, and veggies myself- but I have chocolate several times a week. I buy organic dark chocolate (like 88% cocoa). Your overall menu plan looks good. Of course, indulging in "non-primal" treats is fine, but I would recommend steering away from major processed choices like Skinny Cow (lots of chemicals). And really, on a Primal or likewise eating plan dietary fat is not the enemy- so I would suggest when you want ice cream, find an all natural brand. (Look on the label- the fewer ingredients the better!) Or better yet- make your own! It can be really fun, and you can find recipes by googling :)

Hope this helps and good luck to you!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    WOW! I have to say this thread is crazy! I just wanted some advice and boy did I get it :)

I have decided to eat whole foods with the ocasional treat like icecream or a candy bar. I wouldn't say I am going Primal, but if you want to put a name to it I think that one would fit the best. I plan to eat veggies, protein, and fruit. I will probably eat some bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes but not often because I do not like the stuffed feeling I get afterwards. I CANNOT say no to chocolate forever, so it will be my little treat once in awhile. The same goes with Campfire Mochas from Caribou coffee (you do not want to know the nutritional info for that). I will still log my food, but I will eat til I am full and if that means more than 1200 calories a day then so be it. I will probably run or walk a mile or two a day and do a little strength training a few times a week.

Breakfast:

2 boiled eggs

lunch:
    salad with grilled chicken with (not sure what to do for dressing yet) topped with almonds and a boiled egg
    OR

supper:

snacks:

treat:

So, what do yall think? This is not set in stone I was just thinking this sonds like the kind of meals I like to eat.

*THOSE WHO ARE PRIMAL EATERS* Does this sound like a good way to eat for primal? Also, can you help me figure out a dressing that I can buy or make that would be good on salads that sticks to primal? I like ranch, italian, as well as dressings found at japanese steakhouses. I DO NOT like bluecheese or thousand island. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a healthy approach! I mostly just eat meat, eggs, fruit, and veggies myself- but I have chocolate several times a week. I buy organic dark chocolate (like 88% cocoa). Your overall menu plan looks good. Of course, indulging in "non-primal" treats is fine, but I would recommend steering away from major processed choices like Skinny Cow (lots of chemicals). And really, on a Primal or likewise eating plan dietary fat is not the enemy- so I would suggest when you want ice cream, find an all natural brand. (Look on the label- the fewer ingredients the better!) Or better yet- make your own! It can be really fun, and you can find recipes by googling :)

Hope this helps and good luck to you!

OK that makes sense. Thank you!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Follow whatever diet works for you. Change your lifestyle.

If you are going to try Atkins, follow the plan to a T!

If Atkins is not for you, move on but never give up! It's not that a plan fails, it's that a person fails to be able to follow a specific plan and THAT IS OK. Not every diet is meant for every single person....which is obvious from the different posts on this site.

But know that on the internet, opinions are like arseholes....everyones got one....but not all of them may apply to YOU. :flowerforyou:
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Follow whatever diet works for you. Change your lifestyle.

If you are going to try Atkins, follow the plan to a T!

If Atkins is not for you, move on but never give up! It's not that a plan fails, it's that a person fails to be able to follow a specific plan and THAT IS OK. Not every diet is meant for every single person....which is obvious from the different posts on this site.

But know that on the internet, opinions are like arseholes....everyones got one....but not all of them may apply to YOU. :flowerforyou:

Best and most polite and respectful post on here:)) Full of all the info you need:)) LOVE it!!
  • lil_missfit
    Options

Breakfast:

2 boiled eggs

lunch:
    OR

supper:

snacks:

treat:

Glad you were able to come to a conclusion that works for you:)) I think other than all the negativity that unfortunately came from this thread, both sides presented a good arguement (IMHO), and provided us information that allows all of us to be able to weigh the pros and cons to this lifestyle appraoch. Good luck :smile:

I sincerely wish you the best :flowerforyou:
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    all the meat eggs and cheese I can eat? count me in ........

NOT

enjoy having a stroke

Apart from the theme of "do what works for you", it would be great if people supplied some facts to back up this kind of statement. Give us a study that conclusively shows Atkins leads to higher incidence of stroke.

Oh, someone at Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston did a 12 week study on mice (who normally don't eat high protein diets anyway), and someone at Oxford did a study that suggests higher incidence of heart disease.

But other studies have shown that blood pressure and bad cholesterol go down for some low carb dieters.

A lot of people mistakenly thought that Atkins and other low carb regimes called for "low carb, high fat", so that you could eat all the bacon and cheese and lard and chicken skins that you wanted. That's not really the right approach. You should eat mostly protein, plus low-carb veggies, plus plenty of fiber (Scandinavian high fiber crackers, for example). Keep eating fruit. You probably will remain healthy, unless you do some kind of extreme zero-carb regime which is a bad idea for most of us.

I loved being on a low carb diet, but it was just too tempting to eat carbs. You're at a wedding, and they hand you a plate of the most delicious wedding cake ever made, and you say no thank you, I'm low carbing it??? No way. I much prefer the caloric approach of MFP where I make sure to work out for an hour or so before the wedding, then I can pig out!

5-12-2011 10 lbs down, 25 to go!
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi your choice. If this is the way that works for you to lose weight, go for it.

But, all that the supporters have shown so far are references to crappy misleading websites that inflate some crappy misleading studies. And sorry, I do not have the time to research every mention of an article. In total, there is nothing conclusive published that Atkins/Paleo/Primal is any better than plain counting calories, and based on our understanding of biology, worse for cholesterol and better for glucose.

So, how about a challenge? Below are my numbers from the last six months, just counting calories with a weight loss goal of 1lb per week. I think there are enough Atkins/Paleo/Primal people posting here. What are your numbers like? Show me that they are better than mine.

Weight loss, I started in Oct 2010 and am about done (note weekly goal of 1 lb changed to 0.5 lb in April.)

Oct 2010 8 lb
    Nov 2010 8 lb
    Dec 2010 7 lb
    Jan 2011 6 lb
    Feb 2011 3 lb
    Mar 2011 1 lb
    Apr 2011 4 lb

Oct 2010 May 2011
    Weight 194 lb 154 lb
    BMI 28 22

Glucose 136 105
    AIC 6.0 5.8
    Cholesterol 178 168
    HDL 42 62
    LDL 88 88
    Triglycerides 247 95

In total for me (in 6 months):

BMI decreased by 21%
    Glucose decreased 23%
    AIC decreased 3%
    Cholesterol decreased 6%
    HDL increased 48%
    LDL no change
    Triglycerides decreased 62%
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    And again, still you have missed the reference to the meta study that I posted, especially for you. Nothing crappy or misleading about that. perhaps you're not so science-minded after all...
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Spectacular results, jknops2! Especially on the bloodwork those are great, positive changes.

For me, I can only give body composition change:
    04/19/10
    268lbs
    28%bf
    35.4 BMI
    05/13/11
    23.1%bf
    28.1 BMI

In the same time, I've added 150lbs to my squats and deadlifts, and 100lbs to my overhead press and bench press at over 2lbs added per week. I know you are not tracking that here, just a personal accomplishment :)
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Ok, mellow a bit please. A couple of points.

1. This is a meta-analysis, I have done those, but there are limitations with this analysis. They are often done if there a mixed results in different studies. But the studies included in this analyses are all based on small and inconclusive studies and this is not much better. (putting 10 piles of crap together, just gives you a really big pile of crap). I think the researchers are overstating their findings, but they do raise the point that they do not understand what causes the heterogeneity in the studies included. That is key, I think, why do some people on certain diets restrictions do well and other ones not. But then you need a lot more data, on exercise, fiber intake, alcohol intake, smoking, etc. This can be done with large studies, but not studies with small sample sizes and this meta-analysis is based on this.
    2. There are a number of other articles showing that there is no difference, are showing increased health risk associated with low carb diets. That’s my main point, there is no consensus on this topic, and at best it is marginally better, and most likely it is no different than just calories in and out.
    3. Do note that this study compares low carb/high protein versus low fat diets. I think that focusing only on either low fat or low carb is not well supported. Calories in and calories out, bring you weight down into a healthy range is the key factor to decrease all kind of health issues. That's much more important, than how you actually do it. I think, we can all agree about this.

To conclude this, I think the end conclusion of the following paper says it best:

Busetto, Marangon & De Stefano. High-protein low-carbohydrate diets: what is the rationale? Diabetes Metabolism Research and Reviews (2011) 27: 230-232.

"In conclusion, all types of diets inducing an energy deficit may be effective for short-term weight loss, regardless of their composition. To increase the protein content of the diet and/or to reduce the carbohydrate load may produce both favourable and unfavourable metabolic effects in comparison with conventional low-fat diets. These differences are anyway small. Concerns about longterm safety do not suggest the promotion of high-protein low-fat diet as a component of a lifestyle modification programme, whereas safe low-fat diets have proven longterm benefits."
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options

Breakfast:

2 boiled eggs

lunch:
    OR

supper:

snacks:

treat:

Yes Bethany...what did you start there haha! I am so pleased you have come to a decision and it looks pretty healthy overall. You and I are eating pretty similar but i dont follow any single stupid diet or give it a name - I just call it HEALTHY!! I have a gluten intollerance so I too restrict breads, pastas etc (anything with gluten in really) but I still have them if I want them - just not often. I still love my potatoes and I cannot give them up. I swear the only thing that has kept me healthy the last 3 months is my occassional treat (chocolate, jellies, crisps...oh crisps) I will not start to feel guilty for eating because then things have gone too far! If you find you don't like eating that way you can change it and don't ever let anybody tell you how to eat. At the end of the day it is a source of fuel and as long as we give our bodies what it needs; it will keep us happy. Learn how to listen to it because NOBODY else can hear what is going on inside.

You are more than welcome to add me for support if you like. I wish you the best of luck in your journey x
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Hi your choice. If this is the way that works for you to lose weight, go for it.

But, all that the supporters have shown so far are references to crappy misleading websites that inflate some crappy misleading studies. And sorry, I do not have the time to research every mention of an article. In total, there is nothing conclusive published that Atkins/Paleo/Primal is any better than plain counting calories, and based on our understanding of biology, worse for cholesterol and better for glucose.

So, how about a challenge? Below are my numbers from the last six months, just counting calories with a weight loss goal of 1lb per week. I think there are enough Atkins/Paleo/Primal people posting here. What are your numbers like? Show me that they are better than mine.

Weight loss, I started in Oct 2010 and am about done (note weekly goal of 1 lb changed to 0.5 lb in April.)

Oct 2010 8 lb
    Nov 2010 8 lb
    Dec 2010 7 lb
    Jan 2011 6 lb
    Feb 2011 3 lb
    Mar 2011 1 lb
    Apr 2011 4 lb

Oct 2010 May 2011
    Weight 194 lb 154 lb
    BMI 28 22

Glucose 136 105
    AIC 6.0 5.8
    Cholesterol 178 168
    HDL 42 62
    LDL 88 88
    Triglycerides 247 95

In total for me (in 6 months):

BMI decreased by 21%
    Glucose decreased 23%
    AIC decreased 3%
    Cholesterol decreased 6%
    HDL increased 48%
    LDL no change
    Triglycerides decreased 62%

I don't have any blood work to show, but my weight loss has been

Jan1- 2011 264
    May9- 2011 229

35 pounds in less than 5 months

In the same time frame I have increased in all of my weight lifting movements too.

I will have blood work done this summer some time when I do my next check up.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

So we go from “no scientific studies” to well their just crappy misleading studies. Nice! Why don’t you take the time this weekend, and read the studies and then tell us why they are crappy studies.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    OK, there are a lot of replies that I'm not going to take the time to read. But I'm on a low carb diet. Not true Atkins, but almost. You have to be aware of what's in every food b/c there are hidden carbs everywhere. Stay away from Atkins foods or any foods that claim a "net carb" content, as they may not be as low carb as they claim. Also remember that foods don't have to publish the true carb content if a serving has less than 1 gram, so some may say zero when they are not. If you have 2-3 servings, you'll need to find out how many you're eating. I try to keep my daily carbs around 20g.

And drink plenty of water. I'm talking more than the daily 8 glasses minimum. And you can steer clear of heavy, long duration cardio. A shorter, less intense cardio will be just fine. For regular dieters, it takes 10-20 mins to get into fat burning zone b/c they have to burn off their stores of glucose. We don't have any stores so the minute we start cardio, we're in the fat burning zone. Add some light to moderate weight training, and you're set!

Be prepared for intense cravings (for carbs) in the first week or so. Those will pass, trust me. This diet doesn't work for everyone, so pay attention to how you're feeling in the first 2-3 weeks. It works great for me but not for my husband. So if you're not feeling better with more energy, it may not be a good diet for your body. Good luck!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    OK, there are a lot of replies that I'm not going to take the time to read. But I'm on a low carb diet. Not true Atkins, but almost. You have to be aware of what's in every food b/c there are hidden carbs everywhere. Stay away from Atkins foods or any foods that claim a "net carb" content, as they may not be as low carb as they claim. Also remember that foods don't have to publish the true carb content if a serving has less than 1 gram, so some may say zero when they are not. If you have 2-3 servings, you'll need to find out how many you're eating. I try to keep my daily carbs around 20g.

And drink plenty of water. I'm talking more than the daily 8 glasses minimum. And you can steer clear of heavy, long duration cardio. A shorter, less intense cardio will be just fine. For regular dieters, it takes 10-20 mins to get into fat burning zone b/c they have to burn off their stores of glucose. We don't have any stores so the minute we start cardio, we're in the fat burning zone. Add some light to moderate weight training, and you're set!

Be prepared for intense cravings (for carbs) in the first week or so. Those will pass, trust me. This diet doesn't work for everyone, so pay attention to how you're feeling in the first 2-3 weeks. It works great for me but not for my husband. So if you're not feeling better with more energy, it may not be a good diet for your body. Good luck!

Awesomely Stated!!!!
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    OK, there are a lot of replies that Iu'm not going to take the time to read. But I'm on a low carb diet. Not true Atkins, but almost. You have to be aware of what's in every food b/c there are hidden carbs everywhere. Stay away from Atkins foods or any foods that claim a "net carb" content, as they may not be as low carb as they claim. Also remember that foods don't have to publish the true carb content if a serving has less than 1 gram, so some may say zero when they are not. If you have 2-3 servings, you'll need to find out how many you're eating. I try to keep my daily carbs around 20g.

LOVE it!!! Makes sense:))
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add I posted my 6 month results but also have shifted macro ratios around. Same caloric restriction overall but made up of different intake.

I found out, through trial and error, that for me (and perhaps me alone or perhaps others as well) going above about 30g non-vegetable carbs means I don't lose weight. Period. I can be at a 500 or 750 cal deficit each and every day throughout the week, but go above 30g carbs and poof, zero weight loss. I tested this for some time, and in fact taking my normal diet, subtracting 64 calories of fat/protein, and replacing whatever that was with a MGD64 (ultra-light beer) = 0 weight loss. I tried the same with Oreos (1 cookie is roughly 50 calories, 8 carbs). Both of these would bump me up from ~25 carbs daily to over 30, and both lead to 0 weight loss every time.

Again, that's just me. One instance out of billions.
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    Just wanted to add I posted my 6 month results but also have shifted macro ratios around. Same caloric restriction overall but made up of different intake.

I found out, through trial and error, that for me (and perhaps me alone or perhaps others as well) going above about 30g non-vegetable carbs means I don't lose weight. Period. I can be at a 500 or 750 cal deficit each and every day throughout the week, but go above 30g carbs and poof, zero weight loss. I tested this for some time, and in fact taking my normal diet, subtracting 64 calories of fat/protein, and replacing whatever that was with a MGD64 (ultra-light beer) = 0 weight loss. I tried the same with Oreos (1 cookie is roughly 50 calories, 8 carbs). Both of these would bump me up from ~25 carbs daily to over 30, and both lead to 0 weight loss every time.

Again, that's just me. One instance out of billions.

WOW!!! That's very interesting!! Wonder why that is??? I've lowered my carbs drastically but could probably use another nudge:))