Considering Atkins

Options

Replies

• Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options

Wait, so you're saying if I stop dieting I will gain weight? DUH. That can be said of ANY diet. That is why "diets" don't work - LIFESTYLE CHANGES work.

Right on!
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into www.marksdailyapple.com / The Primal Blueprint instead of the Atkins philosophy.

That's a great site, and he provides a lot of information. It's a well rounded place to look at, and a well rounded outlook on lifestyle.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Right on last two comments and quotes very very true!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Atkins is horrible for you, a better approach is lifestyle changes. When you start restricting whole groups of food and eat large quantities of others, it's a recipe for disaster. Does Atkins work? Absolutely, if you follow it absolutely. BUT, it's tough to do. Carbs and Protein are your two main sources of fuel. Carbs are necessary and they are a comfort food, they just plain make you feel better when you eat them. I know some people like a diet plan laid out for them so they don't have to figure out what to eat, but that's not "real life". The problem with a "diet" is that it suggests a beginning and an end and that's when people get in trouble. Since they haven't gained lifestyle changes, they generally go back to the way they were eating and the whole ugly cycle begins again. The other problem with Atkins is that because you aren't getting any carbs you feel like crap most of the time and your body starts really craving the carbs. It's not a fun "diet" to be on.

For what it's worth, I'd try lifestyle changes and feel good!! Since I got on this site, less than a week ago, I have lost two pounds and feel great. When you have to put everything down in writing, you REALLY see what you are eating. Also, if I see I'm getting close to my calorie intake, I know I better get out there and do some exercising so I can complete my day with a calorie deficit! I LOVE this site!!

Good luck to you, whatever you decide. :flowerforyou:
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's been proven that eggs have no affect on cholesterol
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Atkins is horrible for you, a better approach is lifestyle changes. When you start restricting whole groups of food and eat large quantities of others, it's a recipe for disaster. Does Atkins work? Absolutely, if you follow it absolutely. BUT, it's tough to do. Carbs and Protein are your two main sources of fuel. Carbs are necessary and they are a comfort food, they just plain make you feel better when you eat them. I know some people like a diet plan laid out for them so they don't have to figure out what to eat, but that's not "real life". The problem with a "diet" is that it suggests a beginning and an end and that's when people get in trouble. Since they haven't gained lifestyle changes, they generally go back to the way they were eating and the whole ugly cycle begins again. The other problem with Atkins is that because you aren't getting any carbs you feel like crap most of the time and your body starts really craving the carbs. It's not a fun "diet" to be on.

For what it's worth, I'd try lifestyle changes and feel good!! Since I got on this site, less than a week ago, I have lost two pounds and feel great. When you have to put everything down in writing, you REALLY see what you are eating. Also, if I see I'm getting close to my calorie intake, I know I better get out there and do some exercising so I can complete my day with a calorie deficit! I LOVE this site!!

Atkins is a lifestyle change that will take you from detox to weight loss to Maintenance.
  • heniko
    Options

While everyone has a right to their own opinion, it has proven time and time again by dieters, scientists and doctors that low carb does work! I agree with what you said about lifestyle change ... but low carb is lifestyle change not a diet! You can't (as it been said million times on this very thread) that you can' t do Atkins then lose the weightthen go back to eating crap! And those thinking Atkins (or any other plan) thinks it's only a diet, well then they will regain the weight back for sure. Atkins and other plans all require a lifetime commitment. And we are all different, our bodies, our systems, our habits, etc ... so what worked for you may not work for others.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

How long ago did you do the Atkins "diet"?
  • Grokette
    Options
    For all of you that want to say that Atkins is so bad for you, I did a post a while back Outlining the 4 phases of Atkins and how foods are added back in.........

For those of you that believe in eating by the Glycemic Index, guess what!?!?!?! So Does Atkins. The order at which you add back in foods is based from lowest glycemic load to the highest............that is why grains and starchy vegetables are added in last when most of the excess weight is gone........

Please read this post (at least the ones outlining the 4 phases). I am not asking you to convert, but read it so that you can dispell your own biases and judgements based on untruthfulness..........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/229665-rant-this-is-what-the-atkins-plan-is-truly-about?hl=atkins+rant

Wow, you really eat all this on Atkins??????????? Yep, sure do. You add these things in slowly and in order to learn what YOUR individual body can tolerate and what is can not tolerate. It is a learning experience Fo'Sho'.................

1.More salad and other vegetables
    2.Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
    3.Nuts and Seeds
    4.Berries, then melons
    5.Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)
    6.Legumes
    7.Other Fruits
    8.Starchy vegetables
    9.Whole grains

I will say this also..............Atkins is no different than the Candida plan that many doctors put patients on to treat yeast over growth. In fact, it is much more liberal and can have the same effects.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

I can tell you are a person that likes to be consistent, and really means what they say. So in the spirit of lending a helping hand I will point you to another thread that needs your advice. Please go over to this thread about vegans and let them know how cutting out entire food groups is not healthy.

edit, I forgot the link, here it is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/242603-vegetarians-vegans-raw-foodists
  • heniko
    Options
    Atkins is horrible for you, a better approach is lifestyle changes.

clipped

I can tell you are a person that likes to be consistent, and really means what they say. So in the spirit of lending a helping hand I will point you to another thread that needs your advice. Please go over to this thread about vegans and let them know how cutting out entire food groups is not healthy.

I can't help but smile reading this Free! :wink:
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Sa-LAM, Freerange! ROFL! Well said! The only food groups I'm cutting out are Junk Food, Processed Food, Grains, and Fruits (some of which I will add back in as I get closer to my goal weight). Meanwhile, I've made the lifestyle change, I do not crave that crap, and I feel like I can go the rest of my life without it! As I noted earlier, I've gone through my bday, my husbands and 3 kids birthdays without even a craving for cake or cupcakes, whilst everyone else ate around me. AND lost 1.5 pounds over the birthday weekend. Hmmmm....
  • Grokette
    Options
    Sa-LAM, Freerange! ROFL! Well said! The only food groups I'm cutting out are Junk Food, Processed Food, Grains, and Fruits (some of which I will add back in as I get closer to my goal weight). Meanwhile, I've made the lifestyle change, I do not crave that crap, and I feel like I can go the rest of my life without it! As I noted earlier, I've gone through my bday, my husbands and 3 kids birthdays without even a craving for cake or cupcakes, whilst everyone else ate around me. AND lost 1.5 pounds over the birthday weekend. Hmmmm....

I don't crave it anymore either. Unless it is cheesecake.........which my husband and I share a slice (usually ends up eating one or 2 bites out of it) on our anniversary.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That's the thing....Atkins doesn't say you can never have it again, just not at every meal, or every day! I saw a recipe for Cheesecake on Atkins.com. Haven't tried it, afraid it might effect my weight loss for the negative, like that "Atkins-friendly" chocolate-rum pie at Easter!
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    I tried Atkins for a few weeks. I was never hungry. Finally gave up, because I was always constipated and the food bored me after a while. Especially all the fat food got on my nerves since I am not a big fat food eater.
  • Grokette
    Options
    That's the thing....Atkins doesn't say you can never have it again, just not at every meal, or every day! I saw a recipe for Cheesecake on Atkins.com. Haven't tried it, afraid it might effect my weight loss for the negative, like that "Atkins-friendly" chocolate-rum pie at Easter!

Yes, when I was on Atkins I regularly made sugar-free cheesecake with a nut crust and had it for breakfast with coffee. It is very filling..........
  • heniko
    Options

Yes, when I was on Atkins I regularly made sugar-free cheesecake with a nut crust and had it for breakfast with coffee. It is very filling..........

I'm going to have to look for this recipe ... I could easily have a slice for breakfast one day
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    There's a low carb coconut macaron recipe out there that's phenomenal...I'll have to find it.
  • Grokette
    Options

I'm going to have to look for this recipe ... I could easily have a slice for breakfast one day

Here you go:

Crust:
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped pecans
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped almonds
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup almond meal (almond flour)
    2 Tablespoons butter (melt in microwave)

Filling...

1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
    1 1/3 cups Pourable Splenda (or other sugar substitute that is equal to 1 1/3 cups sugar)
    5 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    16 ounces sour cream

Cream cheese and eggs should be at room temperature before you start.
    How To Prepare: Mix all nuts and almond meal with melted butter and press into a springform pan, trying to line the sides as much as possible about 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan, set aside to mix filling.

Start by beating the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process. Add the sugar substitute a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese, add vanilla and lemon juice, Add the sour cream last until just blemded in.

Pour cream cheese mixture into the springform pan. Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degree preheated oven for one hour and 15 minutes. If you want a cheesecake with a less brown top, put on the next rack down. Also, some have commented that they had a few cracks... Remember not to open the oven while baking, this might make it crack. You might also want to try a waterbath but its not really neccessary. When time is up, turn off the oven and prop open the oven door... leave in oven for one hour. After one hour, remove from oven. Run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake also, so if it shrinks while cooling it will not crack at that time either. Let cool to just about room temperature before the cheesecake is put into the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Make sure you wait the 24 hours before sampling... A cheesecake should season. The wait is worth it. The flavor ripens and becomes enriched.

Nutritional information:

Without Crust:

Cheesecake without crust

231.5 Calories; 22g Fat (48.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 118mg Cholesterol; 158mg Sodium.

Cheesecake including Splenda:

319 Calories; 28g Fat (79.6% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 177mg Sodium

And this is cheesecake WITHOUT Splenda:

311 Calories; 28g Fat (81.7% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 177mg Sodium
  • heniko
    Options
    Thank you! shopping tomorrow morning and make this!