everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i keep seeing this phrase thrown around all over the place. "it's ok if you ate a quarter pounder from McDonalds last night, everything in moderation!" "don't feel guilty about eating that Snickers bar, everything in moderation right?" i don't really understand this frame of mind - why would anyone want to put anything unhealthy into their body, ever? i mean is it ok to poison yourself in moderation? because that's what junk food does to you. especially genetically modified, heavily preserved or artificially sweetened junk food.

Yo Carolynmittens, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but we say 'everything in moderation' because people don't get up any faster if they're being kicked while they're down.

:laugh: I hope you get the reference.

Anyhow, what you talk about is what I strive for, but I'm not going to discourage anyone if they're struggling and don't follow MY eating philosophies. (GF, vegan, soy free)
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    I wish I could buy organic most of the time! I cant afford to. I just meant healthy food and fruits and veggies in general can be affordable :) I know it can maybe be scary and it seems like its really expensive to buy fruits n veggies but I've found markets that have great prices, like Jons in california or the ethnic markets. I do try to do cage free eggs though.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Instead of being gracious and thanking him, his aunt told him, oh, we don't eat anything cooked in aluminium cookware.
    So, did his aunt's dress go well with lentils? Because if I'd gone to that much trouble for someone who didn't have the decency to spell out their picky little requirements, they'd have been wearing them! :bigsmile:

Sure, avoid cooking with aluminium at home, but refusing to eat one meal smacks of fundamentalism - and fundamentalism, whether in religion or anything else, is pretty d*mn ugly. :angry:

exactly my point. moderation, to me, means be Reasonable ! The world is not always perfect, and sometimes one just has to let go their principles for a greater good.

I don't eat red meat and haven't for 30 years. Just don't like it. But when I had dinner at an old friend's and they cooked Elk that they had in their freezer, well, guess what, I ate it. My friendship was more important than my obsessive diet restrictions.

Guess that's one thing about getting older, we chill out a little :smile:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    people. calm down. i never said i was perfect, all i'm saying is please be aware that chemicals hurt you. shooooot me!
    In defense of the people who are disagreeing with you, you DID ask: "why would anyone want to put anything unhealthy into their body, ever?" and "if there is nothing at all beneficial in the food you're about to eat, why are you eating it?"

I think you're getting people's answers to your questions.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    man, whiny people piss me off. i think its interesting how many people are posting in disagreement with the poster and have a large amount of weight to lose. correlation? maaaybe.

before you go trip out on me, i ate the same way for a long time. its programmed into us at this point. but you know what? you can change it. stop being afraid and wimpy and whiny and make yourself push past 'moderation' into healthy. i make minimum wage and work less than 20 hours a week and i'm a full time college student trying to pay off debt. guess what? i feed myself organically with no HFCS, enriched flour, or gluten on less than $200 a month. and yes, the chipotle i am eating today follows the same guidelines.

its friggen doable. you just have to stop being afraid.

btw, cranberries are red. i really hope the person that made that comment realizes that.
    Wow... seriously? So, I'm assuming you live in a dorm, that is paid for, and you drive a car that your parents paid for (or you don't have one.)
    200 dollars a month in food for one person is INSANE. Some people have that budget for two people (like me) and others, for more. You're living the high life, so stop trying to say that those of us who have to work full time on top of going to school full time are whiny.

actually you assumed WRONG :D i have paid off my own car, i carry the insurance, i pay my own bills, i have prescription medications that i pay for, and i pay my rent. so.

looking at last month's groceries, i spent around $150 because i bought 10 pounds of chicken on sale for $1.77 a pound and 8 pounds of ground beef that will last me for MONTHS. this month, i have about $80 for groceries since i spent so much last month so this month will be very slim. i should have elaborated a little more fully. i clip coupons, shop sales, buy in bulk, and stock up when i have the money to do so and i still eat fine. my point about the amount of hours i work was related to the amount of money i make. i also have 2 internships and am training for several athletic events so i'm plenty pressed for time.

this ain't the high life, but i make it work. thanks though :)
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    I got to page two of this bull**** and couldn't stand it anymore.

Do your thing and remember, as the man says, haters gonna hate.

I'm eating a half dozen doughnuts and a big Mac tomorrow in honor of all the health food nazis.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options

I'm eating a half dozen doughnuts and a big Mac tomorrow in honor of all the health food nazis.

And I'm gonna top that **** off with a Reeses, bloody steak and a diet coke.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    man, whiny people piss me off. i think its interesting how many people are posting in disagreement with the poster and have a large amount of weight to lose. correlation? maaaybe.

before you go trip out on me, i ate the same way for a long time. its programmed into us at this point. but you know what? you can change it. stop being afraid and wimpy and whiny and make yourself push past 'moderation' into healthy. i make minimum wage and work less than 20 hours a week and i'm a full time college student trying to pay off debt. guess what? i feed myself organically with no HFCS, enriched flour, or gluten on less than $200 a month. and yes, the chipotle i am eating today follows the same guidelines.

its friggen doable. you just have to stop being afraid.

btw, cranberries are red. i really hope the person that made that comment realizes that.
    Wow... seriously? So, I'm assuming you live in a dorm, that is paid for, and you drive a car that your parents paid for (or you don't have one.)
    200 dollars a month in food for one person is INSANE. Some people have that budget for two people (like me) and others, for more. You're living the high life, so stop trying to say that those of us who have to work full time on top of going to school full time are whiny.

actually you assumed WRONG :D i have paid off my own car, i carry the insurance, i pay my own bills, i have prescription medications that i pay for, and i pay my rent. so.

looking at last month's groceries, i spent around $150 because i bought 10 pounds of chicken on sale for $1.77 a pound and 8 pounds of ground beef that will last me for MONTHS. this month, i have about $80 for groceries since i spent so much last month so this month will be very slim. i should have elaborated a little more fully. i clip coupons, shop sales, buy in bulk, and stock up when i have the money to do so and i still eat fine. my point about the amount of hours i work was related to the amount of money i make. i also have 2 internships and am training for several athletic events so i'm plenty pressed for time.

this ain't the high life, but i make it work. thanks though :)

Yeah, honestly I feel like $200 is pretty average, at least where I live (Toronto, Canada).

Just wondering where you live.... here you can't get organic chicken breasts for $1.77/pound. Regular chicken breasts on sale go for about that much. I've been buying my chicken from a butcher who sells meat from Mennonite farms, and it's $7.65 per pound.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I agree if we were meant to put chemicals into our body than they would have been here for us like meat, veg, grains, and fruits. And not configured in some lab.

I'm trying hard to discipline my self and hope to one day eat clean..and only clean.

With that logic we'd all be dead of smallpox. It's called evolution.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

And I'm gonna top that **** off with a Reeses, bloody steak and a diet coke.

Can I come over for dinner? I'll bring two spoons and an economy size can frosting, full of partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.. We can kill it for dessert.

P.S. Girl who thinks it's easy for everyone to eat organically, work full-time, pay bills, and go to school full-time: You're obviously one of the very few who can do this, especially since your car is paid off.. I work my *kitten* off in school to keep my GPA high and work to support only ME and I still have school debt to pay off, car payments, insurance, medications, $400 a month in gas for my commutes, and am living paycheck to paycheck. Cost of living where I am is high.. Don't assume we all have the same carefree circumstances you do. Buying food in bulk? Great idea -- IF you have room to store it. Again, we all have different circumstances.

Bottom line: Be considerate.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    SMH....I try to eat clean but I do like to have processed foods sometimes.

I agree with moderation :) It works for me & a lot of other people. Everything is a learning experience & everyone has a different path. I read a lot of "no" & "never"....a holier than thou attitude is never a good thing, btw

I read the first & last page of this....whew! lol
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Can I come over for dinner? I'll bring two spoons and an economy size can frosting, full of partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.. We can kill it for dessert.

P.S. Girl who thinks it's easy for everyone to eat organically, work full-time, pay bills, and go to school full-time: You're obviously one of the very few who can do this, especially since your car is paid off.. I work my *kitten* off in school to keep my GPA high and work to support only ME and I still have school debt to pay off, car payments, insurance, medications, $400 a month in gas for my commutes, and am living paycheck to paycheck. Cost of living where I am is high.. Don't assume we all have the same carefree circumstances you do. Buying food in bulk? Great idea -- IF you have room to store it. Again, we all have different circumstances.

Bottom line: Be considerate.

I love you, and your dinner date too.:flowerforyou:

Can I come have dinner with you guys? I'll bring my diet soda, my HFCS yogurt, and fat free cool whip for dessert.
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what the original poster said regarding eating clean foods, but I don't take it to the extremes that she's mentioning. Like the brownies...the chemicals in that case really aren't my problem...eating the entire pan would be where I'd get into trouble. Organic or chemical free, there's no moderation there, and I'm not better off eating the "healthier" version so I might as well enjoy myself and eat the ones that taste better.

I try and feed my family as cleanly as possible; however, I'm feeding a family and I have to prepare foods that they'll eat. Sometimes the marinade I use has some sugar or coloring in it. I aim for 80% clean and don't worry about the rest. So, that's how I eat cleanly "in moderation".

I did read that you battled with food in the past, possibly anorexia. I'm not accusing you, but it does make sense that someone who would control their food intake to the extent of starvation may also control their food to the extent of eating nothing unnatural...orthorexia is the name of it, I believe. Again, I'm not accusing you, but it is something that is popping up a lot due to the recent popularity of organic/non-chemical laden foods (or at least awareness of how the alternatives can affect us).
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    i wish i had your discipline!
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is rather ironic when you compare it to you avatar. Is that water you're drinking?
    not even joking - it's cranberry juice :)

I hope for your sake it's not pure cranberry juice - you know that can cause kidney damage right? Just an example that things "pure" and "natural" can be unhealthy as well. :smile:
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    Imagine peak health as a shining beacon at the top of a long staircase.
    Most people who are on MFP start at the bottom, eating nothing but these processed unhealthy foods. Often it's all they know--they were raised with it.
    With every step, the MFP-er gets closer to that shining beacon of health. It takes time, though, and a gradual alteration of attitude and physical composition.
    Switching from processed to organic is like giving up drugs cold turkey. There are physical side effects.
    Same goes for the mind's adaptation to a new lifestyle. If the body goes one way but the mind isn't ready, people will fall off of this allegorical staircase, or at least tumble down to a lower step.
    No, the junk food is not good in any way, shape, or form. But if a person is able to go from eating 90% unhealthy and 10% healthy to 50%-50%, that's a tremendous change. If they can go from that to 30% unhealthy-70% healthy, that's even greater of a progress. The indulgences are still bad, but they're BETTER than what they're used to. It takes gradual adaptation of the body and mind to reach that beacon of health that you've been able to get so close to.

So when people say "everything in moderation" I imagine that's what they mean--don't deprive yourself of something terrible for you if it means you'll end up doing even worse later. Forgive yourself, avoid the cortisol explosion of stress (which can cause worse indulgences) and move on up that staircase.
    you couldnt have said it any better
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Healthy foods in moderation are good. As the person above said, 1200 calories of carrots a day probably isn't a good idea. But when people say "everything in moderation" they usually mean junk food. For me, if I eat McDonalds in moderation, I crave it until I eat it again. If I were to eat a Snickers once at the end of every month, I would probably have a craving for a Snickers all month until I got it. Cutting that stuff out all together gets rid of the cravings, at least for me. I used to eat Debbie snack cakes every single day, but now that I've completely cut them out, the thought of them makes me sick. Same with McDonalds. I've done this with a lot of the junk food I used to eat. I'm still working on a few things, like Chipotle, but I don't really even get cravings for junk food now. It's great. :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've read through this whole thread and I have to admit that I've found it interesting, informative and downright amusing.

I understand what the original poster is saying, even though I was initially offended with the way it came across. It did sound very preachy and there seem to be a lot of people on here who are struggling with their eating choices who would likely hear it as criticism and end up feeling bad about what they've eaten. I'm guessing most of them wouldn't be those responding on this thread.

I think most of us here have had some sort of obsession with food, the original poster, I think, has a less common form of obsession with food. That it works for her is great and I applaud her because if it was possible for me to only eat and use only purely healthy organic things, I would. But I can't.

First and foremost, I take prescription meds, which are basically chemicals and poison. Not a whole lot natural in those things. Do I need the meds to survive? No. But I do need them to live, because the me I am without them isn't capable of accomplishing more than dragging her sorry *kitten* out of bed, let alone to the kitchen to make myself something healthy to eat.

Second, I've tried to eat clean and healthy, quite a few times, and it clearly didn't last because I still eat junk and I'm morbidly obese. The problem there is that my taste buds and my brain and my emotions think most natural, clean, healthy foods taste like cardboard, and there's only so long that I can munch on rabbit food before I get seriously irritated with myself and the world at large. I toss out all the 'bad' foods and only allow myself organic clean healthy foods and I know for a fact that I'll fail on this mission of mine.

So, while yeah, I'd like to ultimately eat only clean, healthy, organic foods, I don't see that happening in my life time. But this doesn't mean that I'm not going to work towards that as my ultimate goal, but to get there I've got to use the 'everything in moderation' mindset. I need to take the time to train my tastebuds that clean foods taste good.... because I'm certain a lot of them do, I just don't recognise it yet. I need to take the time to recognise why I eat what I eat when I reach for crap instead of the healthy foods I do like. I need to take time to train myself to do the right things.

So more power to you if you can kick the bad habits cold turkey and live a 100 percent clean lifestyle. Me? I'm going to be happy with 'everything in moderation' because compared to what I've done for the last 30 years of my life, it's going to be a complete 180. And that, I think, will be a huge success.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    How self-righteous! Let's all be perfect, organic, raw food eating vegans. $8 for organic milk, while regular old skim or 1% is only $5. It adds up and not everyone has the resources. Rolling my eyes at this, honestly.