everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    I got to page two of this bull**** and couldn't stand it anymore.

Do your thing and remember, as the man says, haters gonna hate.

I'm eating a half dozen doughnuts and a big Mac tomorrow in honor of all the health food nazis.

And I'm gonna top that **** off with a Reeses, bloody steak and a diet coke.
    Word. I got to page two and also found this really irritating. You and Erindipitous both crack me up!

As for the original author, its a shame that you want to act like you're better than all of us on here who cant, don't, don't want, to eat JUST. LIKE. YOU. The point of this site is to learn, gain support, and make progress. Not judge or make yourself feel better by acting superior to everyone else. If by chance your goal was to educate people about eating better, you probably shouldn't have attacked us all with your questions about why we would want to eat that stuff, etc.
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Here's the thing - as others have said - we aren't machines and food isn't just fuel. Food is culture. Food is community. Life is for living. Only most of us here have been doing a little too much living through food. It's true. The foods you mention are complete crap, and I agree that honestly, eating fast food is not doing yourself any favors. I am trying to stop thinking "I deserve to eat that" and start thinking "my body doesn't deserve this crap", but it is a journey for some people that doesn't happen in ONE step.

But, maybe when you get a little older you will realize that life isn't that black and white. The tone of the original post isn't going to turn anyone on to organic whole foods. It is just going to make people feel worthless... which makes many over eaters want to EAT. And honestly? Not everyone has the education you do, or lives where you do. This is not the way to educate or help anyone.

And posters thinking they're smart because they're "real" or they "bring it" to a message board of people trying to improve their lives... well that is just sad. This place is for support, not tearing each other down.

The problem with the original post wasn't what you were saying, but that you come across as totally entitled, naive, and judgmental. Now that sounds like I am tearing you down, but I think we are all like this sometimes.

I am trying to eat as much real food as I can, but sometimes I don't plan perfectly and am out, and I have to choose between not eating and eating something imperfect. I choose imperfect over not eating, sorry. It's not going to be fast food but it's not going to be organic either. And I have it easy. I am single, no kids, and I live in a place where it's easy to access real food. Other times I want to enjoy a meal with friends or family and they don't have the same priorities I do. Still other times I want a ****ing beer. :D

And real food costs more. It just does. You can buy barley flour for $3 but you also have to buy chocolate, vanilla, etc. It gets expensive very quickly. Organic, ethically raised meat is incredibly expensive. It is disingenuous to say that eating organically is cheaper than eating processed food. It just isn't true and that is actually the root of the problem.

Another problem with this "never" stuff is that the people telling us what is healthy don't know wtf they are talking about. Twenty years ago they told us all to stop eating eggs and bacon and start eating cereal. Sorry, but that is bull****. Eggs are one of the healthiest foods you can eat and processed cereals are one of the worst. Now the consensus is swinging back around to say bacon is ok too. The truth is they don't even know how our bodies handle cholesterol.

I have more bad news for you too. Breathing kills you. Every time your body burns food using oxygen, there is a chance you'll get some free radicals released by accident, and ever time you get some free radicals there is a chance they will cause a mutation, and every time you get a mutation there is a chance you'll get cancer. We're all dying right now. So, stop worrying so much, have a few real drinks instead of cranberry juice, and enjoy your life IN MODERATION.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    and the drink pictured in your hand is???? just curious...
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Cranberry juice in a shaved coconut.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'mma let you finish
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

fdh.jpg

I'm totally stealing this picture! Cracks me up! :)

Skimmed through the topic and replies, simply because i knew it was going to turn into a doozy. The OP made some excellent points, we shovel far too many poisons into our bodies on a daily basis. However, as individuals we have to make a decision as to how much we want to regulate that, and what we consider acceptable to eat. For some of us, just making the switch to eating more veggies and fruits is about as much as we can handle at first. Deciding to drink more water and less coffee/soda is about the limit of our resolve. Or just trying to focus on portion size. Or making the decision to cook meals at home more. Or any number of steps we take to become healthier.

the OP is young and enthusiastic and lacking tact, perhaps, but she makes good points. I do believe she completely and utterly misses the spirit of "everything in moderation" statement though.

I also think that those who are bashing her for voicing her opinion and being too preachy need to step back and take a deep breath. It's okay to disagree, but let's all try and show her how to disagree with grace and style and tact. Some of you have, some have not.

That's all. :)

*still giggling over the picture*
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I agree if we were meant to put chemicals into our body than they would have been here for us like meat, veg, grains, and fruits. And not configured in some lab.

I'm trying hard to discipline my self and hope to one day eat clean..and only clean.

With that logic we'd all be dead of smallpox. It's called evolution.

better life through chemistry. I know I'm grateful for the stuff that has been configured in some lab :laugh:
    like, penicillin.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

"Cranberry juice" in a "shaved coconut."
    :wink:
  • peachykeenlmao
    Options
    those whole grains and fruits can make you gain weight if you are eating an excess amount...therefore you are eating in moderation, because you are moderating what you eat by counting calories. just saying
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    I got to page two of this bull**** and couldn't stand it anymore.

Do your thing and remember, as the man says, haters gonna hate.

I'm eating a half dozen doughnuts and a big Mac tomorrow in honor of all the health food nazis.

And I'm gonna top that **** off with a Reeses, bloody steak and a diet coke.

I'm in love! :love:
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    Unless your name is Lestat, you only get this life. I won't be spending it trying to prolong it to 100 so I can NOT eat chocolate. It just ain't happening.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Unless your name is Lestat, you only get this life. I won't be spending it trying to prolong it to 100 so I can NOT eat chocolate. It just ain't happening.

I so want a reese's now.... dangit.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You sound superhuman! I, on the other hand, am a mere mortal. You say your body is a temple; I say mine is more like a football stadium. I get plenty of exercise but the odd pie at half time doesn't hurt either!!!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Can I get your brownie recipe?
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    You sound superhuman! I, on the other hand, am a mere mortal. You say your body is a temple; I say mine is more like a football stadium. I get plenty of exercise but the odd pie at half time doesn't hurt either!!!

Oooooo pie? I want pie.... GAHHHHH! TOM I HATEZ UUUUUUU! :sad:
  • julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    i keep seeing this phrase thrown around all over the place. "it's ok if you ate a quarter pounder from McDonalds last night, everything in moderation!" "don't feel guilty about eating that Snickers bar, everything in moderation right?" i don't really understand this frame of mind - why would anyone want to put anything unhealthy into their body, ever? i mean is it ok to poison yourself in moderation? because that's what junk food does to you. especially genetically modified, heavily preserved or artificially sweetened junk food.

to indulge is one thing. i make some seriously delicious and indulgent dark chocolate brownies from time to time. but they're made out of whole grain barley flour, 100% dark chocolate, and sweetened with applesauce or dates. if i'm in the mood for pancakes i make buckwheat pancakes. i'm not saying everyone should cut out desserts or treats, not at all.

""""""""""you can absolutely indulge in chocolate, cookies, pancakes, etc in moderation.""""""""""""

but people, there are healthier versions of these foods that taste just as good and won't kill you!

Sorry what ???
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP. You CAN eat any damn thing you want, whenever you want but that doesn't mean it doesn't come at a cost. If i decide to go get that big FAT juicy burger from a fast food joint with fries i can do just that. The difference is i'll eat light the rest of the day so that my daily caloric intake is healthy ie maintenance or below. The problem is most people don't know what moderation is. In fact its a safe bet to say that over 50% of those on this site who have lost weight will gain it all back plus some because they fall back into there unhealthy eating habits that got them here to begin with.

Personally speaking i'm going to like i said eat what i want whenever i want but i'm not going to gain back the weight i've lost as it's simply to much HARD work to waste the effort and have to do it all over again. I feel good and look even better. I'm almost thin again and i like it. I like going out in public and not being one of the FAT 80-90% American crowd i live among. Most of them are fat because they are undisciplined over eaters or poor eaters. Yesterday i ate some delicious German Chocolate cake yummy, I may not eat cake for a month or longer but if i want something i'm going to indulge in it.

Yesterday we bought a Take and Bake Pizza and cooked it up. I put 2 slices on my plate but only ate one. I could of ate the 2nd but i was full after the first so i stopped. I made the choice and saved 500+ calories from the daily total. You can't stop eating what you love and keep weight off. What a miserable life that would be not doing what you love. For what its worth my weight gain over the years was not from unhealthy eating it was from over eating and drinking too much beer :). My diet itself was nearly all meats and veggies/fruits.

So yeah you CAN eat anything you want if kept to sensible portions and in moderation.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    In response to the OP. You CAN eat any damn thing you want, whenever you want but that doesn't mean it doesn't come at a cost. If i decide to go get that big FAT juicy burger from a fast food joint with fries i can do just that. The difference is i'll eat light the rest of the day so that my daily caloric intake is healthy ie maintenance or below. The problem is most people don't know what moderation is. In fact its a safe bet to say that over 50% of those on this site who have lost weight will gain it all back plus some because they fall back into there unhealthy eating habits that got them here to begin with.

Personally speaking i'm going to like i said eat what i want whenever i want but i'm not going to gain back the weight i've lost as it's simply to much HARD work to waste the effort and have to do it all over again. I feel good and look even better. I'm almost thin again and i like it. I like going out in public and not being one of the FAT 80-90% American crowd i live among. Most of them are fat because they are undisciplined over eaters or poor eaters. Yesterday i ate some delicious German Chocolate cake yummy, I may not eat cake for a month or longer but if i want something i'm going to indulge in it.

Yesterday we bought a Take and Bake Pizza and cooked it up. I put 2 slices on my plate but only ate one. I could of ate the 2nd but i was full after the first so i stopped. I made the choice and saved 500+ calories from the daily total. You can't stop eating what you love and keep weight off. What a miserable life that would be not doing what you love. For what its worth my weight gain over the years was not from unhealthy eating it was from over eating and drinking too much beer :). My diet itself was nearly all meats and veggies/fruits.

So yeah you CAN eat anything you want if kept to sensible portions and in moderation.

THIS is what I mean by a lifestyle change! Making that conscious effort to scale it back a bit, but not give up what you love.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Do you know there are E numbers in everything we eat? We also have E numbers in our body/hair/saliva. E numbers are a term for regulated chemicals used in food.

For info natural & certainly organic foods contain some interesting toxins, for example...
    Broccoli contains the carcinogen allyl isothiocyanate.
    Apples contain cyanide and sugar compound called amygdalin in their pips.
    Carrots contain the toxin furocoumarin.

I'm not in any way saying not to eat the above because the nutritional benefits far outweigh any dangers, but what I wanted to highlight was that there are no absolute safe foods for the human body & everything can be toxic at a degree.

I used to be scared of E numbers but unfortunately after much research most of the fear has been wound up by the media & I feel that people should not be afraid to eat any foods and yes EVERYTHING in moderation. Too much water can kill you!

E951 Aspartame is one of the most tested and studied food additives ever approved however this has not prevented it remaining one of the leading subjects of unsubstantiated concerns about food additives.
    Acceptable daily intake is stated as 0-40 mg/kg body weight.

Generally I believe:
    Food is to be enjoyed
    Healthy food is better for you
    The human body is an amazing machine!!
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Oooooo pie? I want pie.... GAHHHHH! TOM I HATEZ UUUUUUU! :sad:

Sorry! Shouldn't have mentioned the 'p' word!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's lovely that you're so perfect. Some of us disagree with your theories, though. Real life, for me, isn't about being perfect.

If all of that works for you, fabulous. But you might want to try rephrasing your "it's never ok" attitude around here.