• live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Double Post.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options

It just takes time and dedication.

You all are clearly just not dedicated enough....

Don't you see how very condescending this is?:noway:
    Exactly. Like I said yesterday...uh oh...the food police are here....:huh:
  • live2smyle
    Options
    Really?!? I cant believe some of the responses on this post. #1 you have no idea what kind of "life experiance" this girl has had. By the time I was 19 I had more life experience than most 40yr olds.

So what if she was a bit preachy and had an eating disorder in the past. She is making up for it now, trying to do the right thing.

You cant possibly be shocked that fast food, processed food, and chemically altered food is bad for you. I eat junk all the time knowing that its not good even in moderation.

Everyone is so quick to judge here, if a post pop's up that even hints on the negative. I see a ton of responses like...Maybe they were having a bad day. Dont put the original OP down...etc. Yet most people jumped all over this girl like a pack of hyenas because she dared to tell you what your eating is garbage. You know its garbage :/

Cmon really???

SMH....
    And, you're not judging either?? Come on....Pot meet kettle....:huh:
    Please enlighten me and tell me exactly what part of that post I posted was judgemental to anyone?
  • julie_a_griffin
    julie_a_griffin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Just as I'm entitled to the opinion that what you're describing sounds like sheer hell and utter torture. For me, like many others, food it not just fuel. I enjoy it, I like sitting down to a meal with friends and just talking. It's a social thing. It's also frickin' delicious. I enjoy food, and I ate realitively healthily, I just had massive portions. Now, I'm fifteen pounds down from, guess what? Having things in moderation.

I made informed choices when I ate junk food. I knew it was bad for me. I wasn't deluding myself into thinking that Mcdonalds or whatever was healthy. I'm not an idiot. But it was still my choice to eat them. I used to drink one (or more) bottles of coke every day. Now, I sometimes, maybe once a week, treat myself to a can of diet coke after I've swam a mile in the pool and you know what? I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I'm damn prpoud of myself for cutting down so much on Coke because I was absolutely addicted. I also sometimes eat some chocolate, but I always, ALWAYS add it to my calorie goal. And I'm still losing weight and feeling healthier.

You probably had good intentions with this post, but you've come across as incredibly condescening and preachy. Your backtracking in comments aren't helping either. But, whatever, I wish you luck with your journey. Just maybe try to step down off your soapbox next time, and actually respectfully disagree with something when you claim to in the title, instead of alienating people and making them feel bad for not being able (or wanting) to live your lifestyle

But food is supposed to be just that, fool. That is why I see so many here that keep losing the same pounds over and over. And once upon a time that was me also.

Food is fuel and should be enjoyed through mindful eating. Not because it is a holiday, someone's birthday, wedding, anniversary, etc............Being around the people you love and care about should be about that, not the food.

I am so thankfully happy that I eat similar to the OP and I no longer have to worry about "calorie goals" and planning what I am going to eat..............with the lifestyle I live, I don't have to calorie count which gives an unbelievable amount of freedom with my lifestyle............

Woah, I hope that's a typo you've got there. Cos I am many things, but I am not a fool.

Food has always had social aspects to it. Why else would there be millions of restaurant's worldwide otherwise? It's a booming business. Also, tell that to the hundreds of celeberaty chefs that make their living telling us how to cook delicious food and enjoy it, usually with others. I was brought up with family dinners, helping my mum in the kitchen etc. It's always been a big part of my life, and I ENJOY it. I'm not going to deprive myself completely of the things I love. What's the point of that? Some of my friends are hardcore vegans, and I respect their beliefs, but would hate their diets. Because food is important to me. It's a part of my lifestyle and is a part that I am modifying. It's an ongoing process, but I am getting there.

I get that you're at your target weight now, and congratulations, that's great. I am not, and every day is a struggle for me, like it is for many people on here.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    The whole "fool" comment was not needed at all. Nobody here is a fool - except the person who thinks their way is the only way.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Really?!? I cant believe some of the responses on this post. #1 you have no idea what kind of "life experiance" this girl has had. By the time I was 19 I had more life experience than most 40yr olds.

So what if she was a bit preachy and had an eating disorder in the past. She is making up for it now, trying to do the right thing.

You cant possibly be shocked that fast food, processed food, and chemically altered food is bad for you. I eat junk all the time knowing that its not good even in moderation.

Everyone is so quick to judge here, if a post pop's up that even hints on the negative. I see a ton of responses like...Maybe they were having a bad day. Dont put the original OP down...etc. Yet most people jumped all over this girl like a pack of hyenas because she dared to tell you what your eating is garbage. You know its garbage :/

Cmon really???

SMH....
    Please enlighten me and tell me exactly what part of that post I posted was judgemental to anyone?

You are judging us for "jumping on her like a pack of hyenas" as it was phrased.

Is it not normal for one to lash out when they get attacked? Perhaps people viewed this as a direct attack on them. A lot of people here are changing their lifestyle from something that was varying degrees of unhealthy to something better. That isn't something that happens overnight. Seeing posts like this is like kicking someone for trying because them trying isn't good enough. I can't blame people for getting ticked off at the OP.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm going to apologize for keeping this thread alive but can I ask you something? Since you are sooooo natural, if you are having a heart attack at 45 because of genetics and something just broke inside of you, do I just look at you and say, hhhmmm so I have to give you these drugs, like aspirin, blood thinners, and pain meds like morphine, Do you refuse because you don't take pain meds (just drink teas) and you die? Soooo, what world do you live in.....Obviously not mine:wink:

And have you been physically/fat challanged all your life?hehehe...I love the way that sounds.:wink:
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    I prefer the term.... Twinkie Challeged!!! :laugh:
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I thought this was perfect and might lighten the mood........
    No disrespect to anyone just thought was funny

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!""

X
  • live2smyle
    Options

Cmon really???

SMH....

You are judging us for "jumping on her like a pack of hyenas" as it was phrased.

Is it not normal for one to lash out when they get attacked? Perhaps people viewed this as a direct attack on them. A lot of people here are changing their lifestyle from something that was varying degrees of unhealthy to something better. That isn't something that happens overnight. Seeing posts like this is like kicking someone for trying because them trying isn't good enough. I can't blame people for getting ticked off at the OP.
    This is not judging, this was an observation. The original OP put her opinion out there on processed foods. And was jumped on for it. Just like the original OP I never pointed my finger at anyone in particular. And unlike the OP who never said anything to anyone specifically...Her age was attacked, her food choices were attacked, her photo was attacked...
    Still SMH.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options

Cmon really???

SMH....

This is not judging, this was an observation. The original OP put her opinion out there on processed foods. And was jumped on for it. Just like the original OP I never pointed my finger at anyone in particular. And unlike the OP who never said anything to anyone specifically...Her age was attacked, her food choices were attacked, her photo was attacked...
    Still SMH.

She indirectly attacked every single person who doesn't eat like she does. She called our food poison, accused us of killing ourselves, and "spoke" as though she was more intelligent as us for eating differently. Same thing I have seen other people who shall not be named, so as not to be considered a "personal attack".

Age is often brought up, and I agree, it's wrong. I get called out for only being 27, because I must just be a dumb stupid girl you know who hasn't really lived yet because I'm not 40+.

What you said came across as judgmental to me, and many others. It may not have been your intent, but that is how it came across.
  • jayme03
    jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week that consists of pizza, doughnuts, chocolate and sugary drinks. Why? Because I enjoy food and taste. It's not the enemy. Lack of self control is. Your wonderful brownies probably could make people fat, too.

I couldn't have said it better myself!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The whole "fool" comment was not needed at all. Nobody here is a fool - except the person who thinks their way is the only way.

7991.jpg

It's obviously a typo.

Is this thread STILL going on? Hell, I've had a burger, chunky chips, harissa mayonnaise as well as a roast dinner (all homemade) in that time. I still seem to be breathing luckily. Any second now and the heavy metal poisoning will kick in.

I managed to get a workout in though involving deadlifts, goblets and bench. Hell, my body is a temple too. Maybe that's why some women have liked kneeling before it...

I don't think there is any need to be overly harsh on the OP. I think she was well intentioned but poorly expressed.
  • jayme03
    jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh and just because it says it's Organic--IT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S GOOD FOR YOU.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options

But.... that 2lb box of brownies SAYS its ORGANIC! That means I get the whole box Riiiiiiiite?

rofl
  • live2smyle
    Options

She indirectly attacked every single person who doesn't eat like she does. She called our food poison, accused us of killing ourselves, and "spoke" as though she was more intelligent as us for eating differently. Same thing I have seen other people who shall not be named, so as not to be considered a "personal attack".

Age is often brought up, and I agree, it's wrong. I get called out for only being 27, because I must just be a dumb stupid girl you know who hasn't really lived yet because I'm not 40+.

What you said came across as judgmental to me, and many others. It may not have been your intent, but that is how it came across.
    It was not meant to be judgmental. I also dont think that you should be speaking for "many others". Here is my question though, I didnt see the original post as an "attack". I wonder why so many people did. Do you really think that processed foods and fast food arent poison for the body? That is my question. I mean did it ever cross your mind that McDonalds was healthy good for you kind of stuff? I dont understand why her post made so many people so angry to the point of attacking the original OP regarding her choices, age etc. This is not news to anyone. I would assume (my mother always warned me about assuming) that most people over the age of 20 now know that highly processed foods are not good for you. It's everywhere. The media, your doctor's offices, schools, bus stop adds...She was offering suggestions to some of the choices, she came back on the post more than once to apologise for how brash it sounded. Yet it continued. That behavior was not warranted.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Just as I'm entitled to the opinion that what you're describing sounds like sheer hell and utter torture. For me, like many others, food it not just fuel. I enjoy it, I like sitting down to a meal with friends and just talking. It's a social thing. It's also frickin' delicious. I enjoy food, and I ate realitively healthily, I just had massive portions. Now, I'm fifteen pounds down from, guess what? Having things in moderation.

I made informed choices when I ate junk food. I knew it was bad for me. I wasn't deluding myself into thinking that Mcdonalds or whatever was healthy. I'm not an idiot. But it was still my choice to eat them. I used to drink one (or more) bottles of coke every day. Now, I sometimes, maybe once a week, treat myself to a can of diet coke after I've swam a mile in the pool and you know what? I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I'm damn prpoud of myself for cutting down so much on Coke because I was absolutely addicted. I also sometimes eat some chocolate, but I always, ALWAYS add it to my calorie goal. And I'm still losing weight and feeling healthier.

You probably had good intentions with this post, but you've come across as incredibly condescening and preachy. Your backtracking in comments aren't helping either. But, whatever, I wish you luck with your journey. Just maybe try to step down off your soapbox next time, and actually respectfully disagree with something when you claim to in the title, instead of alienating people and making them feel bad for not being able (or wanting) to live your lifestyle

But food is supposed to be just that, fool. That is why I see so many here that keep losing the same pounds over and over. And once upon a time that was me also.

Food is fuel and should be enjoyed through mindful eating. Not because it is a holiday, someone's birthday, wedding, anniversary, etc............Being around the people you love and care about should be about that, not the food.

I am so thankfully happy that I eat similar to the OP and I no longer have to worry about "calorie goals" and planning what I am going to eat..............with the lifestyle I live, I don't have to calorie count which gives an unbelievable amount of freedom with my lifestyle............

Yes, it was a typo, supposed to be Just that, FOOD
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Hopefully they are not eating organic, yet processed foods like I see on the shelves at Whole Foods. Kind of defeats the purpose.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I shop at a local coop that sells organic and locally produced foods. I rarely see an overweight person there. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen an overweight person there. When I go to Walmart, I rarely see a normal-sized person there.
    From what I hear, Walmart sells fattening food. I've never seen one of their stores myself. However what you are seeing is not necessarily a direct result of organic and locally produced foods being less fattening; they can be just as high in calories as non-organic foods. What you are seeing is partly doe to the widely divergent health awareness factor which is sadly prevalent in differing socio-economic groups.

This particular store takes food stamps, and there are many poor/er people in my town appreciate healthy food. I actually think the food there is probably less fattening because people who shop their care about their health, so the store doesn't have foods with trans fats, HFCS or even much sugar. And the processed foods, in general, take up a very small section compared to the regular supermarket that has aisles and aisles of it. When I go to the regular supermarket, I am limited to a very tiny section of foods that I can choose from, but at this store, I can buy almost anything and it'll pretty much be fine in terms of being healthy and non-fattening.

My point was/is however, that not everyone eats at McDonalds and not everyone wants to; and not everyone would take offence to the OP's comments. The audience here is not the general public. They are a group of people struggling with bad eating habits and weight. It is not necessarily the exception to eat healthy foods. There are a lot of people like the OP and it is becoming more mainstream. Even Walmart has jumped on the organic food wagon. My other point is that moderation is relative to the person who uses the term.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    For the record, I don't eat any fast food. BUT I am not going to come on here preaching that MY way is the only way and those people who DO eat it are "poisoning" themselves... The correct use of words is important in computer mediated communication.

You'll lose weight eating cookies if you only eat 1200 calories of cookies a day. I'm not saying it's good, but implying that people are doing it wrong isn't right.

It works for them, fan-freaking-tastic. It would NOT work for me. I might keep it up for a week, maybe even a month, but after that I'd want some of that "poison" because I don't eat to fuel myself alone. I eat to enjoy food.

There, I spoke for myself alone, happy now?