everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Here's the bottom line for me....

Being on a superhuman diet for 5 or 6 months makes your opinion mean nothing to me.

Seeing these people on MFP who have lost 50 and 100 pounds eating in moderation - Now THAT is an inspiration. You can practice what you preach for 6 months or a year on these food choices. But 100 to 1 says you will be sneaking a cheeseburger before you meet your maker.

If you really are an expert, perhaps spreading your vast knowledge on a site that promotes this lifestyle might be better received than here. These people are normal people just trying to improve their way of life day by day.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I agree if we were meant to put chemicals into our body than they would have been here for us like meat, veg, grains, and fruits. And not configured in some lab.

I'm trying hard to discipline my self and hope to one day eat clean..and only clean.

With that logic we'd all be dead of smallpox. It's called evolution.

LOL yes, screw all scientific discoveries!!! NO MORE BIRTH CONTROL EITHER!!!! Only because it's not natural.

WIll you stop wearing deoderant too? I mean, you're slathering a chemical all over your stinky armpits.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I'mma let you finish
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

fdh.jpg
    Absolutely LOVE this, Wonder!! LMAO (again, day #2)
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Imagine peak health as a shining beacon at the top of a long staircase.
    Most people who are on MFP start at the bottom, eating nothing but these processed unhealthy foods. Often it's all they know--they were raised with it.
    With every step, the MFP-er gets closer to that shining beacon of health. It takes time, though, and a gradual alteration of attitude and physical composition.
    Switching from processed to organic is like giving up drugs cold turkey. There are physical side effects.
    Same goes for the mind's adaptation to a new lifestyle. If the body goes one way but the mind isn't ready, people will fall off of this allegorical staircase, or at least tumble down to a lower step.
    No, the junk food is not good in any way, shape, or form. But if a person is able to go from eating 90% unhealthy and 10% healthy to 50%-50%, that's a tremendous change. If they can go from that to 30% unhealthy-70% healthy, that's even greater of a progress. The indulgences are still bad, but they're BETTER than what they're used to. It takes gradual adaptation of the body and mind to reach that beacon of health that you've been able to get so close to.

So when people say "everything in moderation" I imagine that's what they mean--don't deprive yourself of something terrible for you if it means you'll end up doing even worse later. Forgive yourself, avoid the cortisol explosion of stress (which can cause worse indulgences) and move on up that staircase.

You are very smart and kind.

This is exactly right. We have goals, not requirements. We have success, not perfection.

I agree eating healthy is the goal. It will take a while. There are habits to unlearn. There are comfort foods to be dealt with. (My theory is that we eat comfort foods because we need comfort; take away that comfort food and we will STILL need comfort, and it will likely be something worse, so unless we find out why we need the comfort, we'll always be looking for the "fix.")

No one shamed me when I started, even though my sodium intake was enough to replenish the Dead Sea. MFP and a helpful friend pointed out that I was consistently going over the 2500mg "limit"; was there something I could do about that? That encouraged me to look at the sodium column and gradually I've been reducing my dependence upon processed foods.

I don't think anyone's opinions should be discounted. It's great to be reminded that we really are designed to eat better food than we're eating. 100,000 years of human existence didn't occur because cavemen had Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies for dessert, and one of the first processed foods was beer, so there's a long history for that.

We can just look at what we're eating, compare it to what is known to be good, and gradually change our eating habits.

There is room for the "real talk" and there is room for the "get real" talk. I appreciate hearing everyone's opinions. It's part of growing up and becoming more like a real boy (says Pinocchio).
  • Mtsidad
    Options
    And how interesting how this is the cause of such anger on both sides! I don't think our bodies are our temple, but I'm thinking that food is our god!
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Why? Because that Snickers or that cookie are GODDAMN DELICIOUS and I will not refuse myself occasional, tasty pleasure that way. My body is not a temple, my body is a convenient mode of transport for my sense of humour, thanks.

Meanwhile, I'm straight edge, so I don't smoke, do drugs or drink gigantic cocktails, either.
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Imagine peak health as a shining beacon at the top of a long staircase.

Mmmm, beacon. Sorry, bacon. Mmmm, bacon.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    And how interesting how this is the cause of such anger on both sides! I don't think our bodies are our temple, but I'm thinking that food is our god!
    Personally, I'm not angry about her opinions about her way of eating. It was the delivery of said opinions, She could have gotten her point across without being self-righteous, condscending and then proceed to start bashing Americans. She's 26 years old. I'm 56 and I still don't "wag my finger" and tell others how to live their lives. You need to reread her original post.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Well thanks for being so judgmental of what works for others. Guess what? If I don't indulge on occasion, I binge. Guess what is healthier for me? Moderation.

If you want to live your life never having a hamburger or an ice cream sundae ever again? That is your prerogative.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP. You CAN eat any damn thing you want, whenever you want but that doesn't mean it doesn't come at a cost. If i decide to go get that big FAT juicy burger from a fast food joint with fries i can do just that. The difference is i'll eat light the rest of the day so that my daily caloric intake is healthy ie maintenance or below. The problem is most people don't know what moderation is. In fact its a safe bet to say that over 50% of those on this site who have lost weight will gain it all back plus some because they fall back into there unhealthy eating habits that got them here to begin with.

Personally speaking i'm going to like i said eat what i want whenever i want but i'm not going to gain back the weight i've lost as it's simply to much HARD work to waste the effort and have to do it all over again. I feel good and look even better. I'm almost thin again and i like it. I like going out in public and not being one of the FAT 80-90% American crowd i live among. Most of them are fat because they are undisciplined over eaters or poor eaters. Yesterday i ate some delicious German Chocolate cake yummy, I may not eat cake for a month or longer but if i want something i'm going to indulge in it.

Yesterday we bought a Take and Bake Pizza and cooked it up. I put 2 slices on my plate but only ate one. I could of ate the 2nd but i was full after the first so i stopped. I made the choice and saved 500+ calories from the daily total. You can't stop eating what you love and keep weight off. What a miserable life that would be not doing what you love. For what its worth my weight gain over the years was not from unhealthy eating it was from over eating and drinking too much beer :). My diet itself was nearly all meats and veggies/fruits.

So yeah you CAN eat anything you want if kept to sensible portions and in moderation.

THIS is what I mean by a lifestyle change! Making that conscious effort to scale it back a bit, but not give up what you love.

Some years ago, I responded to the stress I was experiencing in the moment by driving to Mickey D's and getting a peppermint MFflurry. I parked on a side street and concentrated on eating the treat....and had an "aha!" moment. I really did feel better! Calmer, less worried. It felt GOOD. I remember looking at the empty glass thinking "there literally IS comfort food!" This must be brain chemistry thing.

This is part of what's missing in they OP's black-and-white rant. There are other reasons that nutrition/fitness people choose the food they eat, and I believe that this needs to be respected rather than criticized.

I believe that making a change in eating isn't about keeping ourselves from eating the foods that make us feel good, it's about finding other more healthy foods that genuinely prompt the same feeling instead.

Since that realization, it's been a long and slow journey to wean myself off comfort food that doesn't support my wellness and find comfort food that does a better job. McFlurry's have not been on the list for a long time now, but there have been other foods of the same type that have hung around. I'm happy to report, though, that eating grape tomatoes like popcorn is very comforting to me, and my home-dehydrated banana slices are fast becoming thought of as candy (150 calories for 1 ounce, which is about 8 slices...if I really indulged myself I'd pack away 500 calories really fast!) instead of a snickers bar.

Each of us needs to approach this lifestyle thing in our own way, and take whatever time it takes for us to be successful. What we don't need is anyone "yelling" at us about what we should be doing (regardless of how accurate they are). Yes, most of us need to shift our food choices and increase/decrease certain types of food. But we don't need to be pounded on self-righteously by someone who doesn't have enough to life experience to temper her viewpoint or expression.
  • Mtsidad
    Options
    I did re-read her post. I don't agree with it, yet I am finding it useful to remind myself of how powerful food can be in my life, and how glad I am that I'm learning to be in charge of what I eat.

Food is just a huge thing for people like me.

That's what so interesting about the range of people who are on MFP. And the secret of success is that we're all trying to get healthy. We will make mistakes along the way.
  • julie_a_griffin
    julie_a_griffin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Just as I'm entitled to the opinion that what you're describing sounds like sheer hell and utter torture. For me, like many others, food it not just fuel. I enjoy it, I like sitting down to a meal with friends and just talking. It's a social thing. It's also frickin' delicious. I enjoy food, and I ate realitively healthily, I just had massive portions. Now, I'm fifteen pounds down from, guess what? Having things in moderation.

I made informed choices when I ate junk food. I knew it was bad for me. I wasn't deluding myself into thinking that Mcdonalds or whatever was healthy. I'm not an idiot. But it was still my choice to eat them. I used to drink one (or more) bottles of coke every day. Now, I sometimes, maybe once a week, treat myself to a can of diet coke after I've swam a mile in the pool and you know what? I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I'm damn prpoud of myself for cutting down so much on Coke because I was absolutely addicted. I also sometimes eat some chocolate, but I always, ALWAYS add it to my calorie goal. And I'm still losing weight and feeling healthier.

You probably had good intentions with this post, but you've come across as incredibly condescening and preachy. Your backtracking in comments aren't helping either. But, whatever, I wish you luck with your journey. Just maybe try to step down off your soapbox next time, and actually respectfully disagree with something when you claim to in the title, instead of alienating people and making them feel bad for not being able (or wanting) to live your lifestyle
  • SoUnaware
    SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here's the bottom line for me....

Being on a superhuman diet for 5 or 6 months makes your opinion mean nothing to me.

Seeing these people on MFP who have lost 50 and 100 pounds eating in moderation - Now THAT is an inspiration. You can practice what you preach for 6 months or a year on these food choices. But 100 to 1 says you will be sneaking a cheeseburger before you meet your maker.

If you really are an expert, perhaps spreading your vast knowledge on a site that promotes this lifestyle might be better received than here. These people are normal people just trying to improve their way of life day by day.

THIS! Amen, girl.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Food is not the enemy. Eating one candy bar is not going to hurt me. Ever. Eating an entire bag of candy bars.... now that's when it gets to be a problem.

And there have been times when I was severely depressed and ate entirely too many candy bars. Not a whole bag at once, but a whole bag over the course of a few days. Am I proud of that? No. But did it do lasting damage? NO. It got me through a very bad time in my life. It kept me moving forward. It gave me comfort.

And now, just six months later, I'm on the verge of turning 39 and at the healthiest and most fit I've EVER been. Emotionally and physically. My heart and lungs are strong. I have endurance. I can run, which I could never, ever do when I was young and thin and thought I was healthy. I've dropped my body fat percentage from about 30% to about 22%.

And I eat pizza - in abundance, not moderation - about once a week. I eat chocolate when the mood strikes me, just not the entire bag anymore. I adore Diet Dr Pepper. And ice cream. I don't particularly LIKE most fast food, but in certain situations, it hits the spot.

Having nothing off limits is what works for me, because it means that nothing I do is a failure. I feel no guilt over it. I think it's the guilt that gets people. They feel like they screwed up because they're not perfect (like everyone else!), so they figure they might as well stop. The way I look at it, a binge or splurge or even a weight gain... that's not a failure. At most, it's a detour. If you were driving to a destination, let's say going to the ocean on vacation, and you made a wrong turn, you wouldn't say, "Ah, screw it. Let's just go home!" Nope, you'd check your map or recalculate your GPS, and get back on course. Accept that detours are a way of life, and you won't fail.
  • NanoReefDiver
    NanoReefDiver Posts: 153
    Options
    It's great you are willing and able to live such a healthy lifestyle. While I believe in 'everything in moderation' I still think your lifestyle is inspiring. Kudos! :flowerforyou:
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Really?!? I cant believe some of the responses on this post. #1 you have no idea what kind of "life experiance" this girl has had. By the time I was 19 I had more life experience than most 40yr olds.

So what if she was a bit preachy and had an eating disorder in the past. She is making up for it now, trying to do the right thing.

You cant possibly be shocked that fast food, processed food, and chemically altered food is bad for you. I eat junk all the time knowing that its not good even in moderation.

Everyone is so quick to judge here, if a post pop's up that even hints on the negative. I see a ton of responses like...Maybe they were having a bad day. Dont put the original OP down...etc. Yet most people jumped all over this girl like a pack of hyenas because she dared to tell you what your eating is garbage. You know its garbage :/

Cmon really???

SMH....
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    That's a lovely theory.

And those of us who don't own an oven? Or can't afford organic? Or work long hours?
    Sorry, while I didn't take offense, and thought it was a lovely bit o' prose, for some people those aren't viable options.

Splurging for me is going someplace and having someone cook for me. No organic restaurants in my neck of the woods.

So, you do what's good for you, and I'll do what's good for me and the two of us shall live happily ever after.

Affording organic is easy.... Hit up your local farmers market or simply buy what is on sale. Cuts down costs and increases variety as things on sale are different every week.

Or, buy the "dirty dozen" items organic and buy the rest conventional vegetables.

Work Long hours? Well, I am going from 3:45 am - until after 10 pm at night. Sundays are cooking and prep day for me. Cut up and clean fruits and veggies well in advance, put in containers and you have them all week long. Boil your eggs so you can grab and go. Always cook left overs and take them in containers with you.

Bag your nuts so you have them readily available as snacks.

I am sorry, but I find the whole "I work long hours", my kids have practice, all as excuses. If you want a different lifestyle, you find the time to do so accordingly.

I currently work 2 jobs (1 full time, 1 part time), cook breakfast every morning for my husband and I, take care of our dogs (includes training, play time and walks), the house, pay bills, do shopping, workout and study for classes (going full time), make my own cleaning supplies, cook everything from scratch and still have time for me (getting hair, nails, tanning, massage and facials).

It just takes time and dedication.

I agree whole heartedly with the OP.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Really?!? I cant believe some of the responses on this post. #1 you have no idea what kind of "life experiance" this girl has had. By the time I was 19 I had more life experience than most 40yr olds.

So what if she was a bit preachy and had an eating disorder in the past. She is making up for it now, trying to do the right thing.

You cant possibly be shocked that fast food, processed food, and chemically altered food is bad for you. I eat junk all the time knowing that its not good even in moderation.

Everyone is so quick to judge here, if a post pop's up that even hints on the negative. I see a ton of responses like...Maybe they were having a bad day. Dont put the original OP down...etc. Yet most people jumped all over this girl like a pack of hyenas because she dared to tell you what your eating is garbage. You know its garbage :/

Cmon really???

SMH....

This is my opinion and only mine.............

I believe that the OP has hit some nerves with some of the posters and they are quick to put her down because they know she is right and don't want to confront the fact that they are not willing to do the work to completely change their lifestyle.........

So the everything in moderation excuse comes into play. Just my 2 cents.
  • Grokette
    Options
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Just as I'm entitled to the opinion that what you're describing sounds like sheer hell and utter torture. For me, like many others, food it not just fuel. I enjoy it, I like sitting down to a meal with friends and just talking. It's a social thing. It's also frickin' delicious. I enjoy food, and I ate realitively healthily, I just had massive portions. Now, I'm fifteen pounds down from, guess what? Having things in moderation.

I made informed choices when I ate junk food. I knew it was bad for me. I wasn't deluding myself into thinking that Mcdonalds or whatever was healthy. I'm not an idiot. But it was still my choice to eat them. I used to drink one (or more) bottles of coke every day. Now, I sometimes, maybe once a week, treat myself to a can of diet coke after I've swam a mile in the pool and you know what? I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I'm damn prpoud of myself for cutting down so much on Coke because I was absolutely addicted. I also sometimes eat some chocolate, but I always, ALWAYS add it to my calorie goal. And I'm still losing weight and feeling healthier.

You probably had good intentions with this post, but you've come across as incredibly condescening and preachy. Your backtracking in comments aren't helping either. But, whatever, I wish you luck with your journey. Just maybe try to step down off your soapbox next time, and actually respectfully disagree with something when you claim to in the title, instead of alienating people and making them feel bad for not being able (or wanting) to live your lifestyle

But food is supposed to be just that, fool. That is why I see so many here that keep losing the same pounds over and over. And once upon a time that was me also.

Food is fuel and should be enjoyed through mindful eating. Not because it is a holiday, someone's birthday, wedding, anniversary, etc............Being around the people you love and care about should be about that, not the food.

I am so thankfully happy that I eat similar to the OP and I no longer have to worry about "calorie goals" and planning what I am going to eat..............with the lifestyle I live, I don't have to calorie count which gives an unbelievable amount of freedom with my lifestyle............
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    Fear mongering will get you nowhere.
    Saying I'm poisoning my body with the foods I like to eat will get you nowhere.

It's great that you can live an organic life-style. That obviously works well for you. You're getting healthy the way you feel comfortable. Kudos for getting healthy and feeling good about it.
    But guess what? I've lost the weight that I've lost by eating in moderation. That's actually the point of this website. Tracking your food intake so that you eat less. If it weren't for moderation I'd be growing instead of shrinking.

I don't think I'll die because I want my sister's birthday cake to be funny colors and use food coloring to change the icing.

There are some things you should never consume because they poison your body. Like rat poisoning. But one single twinkie won't kill anyone. Unless of course they have go into Anaphylactic shock due to being allergic to an ingredient in the twinkie and can't get to a hospital in time.