everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think the giant turn-off is when anyone proclaims that their way is the ONLY way. That all others are WRONG.

I choose what I perceive to be higher-quality carbs, and because they are calorie dense, I choose to eat less of them than other stuff. I pick whole grain over bleached white, I choose fruit more often than I choose processed refined sugar. This is working really well for me. That said, sometimes I do want a big sugary piece of cake, and I'm not going to live the rest of my life denying myself that ability. The most important thing MFP has taught me is to be aware of what I'm eating. So on the day I do have that piece of cake, I'm going to increase my exercise, and I'm not going to also indulge in a big steak or cocktails as well.

I just REALLY dislike the almost religious fervor some people work themselves up to...saying things like "it's NEVER ok to have a soda(even diet!)/sugar/grains/carbs!" is utterly ridiculous to my way of thinking. And I believe it causes others to be discouraged. New MFP users are learning about how to have a healthy relationship with food. If they hear the message, "you are a failure because you ate a brownie" they are more likely to leave this wonderful site. THAT'S the real tragedy, IMHO.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm really shocked that people LIKE McDonalds. I never knew...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

It just takes time and dedication.

You all are clearly just not dedicated enough....

Don't you see how very condescending this is?:noway:
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I chuckle, since my hubby's grandparents ate lard, yes lard, used it in cooking, smoked, drank and pretty sure didn't eat "healthy" yet they LIVED their lives to the fullest for their generation - and lived happily into their 90s! Maybe we need to go back to their way of life, lol! I live the way my family lives. What about the 35-yo marathon runner, keeled over of a heart attack? Ate healthy, ran every day? We can do what we can to make ourselves healthy, but the bigger plan for any of us - who knows! Everybody has a right to their opinion, but it's not always the right option for everybody! Have a great Sunday; the weekend's winding down -- boo-hoo!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    But food is supposed to be just that, fool.

Wow. I hope that's a typo...
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Really?!? I cant believe some of the responses on this post. #1 you have no idea what kind of "life experiance" this girl has had. By the time I was 19 I had more life experience than most 40yr olds.

So what if she was a bit preachy and had an eating disorder in the past. She is making up for it now, trying to do the right thing.

You cant possibly be shocked that fast food, processed food, and chemically altered food is bad for you. I eat junk all the time knowing that its not good even in moderation.

Everyone is so quick to judge here, if a post pop's up that even hints on the negative. I see a ton of responses like...Maybe they were having a bad day. Dont put the original OP down...etc. Yet most people jumped all over this girl like a pack of hyenas because she dared to tell you what your eating is garbage. You know its garbage :/

Cmon really???

SMH....
    Actually...telling someone its "poison" verses "no real nutritional value" are 2 total diff things and had the OP chose better words I dont think it would be a hot topic....I'm sure plenty of things in the air are harmful and poisonous ..and Im sure the OP doesnt walk around with a gas mask on....... one really has to take a look at themselves before ranting on others regarding their personal choices.....personally I dont want to live to be 100 eating buckwheat pancakes and barley flour brownies ..or whatever .....I would rather live to be 99 and have my snickers icecream ......its choices ...its what life is all about.....Food is fuel true enough but I was born with taste buds and I dont care if they only make up 0.1% of my body ..Im going to use them..
  • irenerose25
    irenerose25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think everyone here is trying their best and THAT'S why they get offended. Not because they are using "moderation" as an excuse. It gets so old listening to people who think that the way they do things is the only right way. I am glad you are happy with your lifestyle. Live and let live.

Oh and btw does having your nose stuck up in the air burn more calories? If so, I may have to try it.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm really shocked that people LIKE McDonalds. I never knew...

:drinker:
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Can't get this to show as a quote, but oh well...

[/quote] This is my opinion and only mine.............

I believe that the OP has hit some nerves with some of the posters and they are quick to put her down because they know she is right and don't want to confront the fact that they are not willing to do the work to completely change their lifestyle.........

So the everything in moderation excuse comes into play. Just my 2 cents.
    [/quote]

I think you are making a huge judgement here. The point of this sight isn't to judge other people's choices. I know that in theory the concepts that the OP made are accurate and I believe that most people do. But to disagree with the extreme nature of her point of view, for whatever reason doesn't mean that I am not willing towork hard. That is the attitude that everyone is so upset about. There is a huge difference between saying this is what works for me and I thought I would share in case you are interested in trying this and saying you should do it my way because that is the only way to do it.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Why? Because that Snickers or that cookie are GODDAMN DELICIOUS and I will not refuse myself occasional, tasty pleasure that way. My body is not a temple, my body is a convenient mode of transport for my sense of humour, thanks.

hee hee on the "humor transportation". and the bacon ... mmmmm :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    But food is supposed to be just that, fool.

Wow. I hope that's a typo...

if not it's incredibly judgmental. :noway:
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I think people are at different stages of the get-healthy process... so for some people not having the whole Snickers bar may just be a victory, and making the transition away from grains and dairy (for the most part) but still occasionally indulging for me is a victory. It's moderation. Moderation doesn't mean half the time for me, it means maybe 10 or 15% of the time, maybe once or twice a week.

We all have different definitions of what we should take in moderation, too. For me, I'm not about to sprint with intervals every single day of the week. But I will try to walk nearly every day and not do that in 'moderation.' I don't drink soda or fruit juice at all - I drink water, coffee, tea, and the very occasional Propel Zero. For me, I don't think about moderation there because I don't even want to taste soft drinks. For grains, I'm trying very hard to just get rid of them in general, and I haven't had them in 4 days. I used to binge like crazy on these foods, but I think trying to be 'moderate' about them would be harmful for me.

Some things are pretty terrible for us and when we think 'moderation' we should probably think about once every two weeks, or once a month, or less (processed foods, high sugar foods, etc.) But for me, having a bit of dark chocolate every day with coffee, or having frozen yogurt twice a week, that's helpful and my version of 'moderation.'

In addition, trying to go to an extreme without middle ground might set you up for failure, so maybe when you transition from one lifestyle to another, moderation isn't so terrible for a little while. Again I think moderation is in the eye of the beholder in some ways... Personally, vegetable oils, grains, most dairy (except full fat cream, butter and occasionally cheese), and sugary-processed foods should be nearly eliminated, but my moderation means having them once in a blue moon, and not so much that I go overboard.

Okay I'm done now haha
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think that if the OP's post were viewed by people who are not struggling with their weight, the responses would have been very different. The fact is, there is a large portion of healthy people of normal weight who eat healthy food. They probably say that they eat in "moderation", too, but I would bet that what they mean by moderation is quite different from what is meant by people struggling to change a lifetime of bad habits. I shop at a local coop that sells organic and locally produced foods. I rarely see an overweight person there. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen an overweight person there. When I go to Walmart, I rarely see a normal-sized person there. Almost everyone has a weight problem. And, if I were to ever go into a McD's, I think I would see a lot of overweight people there, too. My point is that as people go through the journey of getting to and maintaining a normal weight, they will naturally have to drop most of the processed and junk food that they now eat in "moderation"; otherwise they will never win the battle. They will yo-yo. The word "moderation" will have a different meaning. For me moderation means one BITE of my husband's dessert maybe once every couple of months. That's my treat. And, even the OP's brownies sound way to sweet for my liking. But that's just me, and where I am on my journey.

After posting this I noticed the post right before mine: absie107. Guess I should have read hers first. Same thoughts!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Dawntodusk-your observation about the size of people in different places is interesting. When we first moved to Colorado from Kentucky 15 years ago, almost everyone I saw was thin or normal weight. The healthy lifestyle here is contagious and I quickly learned to take advantage of the nice outdoor conditions and move more!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't think it comes as any shock that some foods - colas, McDonalds, other processed foods, etc - are not good for us. My problem with the OP is that I'm probably as knowledgable on the food thing as she is, but don't choose to live that way (because I'm one of those strange individuals who actually love food). I also don't feel the need to preach to others who are successfully changing their lives their own way. As you get older, you start to understand that just because you believe something, doesn't necessarily make it right or true. And others really don't care what you think. (I will still fight like hell over our military though! LOL)

I'm proud to know MFP members who have made life altering changes to their bodies and lives - and still eat a snickers bar sometimes.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options

You all are clearly just not dedicated enough....

Don't you see how very condescending this is?:noway:

I do.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. Just as I'm entitled to the opinion that what you're describing sounds like sheer hell and utter torture. For me, like many others, food it not just fuel. I enjoy it, I like sitting down to a meal with friends and just talking. It's a social thing. It's also frickin' delicious. I enjoy food, and I ate realitively healthily, I just had massive portions. Now, I'm fifteen pounds down from, guess what? Having things in moderation.

I made informed choices when I ate junk food. I knew it was bad for me. I wasn't deluding myself into thinking that Mcdonalds or whatever was healthy. I'm not an idiot. But it was still my choice to eat them. I used to drink one (or more) bottles of coke every day. Now, I sometimes, maybe once a week, treat myself to a can of diet coke after I've swam a mile in the pool and you know what? I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I'm damn prpoud of myself for cutting down so much on Coke because I was absolutely addicted. I also sometimes eat some chocolate, but I always, ALWAYS add it to my calorie goal. And I'm still losing weight and feeling healthier.

You probably had good intentions with this post, but you've come across as incredibly condescening and preachy. Your backtracking in comments aren't helping either. But, whatever, I wish you luck with your journey. Just maybe try to step down off your soapbox next time, and actually respectfully disagree with something when you claim to in the title, instead of alienating people and making them feel bad for not being able (or wanting) to live your lifestyle

But food is supposed to be just that, fool. That is why I see so many here that keep losing the same pounds over and over. And once upon a time that was me also.

Food is fuel and should be enjoyed through mindful eating. Not because it is a holiday, someone's birthday, wedding, anniversary, etc............Being around the people you love and care about should be about that, not the food.

I am so thankfully happy that I eat similar to the OP and I no longer have to worry about "calorie goals" and planning what I am going to eat..............with the lifestyle I live, I don't have to calorie count which gives an unbelievable amount of freedom with my lifestyle............
    And name-calling will get your point across quicker??? Whoa.....unbelievable.....:huh:
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Really?!? I cant believe some of the responses on this post. #1 you have no idea what kind of "life experiance" this girl has had. By the time I was 19 I had more life experience than most 40yr olds.

So what if she was a bit preachy and had an eating disorder in the past. She is making up for it now, trying to do the right thing.

You cant possibly be shocked that fast food, processed food, and chemically altered food is bad for you. I eat junk all the time knowing that its not good even in moderation.

Everyone is so quick to judge here, if a post pop's up that even hints on the negative. I see a ton of responses like...Maybe they were having a bad day. Dont put the original OP down...etc. Yet most people jumped all over this girl like a pack of hyenas because she dared to tell you what your eating is garbage. You know its garbage :/

Cmon really???

SMH....
    And, you're not judging either?? Come on....Pot meet kettle....:huh:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    And, if I were to ever go into a McD's, I think I would see a lot of overweight people there, too.
    If most of a fast food outlet's customers are fat, it does not necessarily follow that most of the people who are eating that food in moderation are also fat.

At any one time most of the fat people you'll see there are fat because they are the ones eating fast food junk every day, so those are the majority of the people you'd see in any one visit, because statistically they visit there far more often.

I've never seen any evidence to show that one fast food meal a month, balanced by healthier eating at other times, will have any averse effects on the body. And no, I never eat stuff like that myself, nor am I saying people should or should not, I'm just pointing out the statistical anomaly.
    I shop at a local coop that sells organic and locally produced foods. I rarely see an overweight person there. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen an overweight person there. When I go to Walmart, I rarely see a normal-sized person there.
    From what I hear, Walmart sells fattening food. I've never seen one of their stores myself. However what you are seeing is not necessarily a direct result of organic and locally produced foods being less fattening; they can be just as high in calories as non-organic foods. What you are seeing is partly doe to the widely divergent health awareness factor which is sadly prevalent in differing socio-economic groups.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That's a lovely theory.

And those of us who don't own an oven? Or can't afford organic? Or work long hours?
    Sorry, while I didn't take offense, and thought it was a lovely bit o' prose, for some people those aren't viable options.

Splurging for me is going someplace and having someone cook for me. No organic restaurants in my neck of the woods.

So, you do what's good for you, and I'll do what's good for me and the two of us shall live happily ever after.

Affording organic is easy.... Hit up your local farmers market or simply buy what is on sale. Cuts down costs and increases variety as things on sale are different every week.

Or, buy the "dirty dozen" items organic and buy the rest conventional vegetables.

Work Long hours? Well, I am going from 3:45 am - until after 10 pm at night. Sundays are cooking and prep day for me. Cut up and clean fruits and veggies well in advance, put in containers and you have them all week long. Boil your eggs so you can grab and go. Always cook left overs and take them in containers with you.

Bag your nuts so you have them readily available as snacks.

I am sorry, but I find the whole "I work long hours", my kids have practice, all as excuses. If you want a different lifestyle, you find the time to do so accordingly.

I currently work 2 jobs (1 full time, 1 part time), cook breakfast every morning for my husband and I, take care of our dogs (includes training, play time and walks), the house, pay bills, do shopping, workout and study for classes (going full time), make my own cleaning supplies, cook everything from scratch and still have time for me (getting hair, nails, tanning, massage and facials).

I agree whole heartedly with the OP.

I wasn't offended because I felt "threatened" because I think the OP is right. I was offended because I was basically attacked for not being just like her. The whole condescending attitude about what people eat is ridiculous. I have read SEVERAL of your posts, and nearly ALL of them are condescending to anyone who doesn't choose your lifestyle.

It's great that it works for you, now stop trying to shove it down everyone's throats, because it may not work for them.

Food is MORE than fuel, food is something to ENJOY, otherwise, why exactly are we able to TASTE things?

Edited to add in the quote.