everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be disrespectful. But if you are on MFP to lose weight, have you always followed your own advice? It's easy to say you are gonna do the right thing forever. But actually living that is tough.

The reason why I believe in "everything in moderation" is because this is a lifestyle change. We may not always be in the postition to buy certain foods or shakes (etc). And most everybody wants something BAD from time to time. I believe if Whoppers are your weakness, have one a month. It will help to keep you on track the other 29 or 30 days. But true moderation is knowing you have to follow the 80/20 rule - 80% of the time you eat good. 20% of the time you indulge. And if you are into serious health/fitness,the 90/10 rul applies. JMO.
    a few other people have brought up the expense argument... but isn't it a lot cheaper to make your own brownies than buying a box of pre-made from the grocery store? i bought a bag of barley flour for like $3 and i've made maybe 4 batches of brownies (among a bunch of other things) and i'm not even halfway through it yet. it's been so much cheaper to make my own food.

I do agree with your expense comment. My point of reference was not financial. (My son is in the military and deployed. He wouldn't be able to buy organic. You get my point, right?) My concern with the cheaper,healthier brownies is that if you eat a whole pan, then how healthly are they? So, moderation still applies on the healthy brownies, right? I really agree with the principal of healthy eating. I believe that cokes are EVIL. But I think reality is that we all are going to falter from time to time. So, if healthy eating becomes a way of life mostly, then the 80/20 rule will mean you are eating pretty darn good!
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    I personally don't drink soda - I do however use it to clean limescale build up in my toilet - and having seen how that cleans up I don't actually want to put that in my body. I cook from scratch because I love cooking, and because I look after other peoples children and I cook their dinner every night after school and its far cheaper to make from scratch than it is to buy processed, shop bought stuff. I cook to my taste and my dietry requirements.

I think that there is alot of truth in the OP, I personally do think its important to educate yourself on what it is you are actually eating. I remember when I first heard that the natural colour of Margarine (butter substitute) is grey and they add yellow colouring to make it look like butter - I've not eaten it after that and yet its pegged as being a healthier option. I think that marketing has a lot to answer for - and actually there are alot of foods in supermarkets marketed as 'healthy options' that actually are not particularly healthy when you dissect the ingrediants, so we shouldn't assume that we should be wary of highly processed junk food.

Nowadays I prefer to live with the motto quality not quantity. If I am going to have food or drink i'll choose the very best I can afford at the time and enjoy every sip or mouthful. But I am also mindful that my lifestyle is one I have made for myself after years of making mistakes and everyone else has to take that journey for themselves. If my husband wants to eat a MacDonalds thats up to him - its his body and his decision. When i'm responsible for feeding him or he's responsible for feeding me - he knows we eat my way lol!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Ridiculously interesting topic. I will be reading this later.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    but don't you guys realize it's the american mindset to worry about consequences only after the damage has been done? (i don't mean to sound ethnocentric either, but the majority of people with diet-related illness live in america). since when is information so offensive? how about research for yourselves what the adverse effects of these substances are, then. and if it doesn't concern you, then by all means don't. but don't get offended because i told you twinkies are bad for you. if a smoker was told it would be in his/her best interest to quit smoking, would you all be up in arms about that? why is junk food such a sensitive issue?

Im sorry qouting skinny B*tch is not research (which you did in a earlier thread) Cancer.org Cancer.gov say aspartamine has not been proven to be linked to any of the stuff people say about it.Im not offended by what you say.But if someone comes off like they KNOW everything (which you are ) I will say something about it. They also say cell phones cause cancer,deoderant causes cancer,make up,and many many other things. I have done the research. Smoking has been proven without a DOUBT to cause the things people say it does.Diet soda has not
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be disrespectful. But if you are on MFP to lose weight, have you always followed your own advice? It's easy to say you are gonna do the right thing forever. But actually living that is tough.

The reason why I believe in "everything in moderation" is because this is a lifestyle change. We may not always be in the postition to buy certain foods or shakes (etc). And most everybody wants something BAD from time to time. I believe if Whoppers are your weakness, have one a month. It will help to keep you on track the other 29 or 30 days. But true moderation is knowing you have to follow the 80/20 rule - 80% of the time you eat good. 20% of the time you indulge. And if you are into serious health/fitness,the 90/10 rul applies. JMO.

As I said: I think having a whopper is extreme, that's why it's best infrequently eaten. on the other hand cooking your own food is a thing of moderation, but we live in a world where that is seen as extreme. very strange.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    to the people who get offended by someone telling them Coke is harmful, who cares what i say anyway? if it's that important to you, drink up! i'll even cheers you with my wheat grass shot.
    [/quote]

And I'll have my beer... maybe even an ORGANIC one. They make those ya know! :) However... a wheat grass shot??? Not on your life. YUCK!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You are not the boss of me.
  • smileybsa83
    smileybsa83 Posts: 16
    Options
    how about research for yourselves what the adverse effects of these substances are, then. and if it doesn't concern you, then by all means don't.

As you can see, in my above post, I DID do (very limited) research on the myth of artificial sweeteners causing cancer in humans. Because that's one thing I can agree with...getting information yourself, and then making a decision.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    to the people who get offended by someone telling them Coke is harmful, who cares what i say anyway? if it's that important to you, drink up! i'll even cheers you with my wheat grass shot.

And I'll have my beer... maybe even an ORGANIC one. They make those ya know! :) However... a wheat grass shot??? Not on your life. YUCK!
    [/quote]
    i know, and they make organic soda too. it's really good. i only took a wheat grass shot once and it was disgusting (it was also a dare.)
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    My motto is if it has less than 3 ingrediants (sp?) DONT EAT IT!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    but don't you guys realize it's the american mindset to worry about consequences only after the damage has been done? (i don't mean to sound ethnocentric either, but the majority of people with diet-related illness live in america). since when is information so offensive? how about research for yourselves what the adverse effects of these substances are, then. and if it doesn't concern you, then by all means don't. but don't get offended because i told you twinkies are bad for you. if a smoker was told it would be in his/her best interest to quit smoking, would you all be up in arms about that? why is junk food such a sensitive issue?

It's ALL a sensitive issue. No one wants to be told what they should or shouldn't be doing, especially when they're trying to do better. Honestly, do't really care.. if I wanted the information I would look it up. What people take offense to is being told what they're doing is "wrong". Oh, btw, I'm a smoker too and know that's bad for me as well so I'm sure you'll have a field day with that.
  • SoUnaware
    SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    man, whiny people piss me off. i think its interesting how many people are posting in disagreement with the poster and have a large amount of weight to lose. correlation? maaaybe.

before you go trip out on me, i ate the same way for a long time. its programmed into us at this point. but you know what? you can change it. stop being afraid and wimpy and whiny and make yourself push past 'moderation' into healthy. i make minimum wage and work less than 20 hours a week and i'm a full time college student trying to pay off debt. guess what? i feed myself organically with no HFCS, enriched flour, or gluten on less than $200 a month. and yes, the chipotle i am eating today follows the same guidelines.

its friggen doable. you just have to stop being afraid.

btw, cranberries are red. i really hope the person that made that comment realizes that.
    Wow... seriously? So, I'm assuming you live in a dorm, that is paid for, and you drive a car that your parents paid for (or you don't have one.)
    200 dollars a month in food for one person is INSANE. Some people have that budget for two people (like me) and others, for more. You're living the high life, so stop trying to say that those of us who have to work full time on top of going to school full time are whiny.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow, come on down from your pedestal to the real world. Most people don't care that much about all those things you mentioned. It's quite time consuming and stressful to need to make or check everything you eat all the time. Those are the kind of people that annoy the crap out of their friends when they get together or go out to eat because they're constantly checking everything they put into their mouths and can't just relax and enjoy yourself. People have their own ways of doing things so don't beat on them because you think your way is better.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options

As I said: I think having a whopper is extreme, that's why it's best infrequently eaten. on the other hand cooking your own food is a thing of moderation, but we live in a world where that is seen as extreme. very strange.

You know Iheard on (I think) Fox News that nobody cooks anymore - That most Americans eat out now. I think that is really sad. Cooking and eating in is great family time. I see your point!
  • SoUnaware
    SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow, come on down from your pedestal to the real world. Most people don't care that much about all those things you mentioned. It's quite time consuming and stressful to need to make or check everything you eat all the time. Those are the kind of people that annoy the crap out of their friends when they get together or go out to eat because they're constantly checking everything they put into their mouths and can't just relax and enjoy yourself. People have their own ways of doing things so don't beat on them because you think your way is better.

Agreed. It's tough living with someone who has to check the labels and fret over the food they're eating at the bar. I know. I used to be that person, and my boyfriend almost broke up with me for it. If you can't live and let live, the people around you are just going to go live out their lives somewhere else.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    If I spend all my money buying organic I wont have any left for the strip club,hmmmm over price food or lap dances sCo_hmmthink.gif decisions decisions
  • carolynmittens
    Options

It's ALL a sensitive issue. No one wants to be told what they should or shouldn't be doing, especially when they're trying to do better. Honestly, do't really care.. if I wanted the information I would look it up. What people take offense to is being told what they're doing is "wrong". Oh, btw, I'm a smoker too and know that's bad for me as well so I'm sure you'll have a field day with that.
    of course not. smokers know that smoking is bad. the thing is, a lot of people don't know that "sugar free" can also be very bad. or that diet soda is in no way good for you. i was going to spew a fact on american obesity but stopped myself because i know it was going to come off as "preachy" so i'm gonna stop here. i honestly don't want to come off as preachy. so like i said before, if this topic interests anyone, there's TONS of research out there that they can discover themselves and make their own decision. and good luck to anyone who reconsiders their eating habits - it's a hard change to make but it's worth it (in my HUMBLE [i promise] opinion)
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Everyone experience is different, and what everyone is able to do is different. Thats wonderful that the original poster is able to eat perfectly and not put anything harmful into her body ever, but thats not reality for most of us. I live in a small town, with incredibly high grocery prices to begin with(organic is way out of the question, it would be $8 for milk!) 3 kids with different allergies to cook around, and a busy schedule.

Do we eat eggo waffles and pop tarts? No. Do we swing through Mcdonalds once in awhlie after a busy day? You bet we do. If I had umlimited income, energy and time, we wuold eat the best we could every day, but when it comes own to reality, we work with what we've got. We eat the best we can, and when we can't we don't stress over it.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    but don't you guys realize it's the american mindset to worry about consequences only after the damage has been done?
    That is serioiusly overstepping the boundaries. Now I'm wondering whether you are deliberately setting out to offend and alienate the very people you say you care about. And no I'm not American, nor do I have any ties to that country or its people.
    I personally don't drink soda - I do however use it to clean limescale build up in my toilet - and having seen how that cleans up I don't actually want to put that in my body.
    Nothing to do with the soda argument per se, but generally statements along the lines of "I'm not eating / drinking XYZ, have you seen what it does to ABC" amuse me tremendously. Have you seen what pH 1-2 Hydrochloric Acid does to metal? Have you seen it eat straight through a piece of wood? I wouldn't recommend anyone drinks it, but that's the stuff that's already in your stomach. :bigsmile:

Sure, choose not to drink soda, you can even have a go at explaining to me why I shouldn't drink it, because while I rarely drink diet drinks, soda (carbonated) water is something I like and if there's a suspected problem which has been backed up with blind trials on humans, I'd be genuinely interested to be told about it - but I'd need a more convincing argument than the old "Have you seen what X does to Y" thing.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...but yet dark beers and red wines actually have health benefits when drank...IN MODERATION. loling.