everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• Eyoung8
    Eyoung8 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i definitely do everything in moderation. i ate two hot dogs today and i'm sure there was some non-organic monkey beef in them too.
    ROTFL:laugh:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    "Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're Black."

Cheers to that.
  • carolynmittens
    Options

She does have some valid points and information in her post. BUT....

If you look at her profile she has also been eating very unhealthy for years just as the rest of us have. The only difference is while we were putting unhealthy fuel into our bodies she was putting none at all into hers or scarcely limited. We have all made bad choices in our pasts and that is why we are all here. To make better choices for ourselves and our bodies. But we should all keep that in mind when posting. We should never speak down about anyone else on this site. That's not what it's for. Otherwise our phone may ring, "Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're Black."
    you're absolutely right - and when i was 19 and eating very infrequently, i was completely ignorant and honestly didn't think that would have any long-term negative affects on my body. i'm really grateful to the people who told me about the dangers of fasting as often as i was. so now i don't do it anymore. i personally think trans fat is dangerous because it will clog your arteries and give you a heart attack, i'm not trying to judge other people at all, just inform them. but as someone previously said, only one other person agrees with me about the dangers of trans fat and GMOs, so obviously i'm preaching to the wrong audience :P
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about diet and nutrition, that's for sure.
    I thought *I* knew everything when I was 26 too.
    Now that I'm 54, I know less, but I tolerate more.
    Peace out everyone............
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    man, whiny people piss me off. i think its interesting how many people are posting in disagreement with the poster and have a large amount of weight to lose. correlation? maaaybe.

before you go trip out on me, i ate the same way for a long time. its programmed into us at this point. but you know what? you can change it. stop being afraid and wimpy and whiny and make yourself push past 'moderation' into healthy. i make minimum wage and work less than 20 hours a week and i'm a full time college student trying to pay off debt. guess what? i feed myself organically with no HFCS, enriched flour, or gluten on less than $200 a month. and yes, the chipotle i am eating today follows the same guidelines.

its friggen doable. you just have to stop being afraid.

btw, cranberries are red. i really hope the person that made that comment realizes that.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

I love this.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Reading this kind of made me feel like a failure while for weeks now I've been patting myself on the back for giving up soda and making better food choices. Now, I feel like I still have a looooong way to go. A "treat" for our family is to pick up hamburgers from In & Out, bring them home, and eat while we watch a movie. (and no, making them at home is not the same) Over the past few weeks, instead of getting fries I've only been getting the hamburger and then I eat a salad or edamame or something like that with it. Now I feel like that isn't good enough and I should just never eat another take out burger again. And it makes me a little sad. I can't imagine not ever going to Red Robin with my family (our favorite restaurant). And what in the world do you do when your'e invited over to someone's house for dinner? Decline because there may be red 3 or non organic food being served? In today's world it would be very hard to live like the op suggests and still maintain any kind of social life at all.

I don't think the OP's intent was to make you feel bad. In fact it sounds like you are doing very well. Give it time and you will learn to eat out and still stay true to your commitment to you health. I personally don't enjoy processed foods. That's my choice. It hasn't impacted my social life in any negative way. I go out, eat over friend's houses and enjoy my life. If there is something I don't want to eat, I simply don't. yes food is fuel for me, but having given up on processed foods I find I actually enjoy the taste of real food now. I'm like discovering the flavors of food without added salts, sugars and artificial ingredients.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    btw, cranberries are red. i really hope the person that made that comment realizes that.

I'm with you on that one, but wow, your tone is just going to set off a whole lot of comments. (What you were going for?)

This whole thread was going fine, until the sarcastic comments about the drink in her hand started. Then it becomes bickering back and forth.

So, let me sum it up, since pretty much everything has been said.

1. If you WANT to live like that, go ahead-you're stronger than me.
    2. A WHOLE LOT of people don't want to.
    3. Not everyone's circumstances are the same.

Did I get everything? Good.
  • leslielove
    Options
    I'm with you on that one, but wow, your tone is just going to set off a whole lot of comments. (What you were going for?)

straight up honesty. i need to give the OP a fist bump of solidarity. yeah, it probably came off a little snarky but i don't bull**** around because nice doesn't always work. you should see me irl lolol
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Uh oh...the food police are here.....:tongue:
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    straight up honesty. i need to give the OP a fist bump of solidarity. yeah, it probably came off a little snarky but i don't bull**** around because nice doesn't always work. you should see me irl lolol

I'm more of a live and let live dieter. How other people eat affects me not in the slightest. It may very well be an age thing.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I didn't make the original post about the drink in her hand. In fact I wasn't even concerned with it. My reply to the OP was respectful yet disagreed and I stated my position as such. I did, however, jump on the bandwagon about the drink in the pic. And when another poster asked about the drink, the reply was that it was cranberry juice. However, said beverage is not red. I'm not an idiot, I know that cranberries and cranberry juice are red.
  • leslielove
    Options
    said aforementioned beverage is also in an opaque container. ain't no way to tell what color she's drinkin.
  • leslielove
    Options
    i will just edit my double post to add that i like the umbrella in her drink.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    PS to OP............if you *think* your metabolism slowed down at 25, I got news for you..................................wait till you hit 50! LOL
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Lots of interesting responses here. I may be in the minority but I'm going to thank you for making some of the points you did. Not that it means I'll forever be free of junk food (woops - I ate two servings of molten hot wing potato chips, a couple of chips ahoy cookies and some other junk last night, and had takeout the night before. As many others have said, it IS real life) but I'm making efforts to shift toward healthier eating, more of the time. It's a continuum for me, and I think I'm moving in the right direction.

What you said about making healthier alternatives to the items you crave is something I can strive to do at least half of the time, and probably more. I love cookies and brownies, so why not make a point of baking from scratch if I can? Of course, still in moderation :wink: (Hot button word in this post!) LOL! Making a cheesecake from scratch (for the first time ever, a few months ago) really was a lot more rewarding than buying a slice from the store bakery. And in all truthfulness, I would probably enjoy the process and result of making my own goodies more than just snarfing down something pre-packaged. Really, truly, I hadn't considered this before.

I think for a lot of people, rules containing "always" and "never" are set ups for failure. I have a pretty strong rebellious streak and even if I intellectually know that I won't like the result, it's very tempting to assert my power in the moment, even if I'm defeating myself in the long run. This might seem a little woo-woo, but for me, it's about learning how to manage my energy and my choices so that I feel both powerful in the moment, and pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for a thought provoking post. :flowerforyou:
  • babytmarie27
    babytmarie27 Posts: 161
    Options
    In a perfect world...where a person is single and without children and has a good job a person could probably live that way. I try to eat as natural as my budget will allow but guess what, at the end of the month when Im broke and need to eat I will eat what I can afford and will be grateful for every morsel. Plus I do allow my son to have treats in moderation he is not going to be the weirdo in school nibbling on an organic banana while the rest of the class is having a pizza party. That lifestyle is nearly impossible for most people. Besides I'm not going to spend my life in fear of whats in our food, while millions end their night hungry. Im glad it works for you though.
  • padkat
    padkat Posts: 75
    Options
    Give me nice over dictatorial any day.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Wow, c'mon people. Don't beat the original poster up about all of this. If you took the time to look at her profile, you'd see that she's a vegan and, therefore, is obviously very cautious about what goes into her body. You need to take what she says w/ that in mind. My wife is a vegetarian and has many of the same opinions and I hear it daily when I have my diet coke... even though EVERYTHING else I have is 100% natural and packed full of fruits, veggies, proteins, nuts, etc (eating like a rabbit, I like to call it).

I've seen many people post rants about how they did or want to binge and then folks backing them up telling them its "ok, you have to be human." That's true, you have to be human and eat the way that works for you in a responsible manner. Just because the original poster went on a rant in the exact opposite direction doesn't mean she's the devil.

Anyways, as I've always said, to each his or her own. Take other people's opinions to heart or don't pay much attention. If we're all being honest with ourselves, what the OP said is actually all true. Its just up to you on whether you want to live like that... and if you don't, thats OK!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about diet and nutrition, that's for sure.
    I thought *I* knew everything when I was 26 too.
    Peace out everyone............

*Like*