everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Reading this kind of made me feel like a failure while for weeks now I've been patting myself on the back for giving up soda and making better food choices. Now, I feel like I still have a looooong way to go. A "treat" for our family is to pick up hamburgers from In & Out, bring them home, and eat while we watch a movie. (and no, making them at home is not the same) Over the past few weeks, instead of getting fries I've only been getting the hamburger and then I eat a salad or edamame or something like that with it. Now I feel like that isn't good enough and I should just never eat another take out burger again. And it makes me a little sad. I can't imagine not ever going to Red Robin with my family (our favorite restaurant). And what in the world do you do when your'e invited over to someone's house for dinner? Decline because there may be red 3 or non organic food being served? In today's world it would be very hard to live like the op suggests and still maintain any kind of social life at all.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Last time I checked, cranberry juice was red.. just sayin'....
    red 3 is an artificial coloring, and causes thyroid tumors in rats

So you're saying cranberries aren't red and are artificially colored?
    I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to get you to realize that everyone's definition of progress and success is different. I totally respect your point of view actually and it's quite enviable. But for me, and alot others, just not realistic. If you yourself indulge on occassion, you should have included that in your original post and probably wouldn't have come off so "preachy".
    cranberries are indeed red. they're red naturally. fruit roll ups are not red naturally, so someone in a factory will add in an artificial coloring agent to make them red. this artificial color might give you cancer, so you might want to avoid it.
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I agree with the person who said... you do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me. I have a problem with someone telling me that it's NEVER ok to do anything regardless of what it may be provided it isn't some illegal activity or something to that effect.

In fact... after my 10K race me and 2 others that I work with who ran went out for breakfast and had eggs, bacon, hash browns, a giant pancake, a giant omelet, and eggs benedict. (all of our 3 meals contents... by no means could I eat all that.) Our half marathon guy had the 6 egg omelet. LOL

So... bash away because we LOVED every bite!
  • thesingingdork
    Options
    Everything in moderation, including moderation
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Hey--I don't think she was trying to be mean. It was preachy. Anytime you write a post about how YOU believe things should be done, that's preachy.

She gave her opinion...we can take it how we will.

I think the fact that 1 person agreed with you (so far) means it probably ISN'T the way most people want to live.
  • Tennolina
    Options
    :smile:
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that that is an ideal but the majority of people are still finding that place where they can be totally healthy without the old stuff creeping in. Plus chocolate is naturally occurring!

It also depends to what degree you take it, some people see Dairy as the enemy, after all it's something designed to make calfs increase in size 10 fold, why would humans eat it?
  • SusieLovesArt
    Options
    I am assuming from the poster's picture and her reason for wanting to get in shape (aesthetics?) that she may not have a lot of real life experience. That's ok. While she does come off very preachy and superior, I'd like to think that was unintentional. Personally, I am able to put extra funds into buying organic when I choose, but have seen the day when eating in the way she describes was not feasible financially. Some of the MFP folks may have to lose weight and get healthier on a tight budget. Fortunately, most of the fast food establishments now offer healthier alternatives. Making better choices, in food as well as other aspects of life, is a goal we can all reach for.
  • Eyoung8
    Eyoung8 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this thread, and it made my remember my grandmother.

She firmly believe in "everything in moderation".

She avoided junk food, quit smoking at a young age, and exercised well into her geriatric years. She didn't know what "organic" or "clean" meant, but always cooked meals made out of whole foods, like her Italian emigrant parents taught her. But she would always eat a slice of birthday cake at a party or share a dessert with me if we went out to lunch.

She was active and independent until nearly the very end, and passed away at age 89.

You can live whatever kind of life you want, but I have my own role model, my "everything in moderation" grandma. :)

Great post! I'm a nurse and that makes me think of the little geriatric patients who are well into their 90s. When asked, on occassion, what the secret was to old age, I don't remember any of them saying "Well dear, I never ate any chemicals..."
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There's an old saying "nothing worse than a reformed alcoholic" Insert whatever word you want in place of alcoholic.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Reading this kind of made me feel like a failure while for weeks now I've been patting myself on the back for giving up soda and making better food choices.
    You're not a failure, you are actually being extremely smart about making changes like that.

If you suddenly tried to change everything at once, it would be extremely hard and you'd feel as if you were depriving yourself and your family.

You're doing great and I'm proud of your success, don't you DARE let anyone drag you down - keep up the good work and keep your chin up, that's an order!
  • Tennolina
    Options
    I ate crap food until a few months ago and I can honestly say people with your attitude kind of kept me eating that way. So judgemental and condescending with the fake air of concern.

I have a cheat day once a week that consists of pizza, doughnuts, chocolate and sugary drinks. Why? Because I enjoy food and taste. It's not the enemy. Lack of self control is. Your wonderful brownies probably could make people fat, too.

Amen, and amen.
  • padkat
    padkat Posts: 75
    Options
    Reading this kind of made me feel like a failure while for weeks now I've been patting myself on the back for giving up soda and making better food choices. Now, I feel like I still have a looooong way to go. A "treat" for our family is to pick up hamburgers from In & Out, bring them home, and eat while we watch a movie. (and no, making them at home is not the same) Over the past few weeks, instead of getting fries I've only been getting the hamburger and then I eat a salad or edamame or something like that with it. Now I feel like that isn't good enough and I should just never eat another take out burger again. And it makes me a little sad. I can't imagine not ever going to Red Robin with my family (our favorite restaurant). And what in the world do you do when your'e invited over to someone's house for dinner? Decline because there may be red 3 or non organic food being served? In today's world it would be very hard to live like the op suggests and still maintain any kind of social life at all.

Please don't feel sad or a failure - you are doing just great. Your post shows you are trying to make healthier choices when you can - That's all any of can ask of ourselves. You aren't perfect, neither am I - but you don't have to be :smile: All you have to do is take one day at a time and if the majority of that time is spent making the right choices you will come out of it healthier in the long term :flowerforyou:
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Not being disrespectful or mean, but I am getting sick of people trying to make me feel bad for the choices I make and the things I eat. Yes, alot of the things I have eaten aren't very good for me and I know it. But it's my choice to shove it in my mouth. I have been working very hard to lose weight and be healthy - I have been heavy since I was a kid. I feel like I'm doing a good job and making decent headway and then someone always has to be preachy and mean and it drags me down. I'm trying to make a lifestyle change and I'm doing it. Instead of eating chips all week I may eat some once every couple of months. I don't think I should be made to feel bad about it. I also like to drink...and I mean Jim Beam! I used to drink every weekend - all weekend but have cut back to maybe a couple of times a month. Am I perfect? HELL NO!! Am I doing better than I was - WAY better. I have also decided I want to enjoy living my life. If that means eating food others say are bad for me - so what - you'll be right there beside me in the ground some day but maybe I can say I enjoyed my journey there a little more because I didn't stress myself out worrying over every little tiny thing I put into my body. I have alot more living to do and I'm not going to micromanage everything to the point it makes me miserable. I enjoy unhealthy food and drinks and I'm going to indulge on occasion....in moderation ofcourse :drinker:
    congrats on making positive changes in your life - i think that's awesome! i am far, faaaaaaaaaar from perfect as well. and like i said in a previous post this wasn't meant to sound preachy - and i'm sorry if did. if micromanaging every ingredient that enters your house stresses you out then yeah, don't obsess over it. stress is really bad for your body too! keep on making those positive lifestyle changes, it's working for you so don't let any preachy health-nuts drag you down ;P
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, pass the donuts, please. :laugh:
  • SoUnaware
    SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is rather ironic when you compare it to you avatar. Is that water you're drinking?

This is perfect. I'm not going to say much about this topic.
    Except for this.
    Eating a snickers bar won't kill you. It's not made of poison. Have you ever hear of anyone dying from eating one snickers bar? Or maybe having an In N Out burger once every month or so? Nope. That **** tastes good. Probably a lot better than your buckwheat pancakes, no offense.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i definitely do everything in moderation. i ate two hot dogs today and i'm sure there was some non-organic monkey beef in them too.
  • SoUnaware
    SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I ate crap food until a few months ago and I can honestly say people with your attitude kind of kept me eating that way. So judgemental and condescending with the fake air of concern.

I have a cheat day once a week that consists of pizza, doughnuts, chocolate and sugary drinks. Why? Because I enjoy food and taste. It's not the enemy. Lack of self control is. Your wonderful brownies probably could make people fat, too.

Amen, and amen.

I would just like to add another Amen.
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am assuming from the poster's picture and her reason for wanting to get in shape (aesthetics?) that she may not have a lot of real life experience. That's ok. While she does come off very preachy and superior, I'd like to think that was unintentional. Personally, I am able to put extra funds into buying organic when I choose, but have seen the day when eating in the way she describes was not feasible financially. Some of the MFP folks may have to lose weight and get healthier on a tight budget. Fortunately, most of the fast food establishments now offer healthier alternatives. Making better choices, in food as well as other aspects of life, is a goal we can all reach for.

I agree. I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion but I do not like being told that you opinion is the only right opinion and all others are wrong. I understand the posted had strong feelings but she did overstep a bit when she made all to feel that hers is the only correct one.

She does have some valid points and information in her post. BUT....

If you look at her profile she has also been eating very unhealthy for years just as the rest of us have. The only difference is while we were putting unhealthy fuel into our bodies she was putting none at all into hers or scarcely limited. We have all made bad choices in our pasts and that is why we are all here. To make better choices for ourselves and our bodies. But we should all keep that in mind when posting. We should never speak down about anyone else on this site. That's not what it's for. Otherwise our phone may ring, "Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're Black."
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm a nurse and that makes me think of the little geriatric patients who are well into their 90s. When asked, on occassion, what the secret was to old age, I don't remember any of them saying "Well dear, I never ate any chemicals..."

I think about this a lot because I come on here and read all of the funny things that people say are bad for us or good for us but then I take 50 diet histories a week from little old (and I mean old!) ladies and you know what they eat (and have always eaten?) - breakfast: white toast with jam, lunch: a deli meat sandwich, dinner: meat and 3 veg, snacks cup of tea with sweetener and milk and a biscuit. Definitely makes me wonder.

As for the original post, well it's an interesting viewpoint. I don't agree with it because I think that people 'decide' what is good and what is bad for them. There is no proof for example that genetically modified foods are bad for us, or about a lot of the things mentioned, so I don't see how anyone could support the view that we should all be absolutely avoiding them.