everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like you can post your rant while your profile picture clearly shows that you don't follow your own advice. I agree that people need to eat healthy foods and make good nutritional choices, but it isn't fair to tell someone else how to live. If an occasional big mac works for you, then go for it.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My doctor doesn't sit and fill out a prescription pad. She treats and heals with whole foods nutrtition.

I so want to be on your side but that sounds ridiculous.

Maybe I can rephrase in a way that sounds slightly more believable. My sister suffers from MS and one of the effects of this is body fatigue cause by the fact that the brain struggles to send signals to your muscles correctly, so it has to send the message multiple times, the body doest respond properly and as a result you are literally mentally and physically exhausted. To put this in perspective she is 32 years old now has to use a mobility scooter to travel outside her own house.

In conjunction will a lot of conventional medication and physical therapy she has changed her diet to be based healthy, raw foods. This has not cured her MS. It has not corrected the potassium deficiency which could cause her to have heart failure without regular injected supplements (no - a few bananas will NOT help with this). It HAS given her a lot more energy during the day - she can go for considerably longer without having to take a rest and her immune system is in generally better shape - which is good because the effect of being ill is magnified greatly for her. And when she is visiting friends she will still eat what is offered (as long as its gluten free but that's another story)!

In conclusion - what we eat does have a big impact on our bodies - don't under estimate it - but don't over estimate it either - it cant cure or prevent every ailment and it for most of us there is a sensible balance between enjoying life and eating well.
  • Chantelle160
    Chantelle160 Posts: 127
    Options
    I ate crap food until a few months ago and I can honestly say people with your attitude kind of kept me eating that way. So judgemental and condescending with the fake air of concern.

I have a cheat day once a week that consists of pizza, doughnuts, chocolate and sugary drinks. Why? Because I enjoy food and taste. It's not the enemy. Lack of self control is. Your wonderful brownies probably could make people fat, too.

I love this. Everything works different for everyone, we are not here to judge only support. If you do not agree with someones ways the delete them as a friend.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    I don't feel like you can post your rant while your profile picture clearly shows that you don't follow your own advice. I agree that people need to eat healthy foods and make good nutritional choices, but it isn't fair to tell someone else how to live. If an occasional big mac works for you, then go for it.

Be fair - she said it was pure cranberry juice...
  • Chantelle160
    Chantelle160 Posts: 127
    Options
    Last time I checked, cranberry juice was red.. just sayin'....
    red 3 is an artificial coloring, and causes thyroid tumors in rats

So you're saying cranberries aren't red and are artificially colored?
    I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to get you to realize that everyone's definition of progress and success is different. I totally respect your point of view actually and it's quite enviable. But for me, and alot others, just not realistic. If you yourself indulge on occassion, you should have included that in your original post and probably wouldn't have come off so "preachy".
    cranberries are indeed red. they're red naturally. fruit roll ups are not red naturally, so someone in a factory will add in an artificial coloring agent to make them red. this artificial color might give you cancer, so you might want to avoid it.

If we were worried about every little thing they say causes cancer we would not breath. Really we only live once. Should we live our lives paranoid about everything that causes cancer or try to enjoy life.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    yawn....
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    My doctor doesn't sit and fill out a prescription pad. She treats and heals with whole foods nutrtition.

Maybe I can rephrase in a way that sounds slightly more believable. My sister suffers from MS and one of the effects of this is body fatigue cause by the fact that the brain struggles to send signals to your muscles correctly, so it has to send the message multiple times, the body doest respond properly and as a result you are literally mentally and physically exhausted. To put this in perspective she is 32 years old now has to use a mobility scooter to travel outside her own house.

In conjunction will a lot of conventional medication and physical therapy she has changed her diet to be based healthy, raw foods. This has not cured her MS. It has not corrected the potassium deficiency which could cause her to have heart failure without regular injected supplements (no - a few bananas will NOT help with this). It HAS given her a lot more energy during the day - she can go for considerably longer without having to take a rest and her immune system is in generally better shape - which is good because the effect of being ill is magnified greatly for her. And when she is visiting friends she will still eat what is offered (as long as its gluten free but that's another story)!

In conclusion - what we eat does have a big impact on our bodies - don't under estimate it - but don't over estimate it either - it cant cure or prevent every ailment and it for most of us there is a sensible balance between enjoying life and eating well.
    What is even more ridiculous is that she assumes that I am on medication at all...

Although I am glad to hear healthy eating has improved your sisters health & energy some! That is great :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I have healed Diabetes, Bi-Polar, Pituitary Tumor, Thyroid, kidneys and my Adrenal Glands with no medications. Straight nutritional approach.

I am glad I have the doctor I have and I am glad she is so strict. I did not want to end up on Dialysis like my mom or with amputations from Diabetes complications like my grandmother.

It was a huge wake up call and I will never go back. I have gotten into my routine of shopping, planning, executing and I will never go back to eating processed foods again.

Prescribed supplement injections for vitamins is different from having 40 prescirptions for everything from high blood pressure, thyroid, diabetes, pain killers, muscle relaxers, sleeping pills, heart meds, clotting agents, anti-depressants, etc.....

I did take injections for 8 weeks for Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiency. I have started getting out in the sun more and I even started going to a tanning bed a couple times a week just for the boost of Vitamin D (doctor suggested) and I started eating more meats for the B12 deficiency (that was self induced due to my vegetarian experiment)
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I will continue to inform people what i've learned and have the proof to back it up.I make all my treats Grain/Gluten free. It tastes wonderful. All the food I consume are whole, fresh and completely homemade and my Aunt no longer takes Insulin for her diabetes on a daily basis because of it. She has kidney disease and goes to dialysis 3 times a week. Her doctor is baffled that her kidneys are HEALING....here's to your health people

If this were the case surely she would be under close scrutiny?? I doubt that diet alone would have much to do with that, if it did then the discovery would have been made earlier and I might have been saved 2 years of dialysis and a transplant.

I have no reason to kid you on this...my aunt is 72 years old and been diabetic (type 2) for over 15 yrs. Remember...excess sugar and High glycemic grain carbs are what put her there as well as many other people with metabolic disorders. I put her on the Paleo diet with very few carbs. She does not need insulin everyday because she's not consuming enough carbs that insulin is needed for. She consumes a high fat, moderate protein, and very low carb diet and is getting healthier everyday because of it.
    Yes I've told her doctor what I've done. He was soo concerned and had all that brainwashed medical advise to give. He put her on a whole grain, low protein and low fat diet as if protein & fat were the reason she bacame diabetic. She was taking insulin everyday on his meal plan. I told him no thanks and put her on the Paleo lifestyle and she is doing wonderful. Even with this proof he still doesn't want to believe in the FACTS.

love love love!
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's important that people realise how bad these things can really be for the body (and I'm throwing in frozen lunches, because I see so many people thinking that's health food- no it isn't), but eating McDonald's once in a blue moon is not going to kill you, it's not even going to harm you. I'm a big believer in eating as close to the earth as possible, the real stuff, but sometimes I want the crap and every once in a while, I'll have some. It's the having it all the time and not knowing the difference which will hurt you.

Be in control of your choices and always be aware of what you're putting in your body, but you don't need to be a vegan subsistence living in the untouched rainforest to be healthy.
  • mikeyrp
    Options

I have healed Diabetes, Bi-Polar, Pituitary Tumor, Thyroid, kidneys and my Adrenal Glands with no medications. Straight nutritional approach.

I am glad I have the doctor I have and I am glad she is so strict. I did not want to end up on Dialysis like my mom or with amputations from Diabetes complications like my grandmother.

It was a huge wake up call and I will never go back. I have gotten into my routine of shopping, planning, executing and I will never go back to eating processed foods again.

Prescribed supplement injections for vitamins is different from having 40 prescirptions for everything from high blood pressure, thyroid, diabetes, pain killers, muscle relaxers, sleeping pills, heart meds, clotting agents, anti-depressants, etc.....

I did take injections for 8 weeks for Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiency. I have started getting out in the sun more and I even started going to a tanning bed a couple times a week just for the boost of Vitamin D (doctor suggested) and I started eating more meats for the B12 deficiency (that was self induced due to my vegetarian experiment)

I think you have to be really careful to look at things on a case by case basis... Depression is a very good example - because its a catch all phrase which covers a variety of mental health issues - some of which are caused by a chemical imbalance and obviously will be aided by healthy diet - some need therapy and some need drugs. Don't assume what works for one will work for all and beware of the placebo effect which can be strong in mental health.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Be in control of your choices and always be aware of what you're putting in your body, but you don't need to be a vegan subsistence living in the untouched rainforest to be healthy.

Trinity - I love you for making me laugh just as this post was starting to wind me up X
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, what do folks mean when they say that they have cured their (or a loved one's) diabetes? It was my understanding that diabetes is a permanent condition once the pancreas has reached that point. If you mean that you are managing it without insulin shots, that's a fantastic accomplishment, I just feel like a lot of the claims in this thread are sounding somewhat overstated.

Maintaining a healthy, organic clean diet is great. Maintaining your mental health and self esteem are also great. If you can do both more power to you. I think that for a lot of folks here, especially those just starting out, they are learning the basics of nutrition and portion control. There needs to be some room to make less ideal choices without having the crushing guilt, and derailing effect that comes with the guilt. Over time I think a lot of folks start making progressively healthier choices, especially when they track those less healthy choices and can see how their bodies respond to those choices.

What the OP is talking about is a really good goal for folks, but for a lot of people who have struggled with life long issues involving food and weight, there needs to also be a focus on being compassionate toward yourself, forgiving mistakes, and moving forward.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    What's good for you isn't what is good for everyone; including that big fruity looking drink you are slipping on in your profile pic.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    How pretentious
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    i keep seeing this phrase thrown around all over the place. "it's ok if you ate a quarter pounder from McDonalds last night, everything in moderation!" "don't feel guilty about eating that Snickers bar, everything in moderation right?" i don't really understand this frame of mind - why would anyone want to put anything unhealthy into their body, ever? i mean is it ok to poison yourself in moderation? because that's what junk food does to you. especially genetically modified, heavily preserved or artificially sweetened junk food.

to indulge is one thing. i make some seriously delicious and indulgent dark chocolate brownies from time to time. but they're made out of whole grain barley flour, 100% dark chocolate, and sweetened with applesauce or dates. if i'm in the mood for pancakes i make buckwheat pancakes. i'm not saying everyone should cut out desserts or treats, not at all. you can absolutely indulge in chocolate, cookies, pancakes, etc in moderation. but people, there are healthier versions of these foods that taste just as good and won't kill you!

it is never ok to drink soda, regular or diet. it's never ok to consume snacks that contain more chemicals than real food. it is NEVER ok to consume BHT, hydrogenated oils, artificial colors like yellow 6 and red 3, high fructose corn syrup, sodium nitrite, or aspartame. check your favorite "cheat treats" - if it contains any of those ingredients, please don't eat it. i wish people would get out of this "everything in moderation" mind frame, and start asking themselves "what is this food going to do for my body?" instead. if there is nothing at all beneficial in the food you're about to eat, why are you eating it? food is meant to be fuel for our bodies, stop catering to your taste buds. your taste buds make up like .001% of your body, what about the other 99.999%? if you think you're satisfying your taste buds by eating that Twinkie, doesn't it bother you that you're hurting the other 99% of your body?

i understand cravings, and that if you deprive yourself of something you'll likely binge out on it at some point. i don't condone deprivation, i just think you can find a perfectly natural substitute. if you NEED a cheeseburger, make your own out of organic beef, please don't eat that artificially flavored chemical smorgasbord from McDonalds. if you need cookies, make your own, don't reach for a box of Entenmann's. every food in its natural state can be consumed in moderation, absolutely. but when you enter into the world of freaky genetically modified lab experiment foods/additives/preservatives, there is absolutely no reason to go near it, even in moderation.

your body is a temple, treat it with respect :flowerforyou:

suidog.jpg
  • RyanWicklund
    Options
    I recently read a psychological study that suggested moderation was important even when making positive change. If you are someone that eats poorly and doesn't exercise, you will most likely not be able to stick with it if you flip a switch and adopt an "all or nothing approach." You're much more likely to succeed if you pick one goal at a time and wait until your habits are changed to move on to the next. For example, maybe at first you decide you want to stop drinking soda. You change your habits, you don't buy a mountain dew on the way to work, and eventually you don't want to drink pop anymore. Then you move on to the next one, fast food for example. By picking one goal at a time you can make positive changes without feeling like you aren't enjoying life. The important thing to remember about weight loss is changing your lifestyle and finding a sustainable equilibrium. For many of us, this is moderation.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Eating well may prevent you from getting some illnesses associated with eating badly, but there are things that are not treatable by diet. Cholesterol, for one! My father had a stroke 7 years ago, eating well and losing 4 stone didn't make a jot of difference to his cholesterol. Statins did.
    Eating well (and I do eat very healthily) has never stopped me getting bronchitis, or tracheitis, or pneumonia or pleurisy. Having a good diet doesn't treat those things. Antibiotics and steroids do. Without those I'd be dead many times over. Eating well didn't stop me getting appendicitis either. Despite not having even been born to eat anything, my son was born with a deformed kidney, and will always have problems with them. That won't be reversed by eating cleanly. It needed surgery.

Clean eating isn't a replacement for medicine. Without medicine a lot of people would die a lot sooner than they needed to.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Eating well may prevent you from getting some illnesses associated with eating badly, but there are things that are not treatable by diet. Cholesterol, for one! My father had a stroke 7 years ago, eating well and losing 4 stone didn't make a jot of difference to his cholesterol. Statins did.
    Eating well (and I do eat very healthily) has never stopped me getting bronchitis, or tracheitis, or pneumonia or pleurisy. Having a good diet doesn't treat those things. Antibiotics and steroids do. Without those I'd be dead many times over. Eating well didn't stop me getting appendicitis either. Despite not having even been born to eat anything, my son was born with a deformed kidney, and will always have problems with them. That won't be reversed by eating cleanly. It needed surgery.

Clean eating isn't a replacement for medicine. Without medicine a lot of people would die a lot sooner than they needed to.

This is true.

One thing I would like explained is why people live longer now than they did 100 years ago? They didn't have McDonalds or chemicals in their food back then but they died at a much earlier age. When Social Security was created the average lifespan was about 65, now it's higher than that. It's common sense that eating healthy will help overall health, but to use it as a substitute for a Dr. is playing with fire.

My mother is on the natural bandwagon, but her health is not good at all. If she would go to the Dr they might be able to help her figure out what wrong. But she refuses insisting the natural way will eventually do the job. Well its been 10 years and she still never feels right, I fear that she may have something seriously wrong. Thanks to the "good hearted" natural "experts" who are not out for a buck(they demonize Dr's are pharmaceuticals but make a good profit off their books etc.) she is wasting what should be great years of her life.