Loose dogs while jogging

Options

Replies

• HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Kick them. I used to have this problem when I cycled to work, small dogs would yap at my wheels.

I had my dress torn by a dog last week, it just ran up and grabbed my hem in it's teeth. Dangerous things.

this is abuse...and YOU can be fined.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Kick them. I used to have this problem when I cycled to work, small dogs would yap at my wheels.

I had my dress torn by a dog last week, it just ran up and grabbed my hem in it's teeth. Dangerous things.

Abuse my butt, that damn dog still has part of my knee, if a dog is coming at you it is not abuse, it is protection!!! It is abuse to kick a dog for no reason, but to keep them off me, hell with that! I was lucky that he happened to miss the tendons....he was lucky I didn't think of kicking him, also lucky I didn't push for him to be put down
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Mine has a cat flap in the back door and comes and goes as she pleases.... She usually is in at night. Typical cat really... Talk about an animal having it's own mind. :laugh:

So your dog can go outside night and day, with and without your supervision. Have you ever heard of dogs jumping fences or digging their way out? When you are not around, what kind of control do you have over your dog?

Woman!! What are you talking about????? Have you ever seen a cat flap??? It's for the size of a cat as the name suggests!! The dog can't even get her head through it... Engage brain before mouthing off making accusations!!
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Abuse my butt, that damn dog still has part of my knee, if a dog is coming at you it is not abuse, it is protection!!! It is abuse to kick a dog for no reason, but to keep them off me, hell with that! I was lucky that he happened to miss the tendons....he was lucky I didn't think of kicking him, also lucky I didn't push for him to be put down

yea kill the dog. that would solve everything. stupid. its obvious some people just arent dog lovers...amazing how these dogs are attracted and "threaten" the same people that dont like them. I wouldnt be happy about being bit by a dog either but lets use some common sense.
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Mine has a cat flap in the back door and comes and goes as she pleases.... She usually is in at night. Typical cat really... Talk about an animal having it's own mind. :laugh:

So your dog can go outside night and day, with and without your supervision. Have you ever heard of dogs jumping fences or digging their way out? When you are not around, what kind of control do you have over your dog?

Woman!! What are you talking about????? Have you ever seen a cat flap??? It's for the size of a cat as the name suggests!! The dog can't even get her head through it... Engage brain before mouthing off making accusations!!
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 dogs, one 10 yo, other 1 yo, non of them have ever been on a lead. I only go through public areas to get to a footpath or a wood, but neverless, dont put them on a lead. They go crazy when I try.

If you had trained your dogs to accept a lead, they'd politely sit for you to attach it. What the heck do you do at the vet?

I agree that's another example of poor training. If you can't safely attach a lead to your dogs they are poorly trained - end of. They call the shots, not you, and that's wrong.
    How funny. Badly trained, huh? My collie will gather a heard of sheep or cows on a command. She'll speak, sit, lie down, wait politely while vet is giving her the injections, find a game bird if told, pick up a shot bird if told, scare a hare if told. She'll do everything she's told and nothing without permission. She's been declared brilliant by the best dog trainers in England. But because she doesnt like a lead - and she doesnt need one, she is badly trained-end of it. Maybe some people shouldnt express their opinions if they havent got a clue what they are talking about.

I'm sorry, but if your dog goes crazy and refuses the leash then she isn't doing "everything she's told and nothing without permission," is she? At best she is a dog who obeys when she feels like it and not at other times.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Just something to note. Most dogs will only be aggressive if they can't see the stranger's face, so when you notice a bunch of dogs, it might help to remove sunglasses or hats if you are fearful.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options

yea kill the dog. that would solve everything. stupid. its obvious some people just arent dog lovers...amazing how these dogs are attracted and "threaten" the same people that dont like them. I wouldnt be happy about being bit by a dog either but lets use some common sense.

I adore dogs, have two of my own, this would be why I DID NOT ask for the dog to be put down. I pray that it doesn't go after a child. I simply do not put them above my safety or any other humans....example my very sweet girl is not feeling well right now, leaving her kinda grumpy so I have been very vigilant with her around people. I will not have her hurt a child because she is in a bad mood, as her owner that is my job... And if for some reason she goes at somebody I am ok with them kicking her down if they are scared....that is MY fault not theirs and not hers
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Nines, I am sorry about my previous post, we are taking about dogs here and I did not have much time to read every thing. I was not mouthing away, I was upset about a situation that happens too frequently even in the USA or in Canada.

I have had dogs all my life and they were good dogs who sometimes would act and do things against my will or my parents'. Two of them would run off once in a while just for the pleasure of being free. The 2 dogs my parents had were not trained but would answer to my father's voice. When I was 6, I was attack by 2 strange dogs that were let loose by an irresponsible owner. They were bigger than I was and I had to climb on a car while my big brother was trying to help me out and distracting the dogs. As an adult, when I got myself a german shepperd, I had it trained with and without a leash. She was a great dog, especially with kids, until she decided to grab my cat by the neck. I presently have a young dog who is being trained also.

I am not afraid of dogs, I overcame my fear after the attack thanks to my father's dog. I have seen some of the best in a dog, but I also have seen some of the worse. If a dog comes to me from behind, I will turn and look at it strait in the eyes. If there is any danger, I will face it.

Life is not all black and white, it is full of different shades of grey and the worse can happen to the best of us.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I understand that many of you believe your dog to be under 100% total recall (here in the US, I'm not talking about anywhere else).

The problem is that when I am out jogging with my children in a jogging stroller, *I* do not know that. I get scared for the safety of myself and my children. Why do you think it is ok to put our safety at risk because of your "belief" that your dog won't bite me or my kids? Dogs bite. They are animals, not humans. If you don't want to keep your dog on a leash when out for a walk (as required by law), then either a) dont' take the dog out for a walk, or b) don't own a dog. Simple as that. Don't let your dog run free to potentially attack me or my kids.

Same goes for dogs in front yards (not fenced in). I hate it when a dog chases me. It scares the *kitten* out of me. If your dog is growling and snarling at me, I'm terrified. Don't tell me your dog is safe, because he isn't. Keep your dogs under control AT ALL TIMES.

Yes, I was bit by a dog as a child. I was sitting on the ground reading a book when a neighbor's dog ran over and bit me. I did NOTHING to provoke him. The owner blamed me, and of course said, "He would never bite." Ummm.... your damn dog JUST DID. In my honest opinion, all dogs are capable of biting. Don't ever trust your dog not to bite. That is just plain stupidity.

Forgive me if you don't think your dog would not bite me or my kids- I KNOW BETTER. KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH IF YOU ARE IN THE US AND NOT IN A DOG PARK OR AN AREA WHERE DOGS ARE ALLOWED OFF LEASH. Don't let your dogs run around the yard not fenced in and not on a leash. It's not safe for the rest of us.

I never had heard of dog deterrents or dog mace. I just ordered some from Amazon.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I like to request that people keep these posts free of name calling and any other type of verbal abuse, I've seen a little of that on here already. As moderators, we try to intervene as little as possible, but if there are more abusive replies, I'll have no choice but to lock this topic.

thank you,

SHBoss1673
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Nines, I am sorry about my previous post, we are taking about dogs here and I did not have much time to read every thing. I was not mouthing away, I was upset about a situation that happens too frequently even in the USA or in Canada.

I have had dogs all my life and they were good dogs who sometimes would act and do things against my will or my parents'. Two of them would run off once in a while just for the pleasure of being free. The 2 dogs my parents had were not trained but would answer to my father's voice. When I was 6, I was attack by 2 strange dogs that were let loose by an irresponsible owner. They were bigger than I was and I had to climb on a car while my big brother was trying to help me out and distracting the dogs. As an adult, when I got myself a german shepperd, I had it trained with and without a leash. She was a great dog, especially with kids, until she decided to grab my cat by the neck. I presently have a young dog who is being trained also.

I am not afraid of dogs, I overcame my fear after the attack thanks to my father's dog. I have seen some of the best in a dog, but I also have seen some of the worse. If a dog comes to me from behind, I will turn and look at it strait in the eyes. If there is any danger, I will face it.

Life is not all black and white, it is full of different shades of grey and the worse can happen to the best of us.

Apology accepted.

I was bitten as a child myself by our family dog (GSD) who only listened to my father. I was about 8. I still have the scars in my arm. Had I not raised my arm to protect my face, his teeth would have been in there. The dog had always roughly handled by my father and purposely made dangerous by feeding him raw meat etc and badly trained because my father wanted him to be a guard dog. When he was loose in the yard he bit me. All I did was look at him wrong. It was a prime example of dreadful dog handling by my own folks.
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Nines, I get where you are coming from and we both have great reasons to understand why people can be afraid of loose dogs. The areas where you let your dog be without a leash, are they fenced? Are they areas where there is little to no human activity?
    In my area, the dog parks are all fenced so the dogs can have a lot of fun with their canin friends without being a threat to anyone.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Dogs should be leashed at all times in public or around unfenced homes. It is not the responsibility of everyone else to have to decipher if the dog is friendly or aggressive. A side walk is owned by the city. A street is owned by the city. (Unless the jogger is running on private property.) A dog owner owns his or her property and this is where the dog should be allowed to roam free (as long as it is fenced in). I am fed up with people making excuses about unprovoked dog bites. A human cannot predict the dogs behavior in public. Many dogs have committed out of character acts that leads to attacks. U see and hear about it on the news quite often. Humans should be respected. This is the problem with society today. People are treated like dogs and dogs are treated like humans.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Dogs should be leashed at all times in public or around unfenced homes. It is not the responsibility of everyone else to have to decipher if the dog is friendly or aggressive. A side walk is owned by the city. A street is owned by the city. (Unless the jogger is running on private property.) A dog owner owns his or her property and this is where the dog should be allowed to roam free (as long as it is fenced in). I am fed up with people making excuses about unprovoked dog bites. A human cannot predict the dogs behavior in public. Many dogs have committed out of character acts that leads to attacks. U see and hear about it on the news quite often. Humans should be respected. This is the problem with society today. People are treated like dogs and dogs are treated like humans.

As a person who is completely and utterly terrified of dogs.....I couldn't agree more!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

That about covers it!
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Nines, I get where you are coming from and we both have great reasons to understand why people can be afraid of loose dogs. The areas where you let your dog be without a leash, are they fenced? Are they areas where there is little to no human activity?
    In my area, the dog parks are all fenced so the dogs can have a lot of fun with their canin friends without being a threat to anyone.

There is a lot of public park land near me where I trail run. Regular places where we run are:

http://www.lambylake.com/lake.htm

http://www.cosmeston.com/#/views/4532398592

The only designated leash areas are fields with livestock and the nature reserve areas in Cosmeston where waterfowl and rare birds breed etc (which are fenced off anyway).

Dogs are allowed off leash anywhere else. There is miles of woodland trails and most of the people we encounter if any are other dog walkers, other runners with or without dogs.

Some parks are subject to designated Dog Control Orders where dogs must be kept on leash. This is clearly signed out with notices at entry gatrs etc. I understand there are 4 types:

1. The Fouling of Land by Dogs Order - where it is an offence to fail to remove dog faeces (poop-scoop) deposited by a dog under your control
    2. The Dogs Exclusion Order - where it is an offence to allow a dog under your control to enter an area designated as a dog exclusion area
    3. The Dogs On Leads Order - where it is an offence not to keep a dog under your control on a lead in an area designated as a dogs on leads area
    4. The Dogs On Leads by Direction Order - this is effectively Dogs Off Lead and allows you to exercise a dog under your control off lead unless requested to be put on a lead by an officer of the council. It will be an offence not to comply with such a request.

>>Cut & Pasted from local authority website

"The majority of areas will have no change to the current designation under the byelaws. There will be a slight increase in dog off lead areas, which is considered appropriate since the majority of dog owners are responsible and that a council officer may exercise the power to request the dog be put on a lead where it is considered to be causing a nuisance, annoyance or disturbance to another person, animal or bird. This power was not previously available and is the most significant change."
    <<<<<<<<<<

So plenty of places available that are legally 'off lead' subject to the "no nuisance" rule.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had a situation where I was running in a park and all of a sudden I saw a pit bull running towards me. I'm terrified of dogs. I love Pits, IF I know the owner. Around here, there are alot of morons who get pits because they are fashionable and use them for fighting or don't know how to train them. (Check out Detroit Animal Cops and you will see why I'm terrified) It turned out kind of funny because I turned and ran and jumped a fence like I was in a movie, lol. Never ran in that park again either. I did report it though.

Anyways, I'm not a big animal lover, but I don't want one to be hurt EVER! I called the humane society for some advice and this is what I was told by a dog trainer who was also a runner:

1. Carry treats in your pocket. This will distract them enough for you to get away, or let them know you are friendly.
    2. Use strong commands like, "Sit! Stay!"
    3. Carry a small sized umbrella. Use a Sharpie to draw a big face on it while opened. If a dog approaches you and isn't responding to the above tips, open the umbrella to use as a barrier between you an the dog and slowly back away. She said most of the runners that do this say that the dog usually runs away.
    4. Never run or look the dog in the eye.

Those three tips are healthy and safe for both the runner and the animal. Pepper spray is not recommended because if you leave the dog all alone with burning eyes, he could hurt himself trying to rub his eyes. The pepper spray would need to be rinsed out asap, so unless you plan to help the animal or get the owners there to take care of him, it's kind of cruel. Again, this is advice from a trainer/runner at the Humane Society. Animals are animals and they may defend by their nature regardless of how well trained they are. But it is their nature, so you can't really be mad at them for it. I know people say its just a dog and I had to defend myself, but even still, I don't want to see any animal hurt just for following thier instincts. And again, I'm not even an animal lover, I'm terrified of dogs. I watched my baby sister get attacked in the face by my aunts well trained show dog. You just never know.

Anyways, I hope I was helpful at least. I don't care to debate. But where I'm from, if your dog is off the leash, you are breaking the law. Period.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Dogs are also allowed on all my local beaches but some restriction areas are introduced during busy summer months...

http://www.visitswanseabay.com/index.cfm?articleid=31430

http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/content.asp?nav=52,54&amp;parent_directory_id=1

The areas that are leash compulsory are clearly identified.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I had a super awesom german shepherd as a child. He never offered to bite anyone, and we played roughly with him. One day when he was much older (I was about 10 or 11) I had a friend over and we were playing with him, sat him up on his haunches, which I had done many times before... kids can be kind of stupid, and he snapped at her 3 x's in the face. We were all shocked. She did nothing wrong, it was my fault for playing with him that way and my parents' fault for not stopping us from doing it. We decided that it was probably likely due to hip issues, displaysia wasn't really known at that time.

Then when I was 15 we were given a buff colored cocker spaniel who was a year old. His owner said he was jumping on the little kids and she couldn't deal with it and both me and my brother were big enough to handle him without getting knocked over.

Well, he was a snapper. You could actually wactch his eyes kind of glaze over before he snapped. Having said this, he never ever snapped at me. One day I was giving food to kittens we had and he came up and started eating their food, when I bent over and pushed him away, he barked and snapped at my face. My lip was ripped in half. My dad actually asked the pound to put him down and they refused stating that he was too good a dog to euthanize. I also doubt if they put him into any kind of behavioral training and we asked them to not give him to anyone with kids or any older person.

I still love dogs and have had them all my life until recently. I made the mistake of having picked the bull of the litter Great Dane. She was on my chair asleep, I went to pick her up, she growled at me and I drew back instinctivly and then immediately thought to my self "What am I doing?" and smacked her on the nose. She never knowingly growled at me again. She did once when I had to climb in my window after being locked out of my apartment. I made sure she knew it was me before I stuck my head in the window.

Bulls are hard to train, they think they are the boss, she mostly got over it. After my experience with the spaniel, all of my dogs are trained to let me do anything to them at any time, including mealtime, but I still wouldn't let them off lead because unfortunately they found out very early on that they could get away from me. My children as babies could go up and dig in their bowls while eating. I wouldn't allow that but the dog had better ignore the baby and not so much as growl. And baby gets redirected to something less disgusting so the dog can eat in peace.

Anyway the point of all this is that no matter how well you train them, you never know what might set them off and I have in the past watched in horror when one of my escapees spotted me from accross a very busy road and ran right out into traffic, no one was hurt luckily but it was something I don't ever want to witness again. So despite not ever letting them off the lead, I will not get another dog until I can afford classes to help me deal with the recall issue.

Oh and the lady with the cat flap clearly stated that this was a case of a typical cat, not a word about dog in the post.

Nines I am so sorry that happened to you. Your story is completely lame. Its lame to treat a dog that way regardless of the circumstances and unthinkable w/children in the home.