most insensitive gift ever...

Options

Replies

• LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    Ok, here's my contribution, one year my husband and I didn't make any plans for Valentines Day until the last minute. He was an hour late getting home, he'd stopped by Walgreens to buy me some chocolate, a light-up rose and valentine-y candle holder. I was a little annoyed because I was hungry and I'd told him earlier I wanted to go out to dinner and of course he was late. I give him my gift, I was pretty proud of it, it was a home-made card...and the glitter and letters hadn't even dried on it yet! :) Needless to say he got to pick the restaurant!

So, which of you do you think got the worse present here? I'm truly curious. I know I'd much rather get chocolate and some v-day junk than a homemade card.

the only gifts my husband kept when we broke up the first time were the ones i made him myself. NONE of the stuff i bought in stores can be found now.
  • rdfhunter
    rdfhunter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My Gf of 12 years gave me a phone charger for my BD. So beat it wasnt funny.
  • britts09
    britts09 Posts: 16
    Options
    BUMP...OMG I have been laughing all afternoon at this thread. Must read the rest later. LOL!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's my contribution, one year my husband and I didn't make any plans for Valentines Day until the last minute. He was an hour late getting home, he'd stopped by Walgreens to buy me some chocolate, a light-up rose and valentine-y candle holder. I was a little annoyed because I was hungry and I'd told him earlier I wanted to go out to dinner and of course he was late. I give him my gift, I was pretty proud of it, it was a home-made card...and the glitter and letters hadn't even dried on it yet! :) Needless to say he got to pick the restaurant!

So, which of you do you think got the worse present here? I'm truly curious. I know I'd much rather get chocolate and some v-day junk than a homemade card.

the only gifts my husband kept when we broke up the first time were the ones i made him myself. NONE of the stuff i bought in stores can be found now.

Did that include cards made of glitter? I mean... if you're sewing a blanket, or making a scrapbook or something I get that. But what's a person supposed to do with a homemade cards? Put it in a box somewhere to never be seen again? Hang it on the wall?

I guess in general I have a different perspective on presents than most of the people posting here. My expectations are low, because what do I really need? If I get something practical (a tool or household item) that we need I figure that saves me from having to buy it in the future. That's a good thing. If I get something trivial that's good for entertainment (movie, candy, etc) I figure that's good for me to have fun for a bit. If I get something I can't use I return it, give it away, or throw it away. I dunno... just thinking out loud I guess.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    just remembered an awesome garage sale find my dad gave me: a carved wooden turtle. Inexplicably, I have no particular affection for turtles, it isn't large enough to be a doorstop or bookend, it's just a wood turtle.

also, Triangular (dessert? salad?) plates printed with the various pool balls (looks like the balls when they're all racked up. We don't play pool....why would I want these?

every year for Christmas he goes to Macy's and makes the perfume counter girls give him all the free stuff they hand out. Then wraps it up as though he bought this gift. So I have a vast collection of duffel bags, mini-perfume samples, tiny lotions, etc. Once in a while this Swag is something cool, mostly it's just swag.

my dad is CHEAP.
  • MMieure
    MMieure Posts: 48
    Options

Did that include cards made of glitter? I mean... if you're sewing a blanket, or making a scrapbook or something I get that. But what's a person supposed to do with a homemade cards? Put it in a box somewhere to never be seen again? Hang it on the wall?

I guess in general I have a different perspective on presents than most of the people posting here. My expectations are low, because what do I really need? If I get something practical (a tool or household item) that we need I figure that saves me from having to buy it in the future. That's a good thing. If I get something trivial that's good for entertainment (movie, candy, etc) I figure that's good for me to have fun for a bit. If I get something I can't use I return it, give it away, or throw it away. I dunno... just thinking out loud I guess.

My most prized gifts that I have received over the years for Mother's day are the cards that my kids have made. A store bought card does NOTHING for me. They are so generic. When my hubby gives me a card I pretend to be so touched but inside I am wondering if he even read the darn thing. Don't get me wrong, if my hubby got me a card for no reason I would be very touched but I am talking about the obligatory birthday/anniversary card. I have kept every home made card my kids have given me. My favorite are the ones with poems they wrote for me. Don't knock a home made gift. They come from the heart!
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    i have to respond to this cause I M dead tired, and only on page 9 but these are SO funny I can't skip any!! gotta say... so far the 3 forker takes the cake. I giggle every time someone brings it up!
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A vacuum cleaner with a note that said "I noticed you didn't have one the last time I visited you". I had cleaned the apartment throughly before they had visited including vacuuming.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    the worst was from my grandma...

a pair of old lady stretch jeans and a sweater with scottie dogs in santa hats on it.

i was 23 at the time. fml.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My current boyfriend is an absolute gem, and I am so glad I dumped the last guy otherwise I would have never met my current.

My ex, owned about 10 genuine Rolex watches..yes, he was very flashy. So for Christmas, I got him a really nice leather watch case that could fit the same amount of watches, and the top was glass and you could see inside, etc etc.

Now, I wear yellow gold. That is what I like... I am traditional and I never got into the white gold/platinum thing. I wear my jewerly and you can see all of it is yellow gold.

For Christimas, he gave me a WHITE gold heart necklace. Like a puffed heart. As soon as I opened the box I knew it was cheap, even the box was like fake blue pleather. I was like "ok thank you but it doesn't match anything I wear? " and he said that white gold was more CLASSY than yellow and he was only going to buy me white gold. I put it on for the day but it kept catching my hair and I knew it was junk.

So we broke up a little while later (not for that reason but that was a sign) and one day I went to Walmart to pick up something and I walk by the jewerly kiosk thing and out of the corner of my eye, I see that they have all those little navy blue leatherette jewerly boxes.

So while he was wearing his dozen Rolexes, I got a necklace from Walmart, that wasn't even my style!!
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options
    My MIL sent me baby books and inside them wrote this is for my FUTURE grandchildren.... After knowing that her son and I had been trying to have a child for almost 2 years!!

3 Months later I got pregnant with my daughter..
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options

i guess it beats my very FIRST mother's day when HE slept in until 1pm, didn't buy me a card, no gift, no breakfast, no nothing. He needs help. How is he alive?
    I know this one when confronted my husband just looked at me and said "what your not MY MOM" mmmmmhmmmm

My first mothers day this past one my Husband worked all day from 5am till about 7pm, went out to lunch with his work buddies to golden coral.. while I sat at home with a 6 week old baby that was constantly crying ALL day. THe only thing I ate was a snack pack of Cheese...

Then when he got home I made dinner while he sat in the living room playing on his computer and didn't even come talk to me.. erggg...

He made up for it Monday though and gave me some time off to go get a pedicure :-)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    My MIL gave me a magazine for Christmas one year. A magazine. Not a subscription, just a magazine. Another year, she gave me 3 forks.
    wtf? im sorry that just mad me lol for real
  • hsquared87
    hsquared87 Posts: 73
    Options
    Every year my mother gives my husband a sweater for Christmas that she tells me she bought for my step dad but that it didn't fit.
  • emeraldpearl
    emeraldpearl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For Christmas, 2006, my daughter's teacher gave her a christmas bear that said" Merry Christmas 1988"
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options

So while he was wearing his dozen Rolexes, I got a necklace from Walmart, that wasn't even my style!!

I bet the Rolexes are fake!! :laugh:

Anyway - WORST gift ever - Flowers after a fight. Flowers don't make up for you being a stupid boy! Duh!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was married for 15 yrs,not one birthdday gift,not one xmass,not one valentines and not one anniversary gift ever.we've sooooo been divorced for 8yrs now.
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Worst gift ever was an electric push lawn mower from my ex who knew that I had been cutting grass before we got married on a riding mower. I wasn't pissed that it was a push mower. I was pissed it was electric. Who cuts grass with something so dangerous! Idiot.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    OMG! These were the best reading. The metalic panties, 3 forks, and vibrating duck... wow. Thanks all for sharing.

My "best" gift was a wedding gift and I don't even remember who it's from. It was a shaped candle... a two tiered water fall wtih rocks around the bottom and plastic seagulls stuck in it. Glad I paid $100 a plate for that guest.