most insensitive gift ever...

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• sunshngirl3
    Options
    My husband gave me a trilogy of Star Treck movies. For someone who likes Star Treck this would be a good gift. I don't care for Star Treck that much. When I asked him why he bought it for me he replied because he wanted them.... See his Birthday was two weeks before and when I asked him what he would want do you think he would have told me about wanting the movies, No. Instead he waits for my birthday two weeks later to give them to me. Then he couldn't figure why I would take them back to the store and get something that I wanted.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    BUMMPING FOR LATER...
  • leopardlushh
    Options
    For my 25th birthday my boyfriend and I drove down to L.A. (not very far) to go to Disneyland. My entry was FREE (birthday special!) and we scored coupons throughout the park due to a family member. Sounds awesome right?! Ya that was until we entered the park and he acted like it was HIS birthday. We ended up going on all the rides he wanted, ate were he wanted (i just wanted a corn dog dammit!), and ended up doing EVERYTHING he wanted!!! The end of the day my feet hurt, my stomach hungry, and "its a small world" was shut down:cry:

He made it up big time the next day by scoring PIXIE tix to the HollyWood Palladium...but he'll never live down his diva behavior on that birthday.
  • katishaw
    katishaw Posts: 5
    Options
    My sis doesn't like spending money and has always bought wierd, cheap gifts. The best ever (or should I say worst!) was when she asked me what I wanted and I said I'd like a rug for the fireplace. She went to a carpet sample shop and got one of those free carpet samples and wrapped it up for me!! I thought it was a joke at first but it wasnt.....
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    WTF????? LOL Why 3 forks?Thats so weird!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    So I've always been a tomboy, and I always will be. It just means that me and my husband have more things to do together since I don't do girlie things...

Anyway...

My cousin came to visit when I was 10 years old. She was closer to 20 at the time. I told her that I really liked Motley Crue and asked her to get me something at the concert she was going to. So here I was expecting a cool rock t-shirt to wear back to school. Nope! My brother got the t-shirt. She bought me a training bra. I was not only pissed, but totally mortified as this present was opened in front of my neighbor (a guy friend) and my dad.
  • dreamtoned10
    Options
    One Christmas my ex ( who is actually a lovely guy but just crap at buying gifts) bought me a blanket, and three mini barbie size ponies, little plastic ones, and a mini hairbrush to brush their hair. I think he thought it was cute, as Im quite girly....but like, Im girlie in that I wear makeup, work as a makeup artist, and the odd time put in hair extensions for nights out!!
    Thats about the extent of the girliness!!

Oh and I was 24 at the time :)
  • dreamtoned10
    Options
    I was given "The idiots guide to playing Guitar".

um. thanks. Happy Valentine's :grumble:

You should have returned the favour by buying him "The idiots guide to buying Gifts" lol
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Mine is not a bad gift story but a lack of gifts.

The in laws never buy me any presents, this I don't mind on my birthday as I simply don't see them around this point, but for Christmas it's always been awkward as they buy presents for my wife, the kids, each other, and anybody else present on the day (such as my Mom) so often I end up being the only one not to receive a present out of about 12 people from them.
  • blackrose80
    blackrose80 Posts: 134
    Options
    This is a brilliant thread! I'm roaring here. LOL.

My mum gave me and my (also overweight) partner a fridge magnet. With two pigs on it. That read "we have got to stop eating like this." I laughed...then sneaked off for a wee cry. lol. Still. Better than 3 forks! :D
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether or not to class these as insensitive so will just call them dumb gifts.

Last Christmas one of my aunts gave me a Justin Beiber book and I was like seriously I hate Justin Beiber and I am 19 and the book was for young teenagers.
    Also last Christmas my Nan got me eye shadow when hell I don't even wear make up like seriously Am I not pretty enough (Kasey Chambers is my favorite singer).
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My sister in law mailed a framed pregnant picture of herself (she did a maternity shoot) to us as a christmas gift, about a month after I miscarried.

That is just horrible, am very sad to hear that. :(
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I have 1 of many idiot gifts from my ex. I guess he has learned his lesson though because his current wife gets gifts like Ipod Touches lol.
    My ex husband went to Micronesia to work for 6 weeks. He had to stop in Hawaii at the army base to get a shot. Except he couldn't get it for 4 days. So here I am stuck in BUFFALO NY with freaking snow to my hips and he calls to tell me he gets to stay there for a few days instead of a few hours. Then tells me, well I was going to get you a leigh and send it to you for our anniversary since you couldn't be here but it I didn't think it was worth it. Instead he brings me home some kind of small carved stick thing. The kids got stuffed animals from the Target he stopped at on the way home.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    hey, those carved stick things are cool! My sister has been to Maui a couple of times and brought back carved coconuts and all sorts of other stuff. The people carve things there by hand! Her first time there she brought me back a grass skirt and some other stuff. It was awesome!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This wasn't a gift to me, but it still makes me laugh every time I think of it.

One Christmas, about 15 or 20 years ago, my grandfather gave all of the men in my family (dad, brother, my husband, my sister's husband) a plastic bottle of Brut. By Faberge. The guys all looked at each other as they opened their gifts and we were all trying not to laugh. Of course, after my grandparents left that evening, we all had a good joke about it.

Well... on my husband's next birthday my brother gave him a couple of gifts and one of them was... his bottle of Brut! That started the whole thing. Those bottles of Brut would show up unexpectedly at birthdays and Christmas every year for at least the next decade. They'd be wrapped fancily or hidden in with other gifts, etc. Every time someone got one, the whole family would be laughing hysterically and I know my poor grandfather had no clue that A: they were the same bottles he'd given them or B: why we all were having so much fun.

It's been awhile since one has popped up... I'm thinking I might need to start that little tradition back up. NO ONE will be expecting it....
  • unaffected
    unaffected Posts: 154
    Options
    My MIL gave me a magazine for Christmas one year. A magazine. Not a subscription, just a magazine. Another year, she gave me 3 forks.

Ok, I don't want to laugh, but I couldn't help it. This sounds like it should be on a sitcom! I'm sorry :(
  • poizonivey
    poizonivey Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My FIL is very cheap, he buys all of his "gifts" at yard sales, thrift stores ect. Well for Christmas he gave his only grandson a rocking horse painted with the name "Luke" on it...my sons name is Bobby! Needless to say we names the HORSE Luke!
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    My MIL bought my 2 year old daughter 6 Barbie's. But they were those retro edition collector Barbies that will be "worth some money one day". She told us we needed to put them up on a shelf and not let her play with them. How do you explain to a 2 year old that she can't play with the dolls - just look at them? If I thought for a minute they would actually be worth something, it may be a different story - but these thing were Mass Produced to be collectible. Maybe in 300 years they will be worth something. But frankly , seeing the joy on my daughters face when she plays with them is worth it to me right now.
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    Do gifts given as kids count? My sister (at 9) gave my mother a doll's arm. Nothing else, just the arm. Who knows where it came from...

My ex would spend money on a gift for me, and then buy the same thing for himself. I got an iPod one year for my birthday, that I didn't ask for and he bought his own at the same time. His birthday is a month after mine and I'd always be at a loss as to what to get him because he'd either have given it to himself already or I didn't have enough in my meager allowance to buy something for him. And then he'd complain about the homemade gifts I'd put all kinds of thought into.
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Options
    I once received a membership to WW and an at home fitness book from my ex. :huh: