(POST 2) BATTLE OF THE BULGE Summer Slimdown Challenge!!!

Options

Replies

• prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    thursday-5.gif

THURSDAY JUNE 16TH – DAY 32! – "BOOT SCOOTIN BOOGIE!" :bigsmile:
    (We are in week 5!)

CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK – This week we are going to focus on maximizing our 5 week weighin! EVERY DAY this week do 3 things…
    1. FILL YOU CUP! - DRINK AT LEAST 64OZ OF WATER
    2. STAY UNDER CALORIES AND LOG YOUR FOOD EVERY DAY
    3. DO AT LEAST 20 MINS OF ACTIVITY EACH DAY!

DAILY CHALLENGE/TIP
    This week we are going to work on doing a little something every day. Our songs each day will be dances so no one has an excuse for not doing sommmething! Today’s challenge is to do all 3 of the weekly challenges and ...

MOTIVATIONAL SONG OF THE DAY
    BOOT SCOOTIN BOOGIE – How to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXTk9FsoI_g&feature=related
    BOOT SCOOTIN BOOGIE – Brooks and Dunn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d05tQrhNMkA

SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    I've seen many question if they should eat their exercise calories...it is very important to ensure you eat properly before a workout to give you the full you get through it and also after to ensure you are replenshing your systems and fueling your muscles properly! Here's a full article that discusses pre workout foods, during workout foods, and post workout foods: http://www.espn.go.com/trainingroom/s/1999/1112/166818.html

More info on post exercise eating: http://blogs.ajc.com/better-health/2009/09/18/thinner-you-what-to-eat-after-your-workout/

What foods work best for you before you workout and after?
    ---
    When I work out first thing in the morning I eat something light such as some apple slices, a bowl of cheerios with skim milk, or 1 slice of whole wheat bread with a tbspon of crunchy peanut butter. As soon as I finish working out on my drive home I eat apples or another slice of whole wheat with peanutbutter (I bring it with me and leave it in the car). I also drink a zero calorie gatorade during workout to keep me fueled.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the Big Losers!!!!!!!! WTG!!!!

I met all the challenges for today and had my massage which was my reward for losing 50#. I can't wait for another one
  • lindsabe11e
    Options
    My favorite thing to eat pre-workout is fruit because it's sweet and it fills me up just enough to get through the tough parts! I definitely cannnnnot workout after drinking too much water or eating something "soupy"; that swishy feeling in the stomach is awful to be jumping around with, haha.
    So, that's just one more incentive (for me, anyway) to stay hydrated throughout the day and after exercising!
  • kristinmkartist
    kristinmkartist Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I try and have a yogurt or a banana. After I have a bowl of cereal or eggs. I use to take a protein shake before I went to the gym but it was to much liq. right before jumping around.

I have been really busy with my new job and next week I am gone for a camping trip in WI. So i will miss Monday's weigh in.
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the evenings after I've eaten dinner so for me its whatever I've eaten for dinner that fuels me and afterwards I usually dont want to eat anymore cuz I dont like to eat much right before I go to bed so I will usually just drink a lot of water to make sure that I keep hydrated :)
  • soshotout
    soshotout Posts: 115
    Options
    I work out in the evenings, so it's usually whatever I have for dinner that fuels my workout, too. Before bed, I eat a bowl of quick cooked oats with sugar free maple syrup. For some reason it helps me sleep and keeps me from getting restless leg syndrome.
  • kacione
    kacione Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For me, my workouts are usually at around 3:00 after I get home from work. At 2:30 I unually have celery and pb or I will have almonds and an apple(whatever fruit I have in the house). I then cook supper after so I usually just drink my water and eat supper at about 6PM. This is what works for me.
    When I walk in the morning I tend to just have a fruit before I walk and then eat breakfast as soon as I get back.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Oops missed the plateau question. I've never reached it until now. I usually gave up before then.

My fave preworkout snack is either apple slices or 1/4 cup of multi-grain Cheerios. Maybe a string cheese.

Also, just wanted to share something I got in the mail, but what could it be...?

00a42c39-1.jpg
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Most of my weekly workouts are after dinner, so whatever I had for dinner fuels my workout. If I have a lot of calories left over after the workout and I am feeling like it, I will have a protein shake (but that is maybe once a week or less)

On the weekends I workout in the morning and I have something small, usually a vitamuffin top pre workout. Fruit and or natural non-salted nuts would be good too. I find I need the fuel or I will not last the workout. After I have my 'real' breakfast, usually eggs or an eggwhite omlette.
  • bmidwinter
    bmidwinter Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually work out after supper so that fuels my work outs. If/when I work out after work I usually make sure I bring an extra piece of fruit to eat in the car on the way to the gym.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    According to my weight training teacher, the best thing to eat before a work out is a banana because its high in potassium and is not a heavy dense food. It wont make you sick to eat a banana and then do a two mile run. She also said that afterwards you should eat a protein and a carb to help replace some of what your body lost. She was really into egg whites and some sort of veggie after a workout. She always pushed mini sweet bell peppers and eggs. I usually exercise in between meals and drink whey protein afterwards to help repair my muscles.
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Friday-Glitters-9.gif

FRIDAY JUNE 17TH – DAY 33! – "We're gonna get funkaaayyy"
    (We are in week 5!)

CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK – This week we are going to focus on maximizing our 5 week weighin! EVERY DAY this week do 3 things…
    1. FILL YOU CUP! - DRINK AT LEAST 64OZ OF WATER
    2. STAY UNDER CALORIES AND LOG YOUR FOOD EVERY DAY
    3. DO AT LEAST 20 MINS OF ACTIVITY EACH DAY!

DAILY CHALLENGE/TIP
    This week we are going to work on doing a little something every day. Our songs each day will be dances so no one has an excuse for not doing sommmething! Today’s challenge is to do all 3 of the weekly challenges and ...

MOTIVATIONAL SONG OF THE DAY
    WALK IT OUT – How to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMHblX16TSA
    WALK IT OUT - DJ Unk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjZM-d_ShI
    CHA-CHA SLIDE - how to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXJVQHz0UZU&feature=related
    CHA-CHA SLIDE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZv62ShoStY

SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    A top weight loss tip is to eat as natural of food as possible. Avoid processed food, or at least food where you can’t pronounce the ingredients. Keep it as natural as possible. Have you discovered ways of enjoying the healthier foods instread of processed foods...or have you created healthier versions to replace the processed foods you liked before?

*Week 4 results are posted on the web site AS WELL AS the archives of our daily posts.

warning.jpg

Starting next week (week 5) EVERYONE will be assigned a day to do the daily post. You will have to fill it out and message to me so it can be posted. I will post everyones names and assigned day on Sunday and we will begin on Wednesday after I post the week 5 results! Be ready!! I will post all the rules for it and how to on the website and will let everyone know when I do! (its easy to do and you will only have to do it once...it will be a fun way to get everyone involved more AND let you ask questions, share tips, and share you're creativitiy!)
  • SiouxPrincess
    SiouxPrincess Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    FOR THUSDAY: I work out first thing in the morning so I really don't feel like eating most of the time I have a cup of green tea and water. Sometimes if I feel a little hungry I eat a cup of dry cereal.

After I have my breakfast, usually wheat bread w/ fat free cream cheese, tomatoes & fat free turkey slices (like a sandwich) and liquid egg white or eggs with salsa. Its so good.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning and it feels great to get the circulation and digestive juices flowing, the skin wakes up and the muscles and tendons rejoice! I usually drink a few ounces of organic aloe vera juice before I go and take plenty of water along. I haven't experienced sloshing in my stomach and I wonder if it's because I drink about a gallon a day? just steady water consumption all day long. I like to eat a banana or half of a raw food bar or if my appetite is up I'll have like a 1/4 cup of unsweetened organic cereal, unsweetened almond milk and banana or blueberries. I like to make my famous smoothie for AFTER my workout, it's running around 300 calories for a large serving. It includes frozen organic fruits, banana, almond milk, filtered water, hemp or flax oil or ground flax seed, raw protein powder or nonfat organic plain yogurt....anyway, you get the idea!

yum!

happy challenge everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • mistyrider
    mistyrider Posts: 36
    Options
    I managed to stay on track calorie-wise today :D I've really benn struggling with that, so I feel great that I did it!

Also got in a long ride yesterday and today (90 min each day, at 16mph) - I've got a ride I'm doing in August, so I really need to ramp up the training, just having trouble finding time :(

But anyhow, I'm going to bed feeling good about what I accomplished today!
  • sheBB
    sheBB Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Thursday's challenge completed.

Before or after a workout I usually have a banana. I drink quite a bit of water during the workout but a banana is great afterwards. I have not reached a plateau as yet, but if/when I do I will definitely remember to advise though. Have a great night all.
  • art4fun69
    art4fun69 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    "SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    A top weight loss tip is to eat as natural of food as possible. Avoid processed food, or at least food where you can’t pronounce the ingredients. Keep it as natural as possible. Have you discovered ways of enjoying the healthier foods instead of processed foods...or have you created healthier versions to replace the processed foods you liked before? "

I have been trying to do this and it is not as easy as one would think, but I have found that Tosca Reno's Clean Eating cookbook and the Clean Eating magazine have some really good recipes. I am not a 100% clean eater yet, but I think I am much better than I was say a year ago.
  • art4fun69
    art4fun69 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    "SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    A top weight loss tip is to eat as natural of food as possible. Avoid processed food, or at least food where you can’t pronounce the ingredients. Keep it as natural as possible. Have you discovered ways of enjoying the healthier foods instead of processed foods...or have you created healthier versions to replace the processed foods you liked before? "

I have been trying to do this and it is not as easy as one would think, but I have found that Tosca Reno's Clean Eating cookbook and the Clean Eating magazine have some really good recipes. I am not a 100% clean eater yet, but I think I am much better than I was say a year ago.

For those of you that like Larabars (which are totally clean) this link was posted on MFP for recipes to make your own: http://www.healthhabits.ca/2010/06/18/homemade-larabar-recipes/
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Girl you are so awesome with the song choices WALK IT OUT is my FAVORITE and I seriously can't help but walk it out like a pimp when I hear it hahahaha....also yesterday I got on the BOB website from my home computer and was actually able to listen to the songs on there and I immediately wanted to get up and start dancin hahaha so much props to you again for all your hard work you put into this it is very motivating!!!!

As far as for the natural foods I have definitely started eating less processed food since starting this journey mainly just to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet and less packaged snacks...except i love quaker rice cakes lol and I try to cook fresh meats and things like that instead of buying prepackaged foods.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Since me step daughter is with us and off of school, I've been committed to swimming in the morning. Otherwise, I will hear all day that we didn't go! :laugh: So, I swim .25 miles every morning and run 2.5 miles in the afternoon, usually when it is 97 degree outside. Plus, I try to get my EA active workout in for the evening, been doing great this week! so excited and I can feel a change