(POST 2) BATTLE OF THE BULGE Summer Slimdown Challenge!!!

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• summer_of_69
    summer_of_69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm really impressed by everyone's hard work and effort - you all inspire me!

Kristy, thanks so much for being our fearless and dedicated leader - you are making a HUGE difference in all of our lives!

I'm not so much going to post a new thing I'll try (since I tried a veggie dog the other day already), but have a question. Tomorrow I'm going to a co-worker's going-away party at a bar. I want to participate/partake, but not sure if there are any low-cal alcoholic beverages someone can recommend other than lite beer? (Thankfully the place we're going to has good salads and things like that.)

Also, I'm worried I'll end up noshing on nachos and pretzels (big buttery ones, not the low-fat ones) - I have not yet been tested like this before. I can use some support, ideas, etc to help me make it through tomorrow night!

Thanks,
    summer
  • elcar7
    elcar7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kristy, you are really inspiring to us all and all the time you're spending for us is amazing! Thank you so much!

For the new food I tried some tofu coconut balls with vegetables, since I had all the ingredients at home and the recipe was on the packing. At first I was sceptic but then I turned out to taste really good and the tofu coconut balls were only 254 kcals :)

@summer_of_69's question: Gin Tonic is quite okay in calories, it's about 100-150 kcals per glass, there are several options in the database already.
    for the pretzels and things like that, a friend calls them character food, since it strengthens you, when you don't even start eating them. It's easier not even starting, that's at least what I try to do, because I know, when I start I'll eat them all ;)
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm going to a co-worker's going-away party at a bar. I want to participate/partake, but not sure if there are any low-cal alcoholic beverages someone can recommend other than lite beer? (Thankfully the place we're going to has good salads and things like that.)

Also, I'm worried I'll end up noshing on nachos and pretzels (big buttery ones, not the low-fat ones) - I have not yet been tested like this before. I can use some support, ideas, etc to help me make it through tomorrow night!

Thanks,
    summer
    Hey Summer! To deal with that type of thing, I have really made the effort lately to plan ahead. I'll think of which thing I want to snack on, and look up the calories ahead of time and budget for it. Really, I still eat junk if I want to, I just control the portion sizes if I do that. To drink, a wine spritzer might be good, or just a glass of wine. Last time I had wine, I looked up the info for white zinfandel - my wine of choice - and 4 oz. is between 80 and 100 calories depending on the brand. Last,if you do slip up, remember it's a fresh start tomorrow - one day at a time (remember that show?) :)
    Have fun!
    Nancy
    Good luck
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Summer,

Unfortunately, alcohol is made up of sugar, so less calories = less taste. Anyhow, what I would suggest is to limit the alcoholic drinks to 1 and then have either water or unsweetened tea.

As far as food, there isn't much that is "healthy", but you can ask if they have salsa....if they do, chips and salsa is healthier than nachos.

If you have anymore questions....feel free to message me.

TTFN,
    R
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hey Summer,

You can have a selzer water with a splash of cranberry juice and slice of lime. Looks like a real drink with minimal calories. Also you can have a healthy snack before you go so it will make it easier to avoid the chips & bad stuff.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm really impressed by everyone's hard work and effort - you all inspire me!

Kristy, thanks so much for being our fearless and dedicated leader - you are making a HUGE difference in all of our lives!

I'm not so much going to post a new thing I'll try (since I tried a veggie dog the other day already), but have a question. Tomorrow I'm going to a co-worker's going-away party at a bar. I want to participate/partake, but not sure if there are any low-cal alcoholic beverages someone can recommend other than lite beer? (Thankfully the place we're going to has good salads and things like that.)

Thanks,
    summer

I will sometimes have flavored vodka, soda water and limes (oranges too if they have it). Also try vodka or rum, soda water and a splash of MIO drink flavorer! :D Cheers!
  • summer_of_69
    summer_of_69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I will plan ahead and figure out what I will/won't consume. I will eat beforehand, allow myself one Amstel Light and then drink spritzer, and if I do desire something, I'll get an order of hummus w/ veggies tray. Will let you know how it goes!
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    friday.jpg

*sorry I'm posting this late - I had a dinner event I had to put on for work and got home really late!*:ohwell: Quick note: I can't STAND when a web site is too slow:explode: and ours has gotten that way! :sad: I am working on redesigning it so it loads quicker:bigsmile: ...if you want to see the results and can't load the site message me your email address and I'll send to you. I'm also going to randomly assign the challenges for the next 4 weeks so people can see when they go in advance - that was my bad:frown: - I didn't advertise I was doing that as much as I should have:ohwell:

Friday, June 24 - DAY 39! - "Fun Friday!" :love:

This post is brought to you by jabbogurl:drinker:

CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK
    Try something new!

DAILY CHALLENGE/TIP
    How many people have trouble getting their serving of fruits and veggies in for the day? Why not try making a morning smoothie, fill it up with some low fat youghurt, spinach and some berries. This is a great way to get lots of veggies in, without even realizing it! Also, try more new veggies by mixing them with things you are comfortable with. Today's challenge is to try to get those servings of fruits AND veggies!

MOTIVATIONAL SONGS OF THE DAY
    1. London Bridge-Fergie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_FGXii8v3U
    2. "The Rockafeller Skank" - Fatboy Slim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMrIy9zm7QY
    *we have people from Australia to Austria of all backgrounds, ages, and ethnicities so my songs will be varied each day to accommodate ;-)

SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    How do you mix in new veggies into your foods?

STAY MOTIVATED: VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.wix.com/prplangl4/battleofthebulge
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Last night I put two bags of stir fry veggies and pineapple into the Hawaiian teriyaki sauce I made last night. My family was forced to eat veggies if they wanted to flavor their brown rice. I love eating veggies and fruit. Last year I tried to lose weight on juicing and it worked a little. I love juicing pears and other fruit in with my veggies. There was a smoothie on Kathie Lee and Hoda's morning TV show. They were trying a smoothie that is supposed to reduce bloating and improve how your skin looks. It is supposed to make your skin glow. You have to drink this first thing in the morning, before you eat anything else. The premise is that eating fruit after a more complex food, the fruits and veggies will ferment in your stomach; which causes bloating. If you eat/ drink your fruits/ veggies first, they digest first and then there isn't any fermentation to cause bloat. Supposedly it also gives your all of your daily fruits and veggies in the morning and helps improve your skin. Here is the recipe that I got from the tv show. You will need a REALLY good blender to get this stuff smooth.

Glowing Green Smoothie
    Makes 2 servings, 16 ounces each

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 head organic Romaine lettuce, chopped
    3-4 stalks organic celery
    1/2 head organic spinach
    1 organic apple, cored and chopped
    1 organic pear, cored and chopped
    1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems OK)
    1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems OK)
    1 organic banana
    Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon

Directions
    Add water, chopped head of romaine lettuce to the blender. Starting the blender on a low speed, mix until smooth. Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple, pear, cilantro and parsley. Add the banana and lemon juice last.

It takes about 10 minutes to make and you can prepare in advance. It will last up to 2 days in the fridge. You can also make it once a week and freeze in portion-size glass containers. Thaw them out the night before.

Why should I drink this: It's a daily detox. Sixteen ounces is 100 percent of the USDA-recommended total daily amount of veggies for women. It is 20 ounces for men. Since the vegetables and fruits are chopped and blended, you body doesn't have to do the breaking down to get the nutrients. The fiber in it also helps you to feel full so you don't overeat.

I used the recipe maker on MFP and it says that the calories are way higher than what it is advertized as. Supposedly its only 87 calories a serving but I that it was much higher than that. The nutritional information for half the recipe:

Calories 239
    Total Fat 1 g
    Saturated 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 265 mg
    Potassium 698 mg
    Total Carbs 56 g
    Dietary Fiber 14 g
    Protein 6 g
    Sugars 28 g
    Vitamin A 149%
    Vitamin C 184%
    Calcium 25%
    Iron 36%
  • kirianna55
    Options
    Today I surprised myself and now I have a new NSV . I did not want to exercise today, but I pushed myself and did. Exercise 1 from jillian michaelMs 30DS. I feel so much better now that I did it. I even did extra core exercises from one of her other DVDs.I can't wait to see results.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i have to say that ivenever had a problem eating veggies and fruits.....i eat salads alot but i have found an organic mix that i like...it is called 50/50 baby green mix.....it is made by organic girl....it is great...crisp and fresh all the time, and triple washed....i also love fruit, grapes raisins apples, etc....i try to have fruit and veggies with every meal.....but i have started to put my greens into wraps with sandwich meat and incorporate veggies that way too
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    03.gif

Saturday, June 25 - DAY 40! - 'HERE IN MY CARbS!':tongue:

CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK
    Try something new!

DAILY CHALLENGE/TIP
    Many people try to do all kinds of things to 'help' with their weight loss progress, and one I've heard alot and seen on MFP talked about is Carbs! Some people say they try no to eat a lot at all and that's what helped them lose weight...but evidence has shown no carb diets do not aid in long term weight loss, and we're all about life long weight loss and healthy living!!! (am I right...)

SO I found this article: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=590
    For today's challenge I want everyone to follow one of the main steps for handling carbs:

Limit the following to less than 2 servings daily (we will do just for today and see how you do):
    Fruit Juice
    Refined and processed white flour products (bread, muffins, bagels, rolls, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal)
    White rice
    French fries
    Fried vegetables

:huh: Can you do it?!? Think about this article and the tips in it long term (try it for a week) and see your results!

MOTIVATIONAL SONGS OF THE DAY
    1. Cars - Gary Numan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw
    (I did this one because it sounds like carbs..."here in my carbs" :laugh:
    2. Jump Jive An'Wail - Brian Setzer Orchestra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWcN5YxuYc

*we have people from Australia to Austria of all backgrounds, ages, and ethnicities so my songs will be varied each day to accommodate ;-)

SHARE YOUR SECRETS TO SUCCESS:
    :huh: Do you know anything about carbs or do you have a healthy carb you like to eat?? How do you curb your desire for bad carb foods?

STAY MOTIVATED: VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.wix.com/prplangl4/battleofthebulge *this will be updated to load faster soon!*

BE ON THE LOOKOUT - I'LL BE POSTING THE NEXT 4 WEEKS OF PEOPLE WHO WILL DO DAILY CHALLENGES AND YOUR DAYS (Ill message each of you 'chosen ones' too!)
  • elcar7
    Options
    Although it's only 8 in the morning, I can definitely say that I'll be able to to that, since we're only buying organic (if there is) and whole wheat stuff, except for risotto rice, since we haven't found a fullkorn rice to make risotto, but normal rice is fullcorn.
    luckily we don't have risotto planned today ;) (I love it and can't resist it)

about the fruit juice, do you mean the bought and processed ones or the homemade from your own fruit. I only drink water, because I know otherwise I am stealing calories I could eat otherwise ;)
    the problem I've noticed while eating some fruit (in veggies it's not that problem) I'm always over on sugar, which is because of the fruit sugar, which is supposed to be the good one!
    I don't care about what the tracking says, and eat my fruit.

To get the full amount of fruit I usually have a plain yoghurt with an apple for breakfast, at lunchtime we are eating almost always having a side or main salad or loads of veggies and in the evening I try to add something like tomatoes, cucumbers to whatever I eat.
    Limit the following to less than 2 servings daily (we will do just for today and see how you do):

And the good carb - bad carb thing: I try to eat a little from everything and not to forbid anything, since I know otherwise I will crave for it someday. Usually I don't have the urge to eat carbs.
    The problem sometimes is chocolate, where I haven't found a way to get around yet. I the last 2 weeks or so I luckily didn't even have the desire to eat some deliberately, but it'll come back, I know. but if there was a pile of chocolate in front of me, i would eat it! my theory is that if I don't eat it for long enough, there won't be a desire for it so often.

Have a great weekend!

ps: It works all perfectly in theory, but I do have (too many) bad days as well!
  • elcar7
    Options
    what I just read on facebook because of the ehec-"cucumber"-epidemia in germany, which turned out to be something completely different sprouted vegetables.

so take care of simple kitchen hygiene and add up to your veggies.

let's celebrate the international cucumber day on sunday 26!

http://de-de.facebook.com/event.php?eid=210699465635754
  • kirianna55
    Options
    I like homemade smoothies and juice. That way I know exactly what is in it. I try to cut out non organic fruits and veggies whenever possible. The few exceptions are think skined fruits like oranges and watermellon.
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have tried no carb diets in the past and it is really difficult to completely eliminate carbs completely but this time I have tried to cut back and make substitutions mainly because of trying to control my diabetes so today's challenge wont be too difficult since I already stay away from high carb foods :)
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i do this everyday due to being diabetic....i eat some carbs, but i dont eat potatoes or rice unless its brown, i drink only water and an occasional diet soda.....
  • Denise11161978
    Options
    My PCOS forced me to remove carbs but I still take in the good carbs like fruit and homemade fruit juices. I know I can not give those up...
  • kirianna55
    Options
    I just want to share this with people since everybody is doing such a good job losing weight. I created this lotion mixture that does a really good job on my skin.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/272381-worried-about-sagging-skin-here-s-a-way-to-fix-it