SWaT Walking Group - June

Options

Replies

• Redneckgirl924
    Options
    Hi, my name is Ann and I was looking at the message boards and I would like to join your group if you would let me. You all seem like you get along really well and really motivate each other and that's what I need. I have joined another walking group but all we do is log miles and that's great, it's keeping me accountable for miles, but there's really not a lot of interaction going on. You seem to banter off each other and give suggestions and that's what I need.

I hope you all have a good evening!

Ann
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Evening all, thanks for the welcome! I only got about 10 min walk in today, but I did do 20 minutes of exercise video.

Teresa, I know you'll pull yourself out of your slump. You did the right thing getting some exercise, it's amazing what it'll do to you. You are going to LOVE your HRM. It's addicting to see how many cals you burnt and then the next time you wear it, your going to push yourself harder to get more cals. I love mine and it irrates me that it took me so long to break down and buy one.
    Also great job on your swim today, I wish I had access to a pool where I could swim.

Jenny, awesome job on your bike ride. Sounds like alot of fun!! I would like to get a new bike, (or at least a seat that fits my butt), but not feasible at this time, maybe next year or later this fall. The one I have will have to do for now, (skinny seat and all)

Ann, I'm a new one here, but from me to you welcome. This group is all you read about!!

have a great evening everyone!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Mary and Ann. We're glad you are joining us. This is a wonderful group, everyone is so motivating and helpful.

Teresa, We all have slumps, especially me. I'm right there with you with the weight gain. I've got to get off about 5 lbs of regain but I know I will do it. I've just got to get back to a regular exercise routine. I am going to join the YMCA but maybe not until after our bike ride next weekend. Maybe sooner if my husband gets a chance to go by and sign up. I really want to try out the water aerobics class for some reason.

Jenny, bike riding is great. My neighborhood just isn't made for it though and the weather here has just been so humid and hot.

For anyone that is interested in the Relay for Life . . . . It was like one big all night party. There was a large track set up at one of the nearby raceways and booths lined both sides all the way around. There was a big stage in the middle with entertainment all night long. They even had zumba demonstrations! The best thing was the womanless beauty pageant. Those guys really gave it their all. Kariokoe (spelling?) was a hoot. I really enjoyed getting to know some of my coworkers. You'd be surprised how relaxed everyone gets at 4:00 in the morning. There was food, games, raffles & contests everywhere. I actually won a hand made quilt. I can't remember what it looks like but they are going to deliver it to my work one day next week. It was a carnival like atmosphere and very family friendly. The best buy booth next to ours had kids playing wii all night long. I don't know where they got the energy. I highly recommend attending or volunteering on a Relay for Life if you get the chance. I'm so glad I did. I have never been so tired and slept off and on all day yesterday but it was worth it. So many people coming together for a wonderful cause. I'm glad I got to be a part of it.

:flowerforyou:
  • Redneckgirl924
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome Mary and Sandy. I can't wait to get into better shape with all of you and get to you know you all better.

Sandy - you will love the water aerobics. I did that a year ago at our local fitness center and loved it. It's a good workout but it doesn't feel like you're working out at all. It does take a little while to get use to trying to stay in one place if you're a little top heavy like I was. It was like having built in floation devices that wouldn't let you do what you need to do. :blushing: The water is so relaxing and after 30-45 minutes you are zen like. It's great! This year I'm going to start doing the water walking at our local pool in their lazy river. That starts tomorrow and I can't wait.

I agree with Mary the HRM is great. I'm always trying to figure out how I can push myself further with mine and I love how you can track weeks of your exercise at once.

Have a good evening everyone!

Ann
  • TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ann! We would Love to have You join us :flowerforyou:
    I understand exactly what your saying, I had the same experience with another group. Interaction is very important for me as well.

Mary.... Thank You! Thats great you got 30 minutes of exercise in. What DVD did you use?

Sandara...... The "RELAY FOR LIFE" really sounded awesome. Did your hubby go too? It sounds like a Great thing to be involved in. I'm sure you can't wait to join the YMCA, do they have a pool? I also wanted to join a water aerobics class, but really can't afford it. So I was thinking today while I was in my pool to buy those water exercise thingy's :blushing: . im not sure if there actually weights but I'll look into that.

Jenny... Sounds like a beautiful bike ride. Take some pic's & post on your profile. I use a sunscreen of 110 proof, It works GREAT! But I forgot to put it on the day I went out on the boat & I got fried. I'm So dark now, it isn't funny.
    I think the heat has kept me from doing my walks. I feel sorry for your friend with asthma, UGH!!! The heat must be aweful for her.

Night Night!! 10:20 is past my bedtime :blushing:
    Have a Great week everyone!!

MARY & ANN It's really nice you've joined us :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Teresa any HRM that you will use is the right one. My proform has worked fine for over a year, and the batteries are easy to change. The chest straps do get to be something you forget about, they are no more of a bother than a bra strap. I went shopping the other day and discovered in the fitting room that I still had mine on. OOOPs. Really just went for the walk and became distracted.

Sandara the relay for life sounds wonderful. Exercise that serves two purposes, what could be better. The beauty pagent sounds great!

Welcome Ann and Mary, we do get busy and sidetracked, but also enjoy each others company. It's a lovely little group and we are happy to have you join us.

Glad to hear things have gotten better over the weekend Kathy. I love sorting and organizing things. It always makes me wonder how they got in such disarray in the first place.

Jenny I hope your friend can control her asthma, the heat and all the pollen in the air now must present a real challenge.
    7 miles of good bike paths, Wow! We are very rural and just ride on the road, which is very curvy and narrow so not to safe.
    But it is a beautiful area to ride or walk in. We have several walking neighbors and three riding neighbors. My GRDK's are riding bikes now. I worry about them out on the road. My grandson is more than just a little to independent.

Today was a stretch, up at 5:30 a.m. to dig plants from the nursery beds for the park. A little farm work, off to church, scope out the church yard and gardens for improvements. Home to cook for DS and DIL's anniversary 12 years, they are way to young for it to have been that long. A little farm work, off to the evening get together. Managed to eat well but did have a cream cheese bar. Tsk, tsk, tasty! Oh and a glass of Alice White. Home for my night check on the critters and off to bed.

See you all in the new week. Alice
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Well, I've been so off track for several weeks now. So I decided to try the ticker again to keep me on the walking path. I hope I can keep it up :wink:

I just walked 5.3 miles and I'm heading to work soon :frown: .
    I just have to force myself to get up earlier to get those walks in before work :grumble:

Alice.... I'm sure your right about the HRM strap. There can't be anything worse then the dreaded bra.
    Congratulation to your Son's 12 yr anniversary.. That's a good Sign :bigsmile: LOL!!! I think getting up at 5:30 AM is just way to early for me :blushing: . I'm trying to wake up at 6:30 so I can get walking by 8 AM or even 9 AM.

Ooops, I better get a move on. Time for early lunch & off to work
    You All Have a wonderful day :happy:
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,265 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ann, glad you found us! We are a nice group and wouldn't it be fun to meet some day?

Teresa-The FT7 was also highly recommended especially if you want to upload your workouts to the Polar site and keep track of your progress. I only wanted to know how I did per workout so didn't spend the extra money for that feature. Either one is a good HRM. You'll love it! It feels good to know accurate calorie burn so when you go to eat back you don't over do it. I like wearing it gardening, shopping, etc. to see how my body burns calories during activities I do during the day.

Sandy-The Relay for Life sounds so fun! I think there might be one here in the fall. I'll have to pay attention and get involved with it.

No exercise tonight, writing a report for work. The clock is ticking and I have two reports left to write and files to close out before Friday ends. It will get done!

Have a nice evening!
    Jenny
  • Redneckgirl924
    Options
    Thanks again for making me feel so welcomed here.

Alice - I have to say I envy you getting up at 5:30. I could set the alarm for that, but I would still end up sleeping until 7:00 am. I'm not a morning person, Oh how I wish I was, and so does my husband, he's tired of getting me up in the morning, because I sleep through the alarm.

Jenny - It would be fun to meet everyone. Maybe when we all meet our goal we can get together and celebrate and reward ourselves for all the hard work. I hope everyone has a lot of time to wait on me. I think it will take me a year or two to lose all my weight. I can't seem to get that scale to go down as fast as I want it too.

Teresa - Good job on the 5.3 miles walk.

I did the water walking tonight for an hour and 36 minutes and was depressed when I found out I only walked 3.5 miles. I thought if I can do a mile on land in 15-20 minutes that I should have done at least 6 miles in the water with that time. Guess not, but I'm sure wiped out from it. The only good news is my HRM said I burned 756 calories so I must of worked out harder than I thought. I'm going to do it again tomorrow.

Going to bed now ladies! Keep up the good work and I hope to talk with you all soon.

Ann
  • mbvenske
    Options
    Ann, walking against or in water is hard, I can believe you burnt that many cals, good for you.

I didn't feel up to par yesterday, I feel myself slipping into a depression. I hate it when that happens. I'm interested to see how I handle it tho, because pre MFP I would just crawl in bed and pull the covers over my head. Yesterday I did make myself go for a walk. It was more like a stroll down by the river, but I was moving. Then I worked last night and made myself do the 30 day shred dvd this morning when I got home. Now, I'm ready to brush my teeth and head to bed. I have to work again tonight. Friday I go back on my month of days, so that should help.

You all have a great day, and super fantastic job with all the exercise you all are getting! :flowerforyou:
  • sandara
    Options
    NO MORE EXCUSES!

For me that is . . . I've really been thinking about myself for the last few days. I've been spending all my time making excuses for not exercising. I don't need to spend money joining a gym or curves to exercise. I have plenty of workout dvd's, weights and various equipment right here at home. I've just been choosing not to use them. The only thing stopping me is ME, so it's time for me to get my butt back to work and quit goofing around.

I've also realized that I eat more when I don't exercise. Somehow the exercising helps keeps me on track. It's like I don't want to wipe out all my hard work eating extra calories but if I don't work out I don't feel like I have anything to lose. Isn't that crazy? :laugh:

Anyway, I'm going to go back to what was working, meaning the Walk away the Pounds. I started off tonight doing the 4 mile Punch up your Walk and it feels great. I have plans tomorrow night but I'll be back at it Thursday.

So here I go again! :bigsmile:
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Sandara, I hear ya! Me too. Once I stopped my walks I went down hill quickly and the treadmill was not as good as the outdoor walking. I've always said that to myself "I HAVE everything I need at home" so why spend money at a GYM. Every time I did sign up I would go for 3 to 4 weeks and then give up. Also along with what you said, The last two days since going back to walking I have cut back on my eating. Good Luck!! :drinker:

Mary.... YIKES!! Come on here and talk please.... Don't go into depression. That is a horrible feeling. If you need to talk you can send me a message, friend me. Don't go it alone. I liked that you went on that stroll by the river, that must be relaxing. And your awesome that you did the 30 day shred. Stay strong & stick with us the depression will pass.

Ann...... Water aerobics or just swimming in the pool is an excellent workout. 1 1/2 hours IS awesome! Keep it up, its best on the joints & toning. If my hubby would keep the darn pool clean, I would be in it every day. I wish it was screened in so it would stay clean from leaves :bigsmile:

Jenny..... I have No interest in up loading anything to a polar site. I also just want to know what calories I burned. I don't need no fancy stuff. An old friend had mentioned the polar ft7 before, SO :ohwell: i went with that. I hope I don't have any problems setting it up. I guess i'll know soon enough :wink:

See you all on here tomorrow, hopefully after my long walk.

Have a wonderful Night see you in the morning
    :heart: Teresa
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Melting, I'm melting! That's a wish I think.

It is very hot here after a very long cool spring it is a bit of a shock, but that's Wisconsin.
    97 balmy degrees, just perfect for yard work. I did about an hour of heavy garden work and that was enough. Not because of the heat but because of the damned bugs. I have bites on bites. Horse flies, deer flies, mosquitos, black flies and me the only meal in sight. I give up, I'm in for the evening. They were not so bad a little earlier, I think it was too hot for them!

I am cranking the paper work right now, trying to get this over with so I can move on. Here's hoping.

Mary, try moving some everyday, and don't give up. I hate depression, it uses up so much of our precious time. I find that a good workout helps. Please feel free to friend me as well.

Sandara, Yay for you on the recommitment. One step starts the journey, sitting down for a short while does not end it.

Ann, walking against the water is hard work. Good for you 1 1/2 hours is really impressive.

Teresa, I don't think you will have any problems setting you HRM up. They all work about the same, some just have fancier features than others. I have to retrieve my chest strap it's in my DIL's purse.

Time for a shower to cool these bites down. I'll check my color in the mirror to see if I need a transfusion!:bigsmile: Alice
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! I haven't gottrn back to formal walking yet but am still averaging 4-6 miles a day at work. I have started adding either outdoor walks or walking with Leslie on the weekends, though. Sandy--It does help with the weekend eating, I've found!

I hope you all have a great day and I will try to get back later!
  • Redneckgirl924
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

I didn't get to log in yesterday, but I'm here today. I have to admit on the water walking, I wouldn't of probably did the hour and half if it wasn't for my daughter. She's 17 now and doesn't spend alot of time with the family, because parent's at her age aren't cool you know. So when she wanted to do this with me, I jumped on it and I wanted to keep doing it as long as I can. She's planning on doing the water walking with me at least 3 times a week. Yay!

Mary- Please talk to us. I don't want to see you go into depression, because it's no fun. I'm glad to hear that you did walking and the 30 day shred instead of crawling back to bed. Kudos to you! Keep it up. You can add me as a friend as well.

Sandy - Awesome job on the 4 mile punch. Keep up the good work!

Teresa - You will do just fine with setting up your polar equipment. They are easy to use and if you need help with anything just ask. I love mine and I don't download mine on the computer either. I just use mine to see how many calories I was burning and to help me control when I needed to speed up or slow down in my workouts.

Alice - I know what you mean with the bites, I live in Indiana, but I bet your garden looks great. When you're done with yours, do you want to do mine? I haven't found time to pull the weeds out of mine. Hopefully this weekend.

Kathy - I envy you getting 4-6 miles a day of walking at work. I'm lucky if I get a half a mile in at work, if it wasn't for all the water I drink at work and the multiple trips to the bathroom I wouldn't even get that.

I hope you ladies have a great day!

Ann
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hello Ladies, Good morning!

Ann................That's So nice you'll be spending quality time with your teenage daughter. I remember that age to well :bigsmile:
    Jenny.......... Think Vacation, Vacation Vacation :drinker: YAY!! one whole month

My Third day back walking & I'm feeling so much better. I'm really starting to believe the whole trick to this weight loss is in the exercise. I'm sure if you eat way below your calorie goal alone it should work, But I haven't tried that. :wink:
    Well I walked 6.2 miles to the Pompano Park & around the 1 mile track twice.

I'm setting my clock for 6:10 am, I shower, grab a bite to eat and out the door by 8 AM and back by 10 am. I should be able to keep this up even on my work days. (I'm crossing my fingers and toes for that one :laugh: )
    My scale is all out of whack, yesterday morning I weighed 154 pounds UP by 7 pounds :frown: and now the scale is reading 150 pounds. I hope Im not needing another scale already. I'll give it a week and see how it does before buying another or maybe I need a new battery :ohwell: .

You all have a wonderful Wednesday.
  • mbvenske
    Options
    Thanks for all the support ladies, I was led to this site for a reason, you gals must be it. :love:

I am feeling much better today. Not quite myself, but better. However I'll be honest, last night at work, about 2 am, everything just crashed. I cried, I felt better, I cried some more, and then I ate 5 oatmeal choc chip cookies that someone had made. Then I felt guilty. Made myself drink extra water and came home this morning and went to bed. When I woke up at noon, I went for a walk, and felt much better after that. I did about 40 minutes and worked up a good sweat. Went grocery shopping and didn't buy any junk food, all healthy stuff for me and my boys.

Ann, I envy you your time with your daughter. My oldest son is 24 and living about 150 miles from home. (I know could be worse), but he's not a phone person so I don't get much time with him. We do texting tho.

Teresa, sounds like your scaling is playing with you!! I'm glad I gave mine up for a month. Especially after this week.

Well, gotta go, my 7 & 10 yr old are yelling their lungs out at each other!! :indifferent:

Have a nice evening all!!
  • sandara
    Options
    Wow! Everyone is doing great!

Mary, I'm glad your feeling better. I've heard that exercise is one of the best things for depression. Being depressed is really what got me started exercising last year. I had been jobless for almost a year and getting more & more depressed. Something made me start exercising and it really did make a difference.

Teresa, I agree with you about exercising being the trick. Every time I stop I start gaining again. It does make me wonder if I'll ever find that maintenance balance when the time comes.

Sorry about the bug bites Alice. We've been lucky here so far. Usually the mosquitoes are horrible but I guess they are avoiding the heat too.

My plans for the evening got put off so I did another 4 mile workout. I think it was the 4 really big miles. I'm really trying to get back on my routine but my boss brought us all a McDonald's sundae this afternoon :sad: and I ate it. But I am still just barely under if I count my exercise calories which I usually don't. I have to learn how to say "NO Thank you"!
  • mbvenske
    Options
    good morning all! How is everyone today? Doing pretty good here. Got up and did a 45 minute walk today, then spent an hour trying to get our pool clean. The boys are ready to swim, and after we filled it and I treated it, it all turned brown. Now I'm doing the vacuuming and all that crap to try to get the iron out. YUCK!!

Sandy, great job on your walk, that is awesome.

It is really nice today, almost cold, which suits me just fine. But I think I'm going to get some laundry done and then take the boys down to the river. There is a damm here called Blanchard dam and it's one of the only places in the United States that because of the way the water falls, and the type of rock, cross rocks are produced. So, we are going to go hunting for some cross rocks. Here's a website if anyone is interested in what a "cross rock" is. http://www.littlefallsmn.com/CrossRocks.php

Have a great day all!!
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I was on earlier & wrote this long post & then got disconnected before I could finish Grrrrrrrrrr :grumble:

Any How, Im back But i won't bother with the long message again :blushing:

Mary...... Thanks For sharing about the Cross Rock, I enjoyed! I hope you find some & it brings you lots of luck :wink:

Sandara.... Don't feel to Bad, I just gorged again last night, minutes before hitting the bed. I had 4 slices of cheese & a banana UGH!!!!!! I do fantastic all Day & then night comes & the demons come out :devil:

I walked 5.7 miles this morning to Pompano Park & around track twice. It was cloudy all Day, But No rain :frown: .
    We need rain desperately, we are under a water restriction to only water twice a week on certain days. And my husband forget's to turn them on . So YES!!!!! Are grass is burnt :ohwell:

Oh, Yeah!!! I just got my HRM in the mail tonight & just minutes ago I set the watch. Now I just need to figure the strap thing out. I'm anxious to try it out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it right :bigsmile:

Have A wonderful Night & YES!!!! THANK GOD tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!