"Totally Tall" Women of MFP (5'9" and up) Open Group

Options

Replies

• af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Is there an actual group for Totally Tall Women or just this thread? I found a like from 2011 but it doesn't work anymore. If there is a group, will someone please post the link?
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    5'10 and totally in! Size 10.5 shoe (do they think people with big feet have NO TASTE in shoes???), size 10 pants. Dislike. But i DO love the extra calories i'm allowed...
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    6'1". Love being a tall gal. I love to wear high heels. I always say, "If I'm not scaring people, I'm not tall enough."
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Oh Lawd yes! I have the same noisy problems, with my knees, it's embarassing. Mine are...crunchy. It's really gross and I literally could not sneak up some stairs on someone they are so loud. My sister (I'm 6'1", she's about 5'10") has it too. I also have a guy friend who's about 6'4" and he commiserates with me about it.
    A doctor told me one time it's like a lever when you squat down (your knee joint) and think about it, it makes sense. The longer the lever, the more pressure it has to endure. The shorter the lever, tle less pressure. And sister, I've got some loooonnnngggg legs.
    We just have to find modifications so we can keep it going. I wish I knew all this when I was younger so I didn't destroy my cartilidge in my knees. sigh.[/quote]

Oh, I soooo know the crunchy knees. Going up and down the stairs in my house - crunch, crunch, crunch!
  • immortalities
    immortalities Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and everything that fits me around the way, comes up short on me. *deep sigh*
    But still, I wouldn't make myself any shorter if given the option!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I'm coming a little late to this party...better late then never I always say. Anyways, I'm 5'10" and am super happy I'm tall. Like the OP said, it's freeking hard to find pants that fit and I recently discovered there's a difference between "long" jeans and "tall" jeans. Apparently I need to be buying talls, because longs are just a little too short.

Also, finding a man who is taller than you can be a little challenging. Luckily for me, I snagged a hubby who is 6'4" so I can wear tall shoes and still be shorter than him! I can't wait to see how our two little boys sprout. Our 4 year old is already taller than average. A lot of people mistake him for a 5 or 6 year old.

I weigh 195 right now (down 20lbs so far, woot woot!) and I'm feeling really good. I can't wait until I reach 170, I'M GONNA BE SO SKINNY! It's going to be great. I've got big boobs, a curvy waist and wide hips. I'll be ROCKIN' it when I get down to my goal weight.

• ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    how do I find this thread when I want it? help help help. By tomorrow I won't be able to find it, I fear.

By the way, I bought Eddie Bauer men's tall (long) jeans relaxed . Don't get the regular jeans mens in your size. The men's tall (long) jeans have an extra inch and half in the rise (longer zipper).
  • Testami73
    Options
    Whoot! So glad this thread got bumped back to the top!

I'm 6'2" and working on a kickstart to renewed weight loss.

:-) Tami
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'' and working on losing 100+ pounds. I love being tall, but I can totally relate to the "amazon" feeling. I am a little taller than my dad, quite a bit taller than my brother and mother, and I tower over my sister who is 5'1. I've always felt like the tallest and biggest person in the room. Now I just want to be the tallest. :smiley:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    5'10" here! I have a question for all of you (thanks for starting this group, by the way). I have always thought that tall people like us have a better chance of having joint issues. I know someone mentioned sciatica too - I had it SO bad when I was pregnant and it still plagues me every now and then. AND - my ankles crack everywhere I go! I used to be so embarrassed walking down a quiet hallway because people would look around like, "What in the world is that clicking noise?" LOL - Oh, just me! I also run a lot and have had more knee issues than any of my shorter runner friends.

Anyway - I mentioned this to someone the other day (a shorty) that I think taller people are more prone to these issues - maybe because when we got our height, we got it really fast. I grew about 5 inches between 9th and 10th grade. Anyway, she kind of scoffed at me. Just wondering if you guys have similar issues?

Cheers to our big feet, big hands and all of that!! I used to want to feel petite, but have now started to embrace my size 11 shoes and the fact I can palm a man's basketball. :laugh:

YES! Ive had embarrassing moments where Im walking up stairs with someone and they are like..OMG is that your body?! *crunch*crunch*crunch* I know I can hear it, but jeez, so loud others can hear it too? Makes me feel so self conscious!!!
    ltssharon wrote: »
    how do I find this thread when I want it? help help help. By tomorrow I won't be able to find it, I fear.

By the way, I bought Eddie Bauer men's tall (long) jeans relaxed . Don't get the regular jeans mens in your size. The men's tall (long) jeans have an extra inch and half in the rise (longer zipper).

Theres a little grey star next to the title of the thread...click on that and it goes right into your bookmarks for later! :wink:
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    6 foot tall with surprisingly a uk size 6 feet, which I blame for the fact that I'm so clumsy and always falling over! I used to hate being tall when I was young but have learned to love it as I've gotten older. I still have days when I wish I was a little shorter. For example, I am doing a sky dive with my regular height friends in March and I am dreading the part where I have to declare my weight to the instructors! I am also hoping I dont have a little 5' 2" tandem instructor dangling off of my back when I jump out. I am hoping they have a Dwayne Johnson body double for me haha
  • willrunforcookies
    willrunforcookies Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeay! I found a group of tall sisters! :) I'm 5'9". I have to say I love my height BECAUSE I can carry more weight. However....I hate the weight I'm at. So...I can use all the motivation and encouragement I can use!
  • AshZie
    AshZie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    msamcoates wrote: »
    Great group ... I'm 5'9 as well and I love the fact that I can put on 10 pounds and the only person notices is my mom ...lol

I also get the , "you don't need to loose weight, you look fine" ..."your too thin already" ...."your tall so it doesn't look bad" ....arggg

I would like a slimmer, more toned body ..... sadly I've put on about 10 pounds in 2 months and of course I can see it but everybody else thinks I look exactly the same.

I am determined to get it off and tone up more......

For jeans and pants ladies, I love New York and Company ... they have a "tall" selection and they fit me great.

I'm currently wearing a size 10 shoe and pants .... would like to get down to a 6 (haha) but never can seem to get down past 8. Does anybody else have these type of problems .... where you want to drop more weight but your body is like "hell no" ... I've never been smaller than 150, even when I try my hardest, the scale won't budge.

Okay, we are twins...I am also 5'9", wear a 10 shoe, LOVE shopping at New York & Company because their tall pants fit so perfect and I can never get down lower than a size 8! I even bought a pair of 6's from NY&Co thinking I'd totally fit in them in a matter of weeks. Never happened and probably never will!

Of course I get all the same comments from people saying I look fine, I carry my weight well because there's no way I could weigh 160! It is nice when us tall girls gain 10lbs, it isn't too noticeable to other people but I've used it as an excuse to slack sometimes!
  • MegKy05
    MegKy05 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I'm 5"11 size 11 shoe, always getting the "you're so tall and thin, why do you eat so healthy" or "oh there's Megan eating a salad again".
  • Mountainmelody
    Mountainmelody Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    5'9" here and also love being tall. I agree with recommending Maurice's, they have great jeans for us taller folks. Miss Me jeans are starting to carry a 38 length...yay long legs!
  • MrsBennefield
    MrsBennefield Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ltf304 wrote: »
    I have gotten "you're not going to lose anymore weight are you?" I have lost 8 lbs.....only 8. I appear to be rather thin because of my height and yes, I'm thin, but my stomach and arm area are bigger then the rest of my body. If I lost another 8, it wouldn't make as big of a difference if I was half this size.

I think I've found my twin! Lol! Can we be friends?!

I'm 5'10". I've been logging religiously for 75 days. I've lost 10 lbs, but I think every pound was lost in my boobs.
  • MustangIslandMermaid
    MustangIslandMermaid Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow! 6ft tall here!
  • RuthieMuffin
    RuthieMuffin Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is the best thread!!!!!!! I'm 5'10" and I've lost 43 pounds so far. While it sounds like a high number (and admittedly I am proud I've made progress) it's not as big of an accomplishment because of my height! On the other hand, while I'm tall and big and have short friends, I will NEVER shy away from a beautiful pair of heels! I definitely used to be awkward about my height, and it will always be a bit of a struggle to find clothes that are the proper length and fit, but I fully embrace it now despite how short everyone around me is!!!! Being tall is a gift, and I guarantee you there are more people wishing to be taller than shorter! Own your height ladies! If you ever feel self conscious think how envious so many other people feel of you because you are tall!!!
  • xbluehorusx
    xbluehorusx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ahhh!! I'm so glad I saw this thread!!! I'm 6ft tall and have lost almost 35 pounds and now it's JUST starting to show a little. I can relate to almost everything people have said in this thread haha
  • RuthieMuffin
    RuthieMuffin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    *waves* Hi Ladies.

I'm 5'11 and 3 quarters....yes I always say that. I have the 6 footer complex going on. Sometimes I just say I'm 6' because with my hair I would pass lol. I wear a 11.5 shoe and I have a narrow foot. I hate to try on shoes just for them to be too wide. I do not like gapping shoes.

I so love the fact we can gain a couple of unnoticeable pounds...well until it does catch up with me. And boy did it ever catch me and pass me and left me standing in my over weight denial!! Of course I'm good now. Trying to reach my goal of 180...I'm at 201 currently. I might look 180 :bigsmile: but the scale would have to disagree.

Oh the other thing I don't like....people telling me I lost enough weight. You look good where you are. Well let me pull off these clothes and show you what I'm hiding then tell me I've lost too much :noway:

I feel good. I know I'm healthy but I want a slimmer, toner body. I think people got so use to seeing me heavy that they have forgotten that I was once a slim basket ball player and hurdler. I'm trying to get back to that status...at least close to it.

Have any of you gotten the you're too thin remarks?

I totally get the "why are you still trying to lose weight" comments!! I've lost a lot, but my BMI index is still high, so I just want to be a healthy average weight!