"Totally Tall" Women of MFP (5'9" and up) Open Group

Options
Hello everyone! I thought I would start a thread for us "Totally Tall" women of MFP because I believe our journey to a healthier, more fit and slimmer us differs from our shorter counter parts.

For Example:

A 20lbs lost for us may not be a drastic change but for them they may be down 3 dress sizes :noway:

How can she be in a size 10 and I know I'm smaller than her but I'm wearing a size 14 :grumble:

It also differs in other areas as well :ohwell:

Those of us with slightly larger feet have to have a college fund in order to pay for a few pairs of decent shoes and finding jeans or other pants that aren't high waters is like searching for water in the Sahara Desert. :grumble:

No matter how unfair we may have thought or maybe still think it is at times :bigsmile: we deal. We take the cards we've been dealt and we push on!! :smile:

So ladies let us unite in all of our tallness. Use this thread to motivate each other, pass on tips, great deals...anything that relates to us and our way of living tall!

By the way I love the air up here and I wouldn't give up this view for the world!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    5'10" here and totally with you!
  • matchpek
    matchpek Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love this thread - thanks for starting it. I agree with you with regards to how our sizes compare to others. I get so frustrated when I hear people wearing size 2 or 4 or 6. I haven't been in that size since I was 2!!! and I was very skinny all through my young life - didn't gain the weight until my kiddos.
    Anyway -I'm 5' 10" and just started on here about 2 weeks ago. I love reading the posts from people. I especially love seeing people that are just like me. It's very motivating.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 feet. My feet are a size 12. I have wide shoulders (from being a swimmer) & wide hips (from genetics). Need I say more? lol
  • pooksMS
    pooksMS Posts: 25
    Options
    5'9" and love it. I would be a very different person if it weren't for my amazon-like stature.
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    YAY TALLNESS. Although, buying pants is a huge pain--even if the jeans fit, I look like I'm preparing for the flood!! And the weight loss is frustrating when you compare it to someone shorter, but I just think how AWESOME my long legs will look when they're skinny! :)

BTW, your progress pictures are amazing!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 as well :D
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    5.9 1/2" here, with long arms, as well as long legs....Can't forget about the difficulty in finding shirts with an appropriate sleeve length! Although, now that we're all working on becoming our sexiest selves, we should be BARING our arms, anyway! :)

Another bonus to being tall? If we gain 10 lbs (GOD FORBID), it's spread over a taller/longer area, and isn't nearly as noticeable as someone who is 5'3" and gains 10! BONUS! Then again, if we LOSE weight, it isn't as obvious, either. Bummer... lol

I love being tall, though!
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" and being tall has always been frustrating to me. Clothes, dating, etc. etc. I have embraced more as I have gotten older but the clothes thing is still a pain in the *kitten*!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Glad someone else understands how it feels to be tall trying to lose weight. I am so proud to be in a size 10 again and sometimes even a size 8! I will never be any smaller than an 8 and I am ok with that. I'm not a small person and I love it.
  • mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    im 5 ft ten. One thing I loved about being tall was that I could put on ten lbs and no one would notice, unfortunately no one noticed included me sometimes.... I have a friend who is 5'1 and one could see a difference with four lbs. I get annoyed though when I tell doctors my weight and they look at me weird though. Also size 10 and a 1/2 shoe is the hardest size to find ever.
  • scmajm22
    scmajm22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Finally, support for us......way to go, I love this.

I am also 5' 10" and have a size 12 shoe. I truly think I can say I am "big boned"..lol

It is tough to near your goal weight and be in a size 12 instead of a size 4 and have 175 be a goal weight when for so many a goal weight is 130. It took me a long time to realize that 175 is a GOOD number :flowerforyou:
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    5'10" and secure with it! :)

knoll630 Does your town have a Maurice's? They have their name brand as well as Silver's (my fave) for long legs like us! :)
  • LoveDLady
    LoveDLady Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11". Sadly I am not as thrilled with my height. I think it's because I have a very short, petite group of friends, who I feel like a mamoth next to.
  • otm25
    otm25 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9, tall and proud! I used to slouch in high school because I was taller than most of the boys, but now I stand tall. I even wear high heels which make me much taller than my husband!

Standing tall makes me look thinner, and I have to say, my whole life people have said that I did not have to lose weight. Now that I am 23 lbs lighter, 2 jean sizes smaller, I feel better than I ever had, and am proud to tell people about my weight loss!!! And they have been noticing too!

Pet peeve, finding "tall" jeans. All the cute jeans make me look like I am waiting for a flood!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yah..Great tread.

5'9 here. I hate when you buy normal size tops and they stop before your belly button.
    Maybe i wont mind when i get to my goal weight lol
    My sisters and mom are all 5'2 and tiny.
    I feel like the khloe kardashian of the family :laugh:
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11". Sadly I am not as thrilled with my height. I think it's because I have a very short, petite group of friends, who I feel like a mamoth next to.

I feel your pain!! I hate going to bars with my girlfriends cuz I towers over all of them, even if they're in heels.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 6'1" and have a goal weight of 180 and a uk size 14 (US size 10). My highest weight was 330, and I got down to 195 in 2009 but managed to put 70 pounds back on :o(

Feel free to add me if you like :o)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    5'9" and love it! A great place for pants is Land's End (seriously!), they will hem them to the length you need. Unfortunately, I have curves so the waist still sticks out. But that's what a good tailor is for. Size 10 1/2 shoe too. Unfortunate and hard to find. I'm now the shrimp in my family as my younger son just passed me on the height chart. I feel so petite!

And by the way, Desirai-you look great! Congratulations!
  • leamatthew
    leamatthew Posts: 162
    Options
    im 5'10" hence why i'll be more than happy when i hit my goal weight, i dont wana be stick thin,just be comfy in my skin!

My bloke is 5'11" so i hate wearing heals when out with him!