"Totally Tall" Women of MFP (5'9" and up) Open Group

Options

Replies

• jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Great group ... I'm 5'9 as well and I love the fact that I can put on 10 pounds and the only person notices is my mom ...lol

I also get the , "you don't need to loose weight, you look fine" ..."your too thin already" ...."your tall so it doesn't look bad" ....arggg

I would like a slimmer, more toned body ..... sadly I've put on about 10 pounds in 2 months and of course I can see it but everybody else thinks I look exactly the same.

I am determined to get it off and tone up more......

For jeans and pants ladies, I love New York and Company ... they have a "tall" selection and they fit me great.

I'm currently wearing a size 10 shoe and pants .... would like to get down to a 6 (haha) but never can seem to get down past 8. Does anybody else have these type of problems .... where you want to drop more weight but your body is like "hell no" ... I've never been smaller than 150, even when I try my hardest, the scale won't budge.

I also wear a size 10 pants and no matter what i do my body will not allow me to fit into a smaller size
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Great group ... I'm 5'9 as well and I love the fact that I can put on 10 pounds and the only person notices is my mom ...lol

I also get the , "you don't need to loose weight, you look fine" ..."your too thin already" ...."your tall so it doesn't look bad" ....arggg

I would like a slimmer, more toned body ..... sadly I've put on about 10 pounds in 2 months and of course I can see it but everybody else thinks I look exactly the same.

I am determined to get it off and tone up more......

For jeans and pants ladies, I love New York and Company ... they have a "tall" selection and they fit me great.

I'm currently wearing a size 10 shoe and pants .... would like to get down to a 6 (haha) but never can seem to get down past 8. Does anybody else have these type of problems .... where you want to drop more weight but your body is like "hell no" ... I've never been smaller than 150, even when I try my hardest, the scale won't budge.

I also wear a size 10 pants and no matter what i do my body will not allow me to fit into a smaller size
  • Sevanss
    Sevanss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im right there with you. I'm 5'11" and am getting you don't need to loose any more weight from my co workers. I still have 30 lbs to go . I also have to buy mens jeans for the lenght :ohwell: .but I must say you are doing a wonderful job .. Keep up the great work :wink: . Oh I used to be called the body gaurd when I went to the bars with my friends LOL.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and the thing that bothers me that most is that yes, I do have 15 pounds to lose (even though the height hides it a bit better) but everyone keeps telling me I don't, I look fine.
    Well I dress to hide it, that 's why they can't see it. I won't wear a bathing suit yet. I've been my goal weight before my last child and I want to get there again. I loved the way I felt. I will get there again.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    5'9, Size 11 Feet...Down 50 lbs and only 1 dress size. Oh the perils of a "big girl."

Same here! I've lost 55 lbs and this is all that's changed in terms of numbers:

_Dress: One and a half to two sizes, depending on cut of dress. Let's just say this--highest was 18, and now I can sometimes get down into a 14.

_Pants - Jeans: If I was going by Old Navy sizing, I am down three sizes. Highest was a 20, and I could probably get into a 14 now, although I no longer wear their pants because they don't (and never have) fit my body type correctly. In the current label I wear, Kut from the Kloth, I'm sporting at size 16. It's not a snug 16 anymore, though, so that makes me feel a li'l better. In NY&Co, I still have to start with an 18. However, when I was an ON 18, no way in hell I could get into NY&Co. 18. So it all depends. Same ol' story for women everywhere, really.

_Pants - Exercise/Lounge/Yoga: One size. ONE. XXL to XL. I could probably get away with a L if they're really full cut, but I haven't tried.

_Shirts: HA! Like, none. I still wear an XL in most brands; they just happen to fit me better now. Although I will say this--I ordered an Adult size "M" shirt from the 5k I did this weekend, and even though it's tight across the chest, I don't look like an encased sausage in it. However, shirts for those kind of events are cut to unisex, meaning that they fit men true to size and women a size or two larger.

_Bra: Down one band size, on the cusp of two. Went from 42B to 40C, potential to 38D. I don't anticipate myself going any smaller than that because I don't have a lot of extra fat on my rib cage where the band fits at this point.

So when I hear someone say, "I lost 15 lbs and three dress sizes!", I want to throw a shoe. It took a good 20 lbs of loss for anyone to really start noticing, including myself. But that's the way it goes, I guess.

It took me a long time to learn to love my height, but now I fully embrace it. I especially love my long legs, frustrations in finding appropriately long pants/dresses/skirts aside!

And speaking of finding pants, ladies, DO check out ----> www.makeyourownjeans.com <
    . I ordered from them a couple of months ago and it's a legit operation. The craftsmanship is beautiful and they are pretty freakin' fast.

Also, seek out a brand called Kut from the Kloth. They're unique in that all of their jeans are cut long, even though they do not specifically advertise themselves as catering to tall ladies. This brand particularly good for you if you have curvy hips and a relatively small waist. You know who you are because I'll bet your jeans usually have that big-*kitten* gap in the back. :-)

[Side note: About halfway through this post, I got up to go put something away, and a co-worker said, "Look at Miss Skinny over there!" and I said, "Hey, we don't always have to comment on my body!" I know she means well and is super supportive of my weight loss, but I can't stand being called skinny when I know the truth of what goes on under these clothes and how far I am from goal!"]
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread! I'm 5'10 and I've lost 20 pounds so far! It's true that weight loss is not as obvious looking on us tall females!
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just recently I visited family and they haven't seen me since I was 346 lbs. They said I look like death! LMAO!!!

I couldn't stop laughing, I told them I have 40-50 more pounds to lose. They said where. My upper body is smaller than my lower.

I'm a size11/12 upper and a 14/16 below aiming for a size 10 below, 184 lbs -190 lbs

LoL I got that look the 1st time I lost weight so I started self sabatoging myself and gained 50lbs back. I am now back down to that "you look like death" weight but I don't care. I'm doing me.

My measurements are like yours. I'm a 11/12 (Large) up top and a size 16 on bottom.

Keep up the good work!!

Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hey...I'm so excited about this post. I'm 6'1" and wear an 11 wide shoe. I have always struggled finding pants long enough for me. Lane Bryant, Avenue and Torrid all have "tall" pants and they are actually long enough to not make it look like I'm expecting a flood!

Now, I don't know about the other stores, because I'm not ready to start buying pants from them yet. When I was younger I had to wear guy's jeans so that they would be long enough for me. That was during the era of Guess jeans and of course the guy triangle was green as opposed to red for the girls, so everyone knew I was wearing guy jeans. Of course NOTHING will ever be worse than when my mom (I'm sure she felt horrible doing this) had to buy me jeans as a kid and they were HUSKY! I can totally laugh about that today! HA! See! :laugh:

Anyway, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one that has gone through the highs and lows of being tall. I'm glad that designers are FINALLY starting to realize that us beautiful women come in all shapes, sizes and heights! Oh, and I LOVE wearing me some tall, *kitten* heels. I'm usually about 6'4" or 6'5" in them and I LOVE IT!

I also have people asking me if I still intend to lose more weight. Obviously they haven't seen my back-fat or they would not have asked that question. But I do remember the first time someone told me that I was skinny!!! My jaw about hit the floor...it was a nice thing to hear...but I do still have about 60-70 more pounds to hit my goal weight, so we shall see!
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" 1/2 and I hated being tall growing up. I felt like a giant compared to everyone else! Plus being overweight did not help that feeling. When I would tell people how much I weighed (which was not often) they couldn't believe it because when you are tall you can carry a little more weight than someone short. I would always hear you carry your weight so well...whatever! I hated myself for a long time. But, like someone else said, I can't wait to see what my long legs look like skinny! I also have only lost 30 lbs and I can notice it a little bit but not as much as I would like. I started out at 305 and I am now at 275. I have a long way to go still. My goal is 195 and I have not been there in forever!
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" 1/2 and I hated being tall growing up. I felt like a giant compared to everyone else! Plus being overweight did not help that feeling. When I would tell people how much I weighed (which was not often) they couldn't believe it because when you are tall you can carry a little more weight than someone short. I would always hear you carry your weight so well...whatever! I hated myself for a long time. But, like someone else said, I can't wait to see what my long legs look like skinny! I also have only lost 30 lbs and I can notice it a little bit but not as much as I would like. I started out at 305 and I am now at 275. I have a long way to go still. My goal is 195 and I have not been there in forever!

Never use ONLY when referring to weight loss! :bigsmile: Congrats, and you will love your LOOONNNGGG legs! :blushing:
  • MissDwood
    MissDwood Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    5'10" and loving it lol...well most of the time :) Feel free to add me for support in this journey!
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 9 1/2" and used to play Basketball. I wear whatever size makes my feet feel good sizes 10-11 with no gapping. I messed my initial weight up when I started on MFP again a few months ago and so I have lost maybe a total of 13 pounds. My goal weight would be about 180-190 and for me that is about a size 9-12. I have an athletic build so I always weigh heavier than I look. I just would like to get rid of all "Muffin Top" , Back Rolls and thigh dimples. Want a smooth and toned look. I have to watch my weight training because I can bulk up and look like Mike Tyson in a dress...LOL. I just want that nice look with a shirt tucked or a cute girly top with collar bone popping and sharp shoulders and fit and trim thighs and arms. I am not a curvy woman so I gain and lose all over. My knees are not what they used to be so I could really use to take some weight off and give ease to my joints. 2 summers ago I was a size 7/8 and that was small for me as a 44 yr old Woman. To me my Goal size and size that best suits my build is a snug 9/10 and a easy fitting size 12. My body type looks best at that because it is my butt and thighs that give me shape. I hate muffin tops, back rolls, and thighs that rub with dimples. I want my smoothness back before August. I have been faithful with my exercise for almost 2 months and 13 pounds is good. I would like to up my discipline with exercise and diet to achieve 10 pounds or at least one dress size by the end of June. I am now a size 14 and a very snug 12. I love this thread! My man is 6'2 and I think we are running neck and neck with our weight but I would never tell him that. I just want to go to the closet and be able to put anything on and know I look GOOD!
  • Michelie
    Michelie Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm 5 9 and go through the same issues. Thanks for forming this group.
  • kneesee80
    kneesee80 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and wish I was a 6 footer! I'm rockin' size 11-12 shoes. I love heels--the higher the better! What an awesome thread! Rock on, ladies
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, My body is pretty evenly proportioned but finding shirts with sleeves that fit in length and shoulders are killers. Pants I can get away with Tall about 32 inseam so I can wear my 4 inch heels. I love being tall but would just like to be toned and a little slimmer now and going forward.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 with a 35" inseam and used to hate it. My husband is already an inch shorter so I hated wearing heels but now I say screw it and go for it. It is a pain shopping but more so for tops than bottoms. It seems more stores are starting to carry tall/long pants but not tops.
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! I'm a shorty who's always wanted to be a tall girl. My mom is 5' 10 and I've always wanted to be tall like her. Just stopping by to say hi and good luck to you all!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! I'm a shorty who's always wanted to be a tall girl. My mom is 5' 10 and I've always wanted to be tall like her. Just stopping by to say hi and good luck to you all!

Thank you for your support :0)
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Completely love this thread at 6'2" I have always been annoyed by my shorter friends that as stated above drop 20lbs and 3 dress sizes. What the hell? Not to mention I feel like I Work 80 times harder. When it comes to shoes all I can say is Thank God for Nordstroms Over under Sale twice a year.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Great thread; thanks for starting it. :flowerforyou:

I'm 6' tall. Like many of you it's always been a PITA buying clothes. There is so little choice if you're not a smurf!

I remember when I was about 13 or 14 and needed a pair of shoes for school. Went to the shoe shop with my mum trying to get a pair in a UK 10. Being a self-conscious teenager I wanted something nice so I wouldn't look different but the only option the shop gave me was "have you tried men's wear?" WTF? I was traumatised I tell you. TRAUMATISED! :mad: