Replies

• AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    5'9 here! Just starting out today!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and yes my loss is very different from women who are shorter than me. Even though there is a size difference from me now compared to 32 pounds ago, it's really not that extreme as it would be a woman who's average height. People are just *now* starting to take notice, but it's not that huge of an improvement. Don't get me wrong, I love it! Especially because when I was 32 pounds heavier, I looked almost as good as I do now, and most people couldn't ever guess what I used to weigh. Heck they probably don't think I weigh what I currently do.

Anyway, I love reading these stories and being able to relate. I used to read success stories and pics on here with women losing 20 and 30 pounds and be so excited, knowing I'd look *that* different once I lost that much. Ummm, not so much. Haha, but it's fine, because I'm gonna keep going until I see that huge difference that I desire. ;)
  • brides24
    brides24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey All

I'm 5ft 9in and I love being tall but like many of you...our weight is disbursed over a larger area. I am bothered by the fact that I can't stand to see my scale read 212.5. I used to be sooooo skinny, they called me twiggy growing up and then I had kids :( I've struggled with getting my weight down below 200 for yrs now. My goal weight would be 170 but man does that seem impossible. I do have an office job so thats a huge contributer to my weight but I don't eat a lot of junk food, I also don't excersice the way I should either but I'm making progress with that. Attempting to walk on my treadmill in the am for at least 20 minutes (mainly bc thats the only time I have between two jobs, going to school at night, taking an online course, and having two boys in sports - thank god for my husband!! LOL) .

I'd love to hear some great suggestions on how you all loose those pounds each week. I look forward to chatting with you all!!!

Thanks
    Belinda
  • Purple_Lurple
    Purple_Lurple Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey, 5ft 11.5 (or 5ft 11 in the evenings!) Here. I'm a uk size 16, with very, very wide UK size 9 feet. Nigh-on impossible to find nice shoes that fit. I started MFP last week but have started doubting my goals. I am aiming to get to 155lbs, which feels like it's still really heavy when looking at most of the forums on here.
    My lowest adult weight was about 140, but that was when I was 18ish, so don't think I'll look healthy that low now!

Always towering above everyone I'm around, and because I'm not skinny I look like hagrid rather than all tall and elegant!

Nice to know there are other long ladies out there!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    MFP has me on a 1200 calorie diet. I am usually good with teh calorie intake its the carbs that I'm having a lot of trouble with and now I've added a sugar column and I bust that every day! I drink at least 8/ 8oz of water a day and when I was really trying I was getting almost 16, but a nutritionist said I may have been getting too much. So I try to stay around 10/ 8oz a day. Work out days I increase to 12.

I need help too. Before my b-day in March I went 3 wks of exercising every day and watching my calories - not one pound lost. Since I've really been watching over the last 2 wks - a whopping .4lbs lost. I have no idea what to do. People say I may be in starvation mode, but then that got me wondering - how do anorexics do it? Not that I want to be anorexic - but at some point, 1000 calories should = weight loss!!!

Okay so, like you, I used to do 1200 calories (1100 most days) and for a couple months I was losing 5-6 every 2 weeks, consistently (I weigh myself only once every 2 weeks). Then 4 weeks ago, I lost a grand total of 2 pounds! Happy to lose, but sad with the amount, I decided to zig zag my calories for 2 weeks. 3 days lower, 1 high, the next 3 lower, etc. It helped a little bit as my weigh in 2 weeks ago was 3 pounds loss. Still being unsatisfied with the loss, I decided to try increasing my calories everyday for the next 2 weeks. So I set my caloric goal for 1500 calories and I made sure never eat lower than 1400 calories or higher than 1600 on any given day. Today my weigh in was 5 pounds again! I'm gonna stick with this for a while longer since it worked for these 2 weeks. That's my suggestion to you. Remember, to go by net calories though.

Good luck, hun!
  • Cyd46
    Cyd46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love reading on the post's about our height!! I am 5'11 and 3/4.

I am with you on a lot of the post's I have read on this topic. I hate it when I hear..." Amazon!!" I just cringe when I hear that. OH YA....that makes me feel so SEXY!! PLEASE! Well, it may help if the man is 6'2 and above. I hate buying clothes at times also!! SHOES I hate the most thou!!

Add me if you would like!!
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 203 lbs :) Though I have tiny pixie feet... they are smaller than my mom's and she is 5'6"! I wear 7.5 to 8. I also have a really long torso, so your problem with pants I have with shirts! I don't want my belly hanging out :( My torso is 4 inches longer than my bf's who is 6'! Bodies are weird. Nice to find a group of tall women :)
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well Totally Tall Beauties, I need to get my tall butt in gear and lose this 10 pounds in the next 4 weeks or so and get to one of my goal weights of 200 even... I want to see that number 1 in my weight again and not as the 2nd or 3rd number unless it is 201.
    I had a bowling tournament this weekend and looked and felt great but I bowled like CRAP....LOL... but had a good time. I have my next big tourney the 1st week of August and would love to be about 195 or a little less by then. Actually that weight would put me in a very loose size 12 because I have a pretty athletic build and muscle mass. I have got to get some 2 a days in because I have the extra time to do this. I need to find some fun activities that keep me moving in the evenings because I do get at least 5-6 miles in at least 5 days a week. I donot want to have to hold my stomach in or use body shaper tops. I need to get it in!

Its June Already and getting Hotter!
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    May I just ask what everyone's calorie goals are? I don't want to be snooping in people's diaries but I can't figure out what my "sweet spot" is, and it would help if I knew what other people my height were on.

I'm 5'11" and usually try to eat a net of 1600 calories currently. I workout every day and will usually burn at least 600+ calories a day through exercise, and I usually eat most or all of my exercise calories back. I will zigzag calories when I seem to get stuck on a plateau (which has happened three times in the past year for me), but other than that.... I'm eating 2200+ calories every day with a net of about 1600. I eat a lot of clean, unprocessed foods, and a whole ton of veggies (I seriously snack on them all day long). Finding that sweet spot (for me at least) is all about trial and error. Sometimes MFP is just right, sometimes you need a little less or a little more than what you're getting, and of course, your calories are always being adjusted slightly as you get smaller.
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    MFP has me on a 1200 calorie diet. I am usually good with teh calorie intake its the carbs that I'm having a lot of trouble with and now I've added a sugar column and I bust that every day! I drink at least 8/ 8oz of water a day and when I was really trying I was getting almost 16, but a nutritionist said I may have been getting too much. So I try to stay around 10/ 8oz a day. Work out days I increase to 12.

I need help too. Before my b-day in March I went 3 wks of exercising every day and watching my calories - not one pound lost. Since I've really been watching over the last 2 wks - a whopping .4lbs lost. I have no idea what to do. People say I may be in starvation mode, but then that got me wondering - how do anorexics do it? Not that I want to be anorexic - but at some point, 1000 calories should = weight loss!!!

Okay so, like you, I used to do 1200 calories (1100 most days) and for a couple months I was losing 5-6 every 2 weeks, consistently (I weigh myself only once every 2 weeks). Then 4 weeks ago, I lost a grand total of 2 pounds! Happy to lose, but sad with the amount, I decided to zig zag my calories for 2 weeks. 3 days lower, 1 high, the next 3 lower, etc. It helped a little bit as my weigh in 2 weeks ago was 3 pounds loss. Still being unsatisfied with the loss, I decided to try increasing my calories everyday for the next 2 weeks. So I set my caloric goal for 1500 calories and I made sure never eat lower than 1400 calories or higher than 1600 on any given day. Today my weigh in was 5 pounds again! I'm gonna stick with this for a while longer since it worked for these 2 weeks. That's my suggestion to you. Remember, to go by net calories though.

Good luck, hun!

Sometimes it's not what your eating but what your doing. Have you been doing the same workout routine continuously for a while?
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Started at 2,500 calories dropped to 1,400 calories due to my weight loss. I feel satisfied. I try to eat the most foods for little calories. I ALWAYS eat my calories rather than drink them...
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Started at 2,500 calories dropped to 1,400 calories due to my weight loss. I feel satisfied. I try to eat the most foods for little calories. I ALWAYS eat my calories rather than drink them...

That is huge for me, too!
  • kdudz
    kdudz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm eating close to 1200 calories. Sometimes more when I can get in some exercise. I sit at a desk most of the day. I do try to get up and walk the stairs once in a while. I'm on the 12th floor and I've given up the elevator.

It seems like all my fat wants to reside on my hips, butt and back of my legs. I hate that I can't wear shorts without fearing that I am hurting someone's eyes with my cellulite! I dread putting on a bathingsuit for that same reason.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Tall women ROCK!

That is all... ;)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hey All

I'm 5ft 9in and I love being tall but like many of you...our weight is disbursed over a larger area. I am bothered by the fact that I can't stand to see my scale read 212.5. I used to be sooooo skinny, they called me twiggy growing up and then I had kids :( I've struggled with getting my weight down below 200 for yrs now. My goal weight would be 170 but man does that seem impossible. I do have an office job so thats a huge contributer to my weight but I don't eat a lot of junk food, I also don't excersice the way I should either but I'm making progress with that. Attempting to walk on my treadmill in the am for at least 20 minutes (mainly bc thats the only time I have between two jobs, going to school at night, taking an online course, and having two boys in sports - thank god for my husband!! LOL) .

I'd love to hear some great suggestions on how you all loose those pounds each week. I look forward to chatting with you all!!!

Thanks
    Belinda

Hi Belinda my suggestion to you is to do HIIT for the 20 minutes. It can be done on the treadmill. Do a brisk walk for the first 5 minutes. Then you run all out like you are running for your life for 60 seconds and then walk slowly for 90 secs allowing your heart rate to drop. Repeat the 60 secs/90 secs 8 times. Then do a cool down for at least two minutes. Do this ONLY 3x's a week.....every other day. The other days you can brisk walk on the treadmill while using 3lbs or 5 lbs weights. Pumping them in front of you, above you and to the side of you while you walk at a steady pace. So not only are you working your legs but your arms and shoulders. You can hold them to you and do little side twist & slight bends as you walk to work your abs.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Well Totally Tall Beauties, I need to get my tall butt in gear and lose this 10 pounds in the next 4 weeks or so and get to one of my goal weights of 200 even... I want to see that number 1 in my weight again and not as the 2nd or 3rd number unless it is 201.
    I had a bowling tournament this weekend and looked and felt great but I bowled like CRAP....LOL... but had a good time. I have my next big tourney the 1st week of August and would love to be about 195 or a little less by then. Actually that weight would put me in a very loose size 12 because I have a pretty athletic build and muscle mass. I have got to get some 2 a days in because I have the extra time to do this. I need to find some fun activities that keep me moving in the evenings because I do get at least 5-6 miles in at least 5 days a week. I donot want to have to hold my stomach in or use body shaper tops. I need to get it in!

Its June Already and getting Hotter!

I remember you saying that weights bulk you up so try planks for your abs.Do them on your sides as well. Normally I would have also said overhead press :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xs5mhZvo04
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqzrb67Dwf8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-z7V_rtvfs&NR=1
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Tall women ROCK!

That is all... ;)

We sure do :wink:
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Tall women ROCK!

That is all... ;)

Thanks for the appreciation!!
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Wow, love this group!!! I'm 5'11'', wear a size 10.5 shoe, and am 220lbs. SO true about if I lose 20 lbs you can't notice but your size changes... no one believes me on that! I'm also built bigger and wider (huge hips and thighs), not that it bothers me because I love being curvy! OH, and MFP set me to be eating around 1500 calories where my weight is now, and I find it hard to eat that much!
  • mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and the smallest size I ever was, was a 7. Probably a little too skinny, but ate what ever I wanted. I'm now a 14. I have been on MFP for a little over a month and lost 12 pounds. Unlike lots of the other posts I have noticed specific places where I have lost. My boobs, my neck and my legs seem thinner. I too have big bones, so really I won't be getting that small. I feel so much more healthy, but have not went down in pants size although the XL are hanging off of me, So I am now in a large when it comes to workout clothes. Dr Oz is talking about clothes sizes right now.