"Totally Tall" Women of MFP (5'9" and up) Open Group

Options

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy we have so many tall ladies here. Its just amazing. If you all are having any issues please post them so we can support each other.
  • lindsabe11e
    Options
    LOVE this thread- thank you for starting it!! I'm 5'10 and still a little uncomfortable with it...won't wear heels or any shoes that make my feet look bigger than necessary! But, there are positives, too, as many of you have said :) It's funny to see that so many of you have commented about jeans looking like we're "waiting for the flood" haha it's so true!!
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    Yes! Pants are the WORST!! I've had problems with even the pants labeled Tall being to short! UGH! :sad:
  • brwneyedmandi
    brwneyedmandi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Haha! - I Just found this group and laughed out loud to the descriptions, especially "I know I'm smaller than her, but she's a size 10 and I'm a size 14." THANK YOU for that. :) Definitely will be posting in this group!
  • brwneyedmandi
    brwneyedmandi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, currently 203 pounds and a size 14/16. I think the weight I was most comfortable at was 155 and a size 8. If I tell someone how much I weigh, they are shocked and said "But you carry it so well!!!" On one hand, I'm thankful that I can "carry my weight well," on the other hand, I know how uncomfortable I feel at 203 and how much I hate knowing I weigh over two hundred pounds! I'm glad I found this group! I don't feel like the odd 'woman' out now! :)
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm actually dropping weight and not too happy about it. I achieved goal weight a while ago and am trying to find some sort of balance between what I eat and what I burn. Occasionally I log what I eat but I'm pretty good at gauging what goes into my body. I think that because I tend to do short, intense workouts, and only burning 200-300 cals each time, that I should watch what I eat - and I do. I don't think I should be monitoring my cals so closely, though. Just thinking aloud here - I was surprised to step on the scale this morning and to find I had dropped another 2 pounds this week. I'm at 142 now. I feel great though, and I'm eating lots.

Thanks for the tip re ordering pants from American Eagle - I didn't know that! I love this time of year because I can wear skirts, dresses and capris to work - I don't have to worry about whether what I am wearing is long enough.

I hope everyone had a good day - it's great to see so many of us here :)
  • RayofSunshine73
    RayofSunshine73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ha! Ha! I hear that all the time, too. "You don't look that big!" Well, I am and finding clothes is a nightmare!! So there! I'm 5'10'' and at 96 kilos (209 lbs.) I wear a size 18/20 and feel disgusted by it. I've been skinny before and was so for quite a few years and well...we all know the story!

Looking forward to sharing!
  • dunedingirl
    dunedingirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone:) I am 5' 10 used to be almost 5"11 but am shrinking as we speak, I guess. I wear a size 11 shoe and shop almost exclusively at Old Navy online. I can find tall shirts (longer sleeves and length) and jeans and pants (35 in. inseam). I dream of the day I can shop in a "normal" store. My top weight was 223, started a diet last year at 193 and got to 179 in 3 months, then put weight back on and began again this past Monday at 190. This time I am working out and hopefully will take it off more sensibly this time and keep it off. I am glad there are other tall girls out there that feel my pain. I'll be keeping up w/ this group and see how everyone is doing. Going to bed now, got to get up at 7 am and get to the gym:)
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow I wish I can fit into size 11. My shoe size is 13!! I'm 5'9 and its already hard for me to find clothes for my size but shoes? I'm tired just thinking about it. lol

Nordstroms has a PHENOMENAL sale twice a year called the over under sale....The best all sizes above 10 and under 6 for people that usually can't find shoes. If you have one in your area ask about it.
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh and about pants! Rock & Republic jeans are my favorite. They are SUPER long but they're also SUPER expensive so I look for them on sale and only have a few pairs.

But American Eagle jeans are much more affordable and while the ones in the store are probably too short for most of us they have an "extra long" length available online. And if you go into a store and try on a pair you like the store will order them for you and ship them to your house for FREE! I think the extra long's inseam is 35in. To give you an idea, the average inseam for most jeans is 30in.

Hope that helps some of you, finding pants long enough has been a lifelong struggle for me!

I hear Abercrombie usually does tall jeans too.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Good day everyone! Have you made a goal for yourself to reach today? If so what is it and how do you plan to achieve it?
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Today's goal is to eat balanced, log everything, drink my water, spend some time on the Wii, and get a walk tonight, after it (hopefully) stops raining.
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Lovely Tall Ladies, I am kind of confused. I need help understanding exactly how many calories I should be eating. I am staying between 212-214 and I exercise about 90 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week. I don't think I am losing like I should maybe because I am not eating enough calories. Usually I am burning anywhere between 600-800 calories each workout. I have a muscular build and I am seeing the inches come off as my clothes are looser but I want to see the scale move as well. I am about to start working out twice a day but I want to make sure I am giving my body what it needs to get to my goal weight of about 185-190. Any suggestions? I know my eating habits are getting a bit better and I need to get more disciplined.
  • amyradelle
    amyradelle Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and TOTALLY LOVE IT!! I wear heels any chance I get!!
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My mini goal today is to get in all my water! :glasses:
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    My mini goal today is to get in all my water! :glasses:
    Mine too!!!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    i'm 6'1, lost 21 pounds, and I know it will take awhile before I lose a full dress size.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Hi Lovely Tall Ladies, I am kind of confused. I need help understanding exactly how many calories I should be eating. I am staying between 212-214 and I exercise about 90 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week. I don't think I am losing like I should maybe because I am not eating enough calories. Usually I am burning anywhere between 600-800 calories each workout. I have a muscular build and I am seeing the inches come off as my clothes are looser but I want to see the scale move as well. I am about to start working out twice a day but I want to make sure I am giving my body what it needs to get to my goal weight of about 185-190. Any suggestions? I know my eating habits are getting a bit better and I need to get more disciplined.

I don't think you are going to see the results you want until you clean up your diet. You eat out a lot. Fast foods have a lot of unwanted fats as well as being extremely high in sodium. African Americans shouldn't have more than 1500mg of sodium as day. That limit can be reached in one fast food meal.

I don't know your schedule but I suggest cooking more at home. Eat bake/broiled/sauteed lean meats such as chicken breast, fish, beef and turkey. You should add more fresh/frozen veggies and fruits to your menu. If you have a super Wal-mart in your area they have the Great Value steamable veggies that you can throw in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Most meats can cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Just try to limit your eating out and you will see a difference in the scale.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm actually dropping weight and not too happy about it. I achieved goal weight a while ago and am trying to find some sort of balance between what I eat and what I burn. Occasionally I log what I eat but I'm pretty good at gauging what goes into my body. I think that because I tend to do short, intense workouts, and only burning 200-300 cals each time, that I should watch what I eat - and I do. I don't think I should be monitoring my cals so closely, though. Just thinking aloud here - I was surprised to step on the scale this morning and to find I had dropped another 2 pounds this week. I'm at 142 now. I feel great though, and I'm eating lots.

Thanks for the tip re ordering pants from American Eagle - I didn't know that! I love this time of year because I can wear skirts, dresses and capris to work - I don't have to worry about whether what I am wearing is long enough.

I hope everyone had a good day - it's great to see so many of us here :)

Thats what I'm wondering about once I reach my goal and eventually reach the bf% that I want. Will I be able to find that balance to maintain or will I eat too much and gain or eat too little and start losing again. BLAH! Its always something isn't it. Wouldn't it be nice to just "Be"?
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Well right now I eat between 1400 - 1600 calories a day. I also exercise some of them off but couldn't tell you exactly how much. I usually don't eat them back either. I've found that if I eat around 1200 calories, I'm still hungry and the headaches start. I have just got back on the wagon so I will see how this goes in the next few weeks. I also drink alot of water ... about 5, 16oz bottles a day.

Is anyone's food diary open? I could use some low cal suggestions .... because my meal meals are usually 500+ calories and I know I could really break that down.

I don't have mine open because its not set up in meals. What ever I eat I just put it in....all one column. I'm going to check out your dairy and see if there are adjustments you can make.

I was asked to open my diary so now its open and I set it up with headings lol. My daily calories have changed with my recent weight loss so now its 1260 a day.