NTHG 2-week challenge

Options

Replies

• crdav13
    crdav13 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi every one my name is Colleen and I would love to join! I'm 5'7 and this morning I weighed 140....considering all I ate yesterday (including but not limited to 3 margarita's, a corn dog and a deep fried snickers) I'm surprised it wasn't more!

My goals are do workout at least 5 days a week and cut back on processed foods. I go to the Hamptons a month from tomorrow so really need to get back on track!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Woke up and did some planks this morning!! I know it's not a lot, but it's still working out more than normal :) And I didn't even look at the snack cabinet last night! My calories were definitely too low, so today I will work on getting that up to a good count!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Was over on my fat intake from trying to get my protein in. Made some adjustments to what I have planned for today so we'll see if that helps.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Got my strength in. KISS workout 2 w/o the crocs. I did plank raises and jumped rope instead. Burned about 300 caloires in a little under an hour. Sumo dead lifts are not joking around. Nor at the Bulgarian split squats. I planned on some cardio for tonight but have a meeting at 5 out of town and won't be home till 7. We'll see. Have a great Tuesday!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone...welcome Colleen!

I woke up this morning and ran since I have a snazzy schmoozing event tonight. But the event I AM going to do my extra 15 minutes :)

It does feel great to start the day with a work out! I did awesome yesterday on carbs and protein and hope I can come close again today.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I got in my protein last night, but just barley and went over 1 calorie, which is silly, since there were probably a couple of things I didn't record.
    Asian food for lunch, I don't know what to have that would be good for protein-well, I guess I do know, but I want something else;)
  • amysj303
    Options
    Got my strength in. KISS workout 2 w/o the crocs. I did plank raises and jumped rope instead. Burned about 300 caloires in a little under an hour. Sumo dead lifts are not joking around. Nor at the Bulgarian split squats. I planned on some cardio for tonight but have a meeting at 5 out of town and won't be home till 7. We'll see. Have a great Tuesday!
    How much do you sumo deadlift? Did you wear an HRM?
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Got my strength routine in on Sunday! I went and did Zumba last night (not true strength training by any means, but my instructor does incorporate some body-weight resistance training into her routine). I have not gone for coffee yet this week (hooray!).
    I did get thrown for a loop this morning though. I had planned on doing my strength training routine tonight, but instead I will be the witness at my best friend's "legal wedding"! It's a last minute ceremony before her fiance goes back to Afghanistan, so I am excited that I have a good reason to skip the gym :)

Hope everyone is having a great week!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options

Yes, I wear a HRM and am so glad I finally got one. (Got one on Amazon for $100). The strength exercise on MFP vastly underestimates calories if you are lifting heavyish I think. After a 50 minute workout, my HRM said 290 calories burned and I weigh about 134.

This is what I did (sorry if TMI....) :smile:

Sumo Dead lift 1: Olympic bar (45lbs.) + 25 lb plate each side = 95 lbs
    This was too heavy so my last 2 sets I did 15 pounds on each side = 75 pounds
    I alternated this with incline chest press which I used 20 pound dumbells. I probably could have used 25; maybe next time

Bulgarian split squat I used 5 lb in each hand b/c those things are effin hard and I was trying to make sure my form was good.
    I alternated that with the single arm row which I used 20. Again, probably could have used 25.
    For these I did one leg and then immediately did the other, rested for 60 seconds and then did one arm, immediately the other and rested again. I guess that's how it works.

Next I did walking planks (10) rested 60 seconds, jumped rope for 60 seconds and repeated twice more with a 90 second jump rope to finish. Then I did 80 crunches, 10 situps, some stretching and I was done. Just about 50 minutes.

Sorry for so much detail, but I am amazed at how many calories I am burning without the cardio. Had I run or done the elliptical, sure I would have burned more like 500 calories in that time. But I'm also taking all these 60 second breaks in between. Seems pretty sweet to me. :wink:
  • chuisle
    Options

Yes, I wear a HRM and am so glad I finally got one. (Got one on Amazon for $100). The strength exercise on MFP vastly underestimates calories if you are lifting heavyish I think. After a 50 minute workout, my HRM said 290 calories burned and I weigh about 134.

This is what I did (sorry if TMI....) :smile:

Sumo Dead lift 1: Olympic bar (45lbs.) + 25 lb plate each side = 95 lbs
    This was too heavy so my last 2 sets I did 15 pounds on each side = 75 pounds
    I alternated this with incline chest press which I used 20 pound dumbells. I probably could have used 25; maybe next time

Bulgarian split squat I used 5 lb in each hand b/c those things are effin hard and I was trying to make sure my form was good.
    I alternated that with the single arm row which I used 20. Again, probably could have used 25.
    For these I did one leg and then immediately did the other, rested for 60 seconds and then did one arm, immediately the other and rested again. I guess that's how it works.

Next I did walking planks (10) rested 60 seconds, jumped rope for 60 seconds and repeated twice more with a 90 second jump rope to finish. Then I did 80 crunches, 10 situps, some stretching and I was done. Just about 50 minutes.

Sorry for so much detail, but I am amazed at how many calories I am burning without the cardio. Had I run or done the elliptical, sure I would have burned more like 500 calories in that time. But I'm also taking all these 60 second breaks in between. Seems pretty sweet to me. :wink:

Sounds like you did an awesome job!

Question: I've heard it said on the forums before that HRMs are NOT accurate for strength training/lifting. That was one of my main deterrents from getting one. What have you all heard?
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options

Question: I've heard it said on the forums before that HRMs are NOT accurate for strength training/lifting. That was one of my main deterrents from getting one. What have you all heard?

I had not heard that but found this:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

Which is interesting b/c I guess I didn't understand physically what happens to burn a calorie - whether it was based on heart rate (no) or something else (yes). So maybe I'm not burning as many calories as I thought......Gee....thanks a lot Kate. :wink: Just kidding. I have to imagine that these types of strength exercises burn more than "traditional strength training" - sitting at a machine, doing 12 reps of minimal weight, resting 60 seconds and doing it again. I get exerted, sweaty and feel my heart rate raise while doing a lot of these - especially the sqauts and deadlifts. I wonder what would be an accurate way to calculate calories burned doing strength training. Clearly some exercises are going to deliver more burn than others. This is good info though, so thanks for bringing it up. You are the research queen, so I respect your opinion. :smile: I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it....keep logging my HRM based burn or try to find some kind of formula to better estimate? Hmmm.....
  • chuisle
    Options

I had not heard that but found this:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

Which is interesting b/c I guess I didn't understand physically what happens to burn a calorie - whether it was based on heart rate (no) or something else (yes). So maybe I'm not burning as many calories as I thought......Gee....thanks a lot Kate. :wink: Just kidding. I have to imagine that these types of strength exercises burn more than "traditional strength training" - sitting at a machine, doing 12 reps of minimal weight, resting 60 seconds and doing it again. I get exerted, sweaty and feel my heart rate raise while doing a lot of these - especially the sqauts and deadlifts. I wonder what would be an accurate way to calculate calories burned doing strength training. Clearly some exercises are going to deliver more burn than others. This is good info though, so thanks for bringing it up. You are the research queen, so I respect your opinion. :smile: I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it....keep logging my HRM based burn or try to find some kind of formula to better estimate? Hmmm.....

Oh no! Ha, sorry! I do believe it's more than traditional exercises because they are compound movements and require a lot of energy etc. to perform. I think you should trust yourself. Yesterday I walked away from KISS and I knew I had gotten my *kitten* kicked and so I over logged the minutes because I knew I had burned more than a hundred cals or so. Totally unscientific. But at the same time, I exercise almost everyday (as do most of you). We get a feel for how "hard" we worked. I would probably go somewhere in between MFP and your HRM. MFP is conservative and your HRM is probably a bit high, so take it day by day with that as an acceptable range.

Also, while this is a debated topic there is a good amount of literature that refers to the "after burn" effect of lifting. They say that sort of intense lifting will temporarily raise your metabolism giving you burn hours after you leave the gym. It has to do with the same reasons that you HRM can't quite understand the calories burned while strength training. (VO2 max related stuff)

This is reason I try to be conservative on exercise cals, liberal on food cals, and not to worry if I go over on a given day!

Thanks for the research props :) I do economics research for a living so it's natural that if I am going to spend time working out I want to be the most effective work out possible for my goals...opportunity cost!

(tangent: a woman at the gym yesterday approached me to ask what machine she should use to tone her arms. I said, NONE OF THEM! Free weights all the way. A general note I believe: if you're sitting down, you're probably not working too hard. Exceptions are probably vigorous biking or rowing)
  • crdav13
    crdav13 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did cardio last night, have my trainer tonight, and am signed up for Bar Method for Thursday and Friday so I am on my way to 5/days a week!

Do any of you guys do 2/days? I bought the summer special at Bar Method and my plan is to do that 3-5 days a week (during my lunch hour) and still do cardio most days and cardio/lifitng on the weekends (well I have high intentions of this happening anyway). Thoughts?
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Good chats on calories burned from weight lifting. I have a HRM, and whether or not the calories burned are accurate, my heart rate while lifting hard is similar to that while running (steady state, 6mph usually outside so small hills and uneven ground). Maybe all the non-compound exercises people do on machines and frequent breaks are why everyone says that strength training burns significantly less?

As far as this challenge, I am doing horribly! I was doing better before I started!! :( I think I need to log my food but both yesterday and today I had to go out to lunch for different reasons and I had no idea how much I ate so I stopped logging. And I had a beer at lunch yesterday. Not a good start to the two weeks.

Looks like everyone else is doing a great job though, keep posting so I get back on track please!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone is doing so well!!!! Yesterday was a wash!! I did great all day, then went to dinner with the girls, still not bad, then got to the movies and got popcorn AND M&M's!!!! ugh!!!! I only ate half of the popcorn, but still, that's not gonna help me get fab abs! Then today, good morning, good dinner, but early afternoon, had a blizzard from DQ!!!! BUT, i did only get a mini size, so that good. Tomorrow needs to be a stellar day!!!

Keep up the good work ladies!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    jenomaha - At least you did realize and limit your intake! Be proud about that and just work your way down :) You will do great and you already look fabulous!

I did pretty well last night! No strength.. I'll probably leave that for the weekend when I don't do my class. I went to the movies with my boyfriend and our friends and I was very good! My boyfriend offered to buy me snacks and a drink, but I just said I'd eat some of his popcorn and I'd have a water. I only had about a handful of popcorn (if that), and it made me want less after seeing him stuff an entire handful of it in his mouth at one time! (He looked like a chipmonk after he did that!) But I would say that was a success in not binging on snack foods for me!! :) How did everyone else do?
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    I did pretty well yesterday; stayed within my calories anyways. We went out to dinner and then went to Sweet Ce Ce's after. Don't know if you all have them where you're from but it's soft serve ice cream with about 100 toppings you can put on. My husband and I split cake batter (only 120 calories per 1/2 cup) with mini chocolate chips, a little crumbled Snickers and strawberries. It was was yummy. We ate it while walking to the book store at least. I didn't "work out" but walked to lunch and for some errands at work, then after dinner and did some cleaning. I was going to do strength today but am still super sore from Monday so think I may run instead. Then I'm off to NC tomorrow but still plan on working out some! Have a great day all!
  • chuisle
    Options
    Hi All!

Jenomaha and shander...well done! I think just limiting the bad stuff you eat is half the battle and abstaining at the movies is no easy task!

I did well yesterday in that I woke up early to run to just get some exercise in but ended up a bit over on cals (still under on carbs!) because of a fancy dinner I went to. I should be good today though I am not going the extra exercises I promised myself. It has been a crazy week but I need to start!

I am also super sore still from Monday's lifting but I think I am going to warm up well and push through and lift today. Otherwise I will be way off on my schedule since I can't probably lift tomorrow. Here's to advil!
  • amysj303
    Options
    I did not do well on protein yesterday. I am a little sore but planning to do th eKISS workout tonight. Sumo deadlifts! hope the bar isn't up as high as last time!
    I haven't been eating very well, I need to try harder. I changed my macros to 40/40/20 and it's impossible for me to meet those, ever!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I did not do well on protein yesterday. I am a little sore but planning to do th eKISS workout tonight. Sumo deadlifts! hope the bar isn't up as high as last time!
    I haven't been eating very well, I need to try harder. I changed my macros to 40/40/20 and it's impossible for me to meet those, ever!

Hey, it's not impossible, just takes a lot of planning. I'm sure you will rock it out doing KISS tonight

I am wondering if I can change my challenge for these 2 weeks. What I would like to do is eat at the higher calorie level but NOT eat exercise calories. It will also help me scale back on my cardio since it won't be giving me license to eat more, anyway :tongue:

I love having my exercise burn reported by MFP but maybe I should start putting my burn in my exercise diary notes so it doesn't add to my total...