Women who put on muscle fast

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Merely trying to add another perspective to the discussion, and responding a specific part of a specific post, not the whole thread. If you don't want to acknowledge that a woman may feel herself to be too 'bulky' despite the scientific difficulties in that matching up to your view of that term, please, continue on in blissful ignorance.

Again, this thread is specifically not about how anyone feels at the moment.

The entire thread is about change over time. It's not about being bulky or having muscle, it's about getting bulky or gaining muscle.

You can have muscle or not have muscle. You can be bulky or not be bulky. That's not what this is about. This is about whether you can BECOME bulkier or GAIN muscle while losing weight.

The answer is "you cannot."

Am I reading that right. You are saying you can't gain muscle while losing weight?

Not to any significant degree, no. Certainly you can't gain enough muscle in a caloric deficit to make a body part larger.

Beg to differ and this video pretty much sums it up in how you can lose fat and gain muscle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-jnsG0Z7Y
    summary: Most people can gain muscle and lose fat on a deficit by eat 40% protein, don't eat all your protein blob at the same time or your 'nuclear reactor' well go off so eat 5-6 globs of protein spaced out per day lol (um, many people IF here and show vast improvements in body composition and the whole 'many meals a day' and 'you can only absorb little amounts of proteins at one time' theories proven wrong many moons ago...). He also goes on to say you need to eat unprocessed foods, 'good' fats are only from whole foods it seems (olives, not olive oil for example). Body builders are great at gaining muscle...and many eat tons of processed foods. And you cannot gain muscle eating cheeseburgers LOLOLOL and you need to do cardio for 40 minutes a day.....Don't forget to carb cycle...

This guy is batty.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    But it can be done and you are wrong and very misinformed.

Show me one example of a woman who increased the size of a body part while in a calorie deficit as a result of the muscle growing.

That will take some time to find one as I really don't go looking for women who have gained muscle while cutting however I will give you a quote from a thread on the subject and link to it and this is on a decent bodybuilder forum.
    Tony Barnes

20% bf - lose fat + gain muscle = easy
    15% bf - lose fat + gain muscle = achievable
    10% bf - lose fat + gain muscle = tricky
    5% bf - lose fat + gain muscle = voodoo

At the end of the day a calorie deficit doesn't mean you are running off less cals, you're just using stored lard to carry things through. So long as food choices are good, and resistance training there, then gains can still occur.

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/Can-you-really-not-build-muscle-while-loosing-fat-m4817916.aspx

I think what you are getting at is because it's a female and she won't have much testosterone in her to grow how a newbie male would. So I see your point in saying she can't and won't be able to. Not unless she's roided up anyway.

I'll see if I can find some pics of a natty female/newbie who's gained while lost.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep insisting that this is an issue of differing viewpoints on the word "bulky?" You can't just decide on your own what words mean.

Why not? Bulkiness is purely perception. There isn't a special scale for it.

Bingo. Perception, which ties into body image, and how one feels about how one looks.

For what it's worth people invent new meanings for words all the time - see my post above about the OED.

Perceived body image is a completely separate issue. They may believe they are "bulky," but a tape measure would show the truth.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Show me one example of a woman who increased the size of a body part while in a calorie deficit as a result of the muscle growing.

That will take some time to find one as I really don't go looking for women who have gained muscle while cutting however I will give you a quote from a thread on the subject and link to it and this is on a decent bodybuilder forum.
    Tony Barnes

At the end of the day a calorie deficit doesn't mean you are running off less cals, you're just using stored lard to carry things through. So long as food choices are good, and resistance training there, then gains can still occur.

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/Can-you-really-not-build-muscle-while-loosing-fat-m4817916.aspx

I think what you are getting at is because it's a female and she won't have much testosterone in her to grow how a newbie male would. So I see your point in saying she can't and won't be able to. Not unless she's roided up anyway.

I'll see if I can find some pics of a natty female/newbie who's gained while lost.

No, what I'm getting that is that even newbie gains in muscle mass aren't enough to make your arms literally bigger.

It's not about gaining some small amount of muscle mass. It's about breaking out the tape measure and showing me someone whose arms got larger.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Go read the OP again. It's literally a woman who thinks her muscles get bigger while she's losing weight, and that it makes her "bulkier" and "manish."

This is literally impossible.

OMFG

bulky is not mannish.

I hate seeing this. This is a trend that makes me angry.

jonnthan- anger isn't toward you really- but well- media and misuse of words. I hate it- angry. makes me angry.

Agreed. Why do women think that being strong is unattractive? There are a few VERY strong women in my Crossfit box, and as far as I know all of them have boyfriends.

This is more about mistaking "skinny" for "feminine" than anything else.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    so unless you're a certain inch size you can't look bulky? and becasue you're a woman if you drop body fat, your defined muscles can't look masculine? what does it matter if someone gained inches and bulked up? if you look bulky you look bulky. a person doesn't need to gain to look bulky if it's already there. there are plenty of women with broad shoulders, large quads, large calves, big arms, naturally and sometimes working them just makes them bigger which some women don't like.

Women can "bulk" quite quickly and easily from over-eating and being sedentary. In that case, the bulk is from fat. I've lost 26% of my original bulk from eating at a caloric deficit.

bulk = size
  • JaxDemon
    Options
    Merely trying to add another perspective to the discussion, and responding a specific part of a specific post, not the whole thread. If you don't want to acknowledge that a woman may feel herself to be too 'bulky' despite the scientific difficulties in that matching up to your view of that term, please, continue on in blissful ignorance.

The entire thread is about change over time. It's not about being bulky or having muscle, it's about getting bulky or gaining muscle.

You can have muscle or not have muscle. You can be bulky or not be bulky. That's not what this is about. This is about whether you can BECOME bulkier or GAIN muscle while losing weight.

Am I reading that right. You are saying you can't gain muscle while losing weight?

Not to any significant degree, no. Certainly you can't gain enough muscle in a caloric deficit to make a body part larger.

Beg to differ and this video pretty much sums it up in how you can lose fat and gain muscle.

summary: eat 40% protein, don't eat all your protein blob at the same time or your 'nuclear reactor' well go off so eat 5-6 globs of protein spaced out per day lol (um, many people IF here and show vast improvements in body composition and the whole 'many meals a day' and 'you can only absorb little amounts of proteins at one time' theories proven wrong many moons ago...). He also goes on to say you need to eat unprocessed foods, 'good' fats are only from whole foods it seems,

This guy is batty.

Yes the advice will vary from person to person but the principles are the same regarding protein intake. But take leangains as an example the creator not only lost weight but he also gained muscle while in calorie deficit and many others have done the same following it so that alone proves it can be done but as I said in my previous post womens genetics are a lot different so I can see where the other dude is coming from when he says SHE has not gained muscle while cutting.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Oh god, Scooby.

No matter what Scooby says, and I am not watching his video, you cannot make any body parts larger while in a calorie deficit. It just doesn't happen.

You're calling someone else misinformed while using a YouTube video for evidence? Not exactly a credible source. Especially Scooby, who freely admits he has no knowledge of biology or physiology.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    and for those who missed it, my doing cardio every day self (same pic, one over processed so you can actually see my shape):
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg

and my 'bulky' lifting self at the same weight:
    photo.jpg

:drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    16 pages of arguing over semantics. Awesome.

Semantics? Or biology?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

A person who has previously had no muscular definition to speak of might very well start to feel that their muscles "take up much space" once they become visible on a body that is shrinking in overall size. I'm not really sure why you think "objectively wrong" matters so much in a person's self-evaluation/perception (subjective), either.

This is the exact point he's trying to make.

He's trying to point out that most of it is perception and that those aren't "packing on mass", in such a short time.
  • JaxDemon
    Options

Tony Barnes

No, what I'm getting that is that even newbie gains in muscle mass aren't enough to make your arms literally bigger.

It's not about gaining some small amount of muscle mass. It's about breaking out the tape measure and showing me someone whose arms got larger.

I seen the pics of said women. One pic shows arm slightly raised while the other pic show the arm is slightly lowered, I see no change in muscle size in those pics tbh.

I'm 110% sure though it can be done though.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Then show us some examples of people whose body parts got larger while on a calorie deficit. You've spent three pages linking to Scooby videos and talking about general stuff, while the entire time I've been asking for examples to prove it can be done. If you're so sure, and it's so common, then just show us a few.
  • JaxDemon
    Options

Oh god, Scooby.

No matter what Scooby says, and I am not watching his video, you cannot make any body parts larger while in a calorie deficit. It just doesn't happen.

You're calling someone else misinformed while using a YouTube video for evidence? Not exactly a credible source. Especially Scooby, who freely admits he has no knowledge of biology or physiology.

See my other link http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/Can-you-really-not-build-muscle-while-loosing-fat-m4817916.aspx

People who have posted have knowledge of biology and physiology :-)

Scooby is just one example of many people who say you can lose weight and GAIN muscle :-)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    16 pages of arguing over semantics. Awesome.

Semantics? Or biology?

The ones arguing semantics are the ones claiming that women are gaining muscle and getting bulky in a deficit.

No matter how many times the rest of us push the biology, they keep arguing semantics. It's a losing battle with people who will not read carefully enough to learn. This thread is pretty much focused on the lurkers who know enough to not post, and instead read.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

summary: Most people can gain muscle and lose fat on a deficit by eat 40% protein, don't eat all your protein blob at the same time or your 'nuclear reactor' well go off so eat 5-6 globs of protein spaced out per day lol (um, many people IF here and show vast improvements in body composition and the whole 'many meals a day' and 'you can only absorb little amounts of proteins at one time' theories proven wrong many moons ago...). He also goes on to say you need to eat unprocessed foods, 'good' fats are only from whole foods it seems (olives, not olive oil for example). Body builders are great at gaining muscle...and many eat tons of processed foods. And you cannot gain muscle eating cheeseburgers LOLOLOL and you need to do cardio for 40 minutes a day.....Don't forget to carb cycle...

This guy is batty.

Yes the advice will vary from person to person but the principles are the same regarding protein intake. But take leangains as an example the creator not only lost weight but he also gained muscle while in calorie deficit and many others have done the same following it so that alone proves it can be done but as I said in my previous post womens genetics are a lot different so I can see where the other dude is coming from when he says SHE has not gained muscle while cutting.
    I didn't see anyone state that it is not possible for a person to gain muscle on a calorie deficit. The person above just said 'not to any significant degree'. As for making a body part larger...I had a rant about this the other day....but if your an obese male that was previously muscular before, then I have no idea. I doubt it...to drop 1lb of fat from an area you'd have to put on several lbs of muscle to be the same volume, and more to be larger. So yes, to me, it seems unlikely. I just was pointing out that...please don't listen to that video it's full of lies and a terrible reference lol.

Edited to add: leangains guy went through many bulk and cut phases as you can see by reading many of his blog posts. But of all blog posts, that's probably a one I'd listen to. Unfortunately using him when he's gone through many bulk and cuts fails to prove your point.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oh god, Scooby.

See my other link http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/Can-you-really-not-build-muscle-while-loosing-fat-m4817916.aspx

Scooby is just one example of many people who say you can lose weight and GAIN muscle :-)

Just because people online say something doesn't make it true. You're swallowing stuff just because someone with an air of authority said it's so (and you want to believe it). Give it a break.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Oh god, Scooby.

Please read what has been posted here because you clearly haven't.

Gaining muscle in a deficit is possible but =/= getting bigger or "bulky."

It's all be explained in here repeatedly.

And no. I'm not reading anything on muscletalk.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I was looking through my photobucket and found a "before" "bulking" picture.

It was right around the time I started boxing (Feb 22, 2012)
    Fast forward a year and a half and check the after.

I LOOK stronger, I FEEL stronger, and I AM stronger, but when you compare size, I am definitely NOT bulkier. I am the SAME SIZE if not SMALLER overall.

I weigh less
    But I look a lot stronger.

PhotoGrid_1377875283352_zps19196e51.jpg

If you don't like the cut look, then don't go as low in the body fat department as I have.
  • JaxDemon
    Options

Then show us some examples of people whose body parts got larger while on a calorie deficit. You've spent three pages linking to Scooby videos and talking about general stuff, while the entire time I've been asking for examples to prove it can be done. If you're so sure, and it's so common, then just show us a few.

I will see what I can find but might take awhile.