Women who put on muscle fast

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have a propensity to gain muscle very quickly too. This site is unfortunately full of a lot of people preaching whatever they hear. ''Squats are the best exercise ever!'' ''Counting calories is the only way to lose weight!'' I lift heavy and my muscles did in fact grow a lot from it. Perhaps that's not the ''norm'' when it comes to the majority of women, but claiming that woman who lift don't bulk up is pure B.S. Some of us do.

lulz.

I think we would all just love to see pictures from the ones making these claims, yourself included. Less talk and more "proof."

The pictures posted in this thread thus far certainly aren't helping your side of this discussion.

44866138_6771.jpg

My quads and arms have grown significantly from lifting heavy. Again, perhaps not the ''norm'' but I do in fact put on muscle quickly.

That photo is of a slender woman, not "mannish" at all.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have a propensity to gain muscle very quickly too. This site is unfortunately full of a lot of people preaching whatever they hear. ''Squats are the best exercise ever!'' ''Counting calories is the only way to lose weight!'' I lift heavy and my muscles did in fact grow a lot from it. Perhaps that's not the ''norm'' when it comes to the majority of women, but claiming that woman who lift don't bulk up is pure B.S. Some of us do.

lulz.

I think we would all just love to see pictures from the ones making these claims, yourself included. Less talk and more "proof."

The pictures posted in this thread thus far certainly aren't helping your side of this discussion.
    I'd also like to see the pics of the bald spots these women undoubtedly must get as a result of having such high testosterone levels.

YES! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

lulz.

I'd also like to see the pics of the bald spots these women undoubtedly must get as a result of having such high testosterone levels.

^^ HA!
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

lulz.

44866138_6771.jpg

My quads and arms have grown significantly from lifting heavy. Again, perhaps not the ''norm'' but I do in fact put on muscle quickly.

That photo is of a slender woman, not "mannish" at all.
    I agree. I don't consider myself mannish nor do I dislike what lifting heavy has resulted in, but I do pack on muscle fast. Again, perhaps not the ''norm'' but it is in fact the case for some of us.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Jesus this thread. I think a lot of people are confused about the differences both real and perceived that occur when a person starts training.
    Plenty of un- or de-trained individuals would not even be able to flex their bicep and make a 'hard' muscle effect but after a few weeks of lifting weights they are developing a modicum of muscle control and now all of a sudden they're hyooooge.

Also noob gains is a real phenomenon which a lot of people here are either seemingly not aware of or choose to ignore it. For women noob gains are especially apparent because they usually are less active as teens although there are plenty of men with very little muscle mass before their begin training. Even if you did add weight as a combination of muscle water and glycogen the process will not continue infinitely.

Finally if any of the women above who think they're bordering on mutant ability to build muscle choose to ignore this then I suggest you join the nearest sports club of some description because clearly with such wonderful growth ability and naturally elevated hormones you'll be ready for the next olympics in no time.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The stupid in this thread is unbelievable.

You are not special. If you are genuinely adding actual muscle mass that you don't want, you are eating too much. Lifting (especially the modest weights most of the women complaining in this thread are likely using) does not "pack on muscle" by itself, let alone "really fast." You THINK you are gaining muscle because, if you are in a deficit, lifting, and eating adequate protein, you are losing body fat, which makes whatever muscle you DO have more visible.

Please, for the love of righteousness, educate yourselves about how fat gain/loss and muscle gain/loss happen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I can verify that putting on muscle fast (for a man or woman) is more an individual observance rather than an objective one. I've trained a couple of hundred people in my career and NEVER had one that gained muscle fast on a calorie deficit. How do I know? Because we tracked measurements, took pictures and checked body fat %. Many looked more muscular, but that doesn't equate to muscle building.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Oh, noes! I'm doing it wrong!

All this time I thought women had to eat at a surplus to build muscle.

I can DO this and still eat at a deficit?

//headdesk//
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    why_so_mean.jpg
  • TX_RattleSnake
    Options
    1377571935.jpg?t=1377571936

1377750952.jpg

How long would you guess I have been lifting? Arms has only been three months and I am up to 15-20 pounds right now. Legs has been all body weight exercises.

I would also like to add this is all while at calorie deficit.

I really don't see any definition
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Preeeeetty sure my arms haven't gotten bigger. My whole body has gotten significantly SMALLER, and my arms are more defined, which perhaps make my bicep look slightly bigger. Same with my legs.

ry%3D480

^^^8 month & 17-pound difference between these two pics.

I also don't understand what is so bad about having the appearance of bigger muscles. I guess I should just chalk it up to personal preference, but it bothers me that so many women think visible muscles = manly.

ETA: I'm 191lbs. I know this isn't a "heavy lifting" thread, but I want to disprove the fact that lifting makes you bigger. I still have quite a bit of weight to lose on my 5'6" frame, but I in no way think I look like 191 pounds.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Preeeeetty sure my arms haven't gotten bigger. My whole body has gotten significantly SMALLER, and my arms are more defined, which perhaps make my bicep look slightly bigger. Same with my legs.

ry%3D480

^^^8 month & 17-pound difference between these two pics.

I also don't understand what is so bad about having the appearance of bigger muscles. I guess I should just chalk it up to personal preference, but it bothers me that so many women think visible muscles = manly.

Wow! Yeah, definitely smaller/tightened up. Especially around the hip and thigh area. NICE!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I think many of you are mistaking muscle gains for loss of fat. Mostly likely, your muscles were always like that, but the loss of fat around them makes them appear larger or more defined.

Mind games vs science.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The stupid in this thread is unbelievable.

^^.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I think many of you are mistaking muscle gains for loss of fat. Mostly likely, your muscles were always like that, but the loss of fat around them makes them appear larger or more defined.

Mind games vs science.

Yes. I've lost an inch off of my arms in the past few months and as my biceps and triceps have started to make an appearance it has caused some strangely beautiful optical illusion. My arms have shrunk but the shape has changed and sometimes I think they look bigger...but the tape measure doesn't lie.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Mind games vs science.

This

along with
    The stupid in this thread is unbelievable

this

seriously- are not bulky- mannish or big. You look like you have a reasonably low body fat percentage- which is giving you more definition. I think it looks good- well- actually- I think you would look better with a hair more size- PLUS that definition- but I'm partial to women with real muscles.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A lot of this is is just personal preference. Some women just don't like having much in the way of muscle deffinition. They consider it bulky. I'm perfectly ok with some muscle definition. I think strong is sexy.

I think it is incredibly hard to build new muscle. For the most part I think that what is happening is these ladies are changing eating habits and increasing excercise lowering their bf % and making their existing muscle more visible.

I started running a good amount last year. Anyway, I lost about 17lbs and even though running did nothing for my mom pooch, I suddenly had very well cut shoulders and the appearance of definintion in my arms as well. My arms look fine and could still be tighter, but where my traps are concerned, I feel like a bit of a genetic anomaly. I do recognize though, that if I posted pictures you'd all probably tell me I don't have hulking man shoulders. Which is another point some of this thinking that you have huge possibly unattractive muscles is just personal body image issues. Most of us hate something about ourselves.

Anyway, I definitely didn't gain muscle in my arms and shoulders from running and eating at a moderate deficit. I just lowered my body fat percentage a little bit and since you can't spot reduce my body chose to take the fat from my butt, shoulders, arms and boobs and leave the fat on my stomach and thighs alone. I realize that continuing to lower my bf would probably help some but now that I'm approaching the lower end of my healthy weight range I'm nervous about doing this.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I realize that continuing to lower my bf would probably help some but now that I'm approaching the lower end of my healthy weight range I'm nervous about doing this.
    If I may make a suggestion, you could start lifting more while eating a small surplus to gain muscle (I know it's hard!). That would move you away from the lower end of your healthy weight range, change your body composition favorably, and increase your metabolic rate.

I'm going to lose weight very, very slowly, because I don't want to lose any muscle mass. If I want to get to an ideal body fat %, I'll have to be near the bottom of my healthy weight range too; in fact, I'd have to be lighter than I have been since probably 1989! :laugh: I'd just as soon not have to try to lose a bunch of weight and then try to add muscle without adding much fat. Plus I get to eat more the whole time! :drinker:

(edit: typo)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Mind games vs science.

This

along with
    The stupid in this thread is unbelievable

this

seriously- are not bulky- mannish or big. You look like you have a reasonably low body fat percentage- which is giving you more definition. I think it looks good- well- actually- I think you would look better with a hair more size- PLUS that definition- but I'm partial to women with real muscles.

Yup.

I would rather me muscular and "bulky" than fat EVERY DAMN DAY OF THE WEEK.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if I put on muscle easily, or just have a lot of muscle to begin with. I weigh 15 pounds more than my sister does, in spite of having the same wrist, elbow, ankle, waist and height measurements, a smaller chest circumference and the same width across the shoulders. I have noticeably larger legs, arms, glutes and back muscles.