Women who put on muscle fast

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if I put on muscle easily, or just have a lot of muscle to begin with. I weigh 15 pounds more than my sister does, in spite of having the same wrist, elbow, ankle, waist and height measurements, a smaller chest circumference and the same width across the shoulders. I have noticeably larger legs, arms, glutes and back muscles.

You started out at the same weight, started lifting, gained 15lbs of muscle mass......in a caloric deficit?

Who said anything about a calorie deficit? I eat to maintain. I've been exercising most of my life. It's too late for controlled experiments.

Your diary?

My diary does not show eating at a deficit. I eat a little under, and only a little under, what MFP estimates for my TDEE, because MFP overestimates my burns from exercise. My measurements show maintenance.

I guess our definition of "a little under" may be different....either way.

So 15 lbs packed on at Maintenance?

Your selective reading comprehension is leading you to conclusions that I didn't state. I said that I may have "had a lot of muscle to begin with." Some people have larger muscles than other people, even without strength training. However, I don't have any way to know if I just had large muscles, or if training for sports made a difference, especially since I did a power sport.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I swore for years that I put on muscle fast. As soon as I started lifting my measurements and weight went up. My clothes fit tighter and I looked much bigger. Now as a competitive bodybuilder I realize it was mostly swelling and fat, not huge muscles. My legs were the worse and I find now that I have low body fat that's where I store most of my fat.
    In these two pictures I have the same amount of lean mass, but different body fat.
    IMG_20130829_104515_zps5ed7cfee.jpg
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    Once again, I am a competitive bodybuilder with low fat, so you will not get a back like the second picture without working hard for it.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if I put on muscle easily, or just have a lot of muscle to begin with. I weigh 15 pounds more than my sister does, in spite of having the same wrist, elbow, ankle, waist and height measurements, a smaller chest circumference and the same width across the shoulders. I have noticeably larger legs, arms, glutes and back muscles.

You started out at the same weight, started lifting, gained 15lbs of muscle mass......in a caloric deficit?

Who said anything about a calorie deficit? I eat to maintain. I've been exercising most of my life. It's too late for controlled experiments.

elbow? why are you measuring your elbow?

wrist elbow ankle and height are all fixed points that unless you under go tremendous surgery you aren't going to change and are not great indicators of fat. They are some of the LAST places to get fat typically.

Exactly. The elbow is an indicator of bone structure, not body fat. That's why we measure it. My point was that with similar bone structures, the same height and similar body fat percentages, I still weigh 15 pounds more than my sister.
    loooooool

So two people with 'similar' bone structure and 'similar' body fat percentages weigh a different number? What a shocker. Its got to be all muscle though right?? Couldn't be the incremental difference in height, bf or bone structure that you seemingly so scientifically measured.....

Also if you're eating AT MAINTENANCE you can't gain weight ergo you aren't gaining muscle mass, certainly not 15lbs of it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many times I have to say this...

IT IS OKAY TO PREFER SMALL, LESS DEFINED MUSCLES. IT IS NOT OKAY TO SAY OR IMPLY THAT MUSCLES ARE "MANY", "MASCULINE", ON "UNFEMININE" (OR "GROSS" OR "EW" OR WHATEVER).
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I get defined pretty easily and compete in bodybuilding competitions, albeit in the bikini division, but still. In my case, obviously it is intentional and has just as much to do with what I eat as how much I workout.

Yeah, but you understand the difference between being more defined and "packing on" muscle.

no one is "accidentally" packing on muscles.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are fast to say it takes a lot for a woman to bulk and that's not really true. I know that I don't like muscular arms and that's why I don't lift heavy. I may not bulk up like a body builder, but lifting heavy can give me Jillian Michaels arms and I don't like that.

People need to realize the reason why man is in woman. A woman can bulk up too. It takes hardly any lifting for some women to get muscular arms fast. Every woman is different and people need to realize that.

Man is in woman why? For a good time? Giggity! Or is this just a quirk of the English language. Why, maybe!

As to Jillian Michaels' arms....

main-jillian-michaels.jpg

I'd say being lean is probably her biggest asset in that. If you aren't lean, you aren't going to have her arms.

or do you mean the strong shoulders and arms that are shown here (and possibly slightly photoshopped...)

jillian_michaels_leaning.jpg

She's been working out for years to get to that.
    I'm a guy and I'd love to understand how you all "get muscle" so quick. And on a deficit. Because I don't. You must be testosterone godesses.

My suggestion is that what you are seeing isn't muscle but the layer of fat on top of muscle and perhaps a bit of water retention.
    You might think you are bulking up and it might appear to you as that but unless you are at a low bodyfat% and then muscly ... well it isn't muscle.

Or, if it really is, please share your method because it beats the months of training I've been trying to complete.

It's not the methods, it's the genes.
    I assumed she meant she gets bulbous muscles, which is what I get and consider bulky.

Let's put it a visual way.

labo_rmn3tjambesx400.jpg

In a normal person you can see above the fat layers on the left and the water content on the right. What you think is "bulbous" muscle isn't - or is at best normal muscle covered by layers of fat. If you think that you are building significant muscle - you are not, this is physiologically limited and requires significant hormonal activity from testosterone and/or steroids what you are seeing is water loading of existing muscle and the fat layers.

During the process of exercising swelling increases and creates a swollen look from water retention due to both imflamation and glucose compartimentalisation.

It appears bulky but it isn't muscle building which takes a lot of time and effort. And protein.

Awesome, thank you for the lesson, that's actually awesome to know. =]
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you put on muscle quickly, you put on muscle quickly. That's how your body is. There's no point in longing for something different--- be happy that you have visual evidence of your strength, & then stop worrying about what you're "supposed" to look like

Actually, strength training is a choice. If you don't want to be more muscular you can choose not to lift heavy, or to not lift at all. There are tradeoffs. If you care about performance and strength, you might not reach your full potential without looking more muscular. It's a dilemma for some athletes whose sports demand looking very slim.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio to counter my naturally tendency to put on muscle quickly. I also spend a lot of time working on flexibility, as big muscles seem to go hand-in-hand with no flexibility.

Edited to add:
    Some men have a hell of a time putting on muscle, too. Some can bulk up by walking around a weight room for a few minutes a day (or so it seems). We are all made up of different stuff and our bodies respond differently depending on genetics.

Based on body composition tests, I added muscle and lost fat while eating a deficit and doing primarily cardio exercises. This summer I began doing upper body work and was able to go from utter weakling to doing 3 chin ups with just 3 weeks of daily training. I'm also perimenopausal, so my testosterone levels are lower than it would be for an average woman in her 20's. The body is very, very complex. One workout program does not fit everyone, and we need to know our own bodies in order to reach our personal fitness goals.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio to counter my naturally tendency to put on muscle quickly. I also spend a lot of time working on flexibility, as big muscles seem to go hand-in-hand with no flexibility.

Okay. That's it. My stomach hurts. I can't laugh anymore today or my calorie deficit is going to go too high and I'll hit starvation mode. :laugh:
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I personally love the fact I am putting on muscle. I've been working with a trainer for a year now but over the last few months we have been getting serious. Or I should say I have been getting serious, he's been there all along. I work out hard for 3-5 hours a week depending on my work timetable.

My overall bodyfat doesn't seem to be changing but that could be my crappy scales telling lies and making things up, it seems to fluctuate quite a bit but I can feel a major difference in my body.

My shoulders are much more muscular, as is my chest and my back. These are lowish body fat areas for me so they are starting to get quite defined. My legs are much stronger and now I can see the muscles moving and contracting when I lift weights seated.... watching them distracts me from the pain

Yes ideally my shoulders and upper arms would be a little smaller, I'm hoping the remaining fat being lost will help with this but that's because they have bulked up a little and are too big to fit in my favourite jacket comfortably at the moment but I still prefer the way the look now to then. And yes they have bulked up, when I started I couldn't even tense my left bicep there was such poor muscle definition, now I can so the muscle has grown but the fat hasn't really decreased much.

Its not been quick though, its been a long hard process its taken me a year to get to where I am but the last four months I have been working out much more and harder and the difference tells.

Most importantly my body is stronger, I'm fitter and I can move much more easily and smoothly than before I started.
    All I got to do now is shift the exceptionally stubborn body fat and I'm laughing....its super stubborn though and its coming off so slowly. My trainer says I am definitely changing shape though so I'm going to have to try and put my poor body image aside and believe him on that.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Your selective reading comprehension is leading you to conclusions that I didn't state. I said that I may have "had a lot of muscle to begin with." Some people have larger muscles than other people, even without strength training. However, I don't have any way to know if I just had large muscles, or if training for sports made a difference, especially since I did a power sport.

You still have to feed it to build it.

You posted in a topic about putting muscle on fast. How else is one to comprehend what you meant in the 15lb difference other than the conclusion you meant you gained muscle fast compared to another person?
  • mustang586
    Options
    ***CATALYST***

I am the same way. I am built like my dad which means a Linebacker! I have started working out again, but, I am now using Catalyst from AdvoCare. It seems to help. It helps you retain your lean muscle while working off the fat. I can still see my muscle definition in my arms and legs, but, it's not the "bulky" muscle like before. It's been a God sent.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You still have to feed it to build it.

You posted in a topic about putting muscle on fast. How else is one to comprehend what you meant in the 15lb difference other than the conclusion you meant you gained muscle fast compared to another person?

Keep in mind that the sole comparison is to the poster's sister. There is no objective measure here and no pictures with dates for comparison. Her sister could simply have less body mass. It would therefore be as valid to conclude that her sister is below average as it would be to conclude that the poster is above average in this way.

ETA: To avoid confusion, because . . . LOLs, the point is that the conclusion that the poster has drawn is not supported by the evidence provided.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Preeeeetty sure my arms haven't gotten bigger. My whole body has gotten significantly SMALLER, and my arms are more defined, which perhaps make my bicep look slightly bigger. Same with my legs.

ry%3D480

^^^8 month & 17-pound difference between these two pics.

I also don't understand what is so bad about having the appearance of bigger muscles. I guess I should just chalk it up to personal preference, but it bothers me that so many women think visible muscles = manly.

ETA: I'm 191lbs. I know this isn't a "heavy lifting" thread, but I want to disprove the fact that lifting makes you bigger. I still have quite a bit of weight to lose on my 5'6" frame, but I in no way think I look like 191 pounds.

You look great- muscle definition is NOT manly!
    I for one am seriously enjoying the new-found definition. I thought my muscles were growing but I realise that they are just showing!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Okay. That's it. My stomach hurts. I can't laugh anymore today or my calorie deficit is going to go too high and I'll hit starvation mode. :laugh:

I saw no double entrendre in my post. But I'm glad you got humor from it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I get defined pretty easily and compete in bodybuilding competitions, albeit in the bikini division, but still. In my case, obviously it is intentional and has just as much to do with what I eat as how much I workout.

Yeah, but you understand the difference between being more defined and "packing on" muscle.

Exactly. Nor does one pack on a crapload of muscle doing 3-6 months of 3-4x week 1-2 hour training sessions.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

Exactly. Nor does one pack on a crapload of muscle doing 3-6 months of 3-4x week 1-2 hour training sessions.

but, it is funny that they think they will.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

zDcF7.gif
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Exactly! I think there is a lot of confusion between the appearance of muscle definition and true gains in muscle mass. If your biceps go from 12"'s to 15"'s while maintaining or losing body fat%, then yes you've gained some muscle mass. Anybody who starts lifting as a newbie is going to gain some fractional inches but real mass gains are completely different.

If it was possible to add meaningful amounts of muscle mass while cutting or even eating at maintenance, then bodybuilders would not bother going through a bulk phase and then a cutting phase, the bulk phase would just be eliminated. Strength gains are not necessarily representative of muscle hypertrophy. All you have to do is look at a pro-powerlifter side-by-side with a pro-bodybuilder of the same weight class. The BB is going to be more massive but not nearly as strong. Strength and Size are not necessarily indicative of each other.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I saw no double entrendre in my post. But I'm glad you got humor from it.

He's laughing because your post makes zero sense.