Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I put on muscle pretty easily. Look. I put on 14lbs

20127619_7924.jpg20127619_65.jpg

.... of not all muscle.
    Eating 2500-3000 calories a day.
    Lifting heavy weights 2 to 5 days a week.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio to counter my naturally tendency to put on muscle quickly. I also spend a lot of time working on flexibility, as big muscles seem to go hand-in-hand with no flexibility.

Okay. That's it. My stomach hurts. I can't laugh anymore today or my calorie deficit is going to go too high and I'll hit starvation mode. :laugh:

I saw no double entrendre in my post. But I'm glad you got humor from it.

He's laughing because your post makes zero sense.

Ever done a bulking phase? One avoids cardio in order to grow muscle mass, as cardio can be catabolic. If the goal is to reduce muscle mass, one would engage in a lot of cardio. ie; more cardio= lower muscle mass= less bulk.

This probably has to do with slow twitch versus fast twitch ratio within a person. My biology education is at the undergrad level, so I'm not up on the minutia of cellular composition.

I find it interesting all the boys commenting on this thread about how a female body is supposed to respond to exercise. Get over yourselves, fellas.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting all the boys commenting on this thread about how a female body is supposed to respond to exercise. Get over yourselves, fellas.

see the post just above this one?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. seriously

I love it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I get terribly fed up with being told women don't bulk up, or women don't look like body builders without steroids. I put on muscle very easily, and although I don't end up looking like a body builder when I do heavy weights, I certainly get rather manish in the arms and legs. When I rowed a lot I had very big arm and thigh muscles, and was certainly not on steroids. I didn't even eat much protein by most people's standards (being vegetarian).

So are there any other women on here like me, who actually do get big muscles doing weights, and don't really want them?
    Pictures so I don't think these people are unicorns. 'Cause there's never before and after pics in these threads.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I love it.

It's beginning to make my day.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio to counter my naturally tendency to put on muscle quickly. I also spend a lot of time working on flexibility, as big muscles seem to go hand-in-hand with no flexibility.

Edited to add:
    Some men have a hell of a time putting on muscle, too. Some can bulk up by walking around a weight room for a few minutes a day (or so it seems). We are all made up of different stuff and our bodies respond differently depending on genetics.

Based on body composition tests, I added muscle and lost fat while eating a deficit and doing primarily cardio exercises. This summer I began doing upper body work and was able to go from utter weakling to doing 3 chin ups with just 3 weeks of daily training. I'm also perimenopausal, so my testosterone levels are lower than it would be for an average woman in her 20's. The body is very, very complex. One workout program does not fit everyone, and we need to know our own bodies in order to reach our personal fitness goals.

What type of body composition test?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Okay. That's it. My stomach hurts. I can't laugh anymore today or my calorie deficit is going to go too high and I'll hit starvation mode. :laugh:

Ever done a bulking phase? One avoids cardio in order to grow muscle mass, as cardio can be catabolic. If the goal is to reduce muscle mass, one would engage in a lot of cardio. ie; more cardio= lower muscle mass= less bulk.

This probably has to do with slow twitch versus fast twitch ratio within a person. My biology education is at the undergrad level, so I'm not up on the minutia of cellular composition.

I'm not a dude and I agree with everything they've said.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Sadly I completely understand where she's coming from. A lot of body builders just happen to be unflexible before they start doing bodybuilding in the first place and don't stretch when they continue on. I dated someone who use to ask me to get things off the bottom shelf at the grocery store.

I however have always been flexible, and the more weight I lift....I can still put my foot behind my head. I'm a novice but I can deadlift my bodyweight, so yeah...you can be flexible, do the splits, put your foot behind your head, and lift heavy weights.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    1377571935.jpg?t=1377571936

1377750952.jpg

How long would you guess I have been lifting? Arms has only been three months and I am up to 15-20 pounds right now. Legs has been all body weight exercises.

I would also like to add this is all while at calorie deficit.

Do you have before pictures so we can compare these gains? Do you know your body fat % before and now? Also, have you lost any weight and inches since you have started?

That's not what bulky muscles look like.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I think many of you are mistaking muscle gains for loss of fat. Mostly likely, your muscles were always like that, but the loss of fat around them makes them appear larger or more defined.

Mind games vs science.

Yes. I've lost an inch off of my arms in the past few months and as my biceps and triceps have started to make an appearance it has caused some strangely beautiful optical illusion. My arms have shrunk but the shape has changed and sometimes I think they look bigger...but the tape measure doesn't lie.

Mine have done kind of the same. As the tape measure had me down another half inch on my arms, it seems my leftover fat makes my arms appear larger because the flab all falls down with gravity when I flex. :laugh:
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    WOW...I browsed through this thread and I didn’t see a lot of bulky bodybuilder figured females...I see fat females. There is a huge difference.
    OP: You are very lean. Muscle will be more noticeable on your frame. Whether or not you think that looks “bulky” is a matter of opinion. I happen to think that is beautiful on a woman…. Nowhere near a “bodybuilder” or “manly” frame.
    To each their own… stick to cardio. :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Says the woman that writes "eat like a woman, train like a man". Ironic.

I studied human physiology, human cellular transport, comparative micro biology among other things. I could tell you how a fruit fly responds to cAMP inhibitors, no need to be a damn fruit fly to do so.

Edit:quotes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I love it.

It's beginning to make my day.

I'm having a **** day-AND I'm stupid hungry so my cranky is at an all time high- and yeah- this is making my day- really making my day.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    1377571935.jpg?t=1377571936

1377750952.jpg

How long would you guess I have been lifting? Arms has only been three months and I am up to 15-20 pounds right now. Legs has been all body weight exercises.

I would also like to add this is all while at calorie deficit.

Do you have before pictures so we can compare these gains? Do you know your body fat % before and now? Also, have you lost any weight and inches since you have started?

That's not what bulky muscles look like.
    Please post what a flexed unbulky muscle looks like so we have a comparison of what you are looking for...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    WOW...I browsed through this thread and I didn’t see a lot of bulky bodybuilder figured females...I see fat females. There is a huge difference.
    OP: You are very lean. Muscle will be more noticeable on your frame. Whether or not you think that looks “bulky” is a matter of opinion. I happen to think that is beautiful on a woman…. Nowhere near a “bodybuilder” or “manly” frame.
    To each their own… stick to cardio. :flowerforyou:

^ And from a woman who may just be a special snowflake when it comes to building real muscle and strength and has done it with plenty of cardio. :drinker:

But this thread continues to amuse me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I have a propensity to gain muscle very quickly too. This site is unfortunately full of a lot of people preaching whatever they hear. ''Squats are the best exercise ever!'' ''Counting calories is the only way to lose weight!'' I lift heavy and my muscles did in fact grow a lot from it. Perhaps that's not the ''norm'' when it comes to the majority of women, but claiming that woman who lift don't bulk up is pure B.S. Some of us do.

lulz.

I think we would all just love to see pictures from the ones making these claims, yourself included. Less talk and more "proof."

The pictures posted in this thread thus far certainly aren't helping your side of this discussion.

44866138_6771.jpg

My quads and arms have grown significantly from lifting heavy. Again, perhaps not the ''norm'' but I do in fact put on muscle quickly.

Before Pic?

Difference in measurement?

Is the PIC post lifting session?

How large of a caloric surplus are you at?

^this

you ARE stunning and have beautiful quads and arms...but I think we need more details.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

My reply wasn't an invitation to post more nonsense.
  • CoderGal
    Options

I studied human physiology, human cellular transport, comparative micro biology among other things. I could tell you how a fruit fly responds to cAMP inhibitors, no need to be a damn fruit fly to do so.

+1
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

+1

I didn't even recognize you from the avatar. Quite the departure from your regular pics.