Women who put on muscle fast

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about getting stronger really quickly, which some do. I think the OP was talking about actually putting on bulky muscles, which MOST women don't. My college roommate, however, was an exception. She used to go running while carrying a walkman -- yes, it was in the stone age -- and she had to alternate arms to avoid building up one huge bicep. I kid you not. Wish I had a pic to show.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    20130824_034836_zps70fb325f.jpg
    omg I LOVE your skirt! Where did you get it?!

CoderGal is that the leopoard print with the hip strap things?

I'm making it :) I was up at like 2 AM when I took those pictures- I'm so excited- I'm hoping to have it done tonight or tomorrow! Thank you by the way- I"M SO EXCITED about it. :D

And you'll be back with pictures, yes?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    20130824_034836_zps70fb325f.jpg
    omg I LOVE your skirt! Where did you get it?!

I'm making it :) I was up at like 2 AM when I took those pictures- I'm so excited- I'm hoping to have it done tonight or tomorrow! Thank you by the way- I"M SO EXCITED about it. :D

And you'll be back with pictures, yes?

Should be done tomorrow/tonight- I have a gig I want to wear it for- and if it comes out as fabulous as the last one- I will be HAPPY to share!!!

(and I am totally guessing if she was talking about mine- on my work computer- 3/4 of the pictures hosted through sites like photobucket or flicker- they don't show up. I can only see 2 actually sets of pictures- so I'm going on a limb to assume it was mine- I hope I wasn't judging wrongly!!!)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    :sad:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about getting stronger really quickly, which some do. I think the OP was talking about actually putting on bulky muscles, which MOST women don't. My college roommate, however, was an exception. She used to go running while carrying a walkman -- yes, it was in the stone age -- and she had to alternate arms to avoid building up one huge bicep. I kid you not. Wish I had a pic to show.

What does a Walkman weight.....like 2 pounds.

Even the old ones.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I saw an interesting set of anecdotes in one of those broscience sources. A trainer talked about how he had a man and woman on identical programs. (X reps of X% of max lift) for squats and other leg exercises.

The results? The woman actually gained size in her legs over a few weeks, and the man stayed stuck at the same size. The woman hadn't gained any weight, she increased her muscle density. On the flip side, the main did gain size in his upper body, and she did not.

Considering that women tends to be strong in the lower body (and have more muscle) for their size than men, it makes sense that some women can put on muscle more easily. Particular in the lower body.

This is also really noticeable, since women's pants have a pretty small radius of what they thing thigh size should be. So we notice.

It isn't a matter of "getting huge" but some women can gain size in ways that really impact clothing fit and options.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Even the old ones.
    See, and if it had been a *pink* walkman, she would have just gotten toned by working out with it, not hyooooogeeee! :tongue:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Even the old ones.

Probably. But her right bicep was HUGE before she realized what was happening. So she started alternating on every run to even them out. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    It isn't a matter of "getting huge" but some women can gain size in ways that really impact clothing fit and options.
    I'm a big believer in making the clothing (shoes) change to fit the actual human body, not the other way around.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Even the old ones.
    See, and if it had been a *pink* walkman, she would have just gotten toned by working out with it, not hyooooogeeee! :tongue:

Sorry, I didn't get that. :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    nm answered wrong post
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I swore for years that I put on muscle fast. As soon as I started lifting my measurements and weight went up. My clothes fit tighter and I looked much bigger. Now as a competitive bodybuilder I realize it was mostly swelling and fat, not huge muscles. My legs were the worse and I find now that I have low body fat that's where I store most of my fat.
    In these two pictures I have the same amount of lean mass, but different body fat.
    25%
    IMG_20130829_104515_zps5ed7cfee.jpg
    18%
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    Once again, I am a competitive bodybuilder with low fat, so you will not get a back like the second picture without working hard for it.

Just bumping my comparison pictures to show how body fat plays a roll. My muscles look much bigger without the fat. Initially my measurements all went up because of water retention and dropped as my body fat dropped.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Yup.

I would rather me muscular and "bulky" than fat EVERY DAMN DAY OF THE WEEK.

+1
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I swore for years that I put on muscle fast. As soon as I started lifting my measurements and weight went up. My clothes fit tighter and I looked much bigger. Now as a competitive bodybuilder I realize it was mostly swelling and fat, not huge muscles. My legs were the worse and I find now that I have low body fat that's where I store most of my fat.
    In these two pictures I have the same amount of lean mass, but different body fat.
    25%
    IMG_20130829_104515_zps5ed7cfee.jpg
    18%
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    Once again, I am a competitive bodybuilder with low fat, so you will not get a back like the second picture without working hard for it.

Just bumping my comparison pictures to show how body fat plays a roll. My muscles look much bigger without the fat. Initially my measurements all went up because of water retention and dropped as my body fat dropped.

Just bumping them again, because :heart:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

I was hatin' on pink dumbbells. The little tiny ones that some women do because they're afraid that if they lift anything heavier, they'll get all hulk smash. What they've been told is that high reps with these pink dumbbells will lead to "toning" (which doesn't mean what people think it means; what they mean to say is visible muscular definition) and not bulkiness. 99.999% of the time time (your friend's experience excluded), nobody female gets bulky unless they eat big and lift big for a long time or they're juicing (steroids) and they lift big and eat big for a less long time.

It wasn't a dig at you or your roommate at all, please understand. It was an eyeroll about the pink dumbbells phenomenon, that's all.
  • Achrya
    Options

I was hatin' on pink dumbbells. The little tiny ones that some women do because they're afraid that if they lift anything heavier, they'll get all hulk smash. What they've been told is that high reps with these pink dumbbells will lead to "toning" (which doesn't mean what people think it means; what they mean to say is visible muscular definition) and not bulkiness. 99.999% of the time time (your friend's experience excluded), nobody female gets bulky unless they eat big and lift big for a long time or they're juicing (steroids) and they lift big and eat big for a less long time.

It wasn't a dig at you or your roommate at all, please understand. It was an eyeroll about the pink dumbbells phenomenon, that's all.

Hey now. I bought some pink 1 pound dumbbells for my sister, don't hate.

I mean she's 4 and just kind flails them about while trying to mimic my mother, but I'm almost positive they weigh more than her little purse full of cheerios so I'm pretty sure she's getting a workout.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I mean she's 4 and just kind flails them about while trying to mimic my mother, but I'm almost positive they weigh more than her little purse full of cheerios so I'm pretty sure she's getting a workout.

I think it'll be time, soon, to upgrade those babies to 2lbs. Just saying. :tongue:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • Achrya
    Options

I think it'll be time, soon, to upgrade those babies to 2lbs. Just saying. :tongue:

Whoa whoa there Joy. Do you want my baby sister to turn into some kinda bulky man monster? Sheesh.

Also her form is awful. She does her 'deadlifts' starting from a full on *kitten* to the grass squat, then thrusts her butt up, then the rest of her body. And don't even get me started on her overhead press!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to attend college but I was afraid I would get a Ph.D.

:laugh: